I am a bit shocked that this is still going. I mean the "debate" whether Blizzard had the right to do it. Or whether they are assholes to do so. Please, do not waste your time on this. I suggest we all talk about how to persuade Blizzard to change their mind of THEM hosting previous version (high unlikely but still more logical than be a lunatic and demand others property).

Please keep also in mind that the property is not just the actual C++ code! It is the lore, the plots, the quests (as a concept) and so much more. You cannot expect a company to give it that for free to a bunch of (talented) people that make money. The same if they even did not make money.
    Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    But you would offer the same Harry Potter. Nostalrius was vanilla.
    You would sell that reprinted Harry Potter. Nostalrius was free and there was no item shop or anything
    Ok if you got 2 theme parks one top of the end rides and the other not so good but has the rides you like. First one costs money the other doesnt so you go to the free one naturally as it has the rides you like and its free but in doing so you have taken money away from the top end theme park because if the free one wasnt there you most likely would of payed. its the simplest way i could explain it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    FXIV's sub numbers in Japan were reported rising. Not sure about the NA/EU scene. People do still pay for sub games, and still want them. World of Warcraft is however is old. I was 16? ish? When WoW came out. I'm almost 30 now. I finished school, uni, had children. The playerbase that was attracted and fell in love with the Warcraft universe are just old now. Most people who started playing WoW weren't playing it because it was an MMO, the game rode off the success of Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2. They don't have that momentum anymore
    Maybe I should be more specific, because we can site internet cafes and pay by the hour from other countries. Certain models work differently, and the sub model certainly doesn't hold as much appeal to the consumer in the States (Not sure about anywhere else). The sub numbers for FFXIV are pretty impressive, and I do agree it shows people are willing to pay for it if the content it provides is good. FFXIV right now is in a slump IIRC so that is also a bad indicator, since people are leaving due to no content progression.

I mean sure, by laws of average there are more than 10 million subs in MMORPGs combined by far. When WoW was out, that number was drastically accurate to how many people were playing in the genre (and it wasn't F2P like runescape, or maplestory). But I still think by average they aren't going to just go into a model and pay an upfront fee to even try it. $40 to play for 30 days is amazing, if you're a newbie of course. That still is $40 vs $0, which is a much harder sell when F2P games are just as quality built as a lot of major game studio games.

Than you have to also say "You must pay to continue", which is another hard sell. I personally love the pay once model (with sub sometimes) or F2P with an optional sub service.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    So what, would you be fine with someone taking your product, adding a feature and then re-destribute it, knowing that 95% of the job was already done by you?
    Isnt it what most gaming companies are doing now by allowing modding in their games? So yes, Id start selling the client (more profit for me) and let people make their own server.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    good riddance, one less shitty pserver in the web
    Why? How did it affect you in any way?
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I'll never play live again after this.

The
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    You do realize that real WoW is even more free? I made around 2mil/month from just normally playing the game before I took a break. Im guessing 50k or whatever those tokens cost now is affordable for most players who want to play it for free.
    Someone else is paying real 20$ for every token you buy for gold in the auction house. Wow was never free.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

If you want to support a project like Nost, well, gather up and make a new game. For free of course.
    Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Donations don't qualify for actual payments ; as it's willingy giving up your own money for something.

So, doesn't really matter, even if they did get donations.
    but in reality, you wouldn't want someone using your game or program for free, when it's pay-2-use.
    you made it, it's yours...
    #tellthattochineselol

Deleted
    You can't possibly believe what you're saying. Every person paying with gold for tokens is giving Blizzard even more money. Tokens cost more to purchase than just paying for a sub. Somewhere someone is paying your sub fee and then some.
    This is all true.

That's not playing for free.
    How is this so hard to get? If I can buy a token with gold, I am playing for free. Just cause someone else is paying real money so I can buy the token, doesn't change that I am playing for free.

So if people are interested in a way to play the game for free, they can.

Hell, when Tanaan just came out, in the first weeks, the amount of gold I got by killing Kazzak on all my characters and selling the felblight was enough each week to buy 4 more tokens. When I left the game, I had almost 1 million gold, and I didn't even try. Killing Kazzak each week on all my characters only took about 1-2 hours.

For everyone who wants to play for free, this is a viable way of playing for free. Doesn't matter if some other shmock is paying real money for my gametime.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    I'll never play live again after this.
    Bye......?...

Deleted
    Blizz should just make it open source, i'm sure the community could do a better job

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Isnt it what most gaming companies are doing now by allowing modding in their games? So yes, Id start selling the client (more profit for me) and let people make their own server.
    Ok, let's do this the spoon-fed way then.

Fallout: Mod support is provided by the devs because it increases content in the main game, which people will buy (pirates excluded)

WoW: Vanilla servers take people AWAY from the main game, and gives it away for free.

