10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokami View Post
    I did read something about companys that want profit... meh.
    It was merely as an example to show how scared the company actually is and what the biggest driving point is for them.
    As someone who has a company my first priority is my customers, because happy customers come back and spend more. Profits will come with it anyways (if you can do basic math and have understanding of economy you factor in profits anyways...).
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisderp View Post
    Their legal rights aren't in question here.
    Right. So then you do agree with my original point that Blizzard has to care, because it's their property. They can't just look the other way when someone else hands it to thousands of people without permission.

Ok then... stepping..away..slowly..

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    isn't every pay to win purchase just saving some time, a few days or a week?
    You haven't even seen what true Pay to Win looks like if you want to use WoW in the same category. If WoW is P2W then it's so lightly so it's not even worth bringing up in a P2W discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Lastly, and I pointed this out earlier, Blizzard doesn't make games for 100K-200K people (D2 aside which has practically no actual support cost at this point except to start up a new season or to update the executable ever 10 years so it lines up with OS revisions). 200K is not worth their time. Their business model is selling millions, not many thousands.
    How has that gone for them losing half their subs since the end of Wrath?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeden View Post
    You must have no life at all if you spend you're free time reporting people for playing or even talking about Nostalrius. So much hate in you young one enjoy your own life, it's people like you that made the gestapo so famous. What a snitch you are.

Golare har inga polare.
    how would you feel if someone stole from you?
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxDkDkxxx View Post
    Right. So then you do agree with my original point that Blizzard has to care, because it's their property. They can't just look the other way when someone else hands it to thousands of people without permission.

Ok then... stepping..away..slowly..
    please re-read my original post, just because you can step on ants doesn't mean it's required. hopefully you understand the point I'm trying to make

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing we can observe as a fact that for all of Nost's user base and it is impressive for a private server, they had been having financial problems and asking for donations that apparently were not sufficient to cover their expenses. I don't know that means quite as much compared to Blizzard putting up a legal vanilla server but it is certainly something to consider when deciding how many people would be willing to pay to support such an effort.

I also find it curious that many of the same people who accuse Blizzard of greed and all manner of financial shady dealings in the pursuit of profit seem to think that vanilla servers would be such a highly profitable situation for Blizzard to do. It's as if they believe that Blizzard hasn't run the numbers against the cost and found that it's not so profitable after all.

Lastly, and I pointed this out earlier, Blizzard doesn't make games for 100K-200K people (D2 aside which has practically no actual support cost at this point except to start up a new season or to update the executable ever 10 years so it lines up with OS revisions). 200K is not worth their time. Their business model is selling millions, not many thousands.

i am puzzled by the nost reported monthly expenses vs. their user base. it seems like, even assuming multiple accounts per user in some cases, a *penny* per actual player would have kept them close to green on ongoing expenses, per month. assuming all is euros, it is like there is a zero or two missing somewhere.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazalak View Post
    Not well but that's not germane to my point either. It is quite relevant to why they have no interest in supporting vanilla servers though. Which is, after all, what we are discussing here.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    how would you feel if someone stole from you?
    maybe some of the original devs played on nost too. Good thought.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Pretty well, actually.

A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

In a old old game, it's impressive to have so high numbers even now.

I bet Activision Blizzard is illegaly avoiding taxes like all the other big companies,
    but is crying when some illegaly "steals" their "intellectual property".

10+ Year Old Account
    Half their playerbase is still more than Nost can even dream to achieve not to mention the Nost has the bonus of being F2p

i am puzzled by the nost reported monthly expenses vs. their user base. it seems like, even assuming multiple accounts per user in some cases, a *penny* per actual player would have kept them close to green on ongoing expenses, per month.
    Surprise surprise, most people just enjoyed playing a free game. A crazy concept, I know.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Sorry to burst your fragile little bubble but I'm a vanilla baby, but thanks anyway for speaking for me.
    Without being a cock about things Zorkuus did you actually put much time into vanilla and did you actually enjoy it? Im up for everyone's opinion but i dont think ive came across many vanilla players that have such a strong dislike towards it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    Pretty well, actually.

Snip
    Because this graph only shows profits off World of Warcraft and not Hearthstone, D3, Overwatch, Starcraft or any other game/product released by this company ?
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

maybe some of the original devs played on nost too. Good thought.
    so in other words you are pro-theft.
    how sad and pathetic
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    i am puzzled by the nost reported monthly expenses vs. their user base. it seems like, even assuming multiple accounts per user in some cases, a *penny* per actual player would have kept them close to green on ongoing expenses, per month.
    I'm not. Most everyone there was there because it was free. In some theoretical world where Nost admins charge $20 for initial access and something like $10/month to continue to access and Blizzard leaves them alone I don't believe for a minute that their user base would climb past 4 or low 5 digits.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Not well but that's not germane to my point either. It is quite relevant to why they have no interest in supporting vanilla servers though. Which is, after all, what we are discussing here.

i think we discussed this before but for the thread, I think a smaller and/or privately held company might alrready have gone the classic server route in some fashion. this issue is more about Activision-blizzard being the property owner than anything. They think mass marketand they think accsssible and they sure as hell think BIG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyse View Post
    I bet Activision Blizzard is illegaly avoiding taxes
    Basing a standpoint on "I think" isn't going to do you any favors.