Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    No that is the current expansion which they are still making money off of, I understand you disagree with me, but nitpicking down to x.x patch numbers seems a bit petty.

The statement you still haven't actually replied to, is the fact that vanilla wow is not legally available to be owned or played in and of itself.

And the funny thing is I'm playing devils advocate here, I don't support PServers, and I think vanilla wow is the worst WoW xpac that has ever existed.
    Calling Vanilla Xpac. Nice job m8. That didn't turn your post to troll post at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    You might mind more if you were trying to sell your car.
    Blizzard doesn't sell that game / experience anymore. I'm sure you've seen complaints about play the xpac or play the patch that exists on live. Personally I never got to experience wrath or cata when they were current, I don't hate the idea of actually getting to experience those xpacs the way they were meant to be experienced.

Blizzard was totally justified in what they did obviously, but if I were them it would give me pause that a 10 year old version of their game gained as much popularity as it did on a private server which is to say that's its not exactly hyper advertised or well known. Especially considering their live game has been hemorrhaging subs for quite a while, and yet the 10 year old version of the game had actually been consistently growing much like vanilla did in the past (though obviously in a much smaller scale it being a private server of a 10 year old game).

Just for the record, I played a total of about 20 minutes on that server a lil while back and never touched it again so I'm not exactly invested in that server (or any pservers of any game these days) and trying to defend it. The legal parts are obvious and clear cut, blizzard was in the right. The conversation shouldn't be about that, it should be about why people were playing that and what value there is in that.

People seem incapable of empathy these days.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Deleted
    No that is the current expansion which they are still making money off of, I understand you disagree with me, but nitpicking down to x.x patch numbers seems a bit petty.

The statement you still haven't actually replied to, is the fact that vanilla wow is not legally available to be owned or played in and of itself.

And the funny thing is I'm playing devils advocate here, I don't support PServers, and I think vanilla wow is the worst WoW xpac that has ever existed.
    One more time...

There isn't a thing called World of Warcraft Vanilla... There is only World of Warcraft! Period! Expansions only add to the base game, but there is only ONE game, one entity! You can buy World of Warcraft, it's called Warlords of Draenor!

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    And within a hour or two from servers go live post would popup with OMG i pay money fix this this and this and patch this.

Kinda funny that some people cry about the lack of stuff to do and content and at the same time demand a vanilla server with even less to do and ALOT less content.
    It is quite weird, but on the other hand I'm sure there are those that truly just enjoyed Nos and didn't shit on Retail at every turn/announce Nos as the "only true WoW".

Tbf it'd be worth them setting up an official Classic server just to have the discussion die down once and for all...make it so you can't access it without a proper sub, set a maintenance team on it but don't fix too much since it SHOULD be the Classic experience all throughout, bugs and all with restrictions in place to keep it separate from Live.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-04-07 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    Then what the hell is your point you're trying to make? Why would Nostalrius be as popular as it is, and why would such an uproar happen when it's shutting down, if people would just not play it? Have you played it? Have you seen how many people play it? Everyone I talked to either 1) still plays retail (like me), or 2) played retail but quit because of the game direction.
    The point is you overestimate the interest in legacy servers. Most people who quit WoW, just quit. They don't go to a private server to get their fix. They ain't coming back. the wildstar hypetrain came back to WoW, I doubt they went to a vanilla server after having been burned out by what they thought should've been "vanilla WoW 2.0".

Deleted
    The server had at least a hundred thousand players, but you guys are still going to claim that if there was a Blizzard classic server no one would play it or would get bored? Get real.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahcake View Post
    Calling Vanilla Xpac. Nice job m8. That didn't turn your post to troll post at all.
    What? Are you serious? I know it's not an xpac, but how are you going to refer to it in the context of xpacs?
    Last edited by deadman1; 2016-04-07 at 09:21 PM.

Those aren't contradicting statements, I said "it's not traditional abandonware" I still think it's a bit silly to enforce a law on something that causes no harm.

If you want to discuss something, I'm willing to, but if you are going to try to railroad me I don't see how that's constructive. Also you missed 2/3rds of my post.
    It's not abandonware in any sense, not even a little. There is no such thing as "Vanilla WoW" that is a player made term. World of Warcraft still exists and is still going. It can not be abandonware.

Deleted
    Again no court would rule in favor of nostralius.

And please stop editing half of my posts out.

Again no court would rule in favor of nostralius.
    I don't think you understand how this works.

The use of trademarks by third parties is not policed by any central entity.
    As a result, registered trademarks need to be defended at all times and mark holders must continually police marks for unlawful use by third parties themselves.

Failure to police a mark can result in the generification of the mark and a loss of registration rights.

And *anyone* (not just Nost people) can contest it and start using it.

So you see - there's no "court ruling in favor of anyone" - if the mark is not in use and defended as such, the holder loses the rights to it. Those are the rules.
    If you have a trademark and want to keep it - you have to defend and police it yourself. You have to. You don't have a choice. There's no "oh but we're a big company, the courts will hand it to us anyway" - it doesn't work like that.

It's use it or lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Itzatez View Post
    One more time...

