Deleted
    Well, this sucks. I really liked playing on Nost. Was alot of Fun. While it was illegal, shutting it down was a dick move.

Well, since i'm just a 14 year old who can't get access to my mothers credit card so i play on private servers, ill be cancelling me retail subscription and uninstall all blizzard games from my computer. Mom told me i spent too much time playing video games.

GJ blizz

Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    Except that everybody who bought a copy of World of Warcraft owns it too, and they should be able to play it.

- - - Updated - - -

Great argument.
    No, you don't own it. You own the box, a manual and you get the ability to borrow the game from Blizzard for a set amount of time as long as you pay extra.
    Blizzard has the right to take away your ability to borrow the game at any time and for no reason at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Its not considered theft, it straight up is.
    kek
    you have no idea what you are talking about

Blizzard has the right to close the server, it's its own intellectual property. But this also shows the hypocrisy and the lies of the company, a small number of people is able to keep up vanilla servers running, the only thing that keeps blizzard from doing it is the fear of its costumers enjoying the old servers and getting away from the shitty current state of the game. voilà !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    No, you don't own it. You own the box, a manual and you get the ability to borrow the game from Blizzard for a set amount of time as long as you pay extra.
    Blizzard has the right to take away your ability to borrow the game at any time and for no reason at all.
    I don't borrow the game you corporate suck-up, I purchased the game, I own it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoidie View Post
    And you gleamed this information by coming to a forum where everybody and anybody can say anthing, even if they don't play the game?

Well done, your insight is amazing.
    My insight is amazing, you can cut the snark.

You seem to be assuming that I don't somehow play retail, and haven't made comparisons between the two servers based on that, the official forums (that you need an account to post in) and here.

The WoW community is increasingly toxic, childish and polarized, it's simple.

I own the game.

Honestly I shit on the ToS. People who bought the game should always be able to play it. Problem is with online games is you need a server to play on, so whoever controls the server controls who can play there. People shouldn't be their right to deny on any other server though, people should still be able to play the game that they bought on private servers.
    Then go to court over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlhak View Post
    Blizzard has the right to close the server, it's its own intellectual property. But this also shows the hypocrisy and the lies of the company, a small number of people is able to keep up vanilla servers running, the only thing that keeps blizzard from doing it is the fear of its costumers enjoying the old servers and getting away from the shitty current state of the game. voilà !
    Where is the hypocrisy in stating gtfo we don't want to in a typical corporate fashion ?
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2016-04-07 at 12:16 PM.

I own the game.

Honestly I shit on the ToS. People who bought the game should always be able to play it. Problem is with online games is you need a server to play on, so whoever controls the server controls who can play there. People shouldn't be their right to deny on any other server though, people should still be able to play the game that they bought on private servers.
    Sorry, you agreed to the ToS when you made your character. I still own Ogre Battle 64. But my N64 broke. Should Nintendo then be required to make me a new one? Thats how ridiculous you sound.

You aren't owed anything. You're morally incorrect, and I don't think any type of case has ever ruled in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiksLE View Post
    Good luck with that
    You do realise people actually do that right? With cars that are no longer in production and/or are or were super expensive. Should they get raided by the FBI if they try and give it out for free? Or sell it?

I don't borrow the game you corporate suck-up, I purchased the game, I own it.
    Haha. Read the fine print and try again. You don't like it? Don't buy it.

Deleted
    You understand that isn't actually a counterpoint, right? Their IP was being infringed upon, they acted against it. That's all there is to it. I agree that Blizzard has made some really bad moves the past few years and it's cost them a ton of customers but this wasn't one of them. You actually have to do this when you own a digital property like this.
    It's a poetic counterpoint, not a judicial one, but if you want one: Nostralius serverside code does not fall under the domain of Blizzard's IP; did Blizzard release that code? Was it leaked? No. They wrote the code. Nostralius hosts their own proprietary network to link together clients; that is their entire purpose. Whether or not those it connects WoW clients end to end is an irrelevancy, because they do not make any claim to own or distribute those clients; that which contains copyrighted content.

Here's an analogy: A guy builds his own bridges between a number of islands, to let cars and people cross between them. Is the guy claiming to own the islands? No. Is the guy infringing on another guy's design patent for those bridges? (No).

The argument against private servers is as weak as it would be against LAN parties, it's retarded. Nostralius, whether they receive donations or not, is not, & doesn't claim to be a business; they're, by definition, a personal network host.

