Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    WoD servers are still up, my friend.
    So is Nostalrius!

... for two more days.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Because

A. Nos crew doesn't have to integrate Battle.net and all the other features the platform currently has.
    B. Nos crew is emulating, Blizzard have to redo the code from scratch, code which they dont have anymore.
    C. Let's say a bug causes the server to lag/crash over several days, let's compare each forum to eachother

Nos: It's okay guys, do anything you can to get the servers up again, loving the dedication!
    Blizz: OMFG BLIZZ I TOOK 4 DAYS OFF WORK SO I COULD SIT IN MY TANK TOP PLAYING VANILLA BUT YOU CANT EVEN FUCKING KEEP THE SERVERS UP, YOU FUCKING TRASHBAGS.
    right, cannot forget 'the dog ate my secure version remote locatoin(s) backups.'
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Krassz1096 View Post
    Blizzard doesn't support WoW anymore? Are you stupid?

I know you can be like "OMG WOD IS SO BAD BLIZZ DONT CARE ANYMORE, WORST GAME EVER IGN 0/10" but to say they don't support it is just absolutely dishonest.
    He obviously meant WoW Vanilla and not WoW in general....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    Yes, I think Blizzard used to measure their subscriber number in a way, that someone who was subbed 3 months ago was still counted.

btw. Nostalrius had constantly 12-15k People online
    2-3 months ago it had maybe 9-10k at peaks, otherwise it was sitting at 6-7k when the US people came on.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    right, cannot forget 'the dog ate my secure version remote locatoin(s) backups.'
    Yeah anyone who believes Blizzard just got rid of all their old copies/versions of WoW would probably buy some swampland in Florida if you tried to sell it to them.

well it is the entrance of large publicly traded companies into video games - it is design by spreadsheet. it is the main reason I don't think blizzard today is institutionally capable of released an unperverted classic server. so much of the game as it was would go against everything they have tried to make the game into.
    That is also a valid point - more so if there is a bigger adherence than I'd expect - but I can indeed see how some individual developers would be bummed down by seeing people, instead of wanting to play their vision of what's good, would instead chose to play that "old\crude" version of World of Warcraft.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Because, while there was a time in which Blizzard would say "Yeah, that'd be neat! Have fun, folk!"; However, over the course of the years, it's all about how much justifies X and if implement Z is financially viable and if it's content worth implementing, and so on (read: the entire discussion around LFR and how it justifies PvE End-Game, blabla)

A free Legacy server, while awesome for the specific players who are interested in it, would by default be a very small, niche community. But as it's free, it's a "dead weight" to Activision-Blizzard. It's not self-sustainable, therefore something, somewhere, has to suffer for it - in other words, it's not justifiable.

Now, we could go with a paid Legacy Server. However, imagining that already small and niche community with the free server, imagine how smaller it would be if one had to monthly pay in order to be able to access stale content, that will receive no (to barely any) updates. It would, once again, not be justifiable.
    You could argue that yes, paid legacy servers would compete with free legacy servers. However, I firmly believe the demand for the vanilla WoW *model* is far, far greater than Blizzard are currently willing to admit.

Personally, I bypass Blizzard's internal politics by simply not playing their game. It's their game, so they can do whatever they want with it. I accept that.

But we are going to prove to Blizzard that there is a huge demand for what WoW has lost.

Deleted
    Yes, I think Blizzard used to measure their subscriber number in a way, that someone who was subbed 3 months ago was still counted.

btw. Nostalrius had constantly 12-15k People online
    Really that many? That makes my previous point even more relevant. That's an incredible amount of players for something so heavily kept under the radar.

Deleted
    Right, let's be delusional and think that they would keep source code for every iteration of patches on their platform, EVEN after they changed the engine itself rendering most of the old content non compatible eitherway. But let's keep that 10 year old source code anyway, JUST in case we have to roll back 10 years.

Deleted
    Lets face it
    Those "pirates" offered something which isn't offered by the company who owns this product and that company has no plans to offer it at any point. So this changed nothing. Closing this server is pointless, new one is going to be up soon or later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    So is Nostalrius!

... for two more days.
    Didn't play on Nost. Nice try, though. I was only pointing out that anything is better than WoD.

10+ Year Old Account
    A private server itself is not stolen property. You hav to program the emulator by yourself. No one has stolen Blizzards Code, assets etc.
    Yes it is. It's stolen assets, marketed as a server run by a team that isn't Blizzard who has reverse-engineered a back-end database from it.

Chances are they have most if not all of that code but like we've said so many times:

1 - The databases no longer match and the data quite literally does not match those old systems
    2 - There are years of security fixes and exploit patches that they'd have to weave into the old code if they found it all
    3 - There are significant changes in hardware from 10 years ago to today. Don't assume it'll just run out-of-the-box, I have multiple VM's because of games I own that are 5, 6, 7, 8 years+ old that can't run on newer operating systems, CPU's, GPU's, and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Speaking of pandas, I actually chose to skip MoP completely because Im not interested in that sort of stuff (furries and Asian).
    Missed a good expansion. Compared to wod missed a great expansion

People mad that a company shut you down for stealing all their work? Hahaha...

Ofc

That moment when you finally manage to explain to someone that there's no imaginable way that Blizzard has lost the Code and 5min later comes the next Person that thinks Blizzard doesn't do backups.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Didn't play on Nost. Nice try, though. I was only pointing out that anything is better than WoD.
    Opinions are like assholes: everyone's got one.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

A private server itself is not stolen property. You hav to program the emulator by yourself. No one has stolen Blizzards Code, assets etc.
    False.

Trademark protects the look, feel, and conceptual expression of the intellectual property. It DOES NOT MATTER how it's replicated or acquired, nor does it matter how it's expressed. The fact that it produces what Blizzard has protected means it's stolen.

A server that replicates a protected trademark using MAGIC is still stealing it.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    He obviously meant WoW Vanilla and not WoW in general....
    It's the same game.

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Right, let's be delusional and think that they would keep source code for every iteration of patches on their platform, EVEN after they changed the engine itself rendering most of the old content non compatible eitherway. But let's keep that 10 year old source code anyway, JUST in case we have to roll back 10 years.
    "billion dollar companies don't keep extensive backups of their products"

lmfao gullible fan is gullible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    People mad that a company shut down a private server that provided a service that Blizzard isn't willing to provide.? Hahaha...
    Fixed that for you mate. Oh? You don't enjoy it when it's the factual truth that doesn't fit your mock-the-pserver-players agenda? Oh too bad.