Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Did I say I was happy? No.

I played on Nostralius. I had my own guild, as GM, by accident, when a group of people made one, invited me (Winter is Coming! was a cool name), then realized they meant they wanted it in Polish and left, leaving me GM. Neat! I had quite a few characters, got to go back and experience old Auberdine again *sniffle* and a few other places. But I always expected it would be on borrowed time because Blizzard had a right to ask it be shut down.
    Haha, "Et Tu, Darsithis"?

Thank you for not closing this thread btw. Really nice of you. I remember once upon the time, the mere mention of "Private Server" brought about an infraction.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Haha, "Et Tu, Darsithis"?

Thank you for not closing this thread btw. Really nice of you. I remember once upon the time, the mere mention of "Private Server" brought about an infraction.
    Its utterly absurd that violations for p-server talk was ever a thing.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    There are also a ton of salty retail players over the fact that they're paying for shitty content while others get to experience the golden era of WoW for free.

Stay bad, stay mad.
    I don't have time for this stupid thing, even if it is free. Been there, done that, don't want to repeat anymore. Classic WoW is for me like a song that you liked some time ago, and you heard it over and over, and now you just fed up with it. I want story development, not a Groundhog day. I know I will be getting the latter with a Classic server, so why bother? I rather use this content drought like every other to either engage in other activities than WoW or to level alts, collect transmog and mounts and whatever I want to do.

I never understood people who like to be freezed in time.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2016-04-07 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    I've been subed to wow for 10 years. I spent all my time playing nost rather than retail (got an active sub) because retail is honestly shit atm. People didn't play nost because it was free (sure there probably were some) but the majority of us just prefer that version. Retail is a completely different game compared to classic.
    You're one of the few who I've seen who is still a paying customer.

I've got no problem with people who are paying for retail and playing Nos.

It's the freeloaders that need to be exterminated.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Its utterly absurd that violations for p-server talk was ever a thing.
    We are just guests here. This is Bourbouille's board.

You have to understand, we are like Jews preaching the Torah in the Holy See in the Vatican.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    I don't have time for this stupid thing, even if it is free. Been there, done that, don't want to repeat anymore. Classic WoW is for me like a song that you liked some time ago, and you heard it over and over, and now you just fed up with it. I want story development, not a Groundhog day. I know I will be getting the latter with a Classic server, so why bother?
    And that is fine. You don't have to participate, who said you did?

You literally made zero sense there.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    I'm sure active/created ratio is still higher than on official servers. Nobody ever expects majority of customers to stay. It is not realistic for any game, official or not.

Not just higher its about 5x 6x more the daily population of a moderate retail server( check the stats of the official servers numbers).

The server the last 2 months couldnt handle anymore players actually, they had to lower the spawn timers at all mobs by 2.5 min and some other adjuctements aswell

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    No. That trajectory over a 12 month period is death.
    That is a cliff.
    It's an elevator dropping like a rock in free-fall.
    That is not a normal trend line for anything except something dying very quickly.
    That's nuts.

Did you see that infographic from Cata time about WoW which said total number of WoW accounts is 100 million (compared to let's say 10 playing)? Yeah.

The numbers you cited for the private server are *good*.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    That's nuts.

Did you see that infographic from Cata time about WoW which said total number of WoW accounts is 100 million (compared to let's say 10 playing)? Yeah.

The numbers you cited for the private server are *good*.
    Aye. And this guy is questioning our school of math.

For a private, not-for-profit server...those numbers are amazing. They aren't running a fucking business with all eyes on the bottom line.

ITS OK!!!!!! no one worry it was only a vanilla server the WOTLK ones are still alive and active and many have xp boosts.

Deleted
    To all you fuckers who keep being hostile and gloating over the loss of nost. We had a great community, something that have been missing from retail for years now. We made some great friends, created some amazing memories had a wonderful time. There were no other way to access the classic version other than playing on a private server. The nost team did some amazing work to bring us all together in the version we all loved. Those of you who say good riddance how fucking petty can you get? Yes it was bound to happen and we all knew it but why the fuck do you gloat over our loss?

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Aye, but the argument is constantly made that current iteration of WoW has diminished the social aspect of the game, and how alive these private servers are.

My argument has and will always be Blizzard didn't create the social environment... Players did. So if Blizzard creates content, and the social aspect dies... the game and its players were never really "social" to begin with. Because I have been in a truly "social" guild and if you want that to stay alive you have to put in the effort and it has NOTHING to do with group finding tools. That effort could easily be applied to WoD if you wanted to... but you don't, so who's fault is that really?

