Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Again, it largely depends on their sign.
    Hating someone just because they are fat just makes you a giant piece of shit. Just looking at them and deciding you hate them because they are overweight makes you a piece of shit. People like that probably hate themselves more than the fat person does. You have no idea whats going on in their lives. Like those taking meds that cause weight gain. Some of the overweight people that I've met are the happiest people that I know. They just roll with it. If they are happy its not my place or yours to tell them that their happy lives are wrong and it makes some scrub nerd child someplace angry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    One self love a day keeps the prostate cancer away, I think the saying goes.
    How does it work for multiple or group-based self-loving, though?

On topic: Giving yourself incentives and adding positivity to your action plan to resolve the matter is essential but strong self-discipline, even in the face of a shortcoming/road bump, primes over willpower.

Though I don't believe it is healthy mindset to make obesity "totally fine" in general, it's unhealthy and for many cases merely requires a change of habits (I'm not including people with thyroid malfunctions and other such conditions that make weight management a nightmare). I believe however that people mocking and outright hating on obese/overweight people are pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Hating someone just because they are fat just makes you a giant piece of shit. Just looking at them and deciding you hate them because they are overweight makes you a piece of shit. People like that probably hate themselves more than the fat person does. You have no idea whats going on in their lives. Like those taking meds that cause weight gain. Some of the overweight people that I've met are the happiest people that I know. They just roll with it. If they are happy its not my place or yours to tell them that their happy lives are wrong and it makes some scrub nerd child someplace angry.
    Unless that person commonly hates on overweight people, where does that come from?
    Last edited by EventHorizon; 2016-04-07 at 02:20 PM.

Fat people these days should probably be a lot more conscious of their health but that's definitely not something that's ever going to be achieved through fat shaming. Even if it that did manage to get them to eat less and exercise more, it's just going to make for a very bitter and resentful individual whose only motivation is getting fit so they can show up all the people who bullied them in the past, or act like douchebags to other fat people for not having the same dedication they do. That's not really good for society.

I believe that self love should be taught, but not in a fat acceptance movement. Rather it should be encouraged to nourish your body with proper diet and exercise. One major problem is there's too much misinformation out there about what foods we should be eating.

When you truly love yourself that reflects in how to treat your body. We should be teaching people to love themselves and their bodies by keeping them as healthy as possible.

I do not believe that fat shamming people is healthy or productive. Making people feel like shit about themselves does not motivate them to do better, it encourages them that they aren't worth trying, especially since a large number of overweight people suffer from depression and we aren't sure if the weight is a cause or a symptom.

I think this woman is amazing. She is blunt, doesn't coddle but also isn't rude or shaming anyone. She offers advice about diet and exercise that comes from a place of understand compassion and actual knowledge about how the body works and which foods are important staples for overall health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9DQ...&nohtml5=False
    Last edited by The Whimsical Dwarf; 2016-04-07 at 02:21 PM.
    A DWARF IS ONLY AS STRONG AS HER HAMMER.

I am a "fat kid" and I love who I am.
    I have a few medical issues currently that prevent me from working out(2 discs in my spine that are shifted 4 mm pressing into nerves) , so I dropped my Cal intake to 1500 cal a day...get this...still gaining weight ...talk about frustrating.
    I still think I am a good human, I just have an issue I need to fix.

It is not insurmountable...just going to need fixing once the ...other issues is dealt with.

As for the HATE fat people get...no, wrong way to deal with things.
    Reading the venom,spite and ...well..hate just on these boards about people who are fat....yeah...you get the idea.
    Spouting mean,hurtful things will usually get you the opposite reaction of what is "intended" or ...a rampaging fat kid (I say it as a fat kid) being useful is fine, but if they tell you to fuck off...just do so, it is not your issue...don't continue to make it yours (unless you are their Dr or ...medical pro)
    Trust me , I walk in this body, I know the pain and stupid shit I have to do to get through my daily life, I know it would be easier with less baggage...you do not need to remind me.

But no one really cares ...just another target to bully...and that is one of the issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    I am a "fat kid" and I love who I am.
    I have a few medical issues currently that prevent me from working out(2 discs in my spine that are shifted 4 mm pressing into nerves) , so I dropped my Cal intake to 1500 cal a day...get this...still gaining weight ...talk about frustrating.
    I still think I am a good human, I just have an issue I need to fix.

It is not insurmountable...just going to need fixing once the ...other issues is dealt with.

