Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Truculentt View Post
    you can't pirate what doesnt exist. the code was entirely written from scratch.

they violated copyright law. but it was NOT pirating.

spreading misinformation like that is the reason obama is president.
    They had to copy information, in violation of the TOS, to get the servers to work. It doesn't matter if some of the code was their own, they have created an illegal derivative work.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    It's seemed pretty mixed to me. I don't "hate" them, but I think they're dishonest and I'm not sorry they're being shut down.

you can't pirate what doesnt exist. the code was entirely written from scratch.
    they violated copyright law. but it was NOT pirating.
    Using Blizzard's copyrighted art, music, classes, lore, etc, is not a pirating as well? Or were you playing without using game client?

spreading misinformation like that is the reason obama is president.
    Oh, so you're trump fan? Much benevolence.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    tsk tsk

That's not all they did. They're also handing out the code to others so "their" work can live on. That is not benevolence. They're butthurt and spiteful and we know it.
    I can assure you that any developer who puts THAT MUCH work into something, they just want their work to go to good use. its going to be on github for crying out loud.

granted, at the same time... i want to say "WELL BLIZZ CANT BS ABOUT THE CODE MISSING NOW", but that's not what they did.

not to mention... they explicitly said "assuming we don't receive further communication from blizzard". That's not spiteful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Using Blizzard's copyrighted art, music, classes, lore, etc, is not a pirating as well? Or were you playing without using game client?

Oh, so you're trump fan? Much benevolence.

lol no i am not a Trumpus fan.

those infractions you described would have been committed by the client users. not the server.

7+ Year Old Account
    I understand it a contentious topic, but generally speaking you tend to expect a certain degree of empathy from any average human when they witness a genuinely benevolent group of people suffer some form of agony or emotional pain.

but official forums be like "OMG yes i hope you all die you're worse than the terroriest and all the evil and..."

just... why.
    One word. Schadenfreude, or pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others. People are dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Moral outrage is a descriptive term here. There are Rules that govern society, and these violators are ignoring them for their own personal benefit. Moral outrage is the phenomenon of people reacting negatively to that sort of thing, even when they aren't personally immediately negatively affected.

It's like viewing with scorn someone who doesn't pay his taxes.
    I cant relate since i tend to be an outcast or a rebel. I actually try to avoid taxes like the plague.

none the less, thats a very interesting piece of information which I did not know.

10+ Year Old Account
    not to mention... they explicitly said "assuming we don't receive further communication from blizzard". That's not spiteful.
    It's not benevolent either. They should be careful because if they do so, the next communication they receive from Blizzard may be notice of a civil suit.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    To be fair, private server players often view retail players as some sort of disgusting inferior human for preferring to play live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Why do the people who play on private servers hate people who don't? For instance, in the thread on our forum about Nost being shut down, multiple people were banned for telling retail players that they should kill themselves.

The answer is that people, online, lose any social inhibitions.

This. People disagree with one another in real life and it degenerates pretty quickly. People disagree online and all hell breaks loose almost immediately. As Darth said the same can be said for the opposing side.

those infractions you described would have been committed by the client users. not the server.

The funniest thing here is you keep acting like your civil rights were raped by evil megacorporation, you keep piling ridiculous fallacies ontop of each other, you keep gaming words (not only you you, but this whole private servers "community" people who are spilling tears, salt and shit for third day in a row over MMO-C forums)... while the reality is very simple: illegal stuff is illegal, no matter what. Just like that. If your country bans drugs, make them illegal, should I feel empathy for drug dealers because they delivered drugs to people who find fun in using drugs? Nope. "But OMG, seriously guys, you can't even imagine how many hours those dealers put in their little drug dealing project - and they even made it their second job!!" So what? Illegal is illegal. That's all that matters.

I'd like to ask, though - why do you care about our opinions, opinions of retail players?
    Last edited by l33t; 2016-04-08 at 11:06 PM.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

That's not benevolence, it's stupidity. They've been warned yet they continue to walk the thin line. The next time it could be more than just a warning.

