Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Of course they can. That's why they ban botters, for example.

They will likely get a net plus in subs from shutting down private servers, all the faux outrage notwithstanding.
    I've been surprised at how many people have been posting on the bnet forums about playing on Nost. Do you think Blizz will ban any of them? At this point, I could see Blizz stooping to EQ's gimmick ban server to stop the bleeding.

Most of this thread (like most of the internet) is all nonsense arguing because people are claiming crazy stuff to justify how the feel about things. On the one side you have those claiming Blizzard has no legal right to take down private servers because they wish it were so. On the other, we have the angry current WoW playerbase that wants to believe that Nost is just like private servers from 5+ years ago and all about the free stuff. If you can't figure out that its about the game, then just keep waiting for all those subs to return. This isn't 2010 or even 2014 WoW, they're not coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Yeah they were like, DUAL SPEC. THATLL GET THOSE FUCKERS.

"Oh wait, they asked for dual spec in vanilla? NO NO TAKE IT BACK RUIN THEIR LIVES"
    I never asked for dual spec. I told people to live with it. I never asked for flying mounts, I never asked for anything but an awesome game experience. What I think of as an awesome game experience, they don't offer anymore. It's not the same game as when I first bought it. Regardless of the TOS and their rights. I'm still demanding a product they can give, but are refusing. I will get my fix somewhere else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by emilylorange View Post
    Tell me more about how farting affects your gameplay tho.
    Farting wasn't literal... are you ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Yeah they were like, DUAL SPEC. THATLL GET THOSE FUCKERS.

"Oh wait, they asked for dual spec in vanilla? NO NO TAKE IT BACK RUIN THEIR LIVES"

Edit: Mods I apologize for having fun. It is immature.
    I'm pretty sure you are now exactly as morally reprehensible as someone who's played on a private server, because you said a no-no word.

YOU disgust me. GOOD DAY SIR.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    I don't need to lay out anything for them. The demand is blatantly obvious and they know it, which is why they shut Nostalrius down. Nostalrius main server had 150,000 unique accounts. It was only growing in popularity since it's release. Blizzard's problem is pride and delusion coming from their poor WoW leadership.
    K well I will keep telling you that you have no idea what you're talking about until you tell me the specific costs, licensing fees, hardware costs, advertisement costs, additional faculty needed, etc. And then give me a solid, non-emotion driven estimate of how many people would be willing to pay that is tested in an environment that doesn't attract the people that would bring significant bias to the study.

After that, I might think you have ground to stand on, and even at that point it is a huge risk in an unnecessary time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    I never asked for dual spec. I told people to live with it. I never asked for flying mounts, I never asked for anything but an awesome game experience. What I think of as an awesome game experience, they don't offer anymore. It's not the same game as when I first bought it. Regardless of the TOS and their rights. I'm still demanding a product they can give, but are refusing. I will get my fix somewhere else.
    Cool, you didn't. Sure seemed like a fucking billion other people were begging for it on the forums. Blizzard should cater to you though right. Because reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Now this is one of the funniest comments here. You do realize many of us commenting are against it? Right? Right???!!!
    ofc.

But if Blizzard opened up legacy servers, you realize many of you would be for it, and playing them actively. Right? Right???!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    No one ever claimed there isn't a demand for those. It was just stated that the demand isn't high enough to make it worthwhile.
    A game that changed lives isn't worthwhile.

That makes sense.

Don't worry; we will provide you with the numbers you so desire. Failing that, we're done with Blizzard, a group of people we once loved.

K well I will keep telling you that you have no idea what you're talking about until you tell me the specific costs, licensing fees, hardware costs, advertisement costs, additional faculty needed, etc. And then give me a solid, non-emotion driven estimate of how many people would be willing to pay that is tested in an environment that doesn't attract the people that would bring significant bias to the study.

After that, I might think you have ground to stand on, and even at that point it is a huge risk in an unnecessary time.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, you didn't. Sure seemed like a fucking billion other people were begging for it on the forums. Blizzard should cater to you though right. Because reasons.
    I'd say the same to you. Show me the costs where it's too much to do, and I will shut it.
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Farting wasn't literal... are you ok?
    Are you?

I'm not the one invested in convincing a bunch of strangers that engaging in a pretty massive pirating scheme then complaining when it gets shut down doesn't make me kind of a twit.

