Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalagoth View Post
    Here's a few things people don't seem to understand, due to ignorance or willful stupidity.

Opinions are not facts.

"Vanilla was the best version of the game!" -- Opinion

"WoD is shit!" -- Opinion

The people on Reddit, on MMO-C, are a minority. Regardless of what side they 'supposedly' give their voice for. You (in general) completely erode any weight you put on your words, opinions and thoughts when you mindlessly bash either Blizzard or Nos.

Claiming those who defend Blizzard's decision to protect their Intellectual Property are Fanboys does not endear you to anyone except the group you're part of, which is very frequently viewed as willfully ignorant and unwilling to see the truth of the matter.

Here's the truth: the people who built up Nos knew they were going against the ToS and stealing Blizzard's IP. They understood, full well, that there was a chance that Blizzard would come down on them and force them, one way or another, to delete the server. Whether or not they intended to, they built a lot of Hope up for all of those people who played on those servers, either because they wanted to wax Nostalgia or they wanted to free-load and just play a free version of a game that doesn't really cost all that much.

I can't be arsed to wade through their website or forums to see if they put up that disclaimer, so if there is one, it'd be nice to see if they made any effort to warn their community about the possible consequences. The folks who got Nos up and running were pretty decent, they had good intentions, but the saying 'Good Intentions pave the way to hell' stands tantamount here, because they, in the end, stole Blizzard's WoW IP.

Do I think Blizzard should create Legacy Servers? No. I've been playing since early beta and while there was definitive community to speak of (I still remember a great many names and what happened on Lightbringer during my Aura days), I, personally, wouldn't play WoW if it was released now, as it was then. Why? Because I don't have the time, as an adult with a full-time job and a life outside of my computer.

I can't hard-core raid HFC or upcoming Legion like i did when we ground out the keys to get to Onyxia or the Waterlord rep to put out the sigils.

I can't farm endlessly for mats to make cloaks just so I don't get one-shot by shadowflame mechanics that serve no purpose outside of those rare instances.

I can't farm endlessly for soul shards as my warlock, or delving into LBRS for Rare-Con arrows/bullets to maximize my DPS.

Am I a fanboy for staying with Blizzard since their Lost Vikings/Rock n' Roll Racing days? Maybe. But I've canceled my subscription a number of times throughout WoW's life for a myriad of reasons. For all you Nos folks? If you really want to make any sort of impact, stop bitching. If you're subbed to WoW or paying for any of their services? Stop. It's as simple as that. There's next to no chance Blizzard will make Legacy servers, but the only way you can talk to a company of this size is with your wallet/check book/fatwadsofcash.
    And as everything you wrote is your opinion as well.
    Opinion you care about more than anyone else, so I don't see how it will have any more validity than anything written in this treat so far.

Nos were shutting down anyway because they couldn't afford to pay their server hosts

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
    Why should they? Its just a server full of people refusing to pay.
    you say that like its a crime, ask yourself a question, why would they give money to blizz ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    They addressed Tracer's ass and they addressed the community backlash when we were told we would never get flying back, so they better answer to this too. Not doing anything would mean ignoring thousands of fans and I am really interested in hearing what they now have to say about legacy servers now that they have seen what kind of demand there is for them.
    They HAVE addressed it, countless times, with an answer that many do not like.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Nos were shutting down anyway because they couldn't afford to pay their server hosts
    ITS NOT TRUE, they were testing TBC, why would they test TBC if they knew they had no money ?

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    He's saying that you already bought 2 copies, and the other guy too : that makes 4. And he was gonna buy one so that would make 5. But he didn't, so it's a loss of 1 not a gain of 1.

There is also two other possibilities :
    -One of you bought the 2nd copy for the only reason that he didn't, in that case there is no loss nor gain.
    -The two of you bought the 2nd copy for the only reason that he didn't, in that case it's a +1 gain.
    An expected amount of copies sold for 3 people is 3 copies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    So... they act 100% within their rights and shut down an illegal server, and now you want them to answer for it...? Why?
    It wasn't even shut down really, kek, it continues in Finland.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rehok View Post
    I never said that did i? i've seen you in other threads and you constantly push that legion is shit. I merely stated that a lot of us like the look of legion.
    And a lot of us don't, so what is your point? You don't see me going around threads and responding to people that like Legion that "that's just your opinion man".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    I see this thrown around a lot but I have never actually seen this backed up. I didn't play on Nos, in fact I hadn't heard of it before yesterday, so I might have missed it, but they were planning for future implementations, so I think this is false.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

No content for a year.