As for the HATE fat people get...no, wrong way to deal with things.
    Reading the venom,spite and ...well..hate just on these boards about people who are fat....yeah...you get the idea.
    Spouting mean,hurtful things will usually get you the opposite reaction of what is "intended" or ...a rampaging fat kid (I say it as a fat kid) being useful is fine, but if they tell you to fuck off...just do so, it is not your issue...don't continue to make it yours (unless you are their Dr or ...medical pro)
    Trust me , I walk in this body, I know the pain and stupid shit I have to do to get through my daily life, I know it would be easier with less baggage...you do not need to remind me.

But no one really cares ...just another target to bully...and that is one of the issues.
    Are you able to stationary bike or swim (no impact activities unlike jogging and weight lifting)? If so those two would likely help you very much.

Changing your intake alone is not the magical cure, also the type of calorie you ingest may influence your weight loss. (Ie.... 1500 kcal of carbs isn't going to help you too well if you can't work out).

Quote Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
    Are you able to stationary bike or swim (no impact activities unlike jogging and weight lifting)? If so those two would likely help you very much.

Changing your intake alone is not the magical cure, also the type of calorie you ingest may influence your weight loss. (Ie.... 1500 kcal of carbs isn't going to help you too well if you can't work out).
    This reply is Lol. He's got 2 fucked up discs in his spine, and you're still probing for a way to blame him for not being active.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    This reply is Lol. He's got 2 fucked up discs in his spine, and you're still probing for a way to blame him for not being active.
    Blaming him? Not at all, that's why I asked "ARE YOU ABLE TO DO X BECAUSE THEY'RE LOW IMPACT" but I can understand that reading is hard.

I have a fucked up knee and can't jog but biking allowed me to start building it back up. Sorry, I've never had disc issues though my father had a few herniated discs and still managed to recover and works out a bunch still today, figured it could be a similar thing. I don't think my phrasing puts the blame on him at all.
    Last edited by EventHorizon; 2016-04-07 at 02:33 PM.

There's a difference between teaching someone to be themselves and to love themselves and telling them that all their choices are good ones. To make good choices, to strive to be better than you are right now you need to love yourself enough to know that it's work worth doing, so if your goal is a healthier population, helping people find confidence and acceptance and a positive concept of self is essential.

People who feel worthless and ashamed seek comfort. People who feel worthy and capable seek to increase their worth and capability, and that is the sort of choice people have to make to become healthier than they already are.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing wrong with having an unhealthy life if that makes you happy. Nobody here has a 100% healthy life, each person has his own criterias to evaluate what they should and shouldn't do.

Deleted
    I thought this was about masturbation, disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    So society nowadays is obsessed with this idea of telling people to be "themselves" - whatever that means - at all costs but is that moral? Is that logical? And is that not just reinforcing negative habits and suggesting that character flaws are not something one could change?

Just have a look what the body-positive movement is promoting... obesity and health problems.... An early grave
    That question needs so much unpacking to even make sense I think. There is nothing inherently wrong with "self love" it is in many cases very healthy to have. It can become extremely unhealthy when applied too much in both directions though.

Trying to have people who KNOW they are doing a lot of damage to their own bodies to love these bodies instead of working to become better is so bad it almost becomes evil in my mind. Going the other way and tying self love to looks directly and putting examples of what you SHOULD look like can also do a lot of damage when not everyone is born equal and not everyone can be perfect specimens.

At the end of the day, fat people should not be told that everything is fine. It is literally the same as telling heroin addicts "You look just fine, love your heroin addicted body. If anyone tells you it's unhealthy they are shaming you". That kind of thing does damage to the individuals and to the collective. It is very damaging to have like we will soon in the west have about 50% of our population be obese. And I am saying as one of the fat pigs.

Socrates said it best in my mind "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." I think it is our duty to be the best we can be for ourselves, our loved ones and our nations. Both intellectually AND physically.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    There's nothing wrong with having an unhealthy life if that makes you happy. Nobody here has a 100% healthy life, each person has his own criterias to evaluate what they should and shouldn't do.
    Well that depends on whether your unhealthy life affects others or the community such as NHS.

Quote Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post

I appreciate your ideas , however I am not seeking advice, nor would I consider any on this board. I am in the care of a host of medical pros.
    Thank you for your "concern" however....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    I appreciate your ideas , however I am not seeking advice, nor would I consider any on this board. I am in the care of a host of medical pros.
    Thank you for your "concern" however....
    BUT HE KNOWS BEST....

I personally get this when explaining why I don't work... People claiming to know more about my limitations than I do

They should love themselves enough to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
    Last edited by Jotaux; 2016-04-07 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    BUT HE KNOWS BEST....

I personally get this when explaining why I don't work... People claiming to know more about my limitations than I do
    Well, if you don't work clearly you must be a degenerate right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zcion999 View Post
    Well, if you don't work clearly you must be a degenerate right ?
    In the case of tumblr, yes

Self-respect? Yes.
    Unconditional self-love? No.