I'm not sure why it matters to you that we don't think you're a twit but in your attempts you are unfortunately confirming it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    ofc.

But if Blizzard opened up legacy servers, you realize many of you would be for it, and playing them actively. Right? Right???!!!
    If it came out concurrently with legion it doesn't look like I'd have a choice does it. I don't hate the game.

And in another pipe dream....

ofc.

No, I don't realize it. More like some/few, not many.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Not a lawyer and really don't know. I do know that defense of the IP has to occur now and then against infringement but do not believe that they need to file against everyone infringing for it to still count as defended. Just as every cop running a speed trap will often pick and choose who he goes after. It doesn't invalidate other actions that they don't go after everyone.
    I don't know either. I have had a lawyer explain to me that in a US case (which this is NOT), a company ignoring a known infringer for years on end would weaken any future claims against another party doing the same thing the first infringer was.

This is a french court case I assume and perhaps any people who know the relevant law or laws or precedents might comment?
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Nize View Post
    Everyone that I know that played in these private servers played anywhere from about a week to a month. I think the idea of playing in a vanilla server is more compelling than ACTUALLY playing in a vanilla server.
    That.
    I have seen a lot of my friends who used to play on this server telling me "vanilla is awesome!" then quitting after a while. I played in Vanilla and the strong point in vanilla was the interaction with players, not the content. That's my opinion.
    And good job to Blizzard for closing down this private server. They were no heroes and they didn't do it for the love of their mothers, money was involved I'm sure of it.

I'd say the same to you. Show me the costs where it's too much to do, and I will shut it.
    hahahaahahaha I'm not the one crusading for a server I want to play on. Holy shit you've gotta be on my side saying things like that. You must be the Manchurian candidate for the private server team eh?

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Indicates that they won't do that because of their pride, cataclism was the excuse to destroy old vanilla azeroth because they pursue a "damnatio memoriae" (destroying all the memories of what the game has been), razed southshore, one of the most iconic vanilla places, is the brightest example, they are too proud to admit that old wow was way better than today's shit and act with the arrogance of the ones who know what is fun for YOU and what is not...
    Take off that tinfoil hat, my friend. It's frying your brain...

Are you?

I'm not the one invested in convincing a bunch of strangers that engaging in a pretty massive pirating scheme then complaining when it gets shut down doesn't make me kind of a twit.

I'm not sure why it matters to you that we don't think you're a twit but in your attempts you are unfortunately confirming it.
    Show me how much money Nos made, where it went too, how much used personally, and I will say it was massive. Either Nos was a subset of player unworthy of supplying too or they aren't. You can't have it both ways.

Every insult only grows my dick by an inch. So keep them coming.

ofc.

Define 'actively'.

Because the likelihood is I'd get to 60, recall my spec wasn't really raid viable until T4, and never be seen again.

Is that 'actively'?

hahahaahahaha I'm not the one crusading for a server I want to play on. Holy shit you've gotta be on my side saying things like that. You must be the Manchurian candidate for the private server team eh?
    More than likely.

Define 'actively'.

Because the likelihood is I'd get to 60, recall my spec wasn't really raid viable until T4, and never be seen again.

Is that 'actively'?
    In my case I'd get a shaman to level 6 and be like, do I really have to autoattack for 24 more levels, and promptly quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marakesh View Post
    I've been surprised at how many people have been posting on the bnet forums about playing on Nost. Do you think Blizz will ban any of them?
    No, they will not. The whole point of this was to get Nost closed; not chase down anyone who was playing on it. That said, it's remarkably stupid to post that you were playing Nost on Blizzard's forum. I would think better of them if they banned everyone that said that off the forum entirely but they likely won't. And they certainly won't do an account action that would terminate their game license. It's sport here to think that Blizzard is stupid but they are not. Incompetent at times, yes. Stupid, no.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Show me how much money Nos made, where it went too, how much used personally, and I will say it was massive. Either Nos was a subset of player unworthy of supplying too or they aren't. You can't have it both ways.
    I'm not sure why I have to disprove an argument I never made.

Oh wait, I don't, you're just moving goalposts because admitting you made bad decisions and got caught makes you uncomfortable.

Every insult only grows my dick by an inch. So keep them coming.
    Sure! Why is it so small that you need to ask my help anyway?