Yet, still so many mindless fanboys defend this greedy company.
    This explains why no content for a year !

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubaskot View Post
    ITS NOT TRUE, they were testing TBC, why would they test TBC if they knew they had no money ?
    IMO money isn't an issue with them. This was a passion project for em, but they certainly did look like they were struggling to keep the lights on. If they had to help pay out of pocket with 150K active users, it puts those players' motivations into question.

Don't know maybe some general statement at some point in the way you'd mention you banned a couple botters or gold sellers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I see this thrown around a lot but I have never actually seen this backed up. I didn't play on Nos, in fact I hadn't heard of it before yesterday, so I might have missed it, but they were planning for future implementations, so I think this is false.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...anmade/d1tv53p
    http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37403

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    No content for a year.

Yet, still so many mindless fanboys defend this greedy company.
    This explains why no content for a year !
    No content for almost a year.
    Yet, still so many defends a game version that has had no content for years.
    This doesn't explain how a legacy server can help at all, for people have crossed opinions about drought.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manx View Post
    And as everything you wrote is your opinion as well.
    Opinion you care about more than anyone else, so I don't see how it will have any more validity than anything written in this treat so far.
    Actually, the only part of what I put, that was an opinion, was the last part where I stated I couldn't do things now, that I could before, when I played in Vanilla. But that's the exact sort of sentiment I expected. The facts are there, one of them is what I posted. Whether or not you want to actually take the time to read/understand it, is out of my control.

Blizzard is a corporation. A Business. They will protect their Intellectual Property as needed. Nos stole that, and this is the result.

That is fact. You can try to gloss over it. You can try to decry it. But you can't change that immutable fact and that, ultimately, was the problem with the private server.

Now, Nos fully intends to give Blizzard all of their statistics and that may or may not influence the creation of a Legacy Server, but again, there is a very tiny chance of that actually happening, as they've stated repeatedly they're a progressive, rather than regressive, *business.

Just because Everquest/Daybreak, or Runescape, two IPs who're still in their deaththroes, only kept alive by the hardcore fans and those who want to gaze back fondly in nostalgia, doesn't mean Blizzard will any time in the near future.

Because Blizzard is still making a great deal of money, even with all of the sub-losses since WotLK, whereas Daybreak just recently killed their Everquest Next franchise and Runescape... is Runescape.

*Edit: a word.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've read that, but it doesn't say anything about shutting down, just that they have had to pitch in every now and then and that they changed the way people donated to make it more transparent.

Unless I've missed something, I see nothing indicating they would have shut down.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait wait wait... People are complaining about Blizzard shutting down a private server after this long.. and here I am...

Staring at this link, http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37403.

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT THERE -> "As some of you may have already noticed, the hidden donation link within our forum has been removed a few weeks ago. This means that we'll no longer accept any further donations whatsoever. All the funds donated have been used to pay for the current hardware upkeep as far as it could, with additional fund provided by ourselves to match the needs. "

That part right there guys, that there is one of the main reasons private servers are shut down in the first place. I think the story is more now, Blizzard found out that people was receiving donations for their server, as in - even though for hosting, it is still profitting on someone else's product.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    No, why would they if you and the dirtbags who were using their IP without compensating them for it are trying to scare them into caving in so you can once again play their IP without paying for it you are more stupid than you sound. Oh no 12,000 people won't but legion like Blizzard gives a shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I've read that, but it doesn't say anything about shutting down, just that they have had to pitch in every now and then and that they changed the way people donated to make it more transparent.

Unless I've missed something, I see nothing indicating they would have shut down.
    It's late. I tried!

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the day someone is required to make a public statement to defend themselves for protecting their own IP is the day we'll see Donald Trump building mosques with his bare hands. Suck it up. They broke the law, they got smacked, for fuck sake they could have done so much worse even.

Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    There are servers out there that have existed for years. They aren't trying to shut them down. The only reason they tried to shut down Nostalrius was because it was so popular and it showed that people like Vanilla more than the current state of the game. They don't want people to think that Warlords of Draenor is less enjoyable than the game was 11 years ago.
    You misspelled no monthly fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.