Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Used in a way that's not approved by blizzard. Like on a private server.
    Exactly.

Blizzard is anti-fun, the private server was fun, so obviously blizz did not aprove it, it's against their philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    They are going to transfer the servers right? I can keep playing and raiding with my guild in a few days?
    some are migrating to other servers and the rest seems to wait for monday after the sourcecode is released for other groups to start it again. (they are releasing the encrypted playerdata too wich makes deleting your character now a very dumb decision if you wanna continue on another realm.(implying that the data is taken from sunday))

Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    Well vanilla ended with over 7.5 million subs, so 4 sounds accurate
    I think it would be around 10k. I doubt many more would resubscribe for classic servers. But, you're free to prove me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Used in a way that's not approved by blizzard. Like on a private server.
    You have to sign the TOS to be held culpable. So they didn't break the TOS, the stuff is available for free on the website. You don't have to sign or agree anything to DL it. The core operation mechanics isn't Blizzards...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

The main thing is as one fellow friend posted before in this thread is: Vanilla has an expiration date. The player base that will keep playing on legacy servers will be hardcore raiders. They will keep running endgame content (Naxx40) for a couple of months till everyone is geared up, then what? There will be no TBC transition, the players will lose taste and keep quitting. The casuals well... it was proven if you are a casual player in vanilla you wouldn't do much.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    Exactly.

Blizzard is anti-fun, the private server was fun, so obviously blizz did not aprove it, it's against their philosophy.
    The law's a bitch isn't it? Go rob people. It's fun. Make sure to use that as a defence in court aswell. You can't lose.
    You have to sign the TOS to be held culpable. So they didn't break the TOS, the stuff is available for free on the website. You don't have to sign or agree anything to DL it. The core operation mechanics isn't Blizzards...
    Say it with me: copyright laws.

You people are beoynd hope. Holy fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Who cares where they're stored? They still stole it and used it against the law. Are you saying that they're not using art and code at all? How silly.
    1.) They didn't stole any assets from Blizzard, you don't Need this to host a private server
    2.) The server Code is selfmade

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Terms of service isn't the same as copyright infringement. Why do you think Blizzard is legally allowed to take down these pirated servers? Because they're breaking the fucking law.

Using art and code to create a server where people can be siphoned from the legit game is against the law. It's called copyright infringement. Doesn't matter if they do or don't make money off it. Also, their website doesn't have character models and rigs and other things... So, yeah, fucking bullshit on that.

They actually do, you can download all the character mods and such right from the website. When you download the game. The code is server side, the code is entirely written by different people using a different tool and injected into the core.
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

I don't understand why Blizzard are so oppose to the idea of legacy servers in WoW. It made some sense when the game was a role playing game and the world was evolving, but in the current state of retail, the world is mostly empty. And their previous argument that people would get tired of legacy servers quickly doesn't hold up.

And a legacy server doesn't have to get stale. The idea of resets have been tried and tested for over 10 years in Diablo with ladders. Why not do the same with legacy servers? Obviously the cycles have to be longer, but you could have a vanilla server resetting every 18 months. And why stop at vanilla? There are more expansions that could work on legacy servers. When a "season" ends and a server is reset you are offered to transfer your character to the beginning of the next expansion server(s).

We see a huge spike in subscriptions when a new expansion hits. Is that because of the new content? Sure. But I also am a firm believer that it is because of the opportunity of a fresh start. A reset.

If the money is what is stopping Blizzard from doing this, add a separate subscription to this. Something like half of the price of a normal sub. And they want people to at least try the new expansions when they come out. And I understand that. They put a lot of effort into, they don't want to be at a stand still as a company. But require people to have purchased the latest version of the game to play on legacy servers then. Different subscription model, same one-time purchase. I can't see how this isn't a gold mine.

I understand why they close down a server like Nostalrius. They can't set a trend where they don't protect their intellectual property. But now they have seen that the community will play these servers. Just do it.
    Last edited by Nigeldruid; 2016-04-08 at 11:51 PM.

Terms of service isn't the same as copyright infringement. Why do you think Blizzard is legally allowed to take down these pirated servers? Because they're breaking the fucking law.
    Well, the cease and destest is in compliance with the lawsuit and nothing more. It doesn't admit guilt.

Who's talking about servers? Did they illegally use the assets or not?
    No.
    /10char

i think a lot of the offense people are feeling over losing Nostalrius is mainly because they don't want to be told how to have fun... they don't want to be pushed into playing a game they don't enjoy as it is the only version that is being officially provided. not to mention any pleas being met with mostly only cold and dismissive responses by those who are the only ones who can legally provide them.
    Then they can go elsewhere. If they dont like a product, doesnt mean they can steal it and re engineer it to their liking.

Exactly.

Blizzard said: "no, idiots, you don't want to play legacy servers." Nostalrius proved them wrong, so they had to destroy the evidence.

The law's a bitch isn't it? Go rob people. It's fun. Make sure to use that as a defence in court aswell. You can't lose.

Say it with me: copyright laws.

You people are beoynd hope. Holy fuck.
    How is the copyright law broken, exactly?

I think you need to consider that there a lot of things that are fun when you are doing them and not really that fun when someone is doing this to you.
    Theft is one of them - if you go steal a car, you will surely have a lot of fun (unitl you're caught), but if someone steals your car, I'm not so sure you will enjoy the fact that someone else is having fun because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    1.) They didn't stole any assets from Blizzard, you don't Need this to host a private server
    Using my art without my permission is copyright infringement. Do you know what that means? It means at the minimum I can send you a cease and desist to stop you from using it, and at maximum I can sue your ass for everything you own and everything you will eventually own.

Who's talking about servers? Did they illegally use the assets or not?
    Yes they did. And got shut down.

Actions -> consequences.

Tell me. What was the name of the game they were playing on the server.

No.
    /10char
    Beyond hope.