Poll: What should I feel?

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Feeding human food to a dog, food not meant for the dog, is a waste, people who think otherwise, are wrong.
    Pretty much this.

Take then into account that a lot of people also skimp on the dog food to begin with, buying food with lots of grains and shit added to it as filler, and it's very easy to see why so many dogs are overweight. Humans feed them their "food" every time it's out of the fridge, and then they add shitty kibble with low nutritinal value and bam, fat dog with a lower life expectancy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beggars don't get to be choosers.

Especially 16 yr old beggars.

Deleted
    I guess it's his right to but with all due respect your dad sounds like he's having a mental breakdown.

1. Stop what you're doing
    2. Ask yourself why you're upset
    3. You're upset because cheese
    4. Realize thats dumb
    5. Stop being upset

Or as you did

1. Get angry over cheese
    2. Get into an argument with your dad over cheese
    3. Consult the internet machine to decide who is right on this great cheese debate

Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    I guess it's his right to but with all due respect your dad sounds like he's having a mental breakdown.
    How in the hell do you reach that conclusion?

My takeaway from this thread is that the OP is a bit entitled/spoiled/irresponsible and that the OP's dad fed the dog his cottage cheese in order to teach him a lesson about something. The OP "just happened" to come across his dad right as he was scooping his cottage cheese into the dog's food bowl, the smile as a response confirms to me that his dad was trying to teach him a lesson about either remembering to feed the dog or not eating other people's food.

Again, perplexed, I pressed the issue, and of course I am made out to be the bad guy because "it's his house and I've eaten his groceries before" ... we all eat each others groceries. And we all replace them. Every time.
    Relevant part of the OP's post. Something tells me that the OP is not as good about "replacing food" as he claims to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Etrayu View Post
    1. Stop what you're doing
    2. Ask yourself why you're upset
    3. You're upset because cheese
    4. Realize thats dumb
    5. Stop being upset

Or as you did

1. Get angry over cheese
    2. Get into an argument with your dad over cheese
    3. Consult the internet machine to decide who is right on this great cheese debate
    When a person does not know how to feel about a situation, it is best to do a poll from random people on a gaming message board. Because this place is just filled with the best and most trustworthy people ever.

That's so bizarre, and frankly so are the results of the poll.
    Why would he feed your food to a dog instead of dog food?
    Why do people think this is totally fine?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    He had to have been suffering some kind of mental break to be feeding a dog cottage cheese, further evidence from the presumably deranged silent stare he gave when confronted. there's literally no other rational explanation, he's gone off the deep end.

He had to have been suffering some kind of mental break to be feeding a dog cottage cheese, further evidence from the presumably deranged silent stare he gave when confronted. there's literally no other rational explanation, he's gone off the deep end.
    Yeah because he couldn't be mad at the OP about anything relevant...cottage cheese is not a terrible treat for a dog, as long as the dog is not lactose intolerant.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    If the dog is not lactose intolerant there is no reason to avoid giving a dog dairy, also different dairy products have various amounts of lactose in them. Problems really only exist when dogs are given the wrong types of people food (grapes, chocolate, etc), or are given too much people food, which can create vitamin deficiencies if it's the wrong type of food that is given consistently. Or cause weight gain. Remember that dogs became domesticated because they were scavengers who befriended humans who gave them their HUMAN FOOD scraps. Their food tolerances have evolved to reflect this.

Low-quality dog food is basically corn. "Human food" is oftentimes superior to many dog food brands and there is no need to avoid giving dogs human food entirely, but as the average person does not know how to meet a dog's vitamin and mineral needs (unless they are super dedicated and do an extensive amount of research) and most quality dog foods are balanced around this nutrition, human food is better left as an occasional treat.
    There's every reason to avoid feeding the dog extra sources of calories on top of the proper food that it should be eating every day. The only milk that has benefits without most of the backsides of cow's milk for dogs, would be goat milk...and there's still nothing in it that the dog can't get through better (and natural) sources.

I feed dogs raw diet, the dogs are so healthy on it that there's no need to experiment with man-made products like dairy, grains or pre-packaged "food". Treats come in the form of natural items such as raw bones and home-made liver snacks, NOT dairy which adds sugars and high fat contents for no benefit compared to what they already eat.

Someone with a detailed knowledge of his or her dogs caloric intake every day and what nutrients it's getting and if it has any allergies, could feed the dog a "treat" in the form of cottage cheese... I just struggle to think of anyone I know that owns dogs that would opt for dairy as a treat instead of something that's better for the dog, and lasts longer...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-04-09 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auberdeen View Post
    fed groceries to the dog...
    Commercial dog food didn't exist until the 1890's and wasn't widely produced until the 1960's. Want to guess what dogs ate before that? That's right groceries.

As far as I see it OP you have three options;

1) Suck it up and move on.
    2) Spend your hard earned money on a mini fridge to keep "your groceries" in.
    3) Move the hell out and decide what rules you want to make for yourself.

He fed the dog some cheese, he didn't toss it in the garbage or literally fuck it right in front of you. Grow the hell up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Love to know that too. "Oh my God, my dad fed my dog some cheese, he's clearly insane!"

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how old you are but I'll assume 20's. When young adults live at home in their 20's there's this silent conflict with parents thinking they've failed as parents, along with selfish anger that they are being taken advantage of by kids that should be supporting themselves by then. And so that quietly can build over time, and it starts to manifest itself in sometimes what seem like strange ways. But it's really more your dad's way of expressing his frustration over you living there. For you and him it was over something as silly as cottage cheese. But that's how it goes when there is conflict building between 2 people, and usually it's something silly that lights the fuse. And it's only likely to get worse, with more frequent and stronger arguments until you get out on your own.