The Nost apologists make it sound as though mean retail people have tracked them down to their private little forums to harass and abuse them and kick them while they're down.

In reality, the apologists have stormed onto the official forums as well as here and elsewhere, made a big public display, gotten pushback for it, and acted like the regular posters who have been here much longer are in the wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercool View Post
    The Nost apologists make it sound as though mean retail people have tracked them down to their private little forums to harass and abuse them and kick them while they're down.

In reality, the apologists have stormed onto the official forums as well as here and elsewhere, made a big public display, gotten pushback for it, and acted like the regular posters who have been here much longer are in the wrong.
    They stormed the forums long before this debacle. Serves them right for advertising a private server on a daily basis on WoW forums and then acting surprised and butthurt when it gets closed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can assure you that any developer who puts THAT MUCH work into something, they just want their work to go to good use. its going to be on github for crying out loud.

granted, at the same time... i want to say "WELL BLIZZ CANT BS ABOUT THE CODE MISSING NOW", but that's not what they did.

- - - Updated - - -

Well first off it is spiteful of them to release the code, because if they truly cared about making a difference they would of kept it under wraps and just told people to go to Blizzard to protest for legacy servers, or at the very least just release the code to the private server community, not the community at large. Also this is not the magical code that Blizzard was missing, in fact it most likely would not work for their hardware at all.

Deleted
    That's not benevolence, it's stupidity. They've been warned yet they continue to walk the thin line. The next time it could be more than just a warning.
    The real stupid part is having servers in france instead of russia/china /whereever else where us law can't touch them. Gotta learn from Hollywood. Just gotta move to a place where the law can't touch you.

Because they feel better about themselves since they pay for the game. They feel the need to degrade those who play on the private servers to feel better about themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    The real stupid part is having servers in france instead of russia/china /whereever else where us law can't touch them. Gotta learn from Hollywood. Just gotta move to a place where the law can't touch you.
    Something tells me these folk ain't the brightest tools in the shed.
    Because they feel better about themselves since they pay for the game.
    I don't pay for it. There goes that theory. I just find enjoyment in stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    Unless they're willing to move to Russia to accomplish this, all moving the servers does is make Blizz unable to target the hosting service.

Deleted
    Something tells me these folk ain't the brightest tools in the shed.
    Someone wrote it's cause classic servers where originally in france. Sounds kinda ridicilous but would fit the nostalgia boner.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZDaZ View Post
    To be fair, private server players often view retail players as some sort of disgusting inferior human for preferring to play live.
    well.. there's a reason for that. anyone who supported the legacy server topic has sorta been the whipping boy of wow since cata, and simply because they were an easy target.

For example - Nostalgia. Blizzard started it. wow forums propagated it.

I cannot express how angry it makes me to hear someone spread that bs.

Its not nostalgia. I genuinely think pre-cata wow was a superior game.

I have my merits, and im sure others have theirs as to why its not. point is, your/my opinion of the game is subjective. When you say the primary motive is nostalgia, you're passively affirming that wow today is objectively better than pre-cata wow. which... completely dismisses the oppositions opinion on a subjective topic.

As someone whos been on the receiving end of the above for years, ITS SOOO INFURIATING.

and once it started, it just kept going....

"mobs in the open world dont hit hard" - NOSTALGIA
    "I hate these talents" - NOSTALGIA
    "an in game cash shop" - NOSTALGIA
    "flying" - NOSTALGIA
    "lore" - NOSTALGIA
    "legion looks like shit" - AFRAID OF CHANGE

I mean.. the list goes on and on.

Those people finally find a place where they can play the game the actually enjoy (instead of half-settling for live) and it gets ripped down...

meanwhile people on official be like "AAAAHAHAHAHAHAA DIE YOU SCUM OF THE EARTH EVIL TERRORIST".

its a lot of stuff coming to a head.