Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I'm not saying everything isn't hard...I'm saying there's different difficulties for different people, and that's a good thing in my book. Keystones are looking very promising and I doubt they'll get nerfs since they're aimed at people wanting to tackle them and no one else.

New difficulty settings and different rewards = the way we get content that's NOT at risk of getting nerfed.

Maybe. Its a path that worked for raids, but they've shown less concern for the rest of the game since cata. No point arguing about what might happen though, we'll find out soon enough.

Which shows why Blizzard shouldn't listen to the people crying "there's no challenge!", since clearly those people aren't really in search of challenge...they just have the need to proclaim the period in which they excelled and felt accomplished as the one taking TRUE skill with no regards to who content is aimed at and how players have evolved and content with them...

Blizzard listening to people wanting the CHOICE for challenge through other channels than raiding however, that's a good thing!
    I agree, one of Blizzards biggest downfalls is listening to players who demand challenge that they can't handle, especially after TBC, and later Cataclysm. I think WoW's sweet spot is Wrath, where it was painfully easy.. I think that is WoW's true audience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itzatez View Post
    Well, you either are remembering things with tinted glasses or had very bad luck on your groups... t6 players would steamroll most heroic dungeons, and t5 would have to be careful on some pulls, but that doesn't make them super hard. And i never said they weren't hard... i said that they weren't THAT hard!
    for context, t5 was 2 tiers about what the dungeons themselves dropped (epic 110 blue 115). so yes, overgeared them by 2 tiers made for a pretty smooth run.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

10+ Year Old Account
    255 pages by the time I got off work. MMOChamp, you did not disappoint. Now let's try for 300 by 10 am tomorrow.

Well, Blizzard had the right to do so. I never played Vanilla, and if I did I wouldn't have been the 1% of people who experienced raiding, because I'm not a top 1% player. Lots of people seem to like talking about how much better it was, and while I admit that WoW has seen better days than WoD, it is probably still better than Vanilla, even though I do wish I played during Vanilla, mostly just so I could have been with the game since the beginning, which mostly just means I want all the anniversary pets I don't have and that one hunter bow with the plants on it that I can't get anymore because removing quest chains is a good idea apparently. Oh, and the brewfest mug.
    Last edited by spinner981; 2016-04-08 at 03:17 AM.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachbean View Post
    Yea but like I said so long as nost uses different code, which as far as I know bliz doesn't have their stuff out there for the taking...Then by U.S copyright law nothing should be wrong..The server had bugs (that were fixed) no wow veteran had ever seen before, because the server was using different code no wow veteran had ever seen before. and either way I was arguing the point that people who owned a copy of wow weren't thieves...we had every right to enjoy the free server so all the bliz supportes who don't get it and who are saying us thieves deserve to not enjoy this awesome game anymore are just complete idiots...it literally doesn't effect them in any way so why bother make stupid comments about it...It's the internet I know, a beautiful thing that allows us to connect to friends and play some vanilla wow. Not anymore though, least until some one starts the nost server back up...could happen i'll keep hoping!
    I can't tell if posters like you just make this up as you go along, or if you actually believe the nonsense you post.

It's a very simple concept. Everything in the client was designed by and owned by Blizzard, under copyright law. Access to that content is only with Blizzard's consent and permission. You have no rights to the content in the client, regardless of what server you use to access it. Period, end of story, every court this has been tested in has upheld it, in the US and the EU, and not just for Blizzard's content.

Your premise, and I laughingly label as such, is based purely on a childish idea that you have some right to a product that is no longer on the market, and your need to lash out at anyone who points this out to you by calling them "idiots".

It really astounds me, the blatant and almost purposeful disregard for anyone else's rights, in the name of made up rights, in this thread. Some of you are in for a rude awakening some day, when you enter the real world. I can only imagine you'd have to be a kid in school with no real world experience to post anything claiming rights to someone else's work.

Back when I used to dabble in downloading MP3s, at least I was honest that i knew I was stealing, and admitted it. I didn't make up fairy stories about "rights' I think I have over the material.

Someone said the word "stealing" has been missed in this thread. I think "rights" has been abused much, much, much more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Well, Blizzard had the right to do so. I never played Vanilla, and if I did I wouldn't have been the 1% of people who experienced raiding, because I'm not a top 1% player. Lots of people seem to like talking about how much better it was, and while I admit that WoW has seen better days than WoD, it is probably still better than Vanilla, even though I do wish I played during Vanilla, mostly just so I could have been with the game since the beginning, which mostly just means I want all the anniversary pets I don't have and that one hunter bow with the plants on it that I can't get anymore because removing quest chains is a good idea apparently. Oh, and the brewfest mug.
    Wouldn't you technically not still be able to get that from salvage chests?

10+ Year Old Account
    On Nostalrius, bosses that on Vanilla took months to die, were being killed on 1-2 days. Most guilds had BWL cleared on the first 3 weeks from release. The raid dps was higher on BWL than what was needed to kill Patch on Naxx... So yea, the player base evolved A LOT.
    why was player dps so high? I am highly skeptical, especially in the context of backward-engineering old raids, when the raids get cleared so fast.

should raid dps even have been able to be that high with mc/bwl gear?