Or if you're 16, then he was just being a jerk and might be having a mental breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    There's every reason to avoid feeding the dog extra sources of calories on top of the proper food that it should be eating every day. The only milk that has benefits without most of the backsides of cow's milk for dogs, would be goat milk...and there's still nothing in it that the dog can't get through better (and natural) sources.

I feed dogs raw diet, the dogs are so healthy on it that there's no need to experiment with man-made products like dairy, grains or pre-packaged "food". Treats come in the form of natural items such as raw bones and home-made liver snacks, NOT dairy which adds sugars and high fat contents for no benefit compared to what they already eat.
    Ah you buy into the raw food fad. Welp, not much to say here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Commercial dog food didn't exist until the 1890's and wasn't widely produced until the 1960's. Want to guess what dogs ate before that? That's right groceries.
    Exactly.

Off-topic but look up the diets of some of the world's longest-living dogs, there is a lot of variability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    You're more than welcome to move out if you can't follow the owner's rules over fucking cheese. Seriously grow up, this is nothing to get mad over.
    It surprises me how many people are under the impression that you somehow owe your parents anything. It's very American, the whole 'my house' thing. The 'owners' rules? It's his fucking dad. He chose to have a kid, kids don't choose to be born.

best way to settle this is with a good 'ol fashioned pissing contest

Ah you buy into the raw food fad. Welp, not much to say here.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly.

Off-topic but look up the diets of some of the world's longest-living dogs, there is a lot of variability.
    It's not a fad, it's a wish to provide dogs with the healthiest food they can get and keeping a good track of what is fed to the dog. The "they ate groceries"-trope is the lazy man's out, especially considering how what can be considered "groceries" has changed from the 19th century or even just from the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    It's not a fad, it's a wish to provide dogs with the healthiest food they can get and keeping a good track of what is fed to the dog. The "they ate groceries"-trope is the lazy man's out.
    There is no and I mean NO science to back up the claim that dogs fed a raw diet live longer lives than dogs fed other diets.

If you have said research papers to back up your claim I'd be happy to read them, I have access to an academic search engine and relevant journals.

There is no and I mean NO science to back up the claim that dogs fed a raw diet live longer lives than dogs fed other diets.

If you have said research papers to back up your claim I'd be happy to read them, I have access to an academic search engine and relevant journals.
    I'd really love to see the research papers proving that it doesn't. There's, as with anything new, theories against it (especially from commercial dog food manufacturers) but I'm certain that in just 10 more years it'll have more studies made on the subject.

Most studies right now, are about the bacteria, attacking factors that actually come down to common care when handling raw meats, and not whether it's actually healthy or unhealthy for dogs. Anecdotal evidence so far hasn't been "dogs are doing horribly on natural food!!" though and especially here in Europe, it's gaining a LOT of traction not because "it's a fad" but because people are actually seeing the benefits. As with everything else (like Pizza being a vegetable), those with interests in the dog food business probably want to discredit anything that doesn't involve their products being held as the best option. Just as the dog food industry once spent massive resources on getting people to feed dogs nothing BUT the packaged dog food(Link)...

I might add that I'm not fanatical and am fully aware that dogs can live healthy, long lives on GOOD kibble with as few additives as possible and scraps from human plates consisting of proper food... But alas, most cases when people feed dogs human food, it's prepackaged garbage that's already not very good to humans compared to the real deal and we're seeing a rise in overweight dogs for reasons (relating both to lack of exercise AND food).

MY dogs and every dog I know/have known who's owners switched diet, have been the healthiest on a balanced raw food diet however, not on kibble with added dairy and other products made for humans. One dog was sentenced to die at the age of 10, but lived 3 more years healthy and happy thanks to a switch in diet. And he didn't eat shite kibble/bad foods to begin with, on the contrary, he ate the stuff that vets and experts swore by.

If that's a "fad", then it's a "fad" that's actually doing wonders for the dogs around me, even those that vets had given up on due to their allergies. New findings and theories always meet resistance, always have and always will.

The dog owners I know tend to link this whenever they're attacked by the "it's a fad!"-people, I guess I can do the same:

http://rawfed.com/myths/research.html

And: Dr Becker talk about raw food part 1

But as for concrete scientific studies on the benefits of a raw, natural diet for dogs, that'll take a while longer, for reasons stated in the text I linked... it would be quite odd if, when it's done, it concluded "No, natural foods are bad for our dogs!!" though...there was actually a time when it was recommended that dogs were not fed meat, since they needed to be "civilized" which influenced pet food industry for a long time....times change!
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-04-09 at 05:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP, the courts (not actual legal court) would rule against you.

You said that you guys each others food, right? I'm sure you've eaten his groceries, maybe even wasted them at times (not on purpose). Its his house - which means his votes/opinions are worth more when it comes to house related issues. May sound harsh but its fair since he has more equity in all of this. I would say it was a dick move, maybe he had a reason behind his madness. You have the right to be mad but only so mad, considering how you said groceries are shared and whatnot. Perhaps say "No one touch my cheese" next time. As long as its just the cheese and you don't have any other beefs/infractions against you, most people would respect that.

TLDR: Both poll options.

Resident Cosplay Progressive