Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Why? They fill a need Blizzard clearly can't, i.e. a rich endgame and activities built around actual community.
    Community was destroyed by CRZ. Separate issue though. Guilds still provide better community. Also, current WoW has much more to do than vanilla WoW did, whether or not it's cutting edge end-game hard content is another question, and not one that seems relevant.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Blizz is 100% justified in taking Nost down.
    Just like I'm 100% justified in shooting a trespasser on my property.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post
    You have no argument, just toss insults around like a 13 year old.

Blizzard will lose nothing, they pissed off a bunch of freeloaders. Even people who hate WoD have no sympathy for you.
    I don't care. It's a bad look for Bliz. But keep feeling that cock deep in your loins. Idc about making arguments to people who don't know how to comprehend them.

They had no reason to take it down. NONE. Something being "illegal" is not a reason.
    Last edited by Dormie; 2016-04-08 at 05:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    In that case Blizz should charge a sub fee to access these servers.
    I'd be fine with that, providing it reflected the actual cost of running the infrastructure. They've already recomped the development cost of that content thousands of times over.

Plus, you know. We're already rewarding them for doing sweet fuck-all in the live game.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    You are yet to provide a valid argument. Nostalrius, in its most recent iteration, was a Blizzlike 1.12.1 Vanilla private server with 2 realms - a PvE realm and a PvP realm. You leveled 1-60 and could not purchase boosts or gear in any way. It used the 1.12.1 client, you need only change the realmlist to connect, just like pre-cata private servers had always operated.

Your argument seems to be 'it happened recently and not in 2005, therefore it is not real' which is a mind-bogglingly stupid argument.
    It's there, but you cant seem to connect the underlying infrastructure other than "it works and feels right". I even bolded the keyword.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    You don't seem to be grasping that piracy is a crime, a very dry cut crime.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who thinks Bliz shuts them down simply because they're illegal is just gullible. Why do you think they chose the most successful one? They don't want people to know Vanilla is/was popular. They'll just get you tools to sit on the forums and repeat 'drr they don't have the code to make a vanilla server' like good little sheep.
    Wanna know why Vanilla was so good? Was it the gameplay? Maybe. The story? HAH! My 4 year old grand niece could do better with her crayons. Challenge? PUH-leese. My entire guild migrated from EQ; WoW was easy mode.

Vanilla was good because there was nothing better in the market at the time. There, I said it. Nothing better. By today's standards, vanilla wow is a 5 or 6 out of 10 at best. It's grindy, has lots of unnecessary mechanics, simplistic bosses, linear progression, unbalanced PvP (look up world of roguecraft for the very worst example) and a god-awful story that only a fanboi could love. Rose-colored glasses aside, I too had great memories of vanilla. But let's be real; that was circa 2004.

12 years later... we have this thread. Vanilla is dead. Digging up graves is stealing. I don't give two shits about nostalgia purposes. Stealing is stealing. Your arguments are weak, your insults even moreso. I've made my point. You are clearly stage 2 now. Let me know when you hit 5. I doubt your bargaining phase will be entertaining. Good night.

I'll just say it again, the "good guy Blizzard" -thing would be to let folks create their own vanilla realms if they want. It's over TEN YEARS old and not competing with retail (if a person prefers a private vanilla realm, he won't be subscribing to retail wod even if the private realm gets shut down).

Blizzard were in no way deprived of ownership of anything. It wasn't stealing.
    Semantics. They used the IP without permission. It may not "technically" be stealing, but the end result is all the same. It's like streaming movies. Legally nothing can be done since it is within that grey area as you aren't downloading anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velnora View Post
    There doesn't have to be monetary value in order to be classified as stealing.
    The definition doesn't revolve around value, it revolves around who owns what. The simple fact is that Nostalrius did not take anything away from Blizzard, so they did not steal from Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatoss View Post
    So the world, characters, art, stories, classes, dungeons, raids, etc, was everything they (didn't steal from blizzard) and just happened to code a game nearly exactly the same as wow 1.x.x on their own? Also "They argue that the theft of intellectual property through copyright infringement has a very similar impact to stealing of physical property" So it's stealing but not stealing, if you will
    Stealing is the implication that you deprived someone else of their rightful property.

Nostalrius infringed on Blizzard's copyright. They did not steal anything.

It might seem like semantics but it's an important distinction to make. This was a case of copyright infringement, not theft. 'Stealing' someone's intellectual property is simply a misuse of the word. You are (unlawfully) using someone's IP, not stealing it.