I saw this on another server - kara was released and folks one-shot it in one day, yet the highest gear they could have had to that point was iilvl 115 + the iilvl of crafted weapons etc, cloth 3-piece sets, etc.. clearly there was a damage glitch (locks were doing 2k, for example), but even raids without locks were clearing very, very fast.. this to me clearly suggests raid undertuning. not everyone in a raid is a superhero raider.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2016-04-08 at 03:40 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Deleted
    Oh I don't doubt it, as I said, they were hard for the players of the time.
    People are not really looking for a challenge when playing vanilla servers. They are looking for a wow server that actually has a community.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Might as well call it a money issue if they are askng for donations so they can keep running and then fail at it.
    Where do you have information that they failed at it? Last forum post says they were paid through June 29th. It was shut down by Blizzard, that's what people are discussing. The Nostralius team said on the AMA they turned down donations. Where's your evidence for otherwise?

More importantly, might want to ask why some of you need to come up with another reason than Blizzard shut the server down? Just say they had the legal right to do so. Or is there something more at stake here?

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Wouldn't you technically not still be able to get that from salvage chests?
    Pretty sure you can't, maybe BMAH.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Well, lots of regurgitated lies and outright foolishness, but I definitely give you credit for at least admitting that you didn't actually play and are just parroting what other people have said. Just so you know, though, the people you're parroting didn't play either.

Quote Originally Posted by Marakesh View Post
    Then why haven't heroic dungeons been hard since cata?
    One minor reason, and one really very big reason.
    1. The Dungeon Finder was created. Turns out most people don't actually play optimally with randomly-matched party members, or at least being in a random party that's easy to start and easy to leave and required no real time commitment or social effort to form does little to engender a desire to put in any real degree of effort. As a result, trying to do a difficult dungeon with people you don't know that requires strategic pulling, CCing, and responses to boss mechanics is a great recipe for frustration.
    2. Wrath of the Lich King established a precedent for Heroic dungeons being a standard part of the baseline progression rather than a hard, more pinnacle challenge. This created the expectation that everyone would be running Heroic dungeons on a regular basis rather than the normal modes.

On its own, the first point probably wouldn't have been a big deal - after all, FF14's dungeons are all done through a dungeon finder system, and the associated problems largely don't exist in that game. However, it clashed HARD coming on the heels of the second point. In fact, I'd probably say that, more than anything else, Wrath's easy-mode Heroics destroyed the idea of Heroics being a hardmode that's really a part of the endgame itself than a quick means to gear up for raids. As a result, Heroics now are more or less what normal mode should be, with Mythics playing the part of what Heroic dungeons were meant to be like.

Quote Originally Posted by kri4o View Post
    Please, for heaven's sake, look up the fair use doctrine under US law. Educate yourself. There's nothing fair about STEALING Blizzard's game and hosting it for FREE. IT IS STEALING.
    US law is not applicable in the entire world you tool, it's nothing more than a fucking mod. That's it. Stop acting as if these people STOLE this. THEY PAID for it.

Quote Originally Posted by parlaa View Post
    People are not really looking for a challenge when playing vanilla servers. They are looking for a wow server that actually has a community.
    That's not what I've been seeing said about it, but I do find the community part easier to believe. People saying they play Classic for the community and old style feel are probably more truthful and anchored in reality than the ones proclaiming how there's no challenge and THAT'S why they play Classic...

Not that I've ever bought into the trope that "the community is dead", but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoreyai View Post
    US law is not applicable in the entire world you tool, it's nothing more than a fucking mod. That's it. Stop acting as if these people STOLE this. THEY PAID for it.
    Are you suggesting they paid Blizzard to license World of Warcraft?

Thats a very simplistic view, both from the trademark laws and from a technical point of view. As for trademark i know nothing, just the common sense. As for technical, you can't separate the "this is what i bought" and "this is what the Nostalrius Devs created". Everything that the Nostalrius devs created is copying or reverse engineering what Blizzard did and protected. That alone is illegal. Plus, for the server to work with the client, it had to interact with everything Blizzard did on the client side, which, again, its illegal. Not to mention the development Blizzard did on client-server-client communication technology that was being used by Nostalrius, which again... its illegal.
    The illegal thing they did honestly was give out torrent files for the game...the server was arguably unique from blizzards...proof of this is instance phasing in the world itself to decrease player traffic which wasn't a feature of vanilla servers...but again...I was arguing the point that people who supported bliz in the days when they deserved it arn't thieves because we all purchased the game and own it anyway, we didnt deserve to lose out on the fun man!....just let us vent and we will be out of your hair in a week or two ok?....with that being said...FUCK YOU BLIZ! unless you announce soon that roll back servers are on way - i'd even pay...but who wants em anyway!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoreyai View Post
    And re-distributed it without expressed permission of Activision-Blizzard. Stealing is stealing.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet, they had problems finding people to pay for 300€/month for the hardware... You are failing to see that the majority of Nostalrius players would not pay 12€ to play the game. They would find another private server to play while crying that Blizzard are greedy bastards.
    i dont believe they couldn't raise 1k or whatever a month from 150k very active accounts.

I also don't think their bandwidth was that cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Are you suggesting they paid Blizzard to license World of Warcraft?
    I think he's suggesting we paid $60 for World of Warcraft only to have access to it taken away from us when they decided to dump on it with progressively worse expansions.