Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't smoke any and I'm still a loser.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I don't smoke any and I'm still a loser.
    I don't think you're a loser.

But that's just apart of my religion.

The fourth commandment: "Nobody is a loser. You had fucking fun right? Screw the guy that got the trophy, it's pizza time."
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    No big surprise, drugs and drug users fucking suck. I'll never understand why people do such stupidity to themselves.
    Largely because it enables me to enjoy a much higher quality of life by reducing stress as well as mitigating my chronic migraines, as well as helping to boost my creative output.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Largely because it enables me to enjoy a much higher quality of life by reducing stress as well as mitigating my chronic migraines, as well as helping to boost my creative output.
    I've heard it does wonders to migraines (been suffering them since I was little) -- Unfortunately even medicinal marijuana is still on the no-list at my workplace.

People aren't nearly as in control of their lives as you think.
    People are in control of far more in their lives than you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    People are in control of far more in their lives than you think.
    There's very little evidence to suggest so.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

There's very little evidence to suggest so.
    All of the evidence says so. There are plenty of things that influence decision, but those decisions are still yours. You have no choice in death or taxes, the rest is up to you.
    Social status has become another scapegoat for personal decisions because the devil is out of vogue.
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of the evidence says so.
    Or not. If that was the case then people's behaviour wouldn't be as predictable as it is.

Legalized marijuana cited for increase in drugged driving accidents

Police said Ronald Hayes was high on drugs and alcohol and desperate to escape officers in Maryland, when he ran a red light and smashed into the side of a minivan filled with women and children, killing two of them.

Kendall Owens admitted to police that he was high on PCP and marijuana when he caused a multi-car crash that killed one driver and injured six others on Long Island, New York.

And Adrianna Young tested positive for marijuana, police said, after her car careened off an Ohio road, crashing into a house and killing a woman sitting on her couch.

--------------

When people the decision to toke up and drive...typically someone else pays the price.

Or not. If that was the case then people's behaviour wouldn't be as predictable as it is.
    People are influenced by their peers, sure. They're still making choices, as evidenced by everyone that has changed social status, or even geographical location. Suggesting that the lower classes are somehow incapable of making rational choices is frankly offensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    . . .
    When people the decision to toke up and drive...typically someone else pays the price.
    People under the influence of perception altering substances shouldn't drive, news at 11. Would you care to look up the metrics on how many people are killed because someone took Benadryl before going to work?

People under the influence of perception altering substances shouldn't drive, news at 11.
    That they choose to do so anyway says something.
    Would you care to look up the metrics on how many people are killed because someone took Benadryl before going to work?
    A little busy at the moment.
    Why not look such stats up and post what you find.

@Shadowferal

When living in a free society you're going to have to accept a certain level of risk and that means that bad things may happen on occasion. We shouldn't use individual tragic events to take away more of our freedom.

“They, who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

-Benjamin Franklin

Cannabis cancer truth-fact time!

Cannabis shrinks tumors because it activates the CB1 and CB2 Cannabinoid Receptors (found in the Brain,Lungs,Liver, and Kidneys for CB1 and Immune system for CB2) and cause the tumorous cells to activate apoptosis (Triggered Cell Death) thus causing a reduction of the tumor size by killing the cells off faster than normal.

But there is a rather huge downside. It only triggers apoptosis in cells with low amounts of CB1/CB2 Receptors. (It's unknown exactly what determines CB1 Receptor amounts, but CB2 Receptors seem to increase the stronger your immune system. Atleast that's what studies with treating rats has shown) In cells with medium to high amounts of CB1/CB2 Receptors instead of the cannabis triggering apoptosis it causes the cells to link to the AKT survival signal. Inhibiting natural decay/death, actively aiding tumors in uncontrolled growth, and potentially accelerating spread to non-cancerous cells.

