Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Quite the opposite, career and money is the limiter on how many kids one can afford to have. Remove those and the only limit is personal preference. I predict a baby boom for the times when you don't need to get to work each day and basic necessities are free.

- - - Updated - - -

People don't have to be occupied any more than they need. Just because you don't need to have a job doesn't mean there's nothing to do so you have to have a job... you don't, you can have hobbies.
    Just look at teens that have a lot of time in their... eh.. teenage years. They aren't doing anything productive in general (most anyway).
    If there is no prospect for them after their school years, they will continue the habit.

Just my personal opinion of course, but it would be a tad naive to expect anything diferent from humans :-)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The notion that robots will replace all of our jobs is really stupid. There are a lot of reasons why many jobs won't vanish due to robots.
    Many jobs won't, a lot if not most will. Did you give it more than 2 seconds of thought?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    They could make a law , something like "you can only have a robot for every 10 human employees" , sure the 11th human employee gets fired , but instead of a factory of 55 to get fired only 5 get shafted which could go either way : 1 . robot made 5 people lose their job . Or if the robots are so great and good performance the company might want more thus hire more human workers , in a different field most likely so 2. Robots gave 10 people a job .
    You are literally making a law to be less efficient, productive and all together to fuck over natural progression. It won't happen.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Just look at teens that have a lot of time in their... eh.. teenage years. They aren't doing anything productive in general (most anyway).
    If there is no prospect for them after their school years, they will continue the habit.

Just my personal opinion of course, but it would be a tad naive to expect anything diferent from humans :-)
    You say it's your opinion, but then generalize it on all humans.

You are looking at it in current paradigm. Where one have to work hard to achieve status and security, to be productive. Teens are the fine example of how it SHOULD be for happy humans. They aren't burdened yet with "mature" norm, they don't need to be productive, and the only reason they are expected to - is the reality we are living in. We all will be like them when we are relieved of our job commitments and do not need to be productive at all. Some of us will be productive but out of our own volition not because of the money-whip.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem there is that prospect includes both a lack of opportunities and a lack of resources to make their own opportunities.

How many teens make videos in the hopes of becoming the next Youtube sensation? How of them people put their drawings/paintings/sculpture/writings/etc. on such sites in hopes of acclaim? Or form bands or play on non-professional sports teams? Or write software/games. Or play those games competitively.

You're telling me they wouldn't happily do those things full-time if they had enough steady money to do those things and maintain their monetary needs?
    Last edited by Masark; 2016-04-09 at 09:22 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    Pretty sure by that point education would have to cost nothing if you are telling people that if they don't get an education they die.
    You're not familiar with America are you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    The problem there is that prospect includes both a lack of opportunities and a lack of resources to make their own opportunities.

How many teens make videos in the hopes of becoming the next Youtube sensation? How of them people put their drawings/paintings/sculpture/writings/etc. on such sites in hopes of acclaim? Or form bands or play on non-professional sports teams? Or write software/games. Or play those games competitively.

You're telling me they wouldn't happily do those things full-time if they had enough steady money to do those things and maintain their monetary needs?
    The world can't run on youtubers, designers, artists and musicians alone

We need people to do difficult and often not-fun jobs too - sanitation, forestry, industrial, energy/mining/drilling, etc - how do you propose we encourage people to do those

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Yeah, I know. There's plenty of other benefits I'm sure.

But it would certainly be in society's interest to not simply let millions of people do nothing. Even if you have to make up some ridicilous jobs that serve miniscule purpose, it'd still be better.
    Yeah, and I am sure people like you who are all hot air and nothing else would step up to pay for those jobs.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    The UK is already on course to be "handing out" roughly the same amount of money in terms of benefits or tax breaks anyway across income groups. Universal income would be administratively much cheaper to manage.

http://www.fabians.org.uk/all-in-this-together/
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2016-04-09 at 11:23 AM.

That's just a sponsored ad for the venus project and we all know it wouldn't actually end that way. :P

fairly certain anyone in a sales position will be safe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    We need people to do difficult and often not-fun jobs too - sanitation, forestry, industrial, energy/mining/drilling, etc - how do you propose we encourage people to do those
    Why are you presuming we need people to do those and they don't fall into the "robots took our jobs" category?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    fairly certain anyone in a sales position will be safe
    You might have noticed, unless you're constantly browsing incognito that the banner adds you see all over the internet can pretty much read your mind half the time. That's because of Google's AI reading your browsing habits and then trying to sell you shit that it knows you want.

It knows what you want whether you admit that it's what you want. And that's the 2016 version of it. Give it 5 or 10 more years of refinement and it will pretty much be ready to replace the need for human intervention in marketing.

The only human sales position that is likely to keep existing for a while is some minimum wage bloke poking around a dusty warehouse to find people's online purchases, since object recognition is fairly difficult for computers. So either a human will have to select the objects, or affix identification labels to said objects so AI can.

But this one guy will replace thousands of retail employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    You might have noticed, unless you're constantly browsing incognito that the banner adds you see all over the internet can pretty much read your mind half the time. That's because of Google's AI reading your browsing habits and then trying to sell you shit that it knows you want.

It knows what you want whether you admit that it's what you want. And that's the 2016 version of it. Give it 5 or 10 more years of refinement and it will pretty much be ready to replace the need for human intervention in marketing.

The only human sales position that is likely to keep existing for a while is some minimum wage bloke poking around a dusty warehouse to find people's online purchases, since object recognition is fairly difficult for computers. So either a human will have to select the objects, or affix identification labels to said objects so AI can.

was thinking more in the region of field sales/marketing really. i don't think it could be done by something without emotions.

i adblock tho, so im scum

but maybe i'm naive. i hope not. i earn so much in sales right now i really wouldn't want to lose that privilege.

I don't think it will be as dramatic as people are trying to make this out to be.

was thinking more in the region of field sales/marketing really. i don't think it could be done by something without emotions.

i adblock tho, so im scum

but maybe i'm naive. i hope not. i earn so much in sales right now i really wouldn't want to lose that privilege.
    It could be done better without emotions.

"I have a gut feeling that this product will do well." Happens all the time, products flop all the time.

vs

"Me robot, I know exactly what consumers are searching for, I know everything about market trends, I can instantaneously calculate the economic feasibility of a product, and I can replace an entire marketing firm with 5 software engineers".

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's a contradiction.
    sales/marketing "people" are not even humans. They are monsters who feel nothing.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    That's a contradiction.
    sales/marketing "people" are not even humans. They are monsters who feel nothing.
    maybe i should've been truthful..

sales/marketing individuals are great at lying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    I don't think it will be as dramatic as people are trying to make this out to be.
    This. It's been a process that's been ongoing for decades, as jobs have been replaced by robots; so new jobs have been created. Very often, robots made things cheap and easy enough to mass produce, like say a smartphone or a car, or whatever to a point that everyone can have one; then so demand for those products increases as the price comes down; but then the associated service and maintenance demands and in turn jobs in those sectors to handle the products in circulation increase as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Not necessarily, if production levels are saturating the market, then customer service is the place you can excel, and that can be a real deal breaker. Most people like to deal with a human being - especially if there's a problem.

I don't know if that's true, considering there'll be transitional periods. Drones need operators.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Deleted

I dont think you can compare a juvenile being who knows no hardship or struggle to live compared to an adult who experiences those things + sense of decay called aging. Those things do affect on how a given being think. Do you honestly expect a young kid provided with shelter, food who only beings to learn how this world works to suddenly stop in his track and think "Oh shit! I need to learn a trade ASAP".