10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Which is absolutely different, of course.
    They are still doing paying for work on old outdated games. They should be looking to the future, according to their logic.
    Well they are....
    *looks at WoDs & Legions Nostalgia ploy*

Okay, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    How many static, non evolving PvE based games that ask a monthly fee are successful?
    Yes the longevity is PRECISELY the point why classic realms won't fly for long.
    That's not what you said originally, but okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    playing the same dungeon that requires communcation and team work but with different people is more varied than queueing for any of the post Cata nerf heroics and silently AoEing your way to some Valor points.
    Hmm definitely.
    But to be honest: At the end of TBC I was pretty sick of all of them dungeons & kara from all them badge runs. >.<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Well, they are free to enjoy Blizzards product through a legal means.
    Can I? Which Blizzard server exists in Vanilla state? This is why it`s bullcrap...Blizzard DO NOT offer any similar gaming experience what a vanilla private server does..It`s not a real competition. My guess they worried, because the playerbase of Nostralius reached the retail number...:P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    That's not what you said originally, but okay.
    Yes I did. You even quoted it yourself. I'll highlight it in bold for you:
    No, it can't.
    A never evolving PvE game cannot become popular.
    Esp not if you ask a monthly fee for it.
    PWN'D? :>

Hmm definitely.
    But to be honest: At the end of TBC I was pretty sick of all of them dungeons & kara from all them badge runs. >.<
    By the end of TBC only Magisters Terrace required any communcation (and maybe S'labs) but after t6 came out pretty much all the heroics were spamfests anyway. Shattered Halls with a t5 pally tank? GG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I don't think it was necessary the game mechanics that made it. It was the requirement to communicate. Not being funny but playing the same dungeon that requires communcation and team work but with different people is more varied than queueing for any of the post Cata nerf heroics and silently AoEing your way to some Valor points.
    Really? Because in dungeons I've done where you had to communicate, the content got old and done all the same and those that already knew what to do told those that didn't how to do it and that was it. There's only so many ways you can say "Sheep that and don't attack that".

I get communication when doing dungeons regularly, just talking or goofing, but the content still remains old and done to death.

No it might prove though that the concept of classic realms is more popular in EU region than in US.
    There is a small 17 page fred discussing "what was so great about vanilla" but that's it.

Either that or US CMs are more trigger happy with deletions, dunno.
    Well, most private servers which end up lasting are based in the EU, simply because if they were in the US Blizzard could administer legal action much more easily due to the lack of international affairs. More chance to stay around means more regional interest.

10+ Year Old Account
    By the end of TBC only Magisters Terrace required any communcation (and maybe S'labs) but after t6 came out pretty much all the heroics were spamfests anyway. Shattered Halls with a t5 pally tank? GG.
    Not with the people I used to hang out with.
    Brutallus has never been killed on our server pre 3.0 meganerf.

Tier 6? Damn that was like a super rare sight of the elite that played somewher *up there*.
    Doing the Bear run in ZA was stressful and the highlight in my TBC career next to doing Kael'thas despite BT/MH being current.
    Those were wildly different days, man... :X

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Yeh, thats not even close to the same thing but....ok.
    Of course it is. People on youtube are using songs for their videos all the time without permission. Some of them are even money through ads.

Quote Originally Posted by cateran View Post
    Can I? Which Blizzard server exists in Vanilla state? This is why it`s bullcrap...Blizzard DO NOT offer any similar gaming experience what a vanilla private server does..It`s not a real competition. My guess they worried, because the playerbase of Nostralius reached the retail number...:P
    Oh, so now we've gone from 800k created accounts, to 150k active players to "Nos reached retail numbers"...
    Nos was being tooted and horned for all to behold with streamers and Youtubers proclaiming their love for it far and wide and garnering more and more attention. It didn't reach retail numbers, it just became pretty damned known for a bootleg product. Of course Blizzard wouldn't sit idle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Of course it is. People on youtube are using songs for their videos all the time without permission. Some of them are even money through ads.
    They are subject to takedown notices as well. And many are taken down every day.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Oh, so now we've gone from 800k created accounts, to 150k active players to "Nos reached retail numbers"...
    Nos was being tooted and horned for all to behold with streamers and Youtubers proclaiming their love for it far and wide and garnering more and more attention. It didn't reach retail numbers, it just became pretty damned known for a bootleg product. Of course Blizzard wouldn't sit idle.
    If it were endorsed and advertised by Blizzard, Vanilla servers would reach numbers far greater than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Touch of Anarchy View Post
    Honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was some sort of event set in motion by Blizzard directly; fantastic way to gauge feedback on if players truly do want legacy servers, this seems to be running rampant across Warcraft fan/blogging sites, from what I was reading these realm developers came out of the wild blue yonder with no previous experience and managed to run a vanilla server, yet "other, popular private servers" are thriving and succeeding very well.

There's some more on this, and will be posting it later. Here's one example that comes to mind.

"We realize that some of you feel that the classic game was more fun than the current game, and as a result would like to revel in nostalgia; the developers however prefer to keep the game moving forward as they want the game to continuously evolve and progress.
    Vaneras (CM), Nov 28, 2009'

We have no plans of making pre-TBC realms. This goes against the very nature of an MMO and would be a logistical nightmare. There's no switch to flip on the realms to roll back years of patches and changes, and we don't intend to invent one so that a very small minority of players can play what we feel would be an inferior cousin of the World of Warcraft of today.
    Zarhym (CM), April 27, 2010

Chilton: Currently, my answer would be probably not. The reason I say that is because any massively multiplayer game that has pretty much ever existed and has ever done any expansions has always gotten the nostalgia of, "Oh God, wouldn't it be great if we could have classic servers!" and more than anything else that generally proves to be nostalgia. In most cases - in almost all cases - the way it ends up playing out is that the game wasn't as good back then as people remember it being and then when those servers become available, they go play there for a little bit and quickly remember that it wasn’t quite as good as what they remembered in their minds and they don’t play there anymore and you set up all these servers and you dedicated all this hardware to it and it really doesn't get much use. So, for me, the historical lesson is that it's not a very good idea to do *laughs* - it's a great idea to talk about.
    Tom Chilton (lead game designer), Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited by jibberbox85; 2016-04-07 at 11:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    If it were endorsed and advertised by Blizzard, Vanilla servers would reach numbers far greater than that.
    Initially: sure.
    Once the Nostalgia wore off and people were to realize that there will be NO NEW CONTENT in like EVER... participation would plummet.

It's human nature to get bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Really? Because in dungeons I've done where you had to communicate, the content got old and done all the same and those that already knew what to do told those that didn't how to do it and that was it. There's only so many ways you can say "Sheep that and don't attack that".

I get communication when doing dungeons regularly, just talking or goofing, but the content still remains old and done to death.
    Yeah but if you remove the need t osay "sheep that don't attack that" you just end up with mute runs. May as well be playing a single player game in that case.

This may not be obvious from my posting style but looong after dungeons became a "only speak when someone fucks up" affairs I would heartily enter with a chatty and positive attitude (it's what I like playing an MMO for) but I'd still say that in more than half of the cases you'd only get a "Hey" back if that. Some people don't want a multiplayer game and Blizzard has catered to them, and as a result you get World of Garrisoncraft, where basically everything shy of mythic raiding (and yes, on my medium pop realm there were heroic content pugs throughout) was achievable without forming any relationship with another player.

Which is fine and dandy. But it isn't what some players want.
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

And the facts behind this statement are...?

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    You think*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jibberbox85 View Post
    There's some more on this, and will be posting it later. Here's one example that comes to mind.
    There's really no need.

The "Wall of No" is easy enough to find.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-04-07 at 11:18 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Tier 6? Damn that was like a super rare sight of the elite that played somewher *up there*.
    Doing the Bear run in ZA was stressful and the highlight in my TBC career next to doing Kael'thas despite BT/MH being current.
    Those were wildly different days, man... :X
    "After" t6, (I'll conced I wasn't clear) so I kinda ment QD and the silly badge gear times.