Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Yeah I'm sure some of them were limited time accounts, played for a few mins and realized nostalgia isn't quite that awesome the 2nd time around and stopped. Hell some of them might have played for a bit, saw how awful the exp grind is and stopped. Who knows.

What I DO know is that Vanilla servers on live would be fucking easy mode. Mods are WAY WAY more advanced in the early days with some exceptions. Back in Vanilla Decursive and other mods would just auto remove curses from people as you spammed a button (that was fixed perhaps midway through Vanilla?). But the amount of knowledge people have through fansites such as wowhead/curse addons would trivialize many aspects of the game.

And god don't get me started on how F U N it would be to go back to 40 man raiding and listening to your tanks bitch about not doing anything til 3 sunders are on the mob or switching into resist gear so trashes/bosses can take 3 years to down. Most raids back then wouldn't offer any real challenges to players familiar with current abilities on bosses. Perhaps things would be different if it was a TBC/WotLK PS but we're talking vanilla.
    Correct, a lot of raid strats, especially Naxx were secret. Part of the magic of vanilla was not knowing shit. We're in the age of data mining and advanced adoons to trivialize stuff vanilla. Not to mention, your progress used to be gated on getting good drops in raids. (Ie Thunderfury for Patchwerk).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    The server itself doesn't use anything from Blizzard it's just emulating. You know like emulators are not illegal but using pirated games with them is. And this causes a lot of discussion wheter it's illegal or not to use WoW client if you paid for it but we don't really pay for the game we pay for the service and in that case it is illegal.

- - - Updated - - -

And I should also mention that hosting a private server for private purposes is okay but you are not allowed to open it for public.
    yeah.. I asked someone why it would not be illegal, because that person said that nost was fair and legal. (which it isn't)

Deleted
    The server itself doesn't use anything from Blizzard it's just emulating. You know like emulators are not illegal but using pirated games with them is. And this causes a lot of discussion wheter it's illegal or not to use WoW client if you paid for it but we don't really pay for the game we pay for the service and in that case it is illegal.
    In order for the server to be able to work properly, the local database and maps are extracted from the World of Warcraft game files and used by the server. I'd recon it has to do with verifying data, so a player can not remove a tree and walk right through it etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    most porpoably a lot of them seeing how out of 800k people who logged in over 1 year 650k do not log anymore showing how terrible retention there is
    Nost was also free. I'd say free games have more try and quit. Blizzard doesn't give subs anymore and never gave total sales so we can't even compare it.

Quote Originally Posted by dexodar View Post
    If it was trademark issue, they'd simply removed any mention of Blizzard trademark terms from their site and be done with it.

Do you have any clue what you are talking about? Trademarks cover everything in game.
    So using its graphics, names for npc's, cities , continents, raids, raid bosses etc... Using all of that is infringing on wow's trademark.
    You can grasp that right? So everything about the private server is illegal. Add in any money being made off it and it is even worse

Didn't find out about Nostralius till ~2 weeks ago. I decided to try it out I haven't had that much fun in wow for years. Its sad that its being shut down and as everyone has said blizzard has the right. Now that I got a tast of something from 10 years ago it just made me want official vanilla even more. In the age of recycled games where every system has backwards compatibility why not have Legacy realms?

People have been spewing excuses/reasons why its no feasible but only blizzard knows that and they have giving their answer. The answer is NO for now. Re-doing vanilla with all the current art assets with a few quality of life changes(ui, summon stones, few extra flight paths) would be amazing while keeping what made vanilla, vanilla.

Still holding out for Warcraft 3 HD and remastered as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    Didn't find out about Nostralius till ~2 weeks ago. I decided to try it out I haven't had that much fun in wow for years. Its sad that its being shut down and as everyone has said blizzard has the right. Now that I got a tast of something from 10 years ago it just made me want official vanilla even more. In the age of recycled games where every system has backwards compatibility why not have Legacy realms?

People have been spewing excuses/reasons why its no feasible but only blizzard knows that and they have giving their answer. The answer is NO for now. Re-doing vanilla with all the current art assets with a few quality of life changes(ui, summon stones, few extra flight paths) would be amazing while keeping what made vanilla, vanilla.

Still holding out for Warcraft 3 HD and remastered as well!
    Maybe answer is no, because they want their planned WoW2 to be vanilla year 2020 remake? :O or something similar.. who knows..

- - - Updated - - -

But for me, Cataclysm was nice Vanilla 2.0 expansion! Those bosses.. ah, listen that login screen music! Damn, Cata was helluva good

I dont understand the arguments about "but people pirate music and movies too!" sure they do but people dont go around and cry about it when they get caught by Sony/Warner....

I mean who in their right mind makes a character on a private server expecting it to last a significant amount of time ?, deep down below in your mind you knew that something like this was coming sooner or later.
    Last edited by Lorianus; 2016-04-09 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorianus View Post
    I dont understand the arguments about "but people pirate music and movies too!"
    It's called psychological projection.

- - - Updated - - -

And I should also mention that hosting a private server for private purposes is okay but you are not allowed to open it for public.
    So you are saying that the client you had to download to play on this server didn't contain any Blizzard copyrighted material?
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

- - - Updated - - -

Uhm the client? Surely you aren't suggesting that it doesn't contain any Blizzard copyrighted assets/materials?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    That's the host company...not Nos who agreed to shut down nos so that the law doesn't bother them.
    So? the question was if someone profits from the nos server and I just proved you that someone did.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    So you are saying that the client you had to download to play on this server didn't contain any Blizzard copyrighted material?
    You did not have to download anything, you could use your old vanilla installation and Nostalrius did not provide a download.

