Quote Originally Posted by Tygor View Post
    It's crazy to me that people try to justify an illegal action (illegal in however you want to describe it) just because they liked doing it. For those that think there's nothing illegal with the servers, I'd argue that the individual users are more at fault for misusing the client. It reminds me of when the RIAA sued random people for obscene amounts of money in the early 2000s for using Napster for a couple of songs. Blizzard won't go after single users, but I think they probably could.

I don't want to turn this into a millennials argument, but man am i sick of the whole "this is really fun so I should be able to do it" routine for many things. Looking at this from the outside many people can see it's wrong and illegal, but those inside try to justify how they can keep doing it. Just an observation I see nearly every day.

Now get off my lawn and turn down your music!
    You ,must want Snowden in chains at least, maybe chained down to a torture chair?

Quote Originally Posted by lordbaldric View Post
    I hate people here demonizing Nost players. I probably paid Blizz $1000+ over the years, and I started playing Nost because it was way more fun for me. Blizz lost that fun factor a long time ago. So I wish well to all you liking WoD, but please stop demonizing us who like how it was in the old days...
    You are being "deminized" for stealing Blizzards property, not for liking vanilla.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    You only wish it was semantics. The trick about copyright law is you really can't be selective about how you enforce it. Or rather, you can't appear to look that way.
    Right, and if it was blizzard themselves doing it, it's their IP, no copyright infringement, and the people doing it can be volunteers.

Effectively, rendering your argument semantics.

And yes, you can, just look at Youtube, lol.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I hate people here demonizing Nost players. I probably paid Blizz $1000+ over the years, and I started playing Nost because it was way more fun for me. Blizz lost that fun factor a long time ago. So I wish well to all you liking WoD, but please stop demonizing us who like how it was in the old days...
    That's not the point. Believe me, I get why you would want to play on these servers, would love nothing more than a novelty server set up for this exact purpose. But people getting angry at Blizzard over this is a freaking joke. Any sane person who owns an IP would be uncool with people stealing it and illegaly handing it out for free.

You ,must want Snowden in chains at least, maybe chained down to a torture chair?
    Comparing national security and the legality surrounding a video games private servers is....what? That's a straw man if I've ever read one.
    Bleh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    That's not the point. Believe me, I get why you would want to play on these servers, would love nothing more than a novelty server set up for this exact purpose. But people getting angry at Blizzard over this is a freaking joke. Any sane person who owns an IP would be uncool with people stealing it and illegaly handing it out for free.
    The pragmatic solution ; Adopt them as part of the Blizz team, under sanction of being volunteers. Kind of like how CM's can (NOTE: CAN) be volunteers to a company.

No theft, people get to have fun, and there are no issues. Outside of the "We will go down with this sinking ship!" attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    Comparing national security and the legality surrounding a video games private servers is....what? That's a straw man if I've ever read one.
    If you are serious, it's the national security breach that should be treated much more harshly...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Well, that's what happens when you steal intellectual property and use it
    Go suck some more fat blizzard dick you Blizzard corporatist whore. MMO staff are Blizzard's asskissers.

Infracted [MoanaLisa]
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-04-07 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    When Burning Crusade came out people bitched that it was shit and they wanted vanilla back, when WotLK came out people bitched and said they wanted BC back, when Cata came out people bitched and said they wanted WotLK back. Humans by nature oppose change.

That's up to the company that owns it. It's like that fighting game for League of Legends that someone wanted to make. Riot told them so long as they make ZERO money off it and don't ask for money to make/run it, they're 100% cool with it. Hell they even advertised it.

Right, but they emulated the vanilla release schedule. Do you think that would work for long though after they finished the content for the game? That's where it becomes too much of a gamble. Part of Nosts charm was living the days of the game as they released it, I just don't see it lasting long after they finished the content cycle. I'm not saying living thru those days wouldn't be fun again, as if they did something like I said I would for sure roll on them every time with groups for the titles/mounts. I just could never see myself, being someone who's cleared everything in game while current, ever finishing the last raid and saying "You know what, I'll just stay here forever". There's too many good games on the market for me to ever consider doing that. Hell I've been bouncing between FFXIV, WoW, and a few other games based on how caught up in current content I am. I love WoW, current and old, I have fond memories of every expansion, even during the times when people claimed it was "at it's worst". I and many others (including Blizzard) just don't see the long term appeal in it.
    Thats a 2 year cycle though at least, and they could time the releases of content there with the gaps in current content. I'd say 2.5 years to give people time to clear naxx and gear up and enjoy it. They could then release TBC for people to move onto and continue, or start a couple new servers for classic or reset the servers and race again. And while it may be the case for you that "There's too many good games on the market for me to ever consider doing that" its certainly not the case for many others, myself included. I've tried most of them and I've had more fun in classic wow recently than I have in any mmo in years.

Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    Things look different when you're the one getting ripped off.
    But no one is getting ripped off here......

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    The difference between what they are doing being Illegal, is merely them being affiliated with Blizz or not.

That difference is very small. And how is it millenial to defend having fun? Do you LIKE being misreable?
    Millenial having fun has nothing to do with it. It's trying to justify something that is fun but illegal and playing the victim card. That's exactly what is happening.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue83 View Post
    Go suck some more fat blizzard dick you Blizzard corporatist whore. MMO staff are Blizzard's asskissers.
    You need to figure out how the real world works before you hurt yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue83 View Post
    And you are a freedom fighter, right?
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

7+ Year Old Account
    Really disappointed that this happened. That said, I seriously doubt anyone who works on WoW had any part in this happening. It was almost certainly some execs from Activision who sent the lawyers after Nostalrius.

Blizzard isn't the same "by gamers for gamers" type of company that they were 15 years ago. Today they are a publicly traded corporate machine led by out of touch board members - ruthless legal actions like this are to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    As an avid nostalrius fan I will say I can understand blizzard shutting the server down due to copyright issues. I think a lot of us are just annoyed with this because Nostalrius was the most fun we've seen from WoW in many many years, the retail version of the game is borderline unplayable at this point, and if blizz was to release this same type of server, most of us would gladly pay once more. But instead they decide to shut it down while at the same time still telling all of the old school fans "no classic server". It's their choice ultimately, but I think stuff like this is only going to drive a lot of long time fans away. Time will tell.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The pragmatic solution ; Adopt them as part of the Blizz team, under sanction of being volunteers. Kind of like how CM's can (NOTE: CAN) be volunteers to a company.

No theft, people get to have fun, and there are no issues. Outside of the "We will go down with this sinking ship!" attitude.
    Here's the problem though, those servers would still be taking resources, money and even people paying for the expansion out of the "main" game, when they most certainly want as many people as possible to pay for, and play, the expansion.

It's crazy to me that people try to justify an illegal action (illegal in however you want to describe it) just because they liked doing it. For those that think there's nothing illegal with the servers, I'd argue that the individual users are more at fault for misusing the client. It reminds me of when the RIAA sued random people for obscene amounts of money in the early 2000s for using Napster for a couple of songs. Blizzard won't go after single users, but I think they probably could.

I don't want to turn this into a millennials argument, but man am i sick of the whole "this is really fun so I should be able to do it" routine for many things. Looking at this from the outside many people can see it's wrong and illegal, but those inside try to justify how they can keep doing it. Just an observation I see nearly every day.

Now get off my lawn and turn down your music!
    Isn't it natural people react in this way? Back in the days you bought a game, movie or whatever and you could use it until you were fed up with it. You could even buy games like Quake and play against others. With WoW you can't do that. Of course one of the aspects with wow is it that it constantly evolves through patches, but some people just like wow as in vanilla or in TBC more than they like the current game so basically have "their" game taken away from them. It's all in the EUA and they knew it before they started playing. But imo it would be better if expansions in wow were more like standalone games, that way people who like vanilla more could still be subbed for some time of for a smaller charge.
    Last edited by barackohmama; 2016-04-07 at 07:02 AM.

Your post aside, did you respond to any argument? Because you didn't.

No, because they left me genuinely confused.

Deleted
    Millenial having fun has nothing to do with it. It's trying to justify something that is fun but illegal and playing the victim card. That's exactly what is happening.
    How are they trying to justify it? They literally just gave up as soon as the Notice from the lawyers came.

And how are they playing the victim card? These are people wanting to have something they find fun. They are not demanding legal fees or anything, they just made a petition to get to have their server.

How much hatred do you carry to wrap peoples passions to be some demented form of victimhood?