See how those two differ? Allowing mods for YOUR game is one thing, it improves upon and adds to your own product.
    Someone removing players from your game, not so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Well, Nost is making all of their code open source, so there's gotta be someone out there willing to take up the reins.
    Over the long run the problem becomes one of size. Nostralius was taken down because it was too successful. As long as X private server stays small and out of sight Blizzard is unlikely to bother with it. But people are less likely to sign on to it when it's small and out of sight. When a server becomes a thing, starts taking donations and promoting itself everywhere it's very much as if they are painting a big red-and-white target on themselves, flipping Blizzard off and saying "Come at me bro". Which in that case Blizzard is quite happy to do and despite what people think there are not that many places in the world that will host the server software in a satisfactory manner at a relatively low price, providing good service/uptime and protection from copyright laws. It's just not the way the world works.

So how is that going to affect someone picking up the source code and starting again? It's simple. If it's higher quality and everyone rushes to one the cycle repeats. It can't help but do so. In this sort of thing, the better you are, the bigger target you become over time. If the Nostralius community fractures into a bunch of different pieces settling on a multitude of private servers, it won't be as attractive as an MMO experience. Big, you lose. Small, you lose but not as quickly.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Ppl are almost happier for nost shutdown than having to pay15$/month for a year and half of no content
    True. The "why would you play on a classic realm, it has no new content" argument is hilarious. I admit, it is old content, but if you started on nost right from the start there were constant content updates and you felt it as new content even if you did it 10years ago. Sure, it would not last for more than 1-2 years, but you are aware of it. If the server reaches Naxx there is no more progression. So all you have to do is join a server at MC/Bwl time period.

Now look at the live realm and think about 1year+ of hfc. I'd choose nost all the way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    The

Someone else is paying real 20$ for every token you buy for gold in the auction house. Wow was never free.
    Well duh.. but as a player, you dont have to pay anything to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaelian View Post
    Pulled this out of the Blizzard TOS - it makes their stance pretty clear

The "opensource" argument is null, the code still used the art, sounds, characters and music from the retail game - which as stated in the above paragraph, is owned by Blizzard and therefore is their IP which fully gives them the right to go after the servers like this.
    The client used the assets, not the service provider. That's like a website suing another website because the browser allowed people to view it also. Granted, the analogy is not complete, because the owner of the suing website also happened to create the browser and so therefore has the right to dictate what that browser should or can show, but it's still a shady practice.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Maybe I should be more specific, because we can site internet cafes and pay by the hour from other countries. Certain models work differently, and the sub model certainly doesn't hold as much appeal to the consumer in the States (Not sure about anywhere else). The sub numbers for FFXIV are pretty impressive, and I do agree it shows people are willing to pay for it if the content it provides is good. FFXIV right now is in a slump IIRC so that is also a bad indicator, since people are leaving due to no content progression.

I mean sure, by laws of average there are more than 10 million subs in MMORPGs combined by far. When WoW was out, that number was drastically accurate to how many people were playing in the genre (and it wasn't F2P like runescape, or maplestory). But I still think by average they aren't going to just go into a model and pay an upfront fee to even try it. $40 to play for 30 days is amazing, if you're a newbie of course. That still is $40 vs $0, which is a much harder sell when F2P games are just as quality built as a lot of major game studio games.

Than you have to also say "You must pay to continue", which is another hard sell. I personally love the pay once model (with sub sometimes) or F2P with an optional sub service.
    Right, but now we're treading into an entirely different topic. I do agree that the days of subscription based games are coming to an end here within the next 10 years or so, but I feel that's an entirely different conversation (Which I would love to have btw).
    And yes, FFXIV is in a slump, the latest wave of content was a snore, but that game isn't selling to the raiding market which is why I stated I was unsure about the NA/EU market. Raiding and end game play a far more major role in our markets than the Asian ones. Even then, a game that's been dead in the NA/EU scene is the most popular MMO in Korea. Aion. Right behind Blade and Soul. Again, way off topic, sorry.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    It's not piracy. And I think it's you who didn't get the point.

He said that people play on private servers cause it's free, If that were the case, then apparently these people don't know you can play WoD for free too, all of it. Not just to level 20.

I can only tell from my own experience that without private servers, I probably would've never joined retail in the first place. Started 8 years ago on a TBC private server. Played for a week, and then thought "I need to play on an official server, it's gonna be so much better there."

If people actually choose to rather play on a private server than on an official one, then maybe that shows how much better the experience there is, and the fault lies with Blizzard.
    No, you used the excuse of playing on a emulated server first to justify your jump start into the retail game. You cannot use that excuse today with the lvl 20 trial. His comment sarcastically referred to the lvl 20.

Just cause someone else is paying real money so I can buy the token, doesn't change that I am playing for free.
    Show me how you get 50k gold with a up to level 20 starter account.