Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisderp View Post
    It's a shame that Blizzard not only says "no one wants old servers", but they actually go out of their way to remove old servers from the people who do want them. It's their legal right, but damn if I was someone in charge of Blizzard, I wouldn't give a shit about several thousand people playing a very old version of the game.
    Protecting you property is suddently "giving shit" to people who steal it? C'mon now. I'm sure you'd be fuming if someone stole your stuff and gave it to "several thousand people" without your permission.

They used Blizzard's intellectual property without licencing it or having permission to use it. It's pretty simple case. Arguing silly details for 200 pages doesn't make it any different.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I'm against legacy servers 100%. That's your answer.
    Fair enough, I wasn't really asking taht although I'll admit I wasn't clear. I simply meant "Do you think it would cover the costs"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    AS opposed to people clinging to the past
    Lmao gg.
    ROFL, exactly.

BTW, when does the next Timewalker event start?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    I played on Nostralius. Had a ~40 rogue I'd log on to every now and then. Arguably had more fun running around doing nothing than actually completing "content" on my level 100.
    Same mate, just running about barren getting my skills up and enjoying the shit chat was better then the last 3 expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Fair enough, I wasn't really asking taht although I'll admit I wasn't clear. I simply meant "Do you think it would cover the costs"?
    I don't care. Blizz has already been lazy enough. "We support two or more different versions of the game now" would give them even more excuses, no matter the finances.

And here we go. Ermm.... no it's not. It would require an extra team. I wonder how long it would take until people would start demanding it completely free from Blizz.
    I say it's unreasonable not because I think they shouldn't ask for it to cover costs, but because I think it would result in a lot less success overall.

A "merged" subscription could increase subs and participation for both versions of the game without really fragmenting the playerbase, by effectively increasing its value. An additional/separate subscription would fragment the playerbase and see much less adherance.

Either way, I'm not discussing (don't anyone is or should, as we can't) if it's economically viable or not. It probably is, just not to a scale that Blizzard can justify the "risk". (COnsiering it will likely only result in a small % increment of their profit, even if successful) What people are saying is that there IS interest in official, payed legacy realms.

Wether or not that interest/market would be big enough to justify the costs, is a whole different matter, and none of us really have a clue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    Yes, there is always a Chance...

I think their reason for not (yet) releasing legacy Servers is that it doesn't fit their current business model. If they'd just release legacy Servers, theoretically you'd just have to pay your Sub fess and maybe buy the the base game. If a new Expansion Comes, you technically wouldn't Need to buy the new xpac in order to Play on the legacy Servers...

Programming wise it's not a problem at all to release legacy Servers. There's no way that they don't make backups of all their versions
    actually there is a forum rumor that they 'accidently deleted' their old server code. apparently this includes all off-site secure version backups at all locations, etc. Yes it is laughable but you are going to hear it if the right people read your comment.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

I just don't get these vanilla fanboys...the game was great but when you look at it objectively, compared to now, IT SUCKED. Sure the community was great, you felt epic AF going into a 40 and all the hardwork you did to get there, but you can't base a game off of that forever, things evolve. WOD isn't perfect but its playable, and even if Blizz made legacy servers, I freaking guarantee you the cry babies who want them so bad would find stuff they don't like about them in the future. Some people you can never make happy.

I'm against legacy servers 100%. That's your answer.
    same ... the toxic wow players would ruin the experience for those who do enjoy challenging content that requires dedication.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    It absolutely wouldn't.
    Running a vanilla server professionally with all the added value options they support these days would be so much different than running a unlicensed one with people volunteering their time.

The reason they haven't done it is because the market isn't there. It's not profitable.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    ROFL, exactly.

BTW, when does the next Timewalker event start?
    Probably in the next few weeks. ON retail servers that is. Not Nostralius, since it is shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgary View Post
    I just don't get these vanilla fanboys...the game was great but when you look at it objectively, compared to now, IT SUCKED. Sure the community was great, you felt epic AF going into a 40 and all the hardwork you did to get there, but you can't base a game off of that forever, things evolve. WOD isn't perfect but its playable, and even if Blizz made legacy servers, I freaking guarantee you the cry babies who want them so bad would find stuff they don't like about them in the future. Some people you can never make happy.
    That is your opinion but I disagree and so does 100,000+ players.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    I say it's unreasonable not because I think they shouldn't ask for it to cover costs, but because I think it would result in a lot less success overall.

A "merged" subscription could increase subs and participation for both versions of the game without really fragmenting the playerbase, by effectively increasing its value. An additional/separate subscription would fragment the playerbase and see much less adherance.

Either way, I'm not discussing (don't anyone is or should, as we can't) if it's economically viable or not. It probably is, just not to a scale that Blizzard can justify the "risk". (COnsiering it will likely only result in a small % increment of their profit, even if successful) What people are saying is that there IS interest in official, payed legacy realms.

Wether or not that interest/market would be big enough to justify the costs, is a whole different matter, and none of us really have a clue.
    You either pay for legacy servers or live... or both for x2. That's the only way I would see it completely hypothetically speaking. Well beoynd hypothetical because I don't want them under any circumstances.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    same ... the toxic wow players would ruin the experience for those who do enjoy challenging content that requires dedication.
    But you are talking about Vanilla. Which had neither of those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgary View Post
    I agree fully. Did you know I have used your argument to objectively prove The Phantom Menace was better than any and all of the original star wars movies? Jar Jar is also the best actor ever and part of that proof.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    Robbed for what? Money? You think thhat all those players will suddenly start playing abomination as WoD? No they will not.
    I would rather play with myself then play WoD again.

Blizzard decided to have a "big dragon" destroy every mystical zone in WoW for shock value in 2010. Is there any need to explain the desire for legacy servers?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shridevi View Post
    Blizzard decided to have a "big dragon" destroy every mystical zone in WoW for shock value in 2010. Is there any need to explain the desire for legacy servers?
    this kind of patronizing commentary really hurts the image of retail wow. In case you didn't know it, the dragon was ANGRY. doesn't it make sense now? RAWWWRRRRRR!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazalak View Post
    That is your opinion but I disagree and so does 100,000+ players.
    I would say there are many more than 100000 players who wouldn't want Blizzard wasting resources on World of Warcraft: Nostalgia Servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Probably in the next few weeks. ON retail servers that is. Not Nostralius, since it is shut down.
    Well of course, why would I be asking about Timewalking on a Classic realm?