The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Sad move. It was so obviously gaining momentum and really showed how well the old model of character progression still worked in this day and age.
    If that was remotely true games like Wildstar and RIFT which use/d the same style progression as Vanilla would be bustling to the brim.

As I said earlier in the thread, the only people that played these servers were poor people that wouldn't pay for the retail version regardless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    I wouldn't go to the OTHER two big servers out there, FYI. Been reporting those as well.

May just want to look at another game. I heard WildStar is hardcore.
    The harcore crowd wasn't the only group to join Nostalrius. Also Wildstar and Vanilla WoW are not comparable by any margin.

Reporting servers doesn't do anything unless the hosts take donations. Other than that, it's all salt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    That wasn't the point I was making. Private servers always run (besides current expansion) on the last patch, which in Vanilla WoW was vastly different from many previous patches since its birth. Many people experienced Classic differently because its life cycle changed dramatically until the end.

This implies raids people play on classic servers were never intended to be played the way they are now, or group content. It changed over time and made the game (objectively) easier. Albeit it also changed the way specs played and made some even completely inert.
    For the most part this isn't true, Nost kept true to the patch it was technically in. You can't even get the Ivory Raptor anymore since we're in like patch 1.8 or 1.9 now?
    Hey everyone

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    I wonder how many would play if those servers would cost 10$ each month...
    My thinking as well if it cost them money for a game that would see no new content added at all would they pay for it knowing that the current live version keeps getting updated..

Also as other have said not surprised, just surprised it took them this long to shut it down.. Be interesting to see how far Blizz take it in regards to taking legal action against the owners of the server and as others have said when you steal others intellectual property don't be surprised when the authorities and the like show up at your door..

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    For the most part it's relatively similar though.
    That shows another problem we have with legacy realms, IF blizz ever decides to try this idea out they have to make some hard decisions; should it be 100% of the old code? (with that all the stupid things like s5 DKs if it starts with Naxx on a 3.0 one) any QoL changes? how hard should they punish griefing or wintrading? As a private realm the Nost Staff could do whatever they feel like doing (like reducing rare spawntimers).
    Thats just another reason why IF they dont want to make money off legacy realms it would be better to just punish the ones who try to make money off it, and/or even partnership projects like Nostalrius.

Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    Honestly, they should've let the server stay open to remind players how terrible vanilla really was. So much was just so broke, not to say the current iteration is perfect but there was so many problems and it was painful.
    ahh yeah they fixed all that on Nost, i did not play there but this was the best version of wow available to play. it was non profit yet people happily donated, cause like, why on earth would you give blizz any more money after the past few years

Quote Originally Posted by familiar View Post
    Hm, can someone explain the theft part? Nostalrius aren't using the original Blizzard server code, they coded that themselves. They also don't require modified client, you can download it from every other torrent tracker. Are they stealing my free time, which legally belongs to Blizzard?
    Blizzards models, content, items, characters, spells,art, story everything in the game. It's theft. It's not theirs to use or host. Hell, in the ToS it even states that we don't even own our own accounts and characters, let alone anything beyond that. If you ever clicked agree on the clients installer you agreed to their terms. It's text book definition theft.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    Honestly, they should've let the server stay open to remind players how terrible vanilla really was. So much was just so broke, not to say the current iteration is perfect but there was so many problems and it was painful.
    10+ years of server emulation prove this statement to be at most subjective. While I agree there is most likely a huge population who won't remember all the old boring shit previous iterations of WoW had -- people still enjoy it.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by familiar View Post
    Hm, can someone explain the theft part? Nostalrius aren't using the original Blizzard server code, they coded that themselves. They also don't require modified client, you can download it from every other torrent tracker. Are they stealing my free time, which legally belongs to Blizzard?
    Assets, Story, Game structure.

Your argument is, if I reprinted the Harry Potter novels on Plastic pages instead of Paper and sold them, that it wouldn't be Theft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reapocalypse View Post
    That shows another problem we have with legacy realms, IF blizz ever decides to try this idea out they have to make some hard decisions; should it be 100% of the old code? (with that all the stupid things like s5 DKs if it starts with Naxx on a 3.0 one) any QoL changes? how hard should they punish griefing or wintrading? As a private realm the Nost Staff could do whatever they feel like doing (like reducing rare spawntimers).
    Thats just another reason why IF they dont want to make money off legacy realms it would be better to just punish the ones who try to make money off it, and/or even partnership projects like Nostalrius.
    You want my honest opinion, they should go back and remaster Vanilla and go from there. Make more specs viable, maybe even add another raid tier then move into BC but again make some extra additions (if not a lot) to allow even more content.
    Hey everyone

This is basically the reason, it would have cut into Legion profits. God forbid Nost had a BC test server up as to help for a BC release... BC would have destroyed retail. They had to shut it down, it was going to completely fuck them the instant BC was released.
    Considering the private server is mostly filled with people that wouldn't play wow retail anyway that's a really laughable argument.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

For the most part this isn't true, Nost kept true to the patch it was technically in. You can't even get the Ivory Raptor anymore since we're in like patch 1.8 or 1.9 now?
    Wasn't the server also still technically in 1.12.1 talents? That is also where a huge part of the game changed over its cycle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    How about the game itself, did they remake that from scratch as well?

How do you think you'd see things if you were a game developer, owning an IP, someone takes it from the internet and re-develops the code almost to the point of being a complete match only for you to lose paying customers to an illegally created version? Honest answer here please.
    They already said that they don't want to do it, that's their take on it. It's not like they are mad. They are just shutting it down, cause legal reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    It's called knowing how the world works, you should look into that.
    The world works on approximate claims that are factually wrong?

Good job on admittin' to being a dummie, then.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    "They literally took a product that someone else made and used it for their own. Last time I checked WoW didn't come with user-end server applications."

Making my reference of Theft to the point of , "Point me to where they stole a whole product, literally."

Taking specific sets of data != Copy pasting a game and saying "It's mine lol"

But good try, you took my stuff out of context, maybe you even have basic reading comprehension?
    "I only took half a banana, so I didn't steal anything."
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    So sad to see Blizzard hates Vanilla that much. They hate their own base game which got them a huge playerbase

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Wasn't the server also still technically in 1.12.1 talents? That is also where a huge part of the game changed over its cycle.
    At the beginning yes, they fixed that though.
    Hey everyone

I didn't play on that server, but was considering trying it out to get a taste of what it was like to play before BC. Its sad to think that its gone, though. I liked the idea of going back and seeing the old quests and pre-cata zones. I bet the community is upset, and reasonably so. Its never fun to have the rug drug out from under you like that. Condolences are in order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

At the beginning yes, they fixed that though.
    How would they even achieve that, that sounds impossible.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    They already said that they don't want to do it, that's their take on it. It's not like they are mad. They are just shutting it down, cause legal reasons.

The world works on approximate claims that are factually wrong?

Good job on admittin' to being a dummie, then.
    No, the world works like this:

You can't take a product made by someone else, repackage it, and redistribute it. It's not - fucking - legal. How hard is it? You even said it yourself, it's a legal matter. Discussion should end there as there is nothing more to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Asotcha View Post
    I didn't play on that server, but was considering trying it out to get a taste of what it was like to play before BC. Its sad to think that its gone, though. I liked the idea of going back and seeing the old quests and pre-cata zones. I bet the community is upset, and reasonably so. Its never fun to have the rug drug out from under you like that. Condolences are in order.
    Well, don't stand on a stolen rug and you'll be fine.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche