Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

SpaceX did it

Impeach the MF.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just saw, impressed as fuck.

Deleted
    Congratulations to everyone involved in it. This is groundbreaking stuff.

couldnt they have just have had the rocket slow itself in the atmoshpere to parachute to the ocean? seems would be cheaper on fuel then having it try to make an up standing balanced landing. on a tiny platform when it has the rest of the sea around there to make a comfy landing.Kinda like the manned space capsules during re-entry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by walexia View Post
    couldnt they have just have had the rocket slow itself in the atmoshpere to parachute to the ocean? seems would be cheaper on fuel then having it try to make an up standing balanced landing. on a tiny platform when it has the rest of the sea around there to make a comfy landing.Kinda like the manned space capsules during re-entry.
    I don't think you'd want to re-launch a rocket that had been stewing around in sea water for a while.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    GG USA, you`re doing things that no other nation is capable of.

2017 and first manned missioned to ISS can`t come soon enough!

Why wouldn't we want controlled landings? Money isn't everything.

That was amazing. My neighbours may have heard some cheering at a rocket booster in the middle of the night, but it was totally worth it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Why wouldn't we want controlled landings? Money isn't everything.
    No but (fuel) weight is everything in rocket science. Tho i guess they use a parachute for most of the descent and then just the rocket for the last precision bit.

there comes a point where your weight/trust ratio gets to high to reach orbit, so taking more fuel for a landing means less capacity for cargo in the end. But i suppose it's still cheaper/faster to refurbish for the next launch then a sea landing.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-04-08 at 09:58 PM.

I doubt a parachute big enough to successfully land the rocket could be built and, if it could, it would be heavier than the fuel needed to land it.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Money isn't everything.
    Except that this is all about the money - cost saving by not having to build another rocket from scratch... we are just few years away from first stages like that Falcon being returned back to Earth, have inspections done, refueled again and flown again as soon as possible.

On earth, where you could simply have humans re set it up and launch it, or launch a different one sure. But on another planet, not so much. If it has water, that would make it harder if even possible to take off, and if they dont have water they don't have that soft landing. By doing it this way, their rocket could take off again and come back to earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Histidine View Post
    WoW is great.
    Not sure what game people are playing; I love the way things are.
    What bosses will be in the Deathwing Raid?
    Quote Originally Posted by MauroDiogo View Post
    Leg 1, Leg 2, Hind Legs is a duo boss fight, Wings, Tail, Head and last Heroic mode only boss is his Chin. Totally optional and only for those hardcore enough. It's jaw dropping!

Been a good month for Elon Musk.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Elon my nigga.

Deleted
    Thankfully there is at least companies still interested in space exploration, since governments seems to have decided to focus less and less on it.

But yes, good stuff, the future of affordable space travel is looking better by the ... uhm... year I guess xD

Anyone else find it funny that even world changing companies like this still call themselves "SpaceX"

Like thats what I imagine calling something as a 13 year old with zero imagination.

15+ Year Old Account
    Must be an aerodynamical nightmare to get it stand like that on the wrong end and hit that small landing pad on the sea.

I must say, I'm impressed.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Any fancy explaining what the hell this is?

pffft, totally shopped.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    Any fancy explaining what the hell this is?
    A rocket landing from the space to a landing pad floating in the sea.