Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I used to play on a PS, But that was a long time ago, like late vanilla days. After which I switched to live servers and stayed there until mid WoD.

I understand why most people want to go and play on a vanilla server. But can they complain and blame Blizzard about it? I dont think so.

They can keep asking Blizzard about vanilla servers and Blizzard will keep saying NO.

I suggest switching to another MMO, instead of playing on a private server. You can keep paying subscriptions to Blizzard if that makes your conscience rest easier whrn you're playing on a PS. but i lost respect for WOW dev team when they so boldly called patch 6.1 a "major content" patch and treated the fans like a bunch of idiots during this whole expansion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Actually yes they did in part (and the other part was coded by the community, not Blizzard).
    As usual, the Blizzard fanboys are ignorant and don't even know how a private server works nor what it is.

So just to educate people like you : private servers are programs which are entirely developped outside Blizzard. They EMULATE a "real" Blizzard servers functionnally, but their code is NOT copied from Blizzard.
    The server code is emulated but they still require the copyrighted Blizzard WoW client. Plus, the first private server ever developed happened after Blizzard was compromised in 2003. They stole the source code to the Alpha and started building from there. Without that stolen code they couldn't create shit.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    They answer to their customers, and in this case many of their customers want an answer, me included. It has nothing to do with private servers or laws, but whether or not their opinion about creating their own servers has changed based on what they have now learned.
    Blizzard DID answer their customers... they protected the intellectual property of the game with the cease and desist letter, THEY HAVE answered about creating new servers based on vanilla, and they answer is NO... I am sorry you are unable to accept that answer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Yeah, let's get your brain working, idiot :
    Datamining is also "illegal", yet Blizzard doesn't care if MMO-Champion copy-paste it all over. Why ? Because it doesn't really affect them, because they don't lose money over it.
    Pservers are "illegal" in the same way, and until now Blizzard didn't bother with them - even blue themselves basically said "well, these people who play pservers don't like retail, so it's not like we were losing customers". Now it seems something has changed.
    Nothing has changed... MMO-C has permission to do what they do, So Blizzard leaves them alone... Private servers dont have permission and Blizzard goes after the ones that they deem necessary. Nothing has changed. period.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    They answer to their customers, and in this case many of their customers want an answer, me included. It has nothing to do with private servers or laws, but whether or not their opinion about creating their own servers has changed based on what they have now learned.
    They have answered the question of legacy servers multiple times in the past. If their stance hasn't changed no further comment is needed. You are only ready for the answer you want to hear, aren't you?

10+ Year Old Account
    As others have said, what statement would you expect from them? "We decided to have the Nostralius server shut down for emulating the World of Warcraft servers which is against the ToS and breaches the intellectual property laws involving our software" We know why they shut it down, we know their stance on legacy servers, what more do you expect from them? It is not like they did anything technically wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish they would, if only because it has upset a certain percentage of the community. In any case, I'm not subbed now and not going to sub until Legion - if I feel like it's worth it.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Its their game live with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

No, blizzard has their fingers in their ears and screaming La La La at the tops of their lungs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    They have answered the question of legacy servers multiple times in the past. If their stance hasn't changed no further comment is needed. You are only ready for the answer you want to hear, aren't you?
    The craziest and most unlikely thing ever happened last year, something I didn't even think for a second that they would have introduced before I heard about EVE Online doing it: adding a way for players to buy gold with real money. I mean I've always been 50/50 about whether or not Blizzard would ever give us vanilla servers, but letting players buy gold was the most unlikely scenario imagineable. Several years back, that is.

But things have changed, and things that wouldn't make any sense a couple of years ago are now taken for granted.

RuneScape has successful legacy servers. Final Fantasy has successful legacy servers. EverQuest has successful legacy servers. Even on Steam there's a big demand for older games. gog.com AKA Good Old Games is now a "thing". People want nostalgia, they want vintage. There's now a huge market for it. It wasn't back when people first started asking for vanilla servers, the game wasn't even old enough to justify the creation of vanilla servers in the first place.

Their arguments against vanilla servers are from several years ago and are simply outdated now. And the main argument has always been that there's not enough demand for it. Nostalgia's numbers are insane for a bunch of fans running a 3rd party pirated private server. The petition now has 50k signatures.

People want an answer, their customers want an answer. Not saying anything at all is by far worse than saying no. If they still have their reasons then yes, fine, but if nothing has changed and they are sticking to their old arguments I'd be pretty confused. But it would be better than saying nothing. This forum drama is almost as bad as it was back when they said they'd never introduce flying in WoD nor any future expansions, and the drama made them change their mind.

I honestly doubt Blizz cares about the private servers. But unfortunately, the way IP law works, if they don't enforce their claim/ownership of the WarCraft IP, they risk it being moved to public domain, and losing WarCraft entirely.

As to those calling the private server folks, "greedy cunts" or somesuch, I can only counter with, "they'd pay if Blizz offered it legit." Which I'm sure isn't true for all, but I imagine most.

Let me finally qualify all this: I don't play on private legacy servers. I played through all the old versions, and I'm content to solely go forward. I also don't want legacy servers implemented if their inclusion will cost development resources of the regular game.

There is a lot of talk, so I think it's possible, it will go something like this.

"Running non-authorized servers is against the ToS and US law, we shut it down."

Infractions: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Freshtildeath View Post
    I'f you check their Facebook page, and forums... things seem a bit out of hand, I don't think they anticipated pissing this many people off to the point of Boycott and refunds.
    The game is not in a great state currently, nor is their PR to begin with either, and with the movie looking how it is idk.
    What are some of your thoughts to their strategy?
    I am quite sure they will actually, in one form or another.

I am also quite certain the Mega-Thread about Nostalrius hosted here is being read daily by people from inside Blizzard.

Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street was a very regular reader of MMO Champion back in the day, and I know this for a fact. If Greg Street read MMO Champ daily, other Blizzard staff did too.

The fact that they even tolerate discussion about a Private Server over at the EU forums is unprecedented in and of itself and marks a major shift in Blizzard's stance towards Servers running previous WoW versions.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Deleted
    I don't think it is in Blizzard's interest to start any kind of conservation about it.

There are a lot of very angry people right now and they would only give them a platform to demolish them, verbally.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    It's like me going to Walmart and shoplifting, getting caught and getting angry and boycotting Walmart. It's fucking ridiculous and we're all on the outside watching this train wreck and laughing at you people.
    But in reality it's nothing like that is it....

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    The fact that they even tolerate discussion about a Private Server over at the EU forums is unprecedented
    The EU forums are slow. Lots of stupid crap stays there surprisingly long. Don't draw too many conclusions from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This Just In!

People get pissed when getting caught engaging in illegal activities! More news at 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    But in reality it's nothing like that is it....
    Exactly this, Please stop acting as if it's the same thing, yes they had all right to do it but it does have completely valid counter arguments against blizzard.

"Stealing" in the virtual world is a different and more complicated beast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    Private servers have shown that the old world was still relevant, why would Blizzard not capitalize on this?
    And the answer is simple... if Activision-Blizzard thought there was enough money to be made, they'd do it. The absence of existence of vanilla/progression servers IS their answer.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekofFury View Post
    I honestly doubt Blizz cares about the private servers. But unfortunately, the way IP law works, if they don't enforce their claim/ownership of the WarCraft IP, they risk it being moved to public domain, and losing WarCraft entirely.

As to those calling the private server folks, "greedy cunts" or somesuch, I can only counter with, "they'd pay if Blizz offered it legit." Which I'm sure isn't true for all, but I imagine most.

Let me finally qualify all this: I don't play on private legacy servers. I played through all the old versions, and I'm content to solely go forward. I also don't want legacy servers implemented if their inclusion will cost development resources of the regular game.
    Genuine question here. If IP law is all they care about then why are other private servers allowed to continue?

As for resource being wasted, I think they are doing a pretty good job of spunking a lot of it away in the live game now with multiple difficulties, toys and pet battles....but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    And the answer is simple... if Activision-Blizzard thought there was enough money to be made, they'd do it. The absence of existence of vanilla/progression servers IS their answer.

Straight up denial, you act as if blizzard hasn't done anything stupid at all. They just don't want people preferring the old world over their shitty new WoD one. It's a case of them getting all pouty because people like old content. What kind of message would it send if people played vanilla over current? It would show how incompetent they are at engaging people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Genuine question here. If IP law is all they care about then why are other private servers allowed to continue?

As for resource being wasted, I think they are doing a pretty good job of spunking a lot of it away in the live game now with multiple difficulties, toys and pet battles....but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

A lot of private servers are hosted in different countries such as Russia and they don't care what Blizzard wants and won't listen to any take down notices.