Quote Originally Posted by Bitterra View Post
    Wait you actually played nost? I had no idea you always seemed like one of those streamers that was complete opposed to it.
    I tried to stream feenix a few times Blizzard timed out my stream so we weren't allowed. So on my off time mostly Sunday nights i'd hit up a lvl or 2.
    http://twitch.tv/towelliee TowelRapaport #WoWsheet

Quote Originally Posted by PolarityER View Post
    That's sad. I was thinking about trying it out since I know so many people irl that have been loving Nost. I don't know anyone irl that plays WoW anymore.

Blizz should do Vanilla servers if they are going to shut down people trying to use old versions of the game. It could be like 2007scape. I would get a WoW membership if it came with Vanilla servers.
    There are no old versions of the game. The current version is all there is. Maybe you're just not cut out for evolving MMO's.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    You would have to pay another 30-40 dollars a MONTH and it still might not be enough revenue to not end up in the red doing the insanely stupid idea of vanilla servers
    That doesn't negate my problem now does it? It's not my problem to fix, it's Blizzard's problem to fix. They don't want to fix it, and just slam down on the little man. Then they won't have my money. Pretty simple. They obviously don't want my business. I will find a game that does or I will pirate the shit out of it. The onus is on Blizzard, not me or people like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeden View Post
    The demand has never been higher OBVIOUSLY why do you keep pulling "information" out of your ass constantly? WoW is argubly in it's worse state ever (even lower sub numbers then vanilla) and the contentdraught is making the demand even more noticeable. I just dont understand how you come to your conclusions, i really dont.
    the demand is what at most 80k?
    you would need at least 1 million for blizzard to even care.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxilot View Post
    *cluthes chest* Don't speak of such ill things!

No but I really do understand that it is piracy and legally against Blizzard ToS, I am not actually arguing that. It is just that Blizz seems to suddenly have taken an interest in something that's existed as long as WoW has. I seriously doubt they lost revenue over it, so there must be another reason behind suddenly closing it down.

The LotR anology doesn't really work in this case because Blizz is still getting money for the product they are actually selling. They aren't losing money, which Christopher Tolkien would have if LotR went off the shelves and copies suddenly started getting sold.
    I was just expanding on the copying book argument.

As for the game, the problem is that Nostalrius got pretty big. And they didn't refrain from publicizing the server. 150k players (granted that many, the majority played a couple of days and quit and they had a huge surge of players in the last months from players that unsubbed from WoD and would probably be back to Legion) is a lot for a private server. It's a LOT of people playing for free a game that was designed to be payed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    WoD was fine. Lacking content maybe but it wasn't full of bugs. If WoD had launched at 7-7.5 million it would've been as smooth as the MOP launch.
    Sure it wasn't buggy, but having drastically less content than any other xpac and lasting longer than any other xpac because blizz was busy making legion isn't exactly great.
    They had stability issues due to an additional 3 million people resubscribing on release. They added a couple hundred additional back end servers *that* week to compensate.
    All of those plus concurrent subs were lost when people realized that blizzard had basically given up on producing content.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    It would be better if we knew what Blizzard's break even point is.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    WoW is dead.
    WoW will still be around on April 11th.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    That's ridiculous and wrong. First, WoW isn't abandonware, it is current, supported and sold today. Claiming that Vanilla is abandonware and thus free-for-all is bullshit, it's like saying you don't want to pay for Office 365 because you'll just steal and use Office 2010 instead.

Try that and see how forgiving Microsoft is.
    He didn't say that WoW was abandonware, he said that implementation of the game is, and he's correct. And if you don't want to pay for O365, and had already owned 2010, you're free to continue using it, so this isn't the best comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Then i apologise if you took my forum post to harsh. I will never tell anyone what to think what is fun and what is not, but i will argue my way out of someone trying to do the opposite to me.
    Fine I'll say you could have fun and I'm sure others could too, but that number isn't high enough to support the costs to make those legacy severs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    I can speak for a lot of players when I say that a legacy realm is definitely wanted. Otherwise there would not be such a community backlash over the news of Nostalrius' impending disconnect.
    If you speak for 50,000 players, then all of you should head over to Indiegogo and create your own underfunded, doomed to failure, cheap clone of Wildstar, which was intended to be what "you all" wanted and which none of you all played anyway.

WoD was fine.
    Loooooooooooool. And thats why blizz keep pushing bad "content" to us, anything is "fine" now.

They will not get more subs closing private servers, it makes no sense. Nobody would play on a vanilla private server if they wanted to play on retail WoW.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    $15 a month from people who would otherwise not pay that subscription for live is profitable, the maintenance and upkeep of a classic server is negligible in this argument and you definitely know that; this isnt 2004 where hosting upkeep was actually a problem.
    There is no logical reason, outside of extremely high demand, for them to host and maintain code that's over a decade old.

Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    It would be better if we knew what Blizzard's break even point is.
    probably 1 million.
    if your lucky 500k.
    but it would also take many years for them to recreate the code and have it mostly bug free.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    How many people still play Pong? How many people still play the first MGS when they can play the new one?

Video games evolve fast, that's a bad comparison.
    It is not a bad comparison its a perfectly good one and you've just completely contradicted yourself to your last post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    WoW will still be around on April 11th.
    Why are you constantly trying to bait people, don't you have anything better to do?

If anything the best solution here would have been Blizzard partnering up with the private server and allowing them to continue that way. It would require no additional funding from Blizzard (unless they wanted to expand the server) and it would give them positive PR which is only in their interest right now.

Seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    I didn't play it but I'm pretty sure Nost had 150k active players and like 600k registered players. I could be wrong, and that's not counting the other pservers

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Fine I'll say you could have fun and I'm sure others could too, but that number isn't high enough to support the costs to make those legacy severs.
    Then take loyalties?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Well Vanilla has world PvP, it also needs players to actually communicate with each other and work together to clear content. And has challenging content outside raids. If you want those things, then WoD isnt better. It doesnt offer them at all.
    Yes because you can clear mythic or even heroic without communicating with players right? just because they added a shitty casual mode for bad anti social players doesn't mean the normal game no longer requires communication.

World PvP has been a joke since they made BG'S and usually involves people picking on the weaker players like bullies to feel good about themselves, BG'S/RBG's/Arena are a much more fun form of PvP that actually requires some form of skill.