Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Yourself to blame for not enforcing your copyright? I agree. You would only have yourself to blame for letting thieves steal your work and act as if it is their own work.
    1) Despite what all the retards repeat in mantra, copyright violation is not theft. There is a reason why it's a whole different denomination subject to whole different laws.

2) If I refuse to provide a service, why should I be upset someone else does it in my place ?

Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    No, you're not stealing. You would only be stealing if you took money out of my bank account.
    Its still classed as stealing as i'm stealing your information and taking it from a company. If i torrent a movie its still classed as stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    So is this now going to turn into a "blame the streamer" game?
    Blizzard would've known about htese guys for a long term before - but could've denied it. Streamers advertising does hurt private servers as it's most likely to be flagged, yes.

They do ignore streams a lot but there's definitely a higher rate for them banning people for doing things on streams on live servers. Makes sense it would extend to private servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reapocalypse View Post
    Its actually abit different in this case, we are using a 1.3(iirc) client (wich is obviously a patched version of the original disk version) ,im not quite sure if blizzard ever gave the full client with all the data out for download or not. This is downloaded by the User on a third Website, the Server he connects to is completly built by the Devs of the Server since Blizzard themselves confirmed that the old code is entirely lost, wich makes the act of Theft on the Users side for illegaly downloading the old client wich is still copyrighted by Blizz with all data that comes with it.

So how exactly can Blizzard sue the Serverhoster for Copyright now? or did i miss something entirely?
    The data that their client uses still has the art, characters, music and sounds which is part of the intellectual property rights held by Blizzard and as far as I am aware alot of the art and characters, as well as some of the music and sounds are still in use by Blizzard and even if that data is not used, it still remains their intellectual property unless they formally relinquish it.

Hunter| Warlock | Shaman | Paladin
    "In the light.. We are one"

Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    You can use copyrighted materials without permission, its called fair use. Go to youtube and look at 90% of the songs on there.
    That's not technically what fair use is and this is not a case of fair use anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Halefire94 View Post
    https://en.nostalrius.org/

Well I will not be joining everyone in legion. This was a move by Blizzard to get people from when the game used to actually feel like an MMO to their piece of shit game they have now. Fuck I am angry.
    Don't steal other people stuff. How are you angry?
    If you somehow feel like stealing is acceptable then I don't think most people care if you're not coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Aehl View Post
    Under the law, yes it is.

Legal terms. Learn them,
    You're wrong. Educate yourself before trying to educate other.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    1) Despite what all the retards repeat in mantra, copyright violation is not theft. There is a reason why it's a whole different denomination subject to whole different laws.

2) If I refuse to provide a service, why should I be upset someone else does it in my place ?
    Because it's a service with your... yeah.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Quote Originally Posted by corngrenade View Post
    Blizz is just being stubborn about their vision for the game. I really doubt people playing on the vanilla emus are actually subbed to the live game, so Blizz should just give up their position and make a time locked expansion progression server like EQII to bring back players. ; )
    I'm subbed to retail since 2009, even if i don't play it much nowadays but i stayed subbed to show support. Had more fun on Nostalrius in a month than i've had in a year+ of Draenor. Nostalrius was a great "side game" in wait for Legion.

Don't want to let my guild down, i'll probably stay until Legion pre patch then it's the end for me. Since mop Blizzard started neglecting wow to focus on their side projects, the only one i was considering supporting was the movie, not now. If they could ban me on retail that would be even easier to quit. Anyways one guy is so negligible for them, no big deal.

Deleted
    Everybody who has ever recorded a video of themselves playing WoW and uploaded it to youtube is guilty of theft. You didn't create the game. Why do you think you are allowed to use that in your own video? You are literally directly stealing from Blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    It's a grey area. If the companies or persons say they don't want their stuff used, then no, no you can't. They can force you to take it down.
    No, there are clear guidelines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

7+ Year Old Account
    Everybody who has ever recorded a video of themselves playing WoW and uploaded it to youtube is guilty of theft. You didn't create the game. Why do you think you are allowed to use that in your own video? You are literally directly stealing from Blizzard.
    The Twitter function in-game is the easiest way to steal!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    Its still classed as stealing as i'm stealing your information and taking it from a company. If i torrent a movie its still classed as stealing.
    No, it's not stealing. If I go to your house, and I look through your cupboard, and I find your bank account information, and I memorize it, all I did was violate your privacy. The same goes if you look at someone's information in a database of some company. All you did was look at info you had no right to look at. You can't actually steal letters and numbers. They're concepts. It is only stealing when you use that information to get money out of that bank account. Then you stole the money. Or if the information is written on a piece of paper, and you literally take that piece of paper. Then you literally stole that piece of paper.

You are using "stealing" and "theft" in a very abstract way.

Quote Originally Posted by OreoLover View Post
    Because it's a service with your... yeah.
    Yeah it's a copyright violation. It might be illegal, I get it.
    But what I'm asking : should I be upset if people provide a service I refuse to do ?

Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    No, there are clear guidelines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
    Right, trust me, I'm well aware of the fair use clauses. This doesn't pertain to or protect the situation anyway. Why do you think sites like twitch mute things with copyrighted music? Fair use doesn't apply to that. The same as it doesn't apply to what youtube videos can be played in different countries. Fair use is usually treated as a per basis scenario in court anyway. That's what I mean by grey area.
    Last edited by Boathouse; 2016-04-07 at 11:09 AM.
    Bleh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaxi View Post
    Hopefully what happened to this private server will happend with others, sooner or later. First thing you do well Blizzard, well done.
    Bashes on vanilla fans, has a retarded panda as avatar. Blizzard apologist white knight whore detected.

You don't provide a service using other people's shit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OreoLover View Post
    The Twitter function in-game is the easiest way to steal!
    You literally stole from Game Freak using that avatar.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's a copyright violation. It might be illegal, I get it.
    But what I'm asking : should I be upset if people provide a service I refuse to do ?
    Not about that specific fact, you shouldn't. Beyond that, maybe!

It was difficult to steal, unfortunately; I took it from a shelf on the 5th floor of their tower, after navigating many floors of jerks and puzzles.
    Last edited by OreoLover; 2016-04-07 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    You can use copyrighted materials without permission, its called fair use. Go to youtube and look at 90% of the songs on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    It's a grey area. If the companies or persons say they don't want their stuff used, then no, no you can't. They can force you to take it down.
    This doesn't fall under fair use

In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner.

Youtube is different depending on what you do, If you do reviews like TotalBiscuit then its Fair Use as he does criticism. Blizzard give you permissions to make videos of the game. - http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...deopolicy.html

Guidelines for distributing Productions with Blizzard Content
    Note that Blizzard Entertainment’s restriction that Productions be limited to "non-commercial" uses also means that you may not license a Production you have created to another company for a fee, or for any other form of compensation, without specific written permission from Blizzard Entertainment to do so. Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to use its products for all commercial purposes. The only exceptions to this rule are if you participate in partner programs with YouTube, Justin.tv, Blip.tv, Own3d.tv, or Ustream.tv (the “Production Websites”) whereby a Production Website may pay you for views of a Production if you are accepted into their partner program.

Thus you have consent from blizzard to monetize it .

- - - Updated - - -

Nah its fine, He only copied the data.

- - - Updated - - -

Read that post, Blizzard allow you to post it on youtube