Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by parlaa View Post
    15 dollars lol. I know people making twice that for unskilled work :|

I find it funny what people call skilled and unskilled work.

Some times reality doesn't match the terms.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    It's also coming to more than just minimum wage jobs.

Wonder what people say when truckers are bitching about jobs being replaced by self driving trucks.
    In all honesty, it's more likely that automation is coming for jobs that are well above minimum wage, since those jobs cost companies MORE than people on minimum wage. Companies like minimum wage workers, since they can squeeze a lot of work out of them for little pay. Even if minimum wage goes up, it still costs less than paying someone who is a skilled laborer. Why do people think factory jobs were all automated? Cause factory workers were paid a shit ton.

So if you're not on minimum wage, automation is coming for you. Never say your job can't be automated. Truck drivers thought this once, and now we have self driving trucks.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Bullshit. Not one factory in my area hires for this much. They all hire through temp agencies that pay minimum wage. Also since you are through a temp agency they don't provide any benefits.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol if someone is raping your wallet it isn't welfare. If you make 25,000 a year you would only pay about $40 a year into welfare....

You might want to look into where your tax dollars are actually going.
    Then you live in a shit area, or an area that minorities get taken advantage off. Anywhere near a city you can get a $15 an hour job without much hassle. Temp agencies aren't meant to be used for benefits, you use them to get with a company that normally wouldn't hire you.

i don't understand the "fuck low skill workers" attitude. they do jobs that must be done. we couldn't function without them.

and cheering on automation to replace those workers? not sure why you think society is going to suddenly be better off with millions more people not getting paid. it's like you're cheering your own stabbing.

it's a contradiction in the typical conservative position that i've never gotten. on one hand they want to destroy welfare and on the other they want millions of workers to get paid shit. what the fuck?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    Then you live in a shit area, or an area that minorities get taken advantage off. Anywhere near a city you can get a $15 an hour job without much hassle. Temp agencies aren't meant to be used for benefits, you use them to get with a company that normally wouldn't hire you.

You got that wrong. Companies use them so they don't have to provide benefits that would cost extra. Then they string those temps along as long as they can. It was like this with every temp agency I worked at.

And yes I do live in a shit area. I live in Michigan for christs sake. on top of that we have a %15+ unemployment rate. People take these wages because there are literally no other options.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    You got that wrong. Companies use them so they don't have to provide benefits that would cost extra. Then they string those temps along as long as they can. It was like this with every temp agency I worked at.

And yes I do live in a shit area. I live in Michigan for christs sake. on top of that we have a %15+ unemployment rate. People take these wages because there are literally no other options.
    Well then you need to be more assertive when working for a TA. No temp agency should be more than 90 days unless it's contractual which is highly unlikely if you don't have a trade. The only time a company doesn't hire you off a temp is if you are lazy or incompetent or they really don't have the room for you (which is rare because why would they be going through a temp agency).

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...s_other_t.html

Michigan (City areas) is a great place to work salary wise, just apply.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well then you need to be more assertive when working for a TA. No temp agency should be more than 90 days unless it's contractual which is highly unlikely if you don't have a trade. The only time a company doesn't hire you off a temp is if you are lazy or incompetent or they really don't have the room for you (which is rare because why would they be going through a temp agency).

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...s_other_t.html

Michigan (City areas) is a great place to work salary wise, just apply.

I don't think you understand how many unemployed people are looking for work at any time up here. MI is also a "at will" state. Meaning you can get fired at any time for any reason.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you understand how many unemployed people are looking for work at any time up here. MI is also a "at will" state. Meaning you can get fired at any time for any reason.

Every state is pretty much an at will state except California lmfao

10+ Year Old Account
    Every state is pretty much an at will state except California lmfao

Right, so how are you suppose to be assertive to them when they have at least 15 other people begging to take your spot. Gotta remember the temp agency doesn't get any more money once you get hired in. It's in their interest to keep a cycle of employees going rather than getting them hired.

If they actually got people long term jobs they would be out of a job themselves.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Right, so how are you suppose to be assertive to them when they have at least 15 other people begging to take your spot. Gotta remember the temp agency doesn't get any more money once you get hired in. It's in their interest to keep a cycle of employees going rather than getting them hired.

If they actually got people long term jobs they would be out of a job themselves.
    You don't have to go through a TA if that isn't an option, plenty of people are hiring right now. There are jobs EVERYWHERE, go door to door in an executive building and look at the companies that work there, ask if they are hiring and get a job. Try Gradstaff for a temp agency they aren't sleezy like you described.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't have to go through a TA if that isn't an option, plenty of people are hiring right now. There are jobs EVERYWHERE, go door to door in an executive building and look at the companies that work there, ask if they are hiring and get a job. Try Gradstaff for a temp agency they aren't sleezy like you described.

Dude. I live here. I did walk the street for 5 years before I finally found my current job. They are not all over the place up here.

I live in a small town. there just isn't much around for about 50-100 miles.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Dude. I live here. I did walk the street for 5 years before I finally found my current job. They are not all over the place up here.

I live in a small town. there just isn't much around for about 50-100 miles.
    So move out then. Come to Philly, everyone's hiring here.

I love how everyones answer is "Move somewhere else"

Do people realise that takes money and you must have a job waiting for you when you get there.....
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

My state's governor, Kate Brown, abandoned her push for a $15+ minimum wage after a barrage of criticism from business, and labor skepticism over threats of higher unemployment. Major props to her.

There was a campaign for a ballot measure but I think without the governor's support it fell apart.

10+ Year Old Account

With what money? Moving isn't free.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I love how everyones answer is "Move somewhere else"

Do people realise that takes money and you must have a job waiting for you when you get there.....
    Weird, I did, probably cause I don't make excuses irl.

- - - Updated - - -

With what money? Moving isn't free.
    So rent a Uhaul, people will literally make excuses at anything.

What's it like to hate your friend's and family enough that you'd consider moving away from them?

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't answer my question. Where do I get this money to move? It's 1000's of dollars to move. Need to have a place and job when I get there. How do I get those.

Telling people to move is not an answer to anything.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    What's it like to hate your friend's and family enough that you'd consider moving away from them?
    That I don't want to die in the same town I grew up like a fool. Friends moved away too, probably because we had some stones unlike some people.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL not having money to move isn't a excuse its a fact. So you are telling me that you was able to move from one state to another without money or a job waiting. What did you do walk and live in parks?

Or did you mooch off someone until u was able to get back on ur feet.

I love it another poster with a rags to riches story...
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD