I have no idea how this thread got to 160 pages. What they did was illegal, they got punished, end of story.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    People that steal might very well affect my life in a very negative way. This kind of practice is something I and most people in the civilized world would not want to see becoming acceptable.

Also, taking away revenue from Blizzard will hurt the games I love.

Yeap, I'm still happy it's gone.

sir, you're an idiot

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-04-07 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Math is too hard for that lonely fanboy neuron? There were 12-15k players at ANY hour.
    What math ? Are you retarded the 15k peak concurrent players are what they are going with. How often a day they hit that number is irrelevant pleb. Peak is peak. I forgive you though you probably lost quite a bit of fluids and salt from all the tears shed.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-04-07 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    WITAF?! How is this hitting 160 pages now?
    The freeloaders needed a free forum to post their free thoughts and found MMO Champion.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Quest texts are not client-side, they are used illegally.
    Geodata is not client-side, it is used illegally.
    Monsters, loot, spell effects are not client-side and are used illegally.

Any private server illegally uses Blizzard's IP, and is illegal.

Deleted
    Objectively speaking, is this any different than previous times a private server s shut down?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Emulation is not illegal and only distribution of IP (think ROMs and games themselves) is illegal. As long as you are not using their code directly what you are doing is perfectly 100% legal and there are precedents about this in US where Blizzard is located.
    I stand corrected. You're right as far as emulators are concerned.

That said, the private WoW servers are still illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jestah View Post
    Blizzard stole from themselves when they released crap expansions and took away what the game once was. Why else would they go after a Private server that made no money off their product? Because, they're salty of how disgusting the game has become. I've had Alpha Legion for 2 months. It's a joke. Want proof? I can send screenshots with your name on my toon on there right now. Or even stream it for you saying whatever you please.
    I watch alpha streams and to me it looks good, Yes WOD was complete crap but it still doesn't change the fact NostWoW stole from blizzard. Thats the end result no matter how you look at it.

Because apparently no-one's interested in vanilla servers.. oh wait

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Quest texts are not client-side, they are used illegally.
    Geodata is not client-side, it is used illegally.
    Monsters, loot, spell effects are not client-side and are used illegally.

Any private server illegally uses Blizzard's IP, and is illegal.
    This exactly.

I'd be suprised to see something like this in retail, a suicide rails from Orgrimmar to Thunder Bluff:

http://imgur.com/a/eorOc

Thats a way to say farewell...

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Except reverse engineering and then emulating isn't stealing, I think you need to go back to school and learn the difference.

With the logic I've been reading here every emulator ever made would be illegal.
    Wait you...you think emulators are legal?

Now I'm not saying it's morally wrong for people to want to play vanilla or to play on vanilla servers. My point is that blizzard is still justified in shutting it down because they own that code, they own that IP, they own Warcraft and everything tied to it, and if they want to have these illegal servers shut down then that's fine. People who think that stealing IP isn't 'really stealing' baffle me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    He said it was abandoned, and the screenshot cut off at 2008. You are making a leap in logic that him not screencapping his entire purchase history means he stopped at 2008.
    this is not a leap in logic, it is a deflection/misdirection tactic. When confronted with apparent absolute proof of the absurdity of a prior claim, you ignore it and attack some other detail or extrapolate a new absurdity and ignore the old one.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Thanks for the answer but I must say I'm still a bit bitter. I absolutely despise what warcraft has became but absolutely love what it was. It's a shame that such a fantastic game has to be locked away from the world.
    Well I surely can say that there is room for improvement and that the community could improve as well. I just don't see any possibility for me to return to the "old days". And I would not mind if there would be official legacy servers, as long as Blizzard would not use this as an excuse to cut on developing new content. Because I would not use such legacy servers, so for me all this would be a waste. Like I don't find any fun in PvP and I don't use this content, but I don't mind Blizzard to develop PvP content as long as there are other things beside as well (dungeons, raids, open world content, professions, pet battles etc.)

I just fear that Blizzard would not make such an investment into the game anymore. They rather develop new titles like Hearthstone, HotS and Overwatch. I wonder how long will WoW stay and if Legion would be the last expansion. And I wonder if WoW would get overall more love if people who are currently playing on private servers for free would instead pay money for an official subscription and show Blizzard that WoW would have more potential. I fear we have already entered a vicious circle here (declining subs - lower investment - even more decline - even fewer investment).
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2016-04-07 at 03:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A. there are still plenty of crap private servers to use, just google one

B. they're stealing IP, therefore illegal

C. if you don't like the game that's fine. peace out breh, no harm done
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
    Millions. It's important to note scale.
    Nost hosted thousands. Whoopie.
    On one server.

Dat Thread...

It's illegal and it should have been destroyed years ago, pay for the Product or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    Blizzard have their "Classic Games Team" that make the old games run on newer hardware better. Possibly get them to work on Vanillia WoW and then that could run on new hardware...
    Blizzard sells their classical games at the full retail price. The eldest version of WoW they are selling now is MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    Mm, True, Would probably also be a nightmare to do maintenance on it aswell if its setup like that. Actually just thought of this, Blizzard have their "Classic Games Team" that make the old games run on newer hardware better. Possibly get them to work on Vanillia WoW and then that could run on new hardware and the code could be revamped because i'm pretty sure they said the code is a disgrace compared to what current code is like.
    If they are testing the waters right now to unveil legacy servers "soon" it'd be a big "eat my own hat" moment for me, but I honestly think they're just moving to protect their property. There's a "use it or lose it" precedent in these kind of cases, so believe they're just doing that, not cleaning the market for their own product.

Because this thread combines three things that lead to that:
    * Arguing over semantics
    * "The Man" being in the right but causing grief
    * Desperate/Enraged fans VS Kneejerking Haters

On a related note, I've got a friend who when I told him about them shutting this down said "good!" in a happy tone. While I only play WoW because I started on a private server and got hooked.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."