There isn't a thing called World of Warcraft Vanilla... There is only World of Warcraft! Period! Expansions only add to the base game, but there is only ONE game, one entity! You can buy World of Warcraft, it's called Warlords of Draenor!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft

That isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    It's not abandonware in any sense, not even a little. There is no such thing as "Vanilla WoW" that is a player made term. World of Warcraft still exists and is still going. It can not be abandonware.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxilot View Post
    Yeah, they really are. It is like night and day. I guess you didn't test out the pserver. Playing both at the same time made the differences glaringly obvious. Vanilla, despite its bugs and flaws, was a true mmorpg. Current WoW, despite looking tons better, is not. They have stripped it for all its RPG elements and the constant menugaming has made it much less of an MMO.
    Well I can't argue with the whole change to the MMO quote that is true, something I have said myself a lot, but no game has ever managed to capture that WoW vanilla feel I will admit that, Vanilla Wow was awesome, I know I been playing it since just after launch.No other MMO has even came close to what Vanilla WoW was, tust me I have played too many and always came back to WoW.

I also don't blame people using private servers, wanna do it go right ahead, it's free, course you want it, but don't try a defend yourself and attack Blizzard when you knew something like this was going to happen. Private Servers are illegal and Blizzard have taken them down for a just reason because its against their terms of use and has been there for years.

Wanna be upset you lost hours of time on a private server, that's understandable, but don't take it out on Blizzard when you knew damn well what you were getting into when you joined the private server. You would be ignorant not to, I been tempted to join a public server loads of time, but I didn't, because you know how its going to end up. Blizzard are doing whats right by law.

Its the people defending and believing Private Servers are good that are the same people who believe downloading music, movies and games illegally for free are right too. It's not. Sorry if I come off as a goodie two shoes but as someone who has worked as a community officer I feel drawn to the law side of things.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Itzatez View Post
    One more time...

This is pretty much denial of reality right here. Otherwise thise thread couldn't exist That or you are deliberately misinterpreting the words people are using.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you pulling my leg? Communication with the community was a rare thing in the past, much more so than now. At best you could get out of them was something like: "paladins are healers, ret is a leveling spec (fuck you)".
    You're referring to a specific thing and you know it wasn't all like that. When I say feelings, it's more like the passion you can see in the game. Play Warcraft 3, D2 or even Wow up until Wotlk. There is something in these games that I cannot specifically put my finger on, but it's there. Look at fucking D3, especially how it was in the beginning. It was as if fucking investment bankers had come up with an algorithm that creates on demand games based on tags like cashflow, profit, # of players. No goddamn soul.

Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    The server had at least a hundred thousand players, but you guys are still going to claim that if there was a Blizzard classic server no one would play it or would get bored? Get real.
    FREE

FREE

FREE GAME

Sing it with me!

Who does it harm? Until you can provide that, you are just appealing to authority.
    It is demonstrably harming blizzard.

Some percentage of players, absent a free alternative, would be subbing up right now.

Even if that is one player that is fiscal harm.

Even if there were zero players who might actually sub, there is still brand dilution and thus brand value damage.

Even if you didn't like that, they are mandated to defend their trademarks or else they lose them, so they are forced to spend money on legal action proactively so as not to suffer later. That is harm too.

But you knew all that.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    FREE

FREE

FREE GAME

Sing it with me!
    Also nostalgia from people who were never there.

It's a perfect storm.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by xxxDkDkxxx View Post
    I don't think you understand how this works.

The use of trademarks by third parties is not policed by any central entity.
    As a result, registered trademarks need to be defended at all times and mark holders must continually police marks for unlawful use by third parties themselves.

Failure to police a mark can result in the generification of the mark and a loss of registration rights.

And *anyone* (not just Nost people) can contest it and start using it.

So you see - there's no "court ruling in favor of anyone" - if the mark is not in use and defended as such, the holder loses the rights to it. Those are the rules.
    If you have a trademark and want to keep it - you have to defend and police it yourself. You have to. You don't have a choice. There's no "oh but we're a big company, the courts will hand it to us anyway" - it doesn't work like that.

It's use it or lose it.
    This /10char

Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    It is demonstrably harming blizzard.

Some percentage of players, absent a free alternative, would be subbing up right now.

Even if that is one player that is fiscal harm.

Even if there were zero players who might actually sub, there is still brand dilution and thus brand value damage.
    It's not an alternative to the current game.

Even if you didn't like that, they are mandated to defend their trademarks or else they lose them, so they are forced to spend money on legal action proactively so as not to suffer later. That is harm too.
    No court would rule in favor of nostralius.

But you knew all that.
    You have to add that petty stuff to the end. Why can't you be civil?

Deleted

Now you just went full retard... Never go full retard...

You justifying your opinion with a Wikipedia link about a game? What has that to do with what legally WoW is or not?

I'll try to keep it simple.

World of Warcraft is a trademark and Intelectual Property of Blizzard. The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria, Warlords of Draenor and now Legion are also trademarks that expand the base trademark that is World of Warcraft.

World of Warcraft is a single entity that has been expanded and updated with the remaining trademarks (the expansions).

Infracted. Keep it civil
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-04-07 at 09:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Blizzard was totally justified in what they did obviously, but if I were them it would give me pause that a 10 year old version of their game gained as much popularity as it did on a private server which is to say that's its not exactly hyper advertised or well known. Especially considering their live game has been hemorrhaging subs for quite a while, and yet the 10 year old version of the game had actually been consistently growing much like vanilla did in the past (though obviously in a much smaller scale it being a private server of a 10 year old game).
    Turning that on its head Nost had about 100K active accounts for free. It's not a great deal of evidence to convince a game studio that sells games by the millions that they should invest any time or money in it. I don't disagree about the quality of play and I do agree there's much there for Blizzard to think about but it's very thin evidence that a return to that style of play would stop the slide in subs. It might be a preference, yours or mine, but there's nothing at all there to suggest that it would be successful in new content that people pay to play.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."