The server was like a private road that only allowed 1965 buick Rivieras to drive on it, your vanilla installation was like your own car. Does the guy providing the private road steal from General Motors?
    At the end of the day it comes down to Blizzard having way more money for lawyers and beeing ruthless. You could fight it, but even if you win, it would be a pyrrhic victory, at best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    Do you have any clue what you are talking about?
    I do. You clearly don't.

Trademarks cover everything in game. So using its graphics, names for npc's, cities , continents, raids, raid bosses etc... Using all of that is infringing on wow's trademark.
    Those are covered by copyright, not trademark.

Quote Originally Posted by xxxDkDkxxx View Post
    Yeah, I've seen the numbers. Nice numbers.
    And it shows there's some interest.

But that's all it says.
    Their situation doesn't really translate very well into a commercial service business plan.

But we'll see. Maybe they will one day. The commerical part of WoW hasn't exactly been received very well with WoD. If Legion tanks the same way, I think they might be open to new suggestions and ideas.
    This is why i disagree with the attitude some people you included show towards us players that played on Nost.

We do not doubt blizzard has every right to shut down servers as nostalrius. Its their right, its their game, its their product and they can do whatever they want with it. From a legal pov they can shut down retail today and there isnt a thing we can do about it.

But we as players and community should fight and ask for things that can improve our quality of life and options as gamers.

You do not want to play older versions of the game you said thats absolutely fine, respectactable and acceptable. WoW retail is still a very good game the best MMO available on the market and by far.

Can you be certain though that in the future this isnt going to change? What if 2-3 years from now you feel a bit of nostalgic also and start missing some things older versions of the game provided? Wouldnt it be nice then for all of us to have those alternatives available through legal means and with official Blizzard endorsement and support?

We are all funs of Blizzard people that play on retail and people that play on private servers. Its their game we loved and enjoyed playing and we all wanna keep doing it. We shouldnt be split and separated flaming each other on issues like vanilla realms.

No matter how someone feels about Nostalrius being shut down we lose absolutely nothing by having them available to us no matter what we choose to play.
    Last edited by MarizzaDraenor; 2016-04-09 at 02:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Oh haha, I wasn't saying I didn't believe it existed. I was just counting the seconds until someone claimed it was a troll petition to prove a point.
    Thats what I said from the start, as you can take your phonebook and just type it in there....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    From Nostalrius' petition to Blizzard, c/o Michael Morhaime: I rest my case.
    And your point was? apart from one dude, claiming to be more then one guy and tyxping as much text as possible in there?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Karenai View Post
    The server was like a private road that only allowed 1965 buick Rivieras to drive on it, your vanilla installation was like your own car. Does the guy providing the private road steal from General Motors?
    Your clearly didnt read the TOS, your game installation is NOT your car, but a borrowed car your allowed to drive as long as you pay.

Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    But we as players and community should fight and ask for things that can improve our quality of life and options as gamers.

We are all funs of Blizzard people that play on retail and people that play on private servers. Its their game we loved and enjoyed playing and we all wanna keep doing it. We shouldnt be split and separated flaming each other on issues like vanilla realms.
    Woah woah woah slow the hell down. My quality of life in WoW is N O T being improved by some people playing vanilla on a Private Server. We are fans of Blizzard on retail servers, period. Like I give a flying fuck about people on private servers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    This is why i disagree with the attitude some people you included show towards us players that played on Nost.

We do not doubt blizzard has every right to shut down servers as nostalrius. Its their right, its their game, its their product and they can do whatever they want with it. From a legal pov they can shut down retail today and there isnt a thing we can do about it.

You do not want to play older versions of the game you said thats absolutely fine, respectactable and acceptable. WoW retail is still a very good game the best MMO available on the market and by far.

Can you be certain though that in future this isnt going to change? What if 2-3 years from now you feel a bit of nostalgic also and start missing some things older versions of the game provided? Wouldnt it be nice then for all of us to have those alternatives available through legal means and with official Blizzard endorsement and support?

We lose absolutely nothing by having them available to us no matter what we choose to play.
    A lot of people that played on Nostalrius are saying that the Nostalrius team did nothing wrong/illegal. That just isn't true.

At the same time, I think it is a shame that Blizzard shut it down, and seemingly don't want to take them up on their offer (Keep running it as an official vanilla server). Fact is, the game has had so many development hours poured into it, and a whole lot of that just becomes very close to irrelevant each new expansion. I truly believe a lot of people would have a lot of fun with servers for each expansion, and it really wouldn't be expensive at all for Blizzard to get it up and running.

I'm still not convinced that Blizzard has 100% dismissed it just yet, and in my opinion they have nothing to lose from making a small number of legacy servers available, for some or all previous expansions + vanilla.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Your clearly didnt read the TOS, your game installation is NOT your car, but a borrowed car your allowed to drive as long as you pay.
    Too bad that TOS is not the law. For example here you can legally copy a game you own and give it to friends for free. It doesn't matter what the TOS says, they could just ban you in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Karenai View Post
    You did not have to download anything, you could use your old vanilla installation and Nostalrius did not provide a download.

At the end of the day it comes down to Blizzard having way more money for lawyers and beeing ruthless. You could fight it, but even if you win, it would be a pyrrhic victory, at best.
    Really?
    Because I had a look and they had a link to a client download. That alone is enough for a cease and desist.

And are you really claiming that every single user on that server just happened to have the right version of the client?
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche