Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    The key word is potential. A player who tries Nost because they just wanted to try WoW is still a potential customer whether they did purchase it or not.
    Well, I know quite a few people who play/played in private servers, and tbh I know more people who played in private servers as their first WoW experience and then bought WoW and subscribed for years (and likely never would otherwise because of how costy it is), or people that play in private servers plain and simple because they enjoy previous states of the game but not the current (pretty much different product), than I do people who addmitedly *only* play in p.s. because they're free, as a replacement to retail.

Not saying that's the majority, or even a lot of people. Just saying don't consider only the negative aspects. The f2p experience in retail is ridiculously short and unrepresentative of what the game is for the most part.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    It is ok, I think they got sued over their website packed with Blizzard copyrighted artworks
    Holy fuck, you can't possibly be this dense..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OreoLover View Post
    I would upload "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" to a blog. I'd make a few edits.

It would not be legal.
    Not a valid comparison, because over-simplification of the situation. But yeah, strawmen. And shit posts! Tons of it!

It is ok, I think they got sued over their website packed with Blizzard copyrighted artworks
    The dev kit and the open source project to produce the emulated servers is open source and perfectly legal. The product in which they are emulating with the server is not and never will be. The damn website where you can download the stuff even says that.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Fun is objective now?

You're funny, i'll give you that.
    "Fun" means nothing in the way you've used it. So congratulations.

Anybody can compare the game features in Vanilla to any other MMORPG. Vanilla falls flat in every regard.

You don't get to trot out nostalgia or "fun" (Whatever the hell that even means) every single time somebody points out how bad and dated Vanilla is by today's standards. That doesn't mean it was 12 years ago when it came out, but maybe stop holding so tightly onto the past, eh?

Especially when you see such exaggerated nonsense from people in this thread. Acting as if Blizzard threw their baby in the street to get run over by a car. Not only is there a pretty compelling argument to be made that the team behind this server is just abusing the fact that Blizzard was trying to take down their server to mask the fact that they weren't able to even fund the servers, but Blizzard has repeatedly given their reasoning why they are opposed to private Vanilla servers. And they're all really quite benign and reasonable.

It sucks that people can't play it anymore but did people really not think there would inevitably be a reckoning for a group of individuals who just flatout stole Blizzard's product?
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2016-04-07 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    People who have no idea what they're talking about and can't reconcile the fact that they've just grown past the game. So instead of it just being a normal function of basic human development, they talk about how shit the game is. And the way you can find this out is by listening to them talk about Vanilla servers. 99% of the time it's about some nostalgic point.

Because if you take an objective look at Vanilla today, it's shit by comparison to basically every MMO on the market right now.
    These are probably the same people who bought into the Wildstar hype as well. I know Towelliee is guilty of this and it still blinded by his 1% ism in Wow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Holy fuck, you can't possibly be this dense..
    It's okay tho, cause you got us covered with your smarts regarding how Nostalrius "literally stole WoW".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    "Fun" means nothing in the way you've used it. So congratulations.

Anybody can compare the game features in Vanilla to any other MMORPG. Vanilla falls flat in every regard.

You don't get to trot out nostalgia every single time somebody points out how bad and dated Vanilla is by today's standards. That doesn't mean it was 12 years ago when it came out, but maybe stop holding so tightly onto the past, eh?
    Does it anger you, that people can find Vanilla fun?

Are you really that misreable, that you have to try to rationalize your opinion, to me, a person who gives no shits, about how a number of people that is so large, that you cannot comprehend it, simply, impossibly could have fun with Vanilla?

At first i thought you were funny, now yer just sad, m8.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    You're right, the law is there to enforce protecting IPs. However, the law needs to be clarified in regard to who can own an IP, and what is considered a 'person' in the eyes of the law. Right now (completely unrelated) there are hundreds of laws on the books that benefit corporations because they are considered 'people' by the law. If all of a sudden corporations aren't people, then Wow stops being an intellectual property so long as it belongs to Blizzard. And that's where I take issue. You don't get to rake in billions of dollars in profit each year on what amounts to 1s and 0s in a database and then claim person hood. Especially when I do buy something and then I want to share it. Only would Democratically elected fools think that it's okay for you to tell someone what to do with their own stuff.

Sorry, but that's BS. If you want to write different laws, ones that actually make sense in regard to IPs and corporations, I'm down. But as long as there exists a way to share digital stuff, people are going to do it (by people, I mean myself and others) happily, without shame or remorse.
    This is THE most pedantic, paranoia filled lunacy I have ever read on these forums. This post would fit in perfectly with the Sovereign Person/ "Am I being detained?" club with no problems whatsoever.

This thread has grown past it's useful point by about 50 pages, but gems like this - worth slogging through.

/golfclap

Stood in the Fire Grimalkin of Old's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What a legal nonsense - I'm willing to pay for a product, but the owner refuses to provide it. After all I find a way, but the owner cuts that too. What is wrong with this business thinking?

Deleted
    Nostralius should never existed in the first place as it wasnt there property. Its like me taking a pic of a ex gf whose a model in the shower and enjoying it in the comfort of my own home /wink. Sure it doesnt cost me much just the power to switch on my phone to see it but i did do something illegal to get it and if i wanted to i could sell it and make some money. Would you guys/girls class it as stealing ?

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's okay tho, cause you got us covered with your smarts regarding how Nostalrius "literally stole WoW".
    I'm sorry, were they somehow allowed to take the game and make it accessible through other means than Battle.net? You not knowing fuck all about what defines stealing is not my problem, keep living the dream for all I care.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by familiar View Post
    What a legal nonsense - I'm willing to pay for a product, but the owner refuses to provide it. After all I find a way, but the owner cuts that too. What is wrong with this business thinking?
    And in legal terms, the only way for someone to provide a product that noone else is willing to, is to build their own. And in this case that excludes re-use of art, names, story, music and so on, basically every single piece of content that came with the original product.

Quote Originally Posted by familiar View Post

Absolutely nothing is wrong with this business thinking. Look at the monstrosities that China likes to call video games that are released. Literal theft that can't be touched due to botched copyright laws. Do you want the world flooded with games like that? I sure as hell don't. Supporting emulated servers such as this is just a step in that direction.
    Bleh

ITT people dont know how do private servers look like and call thievery

Deleted
    Everyone I know who played on Nost were actually only playing on it because they never played WoW and wanted to see why it was so hype or refused to play it due to the subscription. They lost potential sales with them. Most played for a few days and never went back.
    You can play retail wow without having to pay a subscription.

I can only tell from my own experience that without private servers, I probably would've never joined retail in the first place. Started 8 years ago on a TBC private server. Played for a week, and then thought "I need to play on an official server, it's gonna be so much better there."

If people actually choose to rather play on a private server than on an official one, then maybe that shows how much better the experience there is, and the fault lies with Blizzard.

I mean I think it's hilarious that Blizzard always says that Vanilla servers wouldn't be worth it, yet the private Vanilla servers that do exist threaten their business so much, they need to be shut down. Blizzard is so full of shit.

Does it anger you, that people can find Vanilla fun?

Are you really that misreable, that you have to try to rationalize your opinion, to me, a person who gives no shits, about how a number of people that is so large, that you cannot comprehend it, simply, impossibly could have fun with Vanilla?

At first i thought you were funny, now yer just sad, m8.
    Why do people like yourself immediately resort to this fallacy strawman of "Does it make you angry?" No, I couldn't care less what people found fun. Oh I know. It's because you have no actual counter so you make an emotion-based argument to try and pretend you've said anything worthwhile.

Sorry that your panties got in a bunch that I'm not participating in the circlejerk about how terrible Blizzard is for going after people who stole their intellectual property.

There are plenty of reasons to legitimately criticize the company. This most assuredly is not one of them. Their reasoning for not supporting private servers makes sense in every way unless you're some nostalgic-goggled child who can't get past a 12 year old game which is shit by objective standards now.

Oh and frankly I couldn't give a rats ass if you "thought I was funny."
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2016-04-07 at 08:06 AM.

Goes to show blizz cant handle any competition

So they resort to this cowardly move instead of making WoW great again

ITT people dont know how do private servers look like and call thievery
    You can't possibly be that thick.

Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    You can play retail wow without having to pay a subscription.

I can only tell from my own experience that without private servers, I probably would've never joined retail in the first place. Started 8 years ago on a TBC private server. Played for a week, and then thought "I need to play on an official server, it's gonna be so much better there."

If people actually choose to rather play on a private server than on an official one, then maybe that shows how much better the experience there is, and the fault lies with Blizzard.

Please, you know as well as anyone that playing to level 20 isn't playing WoW at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Loeve View Post

15,000 active players isn't competition. If any subscription based MMO fell to a sub number that low the game would have been taken offline or loaded with pay 2 win garbage 200k subs ago.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by pallyken View Post
    These are probably the same people who bought into the Wildstar hype as well. I know Towelliee is guilty of this and it still blinded by his 1% ism in Wow.
    I mean the devs themselves bought into their own hype about making Wildstar like Vanilla WoW.

And big fucking surprise, it's failing horribly. It's almost like people don't want to spend months and months trying to get to the end-game content. It's almost like time sinks aren't actual content.

How about that. It's almost like this was an explicit reason Blizzard slowly removed those features from WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Loeve View Post

Competition? Against what? Their own intellectual property that was ripped and used for free by an outside group?

Deleted
    Please, you know as well as anyone that playing to level 20 isn't playing WoW at all.
    You can play to level 100 for free, ever heard of the WoW token?