A Third thing of note though. High Concentrated doses (Beyond what you can smoke) injected into the cells trigger Apoptosis regardless of the CB Receptors. Which has some pretty amazing potential for reducing tumor sizes.

Long story short. Smoking or taking hits only shrinks tumors if you have a compromised immune system or a less than healthy body producing less CB Receptors. In people with normal health smoking can actually aid in the growth of tumors in locations with Medium/High CB receptors. But the use of non-recreational cannabis has some great potential in medical applications.

Important bit of an edit, Despite knowing all that we still aren't actually sure WHY any of that happens. The body is weird man.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipebomb View Post
    @Shadowferal

When living in a free society you're going to have to accept a certain level of risk and that means that bad things may happen on occasion. We shouldn't use individual tragic events to take away more of our freedom.

“They, who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

-Benjamin Franklin
    hmf...This is why I support responsible gun ownership.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    There is a colossal amount of arrogance, ego and bias in this thread.

First off, while there is a mythical misconception that weed is not addictive, it is. Some people who smoke it a lot will go through withdrawals if they quit. That said, there have been a number of studies done on it and the percentage of people that use marijuana who become "addicted" is roughly (depending on which report you read) around 9%. Compare that number to alcohol at 15%, and exponentially higher numbers for cocaine and heroin. Not to mention tobacco at 32%.

The point is that people who will become addicted are as likely as they are going to be. All legalization has done has create a larger market for something where it used to exist in a dark vacuum. Getting angry at pot for accidents caused is incredibly stupid unless you are prepared to make the same argument for people having access to alcohol. In many respects, it's far less destructive than alcohol.

We have just reached a point in our countries history where the "prohibition" on pot is coming to an end. And in much the same way that when prohibition on alcohol ended and people were still bashing on "the devils drink", we are doing the same to pot. Because that's what we do. We've always known pot as illegal, and now the idea of legalization is causing mainstream society to say and do the same thing as we did then.

For those of you NOT in the know, there are two kinds of pot. Indica and Sativa. One is a body high, one is a head high. Not EVERYONE that uses pot every day are stoners or losers. Some are just trying to cope with depression and anxiety or stress. And I can tell you legally prescribed drugs are far more harmful to you (such as cymbalta for depression and tramadol for pain) than pot is.

Look, I don't personally use very often. I don't react well to pot. But my girlfriend does. She uses it to cope with pain and depression. She uses sativa (in oil form) before she goes to work and will take several small hits during the day. And she's a responsible and constructive employee. Sativa actually helps her focus past her anxiety. She uses indica when she gets home and it helps her decompress. And she's a MUCH happier person.

I am not saying YOU have to use or even try pot. But legalization for the country is coming and you aren't going to stop it. So you'd better get used to it. And yes, there will be stupid people. There will always BE stupid people. But not ALL people who use cannabis are stupid, or lazy, or losers. So please, for the love of god, stop using straw man arguments and anecdotal evidence to back up something you have zero personal experience with.

That's why drug tests will never go away here....

I will say this, if we had to choose between a nation with a "pot problem" vs. a nation with an "alcohol problem" it is a no brainer.

For example, chat with any cop and ask them "Would you rather have to break up a party of pot heads or a party of drunks?"

You could have a drink and not be incapacitated.
    But with a joint, the idea is to be incapacitated.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    You could have a drink and not be incapacitated.
    But with a joint, the idea is to be incapacitated.
    As with drinking and only having a drink or two, you can have a hit or two of some weed and not be incapacitated and still function fine. Not everyone wants to get fucked up when they smoke, some like to unwind and maybe play a game or watch a movie and take a hit or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    As with drinking and only having a drink or two, you can have a hit or two of some weed and not be incapacitated and still function fine. Not everyone wants to get fucked up when they smoke, some like to unwind and maybe play a game or watch a movie and take a hit or two.
    Ok come on, a "hit or two". I mean really?

We both know that would have to be the exception NOT the rule.

That is like opening a beer and having a swallow or two.