Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't know about that. It would depend on the person and their signs. If you are a Virgo, Leo, Aquarius or Sagittarius you are probably more likely to respond well to positive enforcement of a physical trait or state while say a Cancer or Capricorn would take it personally and fail to improve.

- - - Updated - - -

You also have to take their Ascendant and Midheaven into account since those also have an effect on social pressure.

Really? Astrology? Are you kidding me? It's nothing but bullshit to fool the weak minded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology
    With the onset of the scientific revolution astrology was called into question; it has been challenged successfully both ontheoretical[8]:249;[9] and experimental[10][11] grounds, and has been shown to have no scientific validity[6] or explanatory power Astrology thus lost its academic and theoretical standing, and common belief in astrology has largely declined.[12] Astrology is now recognized to be pseudoscience.[13][14][15][16][17]
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2016-04-08 at 11:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicc View Post
    If you love yourself than you shouldn't ruin your body. Being yourself not equals not giving @h#&t about your health. You can be a cheerful or serious person, prefer science or drama, etc., don't twist the meaning and make it sound like being yourself means you can make a pig of yourself because that is your personality.

I would rather teach overweight people that they look bad so they should fight it and also being healthy would make them feel better in their skin.
    Maybe someone should teach you that you're stupid if you believe someone has to teach fat people that they're living unhealthy as if they wouldn't know that themselves (and shaming people makes things worse as all studies show). So sorry you're either stupid or ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickykong View Post
    So much misinformation in this thread. You can absolutely lose weight by simply eating less. I've been doing it for over a year now with steady progress. You don't need to exercise to be slimmer.
    Yes, you can. The question is whether it is a healthy way to lose weight. Or if you even need to lose weight in the first place. Unless you are severely obese, you absolutely can convert your "dead weight" into healthy muscular weight by exercising and eating healthy. 30 minutes of jogging daily + 40 minutes in gym thrice a week will do miracles to your body without the need to starve and end up looking like a straw.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Koenigstiger View Post
    Maybe someone should teach you that you're stupid if you believe someone has to teach fat people that they're living unhealthy as if they wouldn't know that themselves (and shaming people makes things worse as all studies show). So sorry you're either stupid or ignorant.
    Have you heard about Health at every size? There are people who think being fat is not unhealthy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Yes, you can. The question is whether it is a healthy way to lose weight. Or if you even need to lose weight in the first place. Unless you are severely obese, you absolutely can convert your "dead weight" into healthy muscular weight by exercising and eating healthy. 30 minutes of jogging daily + 40 minutes in gym thrice a week will do miracles to your body without the need to starve and end up looking like a straw.
    Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I know working out is good for you, no doubt about that, but there were some comments a couple of pages ago saying some stuff like if you don't enough it will slow down weight loss, or even cause weight gain. That's what I'm talking about.

No one should base their self-worth on body image. In that regard, we should absolutely be teaching people that they are worthwhile human beings no matter how much they weigh, how many teeth they have, or what color their hair is.

That being said, we should not be pretending that it's ok to be overweight. It should not be put on a pedestal, and fat people who wear little clothing and declare "I'm sexy" should rightfully be scoffed at.

Fat people are still people, and shouldn't be ostracized for their life choices, but they're also fat, and unattractive to the vast majority of the population. No one should be apologetic for not wanting to look at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I know working out is good for you, no doubt about that, but there were some comments a couple of pages ago saying some stuff like if you don't enough it will slow down weight loss, or even cause weight gain. That's what I'm talking about.
    Ah, those claims... Yes, they probably have little to do with reality. There is an opinion that not drinking enough water can slow down weight loss, and I suppose that might be true - but not taking in enough calories definitely isn't going to do anything like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Have you heard about Health at every size? There are people who think being fat is not unhealthy.
    And you think that's representative for the average overweight person? Hint: it's not, in fact it's like the 1%.
    And that is the problem with a big part of the Internet in general and fat shaming groups in specific they can't differentiate.

I think we should teach self-love to everyone, and healthy eating + lifestyle habits. Shaming people into eating less isn't going to work...

Saw a beautiful girl walking home today, she was pretty thick but she had on a gorgeous outfit, pretty face, beautiful shiny healthy hair. I'd hate for anyone to tell that girl that she's ugly and needs to lose a few pounds. And I say that as a thin heterosexual female.

Good habits, healthy eating, exercise, unless you were already doing those things deciding to do them is an act of loving one self. Yelling nasty shit at fat people very rarely makes them get skinny, it quite often makes them double down on bad habits. If the goal is more healthy people then give good advice and encouragement. On the other hand if the goal is to yell at fat people so you feel good that at least youre not fat then by all means yell away.

