Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Adunai View Post
    These forums give me cancer. "Lots of them" amounts to two. ScapeGaming and Nostalrius. Even though there is at least a dozen of others.
    It's sad because ScapeGaming DESERVED it. I mean the skank that owned it had like, what, $3m in her paypal account? Charging people to level up in game etc.
    Nost did none of that. All they did was provide a place for thousands of people to enjoy vanilla wow. (I know I know it's still illegal blah blah)

Quote Originally Posted by Supercool View Post
    Also MOST private servers (Nost being a rare exception) are modded to hell.
    Actually, custom private servers amount to something like 5% of the market. Others are all vanilla, TBC, WotLK, Cata, MoP or WoD. So stop spreading misinformation here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    It's sad because ScapeGaming DESERVED it. I mean the skank that owned it had like, what, $3m in her paypal account? Charging people to level up in game etc.
    Nost did none of that. All they did was provide a place for thousands of people to enjoy vanilla wow. (I know I know it's still illegal blah blah)
    It's not illegal in Russia or Sweden or Hungary. Nost devs literally asked for it when they hosted in France. Shady as hell.
    The Sin'dorei reign supreme! © Grand Astromancer Capernian

It all comes down to everyone on the Internet (including you and I) is a terrible person.

People like to White Knight for brownie points, even if they really don't care at all about the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Adunai View Post

It's not illegal in Russia or Sweden or Hungary. Nost devs literally asked for it when they hosted in France. Shady as hell.
    iirc, a Cata server called Atlantiss is hosted in Sweden and they've received C&D letters from lawyers, they just choose to ignore them lmao.
    Anyways, it's universally known really that rarely any server hosted in EU gets touched, that's why this is such a shock that Nost got shut down. I reckon a LOT of servers are now going to move their hosts over to Russia or something..

Would you appreciate it if, for example... you were attending an AA meeting, then drunkards show up and tell them AA attendees how they enjoy drinking still ?

Quote Originally Posted by sith View Post
    People like to White Knight for brownie points, even if they really don't care at all about the subject.
    Actually Blizzard sends me a check in mail. You should try this, it's quite lucrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Truculentt View Post
    I understand it a contentious topic, but generally speaking you tend to expect a certain degree of empathy from any average human when they witness a genuinely benevolent group of people suffer some form of agony or emotional pain.

but official forums be like "OMG yes i hope you all die you're worse than the terroriest and all the evil and..."

just... why.
    They simply do not understand the pain of having to uninstall World of Warcraft Classic. April 10th 2016: Never forget.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    It's really hard to feel bad for or have sympathy for people that illegally played on a private server and/or condone illegal activity like creating and hosting private servers. The thing is, for most of us, it isn't "hate" for them, it's simply a nod to crime being punished as it should be.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Deleted
    Because most users are clueless about piracy and copyright.

Both sides are as bad as each other. The thread here had people from Nost telling them to kill themselves yet people said it had a "sense of community and was like vanilla". And the people on the other side are just as bad ripping into the Nost people like they are Blizzards hound dogs. Both sides are atrocious because of anonymity.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-04-09 at 03:16 AM.

Forget about the legalities for a moment. It's disrespectful and rude to discuss a pirate version of a game on the official forums of the legit version of the game. No different than disrespecting someone in their own house. This shouldn't be lost on anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by darklady View Post
    Forget about the legalities for a moment. It's disrespectful and rude to discuss a pirate version of a game on the official forums of the legit version of the game. No different than disrespecting someone in their own house. This shouldn't be lost on anyone.
    That's a good point. Discussing Nost under Blizzard's own roof does show a certain disregard for context.

I don't hate the private servers, I mean they're just machines forced to do what their pirates tell them to. The pirates though, I hope they have a very bad life.

Quote Originally Posted by Truculentt View Post
    you can't pirate what doesnt exist. the code was entirely written from scratch.

they violated copyright law. but it was NOT pirating.

spreading misinformation like that is the reason obama is president.
    It appears that you're the one that doesn't understand what pirating is.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Deleted
    So many hypocrites around... Everyone trying to bring the whole "ohh, it's pirating, that's bad", while prolly 100% of everyone saying it has pirated a movie, a song or a game. If people wanna play vanilla servers, let em and if people don't, then don't?

Deleted
    Because its taking away players from the game community. Also, a company like blizzard has the right to defend their properties.

Because people with small minds and a coolaid dependency can't grasp that WOD isn't the sliced bread of mmorpgs so they respond the only way they can, with hate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovbiff View Post
    So many hypocrites around... Everyone trying to bring the whole "ohh, it's pirating, that's bad", while prolly 100% of everyone saying it has pirated a movie, a song or a game. If people wanna play vanilla servers, let em and if people don't, then don't?
    Oh they are free to do so, there are hundreds of servers, but maybe next time they should keep quiet about it? Right now it is like sending the movie studio a letter about how you pirated their movie and you think it was better before the editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Why do the people who play on private servers hate people who don't? For instance, in the thread on our forum about Nost being shut down, multiple people were banned for telling retail players that they should kill themselves.

The answer is that people, online, lose any social inhibitions.
    Agreed.

And more so on on topic: The difference is that we do miss vanilla WoW, without a doubt. However, I dont want development funds to go in to creating an inferior world. I'd rather see Azeroth progressing and maybe see them rework the cataclysm maps again to reflect what the world looks like now rather than an illusion of the past.