WoD you never leave your Garrison... /tear
    Vanilla you never leave your Capital City.

If I had a dollar for the amount of times I ran circles around the Orgrimmar bank while LFG in Vanilla... I could probably pay off my student loans.
    This is not accurate in the slightest. Blizzard did indeed foster an enormous reliance on a social community in Vanilla because of the sheer difficulty of the game. Leveling right out of the gate was a complete bitch if you weren't intelligent with your pulls, aware of your surroundings, and fully prepped with food/water and consumables. And even then in a simple one on one fight with a normal mob you could get your ass handed to you.

It forced you to WANT to group with other players because there was strength in numbers. You wanted to befriend that healer you saw running around cause they could keep your ass alive while questing. You added good dps to your friend list who knew how to cc in dungeons cause you WANTED to group with someone reliable in the future. You had to communicate in dungeons and mark targets for CC and LOS pull intelligently while watching for pats.

The whole structure of the game encouraged community cooperation. I've witnessed this on Nost the past year. It's not some community driven effort that magically formulates. It's because you fucking HAD to communicate and make friends and group up with others if you wanted to get anywhere in the game. And from my perspective people where thrilled to do so. This is an MMO afterall. If we don't need to rely on each other aside from the top less than 1% of the game, why are we even playing an MMO?
    Last edited by Donair; 2016-04-07 at 02:14 PM.

Deleted
    good riddance.

15+ Year Old Account
    To all you fuckers who keep being hostile and gloating over the loss of nost. We had a great community, something that have been missing from retail for years now. We made some great friends, created some amazing memories had a wonderful time. There were no other way to access the classic version other than playing on a private server. The nost team did some amazing work to bring us all together in the version we all loved. Those of you who say good riddance how fucking petty can you get? Yes it was bound to happen and we all knew it but why the fuck do you gloat over our loss?
    Don't get down to their level of salt.

Keep the chin up and hope they get it up and running in another country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice community of gankers and trash talkers. The chat on that server was pure cancer.
    10700K, 32GB 3200Mhz, RTX 3080 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    C'mon people, smarten up.

Wow has had 100mm accounts over 12 years. Let's say they only have 5mm today for the same of argument. That is still 5% on the total 100mm, but over a full 12 year period.

The shitty little illegal server pulled in 800k people, but only had 150k active players 1 year later. That is a retention rate of 18%, but they lost that other 82% in just 1 year.

There is a big difference.
    The private server was *free*.

Having 150k out of 800k playing after a year is *completely amazing* for a free server.

Deleted
    And that is fine. You don't have to participate, who said you did?

You literally made zero sense there.
    I replied to your statement that people like me who play the only true wow (true as created and developed by Blizzard) would be mad because the private version is better than retail. For me, it is not better. So, my statement makes perfect sense and cancels your statement.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Donair View Post
    This is not accurate in the slightest. Blizzard did indeed foster an enormous reliance on a social community in Vanilla because of the sheer difficulty of the game. Leveling right out of the gate was a complete bitch if you weren't intelligent with your pulls, aware of your surroundings, and fully prepped with food/water and consumables. And even then in a simple one on one fight with a normal mob you could get your ass handed to you.
    Actually, Vanilla WoW was an utter cakewalk for those of us hardened by games like Everquest, Asheron's Call, and Ultima Online. Vanilla WoW never had a harsh death penatly, ever. Dying was simply a "oh hey, let's not do that again" type of learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Nobody argues against Blizzard's right to shutdown the server. We're saying it's a dick move to shut down a private server that doesn't profit off of it and doesn't compete with retail. You have the legal right to do a lot of things that would still get you called a dick for doing them.
    Cry some more buddy. You would be a dick NOT to shut that shit down. Why leave to chance a bunch of amateurs ruining your good name because they provided a shitty experience. Why let thieves steal your product, sell it as their own and then do a bad job at it? Only a fucking dick would let that happen. The only reason Nos didn't actually profit is because they provided a terrible experience and the player base is just to cheap to pay for it. The reason Nos is just rolling over on this is because they cannot afford to keep going. The "Rabid vanilla" player willing to pay for a vanilla server is a myth. 11 of you have said they would. $165 a month is not enough to get it going.

The real dick is Nos. They failed as a "community" and Nos has put the blame on blizzard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Actually, Vanilla WoW was an utter cakewalk for those of us hardened by games like Everquest, Asheron's Call, and Ultima Online. Vanilla WoW never had a harsh death penatly, ever. Dying was simply a "oh hey, let's not do that again" type of learning experience.
    How do you know if someone is a "hardened, old school" gamer?

Don't worry, they'll tell you.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.