And you think that's representative for the average overweight person? Hint: it's not, in fact it's like the 1%.
    And that is the problem with a big part of the Internet in general and fat shaming groups in specific they can't differentiate.
    No, I know they don't represent the majority. But you said; "Maybe someone should teach you that you're stupid if you believe someone has to teach fat people that they're living unhealthy as if they wouldn't know that themselves." I'm not saying go in the streets and tell every fat person you see that they're unhealthy, but some people do need to be taught that.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Ugh. See, I'm okay with the idea of having a "plus size" fashion line for clothing. Like, whatever. It's not anyone's place to tell you that you can't look good with some extra weight. When we start pretending that it's healthy, though, that's dangerous. And a straight up lie.
    Actually being mildly overweight has shown to have no relevant effect on health.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-10158229.html
    http://www.prevention.com/weight-los...ng-more-better
    http://qz.com/550527/obesity-paradox...r-your-health/
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-10158229.html

Despite the Obesity Paradox I think that for most of the population, being obese (and not just overweight) is associated with a number of health risks and people who are significantly overweight are more likely to engage in unhealthy lifestyle habits, such as poor eating habits and lack of exercise.

Self esteem is the first step towards self improvement.

Deleted
    No, I know they don't represent the majority. But you said; "Maybe someone should teach you that you're stupid if you believe someone has to teach fat people that they're living unhealthy as if they wouldn't know that themselves." I'm not saying go in the streets and tell every fat person you see that they're unhealthy, but some people do need to be taught that.
    And this highlights all that is wrong when the obesity topic is discussed on the Internet. You and other fat shaming activists are not doing it because high insurance costs or because you want to help other people - you do this because you want to feel better about yourself.

It all boils down to "hey look at me I might smoke (pot) or drink but I'm not fat like these lesser people; let's "teach" them what a good human being should do since they are so stupid and we are so much better haha". And that is a far more drastic problem than the obesity one to begin with.
    Last edited by mmocf9c4bcbfba; 2016-04-09 at 12:17 AM.

And this highlights all that is wrong when the obesity topic is discussed on the Internet. You and other fat shaming activists are not doing it because high insurance costs or because you want to help other people - you do this because you want to feel better about yourself.

It all boils down to "hey look at me I might smoke (pot) or drink but I'm not fat like these lesser people; let's "teach" them what a good human being should do since they are so stupid and we are so much better haha". And that is a far more drastic problem than the obesity one to begin with.
    First of all, I'm not sure what you think it is that I do? I don't do anything. I am definitely not a fat shaming activist. But if I was, my reason for it WOULD BE because I want to help people.

If I were to say that all fat people are stupid and lazy, would you agree that that would be generalizing and most likely not true?

If so, you are a hypocrite.

You're generalizing all "fat shaming activists" yourself. I can assure you that not everyone one of them does it for the same reason.

Overall, I think your reply is funny considering this

Seems you can't differentiate either.

Deleted
    Overall, I think your reply is funny considering this
    Seems you can't differentiate either.
    Health at every size -> all/average overweight person
    fat shaming groups -> members/activists of said group

Can you spot the difference? Also you were the one that said overweight people

need to be taught

Can you spot the difference? Also you were the one that said overweight people
    I said SOME overweight people. Not all. Also

I guess I'm retarded because I have absolutely no idea what you're saying.

I struggle greatly with my weight I think that teaching self-love or confidence might actually give people the push they need to do something about it, rather than give up and assume that they're not worth it.

A lot of people are so demoralized and destroyed that they don't think anything they could ever do would give them any value, and thus don't work on fixing things like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Yes it is wrong.

Self-esteem is destructive when it is unwarranted.
    Jup, to a point where to can spread and destroys other lives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Mankrik View Post
    I struggle greatly with my weight I think that teaching self-love or confidence might actually give people the push they need to do something about it, rather than give up and assume that they're not worth it.

A lot of people are so demoralized and destroyed that they don't think anything they could ever do would give them any value, and thus don't work on fixing things like this.
    It depends how you do it, they way most people do it they teach it's perfectly fine to be obese when it makes them happy. Which is bullshit because there hasn't been a single case in history where being happy for the sole reason of being abase is true.

Deleted
    Not everyone knows that they are very unhealthy. If they know what are they doing, they would probably do it different. They think its just fine, no big deal, but it is. Yet noone ever dares to tell them, because they are not that rude. And that exactly creates the problem. Teach them to love themselves as they are? It is like confirming them their way of life is ok.
    What studies show shaming makes it worse? It is the opposite. If you feel ashamed because of your actions, you will try to avoid doing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicc View Post
    Not everyone knows that they are very unhealthy. If they know what are they doing, they would probably do it different. They think its just fine, no big deal, but it is. Yet noone ever dares to tell them, because they are not that rude. And that exactly creates the problem. Teach them to love themselves as they are? It is like confirming them their way of life is ok.
    What studies show shaming makes it worse? It is the opposite. If you feel ashamed because of your actions, you will try to avoid doing it.
    Must be nice having such a simple world view (and actually believing in it). Like I said either stupid or ignorant.
    Also no one "tells" them?
    Last edited by mmocf9c4bcbfba; 2016-04-14 at 06:30 PM.