It's the responsibility of Blizzard to impose their own DRM, which they didn't when the product was originally released. They released the clients; it's outside of their intellectual property rights to say how people use those clients for personal means. In a legal perspective, the EULA and TOS licenses would not be upheld as binding, simply because of the language used being anti-consumerist. Blizzard does not make the law, as much as they'd love to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalorakk View Post
    Fun fact: I played on Nostalrius

woah, suddenly there is depth... spooky
    STFU white knight Bli$$ard fanboy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Its not considered theft, it straight up is. You can argue semantics all you want.
    Do you even know the definition of the word? It doesn't feel like arguing semantics, it feels like arguing with someone who covers his ears and screams like a child.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    At some point when you swept away your tears and swallowed being mad you might actually see how ridiculous that reads.
    I was level 20 on nostalrius and had close to no time invested in the game. I'm on neither side of this discussion and I still play retail wow more, it's pathetic that a lot of people are happy about the shut down. I won't shed tears for the server, I do however have some empathy for the people who did play it and the nostalrius staff for investing time in their passion. I really see no reason at all to be happy about something being shut down that others enjoyed. And noone except Blizzard has anything to gain from this, you guys are genuine pathetic sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
    Do you even know the definition of the word? It doesn't feel like arguing semantics, it feels like arguing with someone who covers his ears and screams like a child.
    Yeah, I ask you to stop covering your ears and screaming please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now waiting for other big servers to go down aswell *cough* Lolten

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIZ2bTS2oM
    10700K, 32GB 3200Mhz, RTX 3080 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    Now let's say you wrote a lot of books, but for every book you wrote the previous books would no longer be available for sale. The only way other people could enjoy your previous books is by buying them off other people or borrowing it from someone else. Your publisher refuses to sell your old books and demands that you take a different direction with your new books, and because of this your new books aren't as popular as your old ones, but your publisher still won't sell them because they believe the story needs to move forward. But as your newer books see less sales than before your old books are quite popular in libraries and people line up to borrow your books for free, to read and enjoy them.

But your publisher doesn't like that. If anyone's going to make money off your old books it's your publisher, so they shut the libraries down and burn everything. "Why not start reprinting my old books then for a new and younger audience who didn't get to read them?" you ask your publisher, but they won't. In the meanwhile on Scubistacy fan forums the opinions are split and people are defending your book publisher's decision with tooth and nail, saying they own the rights to your books and can do whatever they want with them, while the other side are saying that shutting down the libraries and burning all the books are a shitty decision because they still want those books to be available to be read.

By your logic, the new book should be the old book + 20% new text.

And ofcourse he would not want people to read the old books, because he wants to sell the new books.

Also the old books had some inconsistencies and typos that were fixed in the new book

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    @ Nostalrius players & WoW Vanilla enthusiasts:

Members of the Nostalrius community will re-host Nostalrius in Finland as a non-profit organization under Finnish Law.

Hosting a private server is absolutely 100% legal in Finland. Doing so is is NOT CRIMINAL and it is explicitly sanctioned in the Finnish copyright act, Sections 25j and 25k.

Furthermore, according to the Finnish law, membership in an organization is considered personal information and thus the new non-profit organization may not provide your membership information or confirm or deny the fact that you are a member to any 3rd party, such as Blizzard.

Look for more information at the Nostalrius forums.

In the unlikely event that Nostalrius will ever face any issue while being hosted in Finland in the future, the volunteers will just move the server to the Russian Federation, where it will be outside the reach of the USA or the EU, exactly like the Russian Private Vanilla Wow Server "Valkyrie".
    That's nice n all, but are they just leaving their old host to crash and burn against blizzard lawyers? Seems a bit of a dick move.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dlhak View Post
    Yeah it's really funny if you think about it.

Blizzard says Vanilla servers wouldn't be profitable and wouldn't be popular. People would quickly find out how lame Vanilla is and quit. Meanwhile Nostalrius becomes more and more popular, and more and more people are quitting retail WoW because Warlords of Draenor sucks. More and more people are discovering how much better Vanilla is compared to the current state of the game. Blizzard is losing and they panic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I assume most of the people complaining are from, those private servers, in which case, I ask you, when you signed up for those servers, did it not occur to you once. At least once, that maybe doing this was going to be on borrowed time?

You must have known, I knew about these servers ages ago, but I didn't sign up because I knew that eventually they would be shut down. I like vanilla as much as anyone but private illegal servers was never what I wanted.

And while I understand many of you put many many hours into your private server characters you must have known that it was going to be for nothing in the end, you must have known you were walking on quick sand.You must have known what you were doing was against Blizzards terms of use.

Have any of you read Blizzards terms of use? You know that wall of text that you automatically click accept past just so you can log into the game. Because its written there, its not like Blizzard came up with this act NOW, and said "I hear there's this really popular vanilla private server, we better shut it down"

The law has been in those terms of use for years, you know that if you have read it, and the people that created those servers knew that when they decided it was a good idea to steal it. So why you all are surprised baffles me. I would like to believe the MMO-Champion community is smart and intelligent enough to accept this and move on

Vanilla Servers have always been wrong to do, there's no law stating that it is right.

People saying it is Fair Use is wrong as is in its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner. Which is great for Youtube content creators for their narrative and constructive reviews and let's plays

This has nothing to do with stealing ones property, the game is protected by copyright, and you are only granted a license to use that copyrighted intellectual property in accordance with the Terms of Service. As stated above. So if you violate the Terms of Service you are guilty of copyright infringement and breach of contract.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance