Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    If that announcement was on paper would it even be legible from under the tear stains?

Jesus, Celestalon. Crutch word much?

"Say 'hyperbole' again. Say 'hyperbole' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say hyperbole one more Goddamn time!"

He really doesn't like being disagreed with, does he? I'd put him pretty high on my list for 'What's wrong with the Blizzard WoW devs".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by treecut View Post
    Such a shame with Nostalrius server shutting down.

Sounds like a humble team that only wanted to deliver something most people could re-live - the vanilla experience.

They did something blizzard can't/won't do, and as far as I know, they didn't make any money off of running their emulated server.

Good luck in the future Nostalrius team.
    "Humble" team that admitted they broke the law.

Sorry, I have about as much sympathy for them as anyone caught speeding, or buying cocaine, or cheating on their taxes.

All fun for someone to do, but illegal. Play with the big dogs, don't come crying when you get bit.

Let the sniveling about my comments commence!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Senaelanna View Post
    And did what with it? Turned exactly $0 in profit? Big deal.
    The only difference that makes is the kinds of compensation Blizzard can sue for.

Copyright infringement is not conditional. YOU CANNOT USE IT. Period.

If I xerox the Harry Potter books and give them away online, her publisher is not going to sit there and say "Oh, no profits - carry on!"

See, in the adult world, laws have meaning, and repercussions. "I WANT" means nothing, if you don't have the rights or permission. Profit is secondary to the infringement.

It's hilarious and pathetic and really soul killing watching all of you illegal-server kids make these preposterous claims to justify doing what you're not allowed to. Your moral bankruptcy isn't surprising, given our society, but your determination to justify your actions, and couching them as a 'right", and twisting and perverting morality to justify it is just....filthy.

the fact that MMO is even highlighting this letter seems to lend a tacit support to what they were doing and to private servers and if I was a part of Blizz would kill any chance at MMO-champ of ever having any cooperation from Blizz ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    Theft does not = loss of money or someone else profited off of the stolen item(s). It just means you took something that isn't yours without permission. Stop equating no loss of money/revenue in this situation to anything other than theft.
    The correct word is "infringement". Infringement is not always theft, in a legal sense - theft has a distinct meaning in legal terms, and copyright violations don't always conform. Infringement is still a valid legal term of a law being broken however, it doesn't diminish the severity of the issue.

The real issue here is that there was a copyright infringement. That's all that needs to happen, Blizzard has grounds to sue. The money aspect comes into play in terms of compensation as part of the lawsuit. If you steal my t-shirt design and give it away, I can still tell you to stop - but I can't sue for damages, as there are none. If you sell them, then i can claim your profits as damages. (If it's a physical copy, and you sell them, then it becomes a counterfeit case, with potential criminal charges.) It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the TL;DR version.

The only thing greater than the hilarity of the illegal server shutdown comments is the massive, widespread sheer ignorance of copyright laws. But pointing that out won't stop the flood of butthurt over it - they'll just move the goalposts and snivel over the new goal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fennesz View Post
    It's not theft. Nothing was stolen.
    You're right. There was no theft.

But there WAS a copyright infringement, and that's illegal.

See how the real world works?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wooters View Post
    they should just bring the server up again in a country without a legal treaty with the us. then blizz can`t do a god damn thing with their problem. would get them what they deserve rather nicely
    Good luck with that - almost every country in the world belongs to the WIPO, which gives Blizzard the jurisdiction to sue. But, i hear there are some small countries in Africa, run by warlords, who don't recognize the WIPO, I'm sure they'll love to take your money. Or, North Korea.

See, the adult world has laws, to prevent exactly what you're demanding. "I want free shit" has been dealt with, with copyright laws and treaties.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by andraxion View Post
    I get that it is morally objective on Nostalrius' behalf, but nothing was stolen in any capacity. I don't know where you guys get off on that, but every single thing on the server was hand scripted and tested. Be it by Nostalrius' devs or the Mangos devs before that. The client? It's free, it came on free DVDs, it came in a box of CDs, it came free as a download on the internet. There is nothing on a private server that wasn't already available to the players.
    Irrelevant. Their server allowed you access to Blizzard's IP, which is a copyright violation. Thus, illegal.

If that server allowed access to a game they designed, there'd be no problem. Accessing Blizzard's game? Not allowed, by law. Their (Blizzard's) authentication servers are the only legal way to play World of Warcraft, by buying a subscription, or creating a trial account.

Just give it up. Even that server's owners admit they were breaking the law. Trying to find loopholes or poor logic to justify it is pointless.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Yall arguing about vanilla servers when we all should be worshipping chaud for that masterful sheep video.