Quote Originally Posted by pallyken View Post
    It's there, but you cant seem to connect the underlying infrastructure other than "it works and feels right". I even bolded the keyword.
    There is no 'underlying infrastructure.'

It's a video game. Don't be so pretentious. It works and feels right, therefore it is. That's how video games work.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Wanna know why Vanilla was so good? Was it the gameplay? Maybe. The story? HAH! My 4 year old grand niece could do better with her crayons. Challenge? PUH-leese. My entire guild migrated from EQ; WoW was easy mode.

Vanilla was good because there was nothing better in the market at the time. There, I said it. Nothing better. By today's standards, vanilla wow is a 5 or 6 out of 10 at best. It's grindy, has lots of unnecessary mechanics, simplistic bosses, linear progression, unbalanced PvP (look up world of roguecraft for the very worst example) and a god-awful story that only a fanboi could love. Rose-colored glasses aside, I too had great memories of vanilla. But let's be real; that was circa 2004.

12 years later... we have this thread. Vanilla is dead. Digging up graves is stealing. I don't give two shits about nostalgia purposes. Stealing is stealing. Your arguments are weak, your insults even moreso. I've made my point. You are clearly stage 2 now. Let me know when you hit 5. I doubt your bargaining phase will be entertaining. Good night.
    Yea Nostalrius had 7k+ active players because Vanilla sucked. But keep on with your dumbass excuses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Community was destroyed by CRZ. Separate issue though. Guilds still provide better community. Also, current WoW has much more to do than vanilla WoW did, whether or not it's cutting edge end-game hard content is another question, and not one that seems relevant.
    You can make a fairly tired argument that there's plenty "to do", i.e. old raids, 5 expacs worth of leveling, daily factions etc and that's fair enough. But it doesn't take away from the fact that players are funneled towards Apexis zones, Tannan jungle baleful tokens and HFC.

In Vanilla WoW there was a massive world to explore and all of it was relevant at level 60. Multiple raid tiers of progressive gear requirements and events like the AQ unlock. EP content for Naxx, etc. 10-15-player dungeons that took hours to clear. Spread out all over the world. Totally different from today.

Basically what was there all felt relevant.

You can make a fairly tired argument that there's plenty "to do", i.e. old raids, 5 expacs worth of leveling, daily factions etc and that's fair enough. But it doesn't take away from the fact that players are funneled towards Apexis zones, Tannan jungle baleful tokens and HFC.

In Vanilla WoW there was a massive world to explore and all of it was relevant at level 60. Multiple raid tiers of progressive gear requirements and events like the AQ unlock. EP content for Naxx, etc. 10-15-player dungeons that took hours to clear. Spread out all over the world. Totally different from today.

Basically what was there all felt relevant.
    So basically, if blizzard took all content in the game, forced players to de-level to match the zones they are in, and multiplied all enemy health pools everywhere in the game by 100, the game would suddenly contain more content?

Also, there aren't any events now, because we are between xpacs currently.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    You don't seem to be grasping that piracy is a crime, a very dry cut crime.

I could not care less that it's a crime. Neither could Blizzard. It being a "crime" is just Blizzards excuse for shutting them down. It being a crime is 100% irrelevant to everything except for Blizzard's excuse to shut it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripax View Post
    I'll just say it again, the "good guy Blizzard" -thing would be to let folks create their own vanilla realms if they want. It's over TEN YEARS old and not competing with retail (if a person prefers a private vanilla realm, he won't be subscribing to retail wod even if the private realm gets shut down).
    This.

Other games let the public run private servers. Bliz doesn't because somehow it's immoral and against the law when it comes to WoW.

Oh wait, not really, Bliz just wants you to play the current expansion so they feed you excuses on why classic realms can't exist.

Deleted
    J
    I don't care. It's a bad look for Bliz. But keep feeling that cock deep in your loins. Idc about making arguments to people who don't know how to comprehend them.

They had no reason to take it down. NONE. Something being "illegal" is not a reason.
    You have no idea how the world works.
    Anyhow, since you're posting here, I'm guessing you've played retail at some point?

How did it feel to take that cock in the ass? You started playing after the bnetd lawsuite so you already KNEW Blizzard was bad, evil corporate entity. Still you had to get some of that.

Or are you here arguing that you've only played on Nost and never touched the retail at all? Because you're a fucking hypocrite otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velnora View Post
    Semantics. They used the IP without permission. It may not "technically" be stealing, but the end result is all the same. It's like streaming movies. Legally nothing can be done since it is within that grey area as you aren't downloading anything.
    No semantics at all.

No deprivation of ownership.

No provable loss of ability to profit from the product or idea.

No removable of the ability to sell the product at a later date.

No profit derived from someone else's work on behalf of the pirate.

So, not stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by xxxDkDkxxx View Post
    You have no idea how the world works.
    Anyhow, since you're posting here, I'm guessing you've played retail at some point?

How did it feel to take that cock in the ass? You started playing after the bnetd lawsuite so you already KNEW Blizzard was bad, evil corporate entity. Still you had to get some of that.

Or are you here arguing that you've only played on Nost and never touched the retail at all? Because you're a fucking hypocrite otherwise.
    I'm arguing that there was no reason for Bliz to shut down Nostalrius outside of their own selfish intentions. They aren't some just company solving crimes.

Ask yourselves WHY they wanted to shut down Nostalrius.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be fine with that, providing it reflected the actual cost of running the infrastructure. They've already recomped the development cost of that content thousands of times over.

Plus, you know. We're already rewarding them for doing sweet fuck-all in the live game.
    And now I finally have a chance to bring this up.

Remember that infamous phrase in this thread, "You think you do, but you don't?"

Blizz buying up some 2005-era server blades and putting up a 1.12 PvE and PvP server is easy. And you can probably recoup the cost with a few months of resubs to play classic WoW.

But with bringing back 1.12, you bring back everything. All the bugs, and the glitches. All the crashes and the extended downtimes. You aren't getting a "perfected" version of the game, unless you want Blizz to sink development resources they could have spent on Legion on 1.12 bugfixes.

And speaking of Legion resources, there's the issue of what comes after people have killed Kel'thuzad. The people are either going to quit because there's "no content," or they're going to demand more content.

That's why Blizzard made BC to begin with. That's why Jagex continues to produce updates for Runescape Classic. Blizz would basically need two games to continue to reap the benefits of a Classic Server.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Looks good for Blizzard from my standpoint, and your rebellious tween approach isn't doing your cause any favors.

Nos was free, if I cared any, which I don't, I could have signed up, but I didn't, because I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdays View Post
    Looks good for Blizzard from my standpoint, and your rebellious tween approach isn't doing your cause any favors.

Nos was free, if I cared any, which I don't, I could have signed up, but I didn't, because I don't care.
    My rebellious "tween" approach is a result of your self-righteous pseudo-intellectual approach. Quit speaking for Blizzard and start using your brain.

I assume this has been put here but:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioningWho View Post
    I'm absolutely disgusted by some of the attitudes of the anti-nostalrius individuals here in this thread. You all cry "thief!" and "criminal!", provoking those who are affected by the closing of this server. You've gone out of your way to kick these people while they're down. All for... what? To make yourselves feel superior? To somehow demonstrate that you hold some sort of moral high ground? Or is it to show off yours seemingly infinite wisdom that you believe you possess?

The fact of the matter is, there are THOUSANDS of people who are upset by this turn of events. Just as your retail World of Warcraft means something to you, so too did Nostalrius mean something to a great many people. Take a moment and ask yourselves, how would you feel if (when) Blizzard shut down retail World of Warcraft? Would it not upset you, too? Would it make you feel any better to have those who enjoyed different games laughing at your plight?

What's wrong with some of you? Has the internet really become so toxic a place that we must publicly celebrate the negative circumstances that come upon those who differ from us, and go out of our way to humiliate them?

And what crime did Nostalrius players commit? How did they ever harm you? The only thing the Nostalrius community is guilty of is being passionate. A passion for the game, the world, and their fellow players.

With your attitudes, the only thing you've championed today is Blizzard's coffers. Not World of Warcraft. Not the MMO community. Not video games. The wallets of a few excessively wealthy individuals. That's who you've stood up for today with all your apathetic ridiculing and harassment. Bravo. You can rest easy tonight in your knowing that you were there to kick a few poor men and women who were down after losing perhaps one of their most beloved hobbies. A hobby which in no way truly negatively impacted you or anyone else.
    Individuals who have the law on their side. Stealing is stealing. The fact this thread is hitting hundreds of pages shows just how immature those defending the existence of this server is as well.

This entire thread is consisting of people confusing emotional justifications with facts. Fact: Blizzard owned IP. Fact: private servers are stealing. The end.