(that staff is creepy as fuck but will watch over and over for the ending)
    I remeber looking at that video yesterday, I did not know what I was getting into. Shivers
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    the size of that sheeps head suggests to me that a Sheep mount could be available. That should keep the Taffy's happy

I think Blizzard are scared about the increasing popularity of Vanilla servers, if i knew about NOS i would of played it since i was a hardcore player back in Vanilla and would love to have them days back. It's Blizzards fault for people wanting a more NOStalgic WoW experience and i cannot blame them, the game is a shadow of its former self. I think Blizzard doesn't want to open up Vanilla servers since they might be more popular than the current game.

Also the devs trying to use big words to justify the dumbing down of the game more is ever so funny, screw these devs and screw Blizzard, I've lost all respect for this once great company that use to care about their IPs. Blizzard don't care about WoW anymore and i wish another MMO with passion would come along and sweep me off my feet. Up until the end of TBC WoW had a sense of community that i was proud to be a part of, i knew a lot of people on my server for me being a good Resto Shaman now people don't care who anyone is. People log on and sit in queues all day without going into the real world, or as i like to call it the "instant gratification generation" Oh this is too hard, or it takes too long, stop the QQ and harden the fuck up. Sick of the vocal minority, all ways ruin it for the majority. Blizzard need to get of this bullshit call order halls aka garrisons 2.0, more so the shitty follower system and be done with the fackbook shit. Make daily quest hubs and less clicking on a UI, it's a damn MMO not a facebook game for crying out loud.

/Get off my Lawn

Edit: Also that sheep staff is the best idea Blizzard has come up with in years, i vote who ever came up with that idea needs to be Lead Developer for WoW.
    Last edited by Roar-Powah; 2016-04-08 at 09:25 PM.

If Blizzard just made their own classic servers they wouldn't even have to shut down small groups of people trying to play WoW they liked most.

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    the fact that MMO is even highlighting this letter seems to lend a tacit support to what they were doing and to private servers and if I was a part of Blizz would kill any chance at MMO-champ of ever having any cooperation from Blizz ever again.
    To be honest it would have been very strange if MMOC as the WoW news website wouldn't have said anything.

In Germany not only tech and gaming magazines reported about this issue, but the websites of some of the largest newspapers as well, like
    Sueddeutsche: games manufacturer upsets World of Warcraft nostalgics
    Zeit: "World of Warcraft": nostalgia or nothing

where they talk about the interest of nostalgic WoW fans to offer a non-profit vanilla server because Blizzard doesn't want to do so and their petition vs Blizzard's interest in doing whatever they want with their IP.
    Last edited by Tx20; 2016-04-08 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    If Blizzard just made their own classic servers they wouldn't even have to shut down small groups of people trying to play WoW they liked most.
    I still don't get the appeal of a classic server. Where you have only warrior tanks, Priest/druid healers and the only real dps are mages, locks, rogues, hunters. Shaman and Pallys are there just to buff and spam a heal in a raid. Horde only have Shaman and Alliance Pallys. No flying mounts. What do you do? Just run MC, BLW, Ony, and AQ over and over again?

No Jewel crafting. No Monks or Death Knights. I guess I don't get the appeal. Sounds silly to me. *shrug*

10+ Year Old Account
    so these people want to use a game that is still being sold and run despite whatever patch is it up to...illegally and without paying a cent yet cry when they get caught? WoW may not be once it what was but that doesnt give ppl the right to move goal posts to suit their own agendas

Garona and Guildan look awesome. Also that staff is ridiculous.... I WANT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Jesus, Celestalon. Crutch word much?

"Say 'hyperbole' again. Say 'hyperbole' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say hyperbole one more Goddamn time!"

He really doesn't like being disagreed with, does he? I'd put him pretty high on my list for 'What's wrong with the Blizzard WoW devs".
    While I cannot ever forgive him for being a hidden deaf, dumb, and blind ninja during WoD Beta, he absolutely is right in this one instance. People ARE being hyperbolic by saying "pruning cut my rotation to 2 abilities," that is a gross exaggeration. And he IS correct is saying that the talents can add complexity to your rotation if you so choose.

Whether people find these new potential rotations FUN is a different matter entirely, and that is the kind of feedback that needs to be given.

Sheep staff video invalidates all argument about vanilla servers.

Thumbs up Chaud

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    1) MMO-Champion is a gaming news web site with primary focus on Blizzard Entertainment properties, particularly World of Warcraft. It would have been very eyebrow-raising if the web site avoided mention of the story when even non-gaming news outlets have picked up on the story.

2) I can't stop giggling. Blizzard has disliked MMO-C for several years, and has demonstrated it in ways that outsiders rarely have opportunity to witness for themselves. If you were "a part of Blizz" and in a position to make that decision, there would be little difference in the love-hate relationship.
    2021-09-21
    23:02 chelly: bobs and virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
    While I cannot ever forgive him for being a hidden deaf, dumb, and blind ninja during WoD Beta, he absolutely is right in this one instance. People ARE being hyperbolic by saying "pruning cut my rotation to 2 abilities," that is a gross exaggeration. And he IS correct is saying that the talents can add complexity to your rotation if you so choose.

Whether people find these new potential rotations FUN is a different matter entirely, and that is the kind of feedback that needs to be given.
    He's sort of right. He's a fool. He honestly thought giving alpha access to streams and expecting free marketing AND feedback without bias?
    Sorry buddy, few things in this world are free. I'd be siding with him if, and only if, they didn't prioritize streamers.

They wanted free marketing more than feedback and they got exactly what they asked for but it wasn't what they wanted. This is something children learn early in life and many people continually are forced to re-learn when they try and take advantage of others to get something for nothing.

So while he's right *technically*, I have no sympathy because he was a fool to not see this happen given the client base they handed it out to. am I being harsh? Yes. Am I being too harsh? I don't think so.

That wanted to eat their cake and have it too.

edit: I didn't finish the sheep video assuming it was a legit thing (e.g. something you get on the side for xmog as a silly joke). Didn't even realize it was a mmo-c joke. That's what I get for skipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Yall arguing about vanilla servers when we all should be worshipping chaud for that masterful sheep video.

(that staff is creepy as fuck but will watch over and over for the ending)
    Lmao thanks for pointing that out, didn't watch it until you said something. That couldn't have been done any better, GG Chaud.

Quote Originally Posted by Roar-Powah View Post
    I think Blizzard are scared about the increasing popularity of Vanilla servers, if i knew about NOS i would of played it since i was a hardcore player back in Vanilla and would love to have them days back. It's Blizzards fault for people wanting a more NOStalgic WoW experience and i cannot blame them, the game is a shadow of its former self. I think Blizzard doesn't want to open up Vanilla servers since they might be more popular than the current game.

Also the devs trying to use big words to justify the dumbing down of the game more is ever so funny, screw these devs and screw Blizzard, I've lost all respect for this once great company that use to care about their IPs. Blizzard don't care about WoW anymore and i wish another MMO with passion would come along and sweep me off my feet. Up until the end of TBC WoW had a sense of community that i was proud to be a part of, i knew a lot of people on my server for me being a good Resto Shaman now people don't care who anyone is. People log on and sit in queues all day without going into the real world, or as i like to call it the "instant gratification generation" Oh this is too hard, or it takes too long, stop the QQ and harden the fuck up. Sick of the vocal minority, all ways ruin it for the majority. Blizzard need to get of this bullshit call order halls aka garrisons 2.0, more so the shitty follower system and be done with the fackbook shit. Make daily quest hubs and less clicking on a UI, it's a damn MMO not a facebook game for crying out loud.

/Get off my Lawn

Edit: Also that sheep staff is the best idea Blizzard has come up with in years, i vote who ever came up with that idea needs to be Lead Developer for WoW.
    The real problem is the MMO genre as a whole is dying. No MMO has ever gotten close to WoW's numbers, and of course their numbers are falling. Stuff like EQNext get cancelled before they can actually release is also quite telling. People don't want that soul crushing grind back, and those that do, only want it for nostalgia and only from classic WoW given how quick Wildstar failed. The days of the MMO are long since gone. Every other option on the market came and failed and had to resort to F2P status besides FFXIV, and that really only has players because of it's ties to Final Fantasy.

Should Blizzard open up legacy servers they'd get some people joining because of hype and nostalgia, but I don't feel that it'll be anywhere close to as popular as the people who want it seem to believe. It will never get close to old Vanilla numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzic518 View Post
    so these people want to use a game that is still being sold and run despite whatever patch is it up to...illegally and without paying a cent yet cry when they get caught? WoW may not be once it what was but that doesnt give ppl the right to move goal posts to suit their own agendas
    Yup and people are still trying to claim "it's not theft" to make up some desperate delusion that nothing wrong was going on. Amusing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrosis View Post
    The real problem is the MMO genre as a whole is dying. No MMO has ever gotten close to WoW's numbers, and of course their numbers are falling. Stuff like EQNext get cancelled before they can actually release is also quite telling. People don't want that soul crushing grind back, and those that do, only want it for nostalgia and only from classic WoW given how quick Wildstar failed. The days of the MMO are long since gone. Every other option on the market came and failed and had to resort to F2P status besides FFXIV, and that really only has players because of it's ties to Final Fantasy.

Should Blizzard open up legacy servers they'd get some people joining because of hype and nostalgia, but I don't feel that it'll be anywhere close to as popular as the people who want it seem to believe. It will never get close to old Vanilla numbers.
    On FF14's note. It really doesn't need an EU/US playerbase to stay afloat because it has a popularity in Japan. That's why 11 is still going with a sub model because of the dedicated Japanese playerbase.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Gul'dan looks really really really bad?
    I think Garona looks ridiculous, tbh.
    Gul'dan I have no problem with.