Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I hate WoD with a passion but I would sit in my garrison everyday all day over vanilla design.
    This exactly. WoD is bad, but it's way better than anything Classic/TBC had to offer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Why couldn't Blizzard try to sell a license which would allow for emulation of WoW's old content up to certain expansion/patch? Blizzard makes money without needing to lift a finer. Server makers dont have to worry about legal issues.
    Private server players enjoy the content they want to enjoy. Everyone happy. Thoughts?
    so, freeloaders dont pay to even keep the servers running and you expect them to pay for a license which would be even more money per year to pay? rofl....

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    I think you are wrong.
    I know not of any Vanilla server that was anywhere close to Nostralius size.
    If anything it feels like it keeps on growing and growing.
    I bet it did. Not anymore though.

Quote Originally Posted by Namalia View Post
    I've played for 10 years. Everything I said was true from my point of view. Your point of view is different, oh well.
    Good, you should have started by that.
    Though you're objectively wrong on some points which have little to do with opinion (like being at the mercy of the number decided by some raid leader, which is objectively much worse since WotLK).
    Doesn't make it any more credible than what I posted. TBC/Classic were popular at the time because it followed the very popular Warcraft lore, and because there was nothing more casual out at the time. WoW was the "Casual player's MMO". It is what it is.
    TBC/Classic were popular because they were better and deeper. Today's game is just shallow and boring.
    You must have been one of the people that was getting their boots licked if you're defending it so brazenly.
    You must have been pretty butthurt at the time to be so bitter about it. Also pretty narrow-minded and petty to be so obstinate in your venom.

Deleted
    I have memorable moments from all of my 10 years in WoW. I miss the pre-Cata world where my wife & I leveled and grew our mains, the friends we made over the years, vowed as we were leveling through Ashenvale that we would come back after we hit 60 and defend Astranaar from a shaman (when only the Horde had them) that would attack it every other day (and boy did we get him...).

But, I prefer more accessibility, not less. I prefer a game where I can complete story content with my wife & daughter (both far under my skill level) without fear of them being ridiculed or berated enough that the break into tears (which happened to my wife in TBC, it's why she hates raid leaders now). I'd prefer all of their resources go into continuing the direction of the game that lets us play together, rather then diverting resources into something that would be a waste of my time. Other people liking it doesn't matter to me. If Blizzard doing it is going to negatively impact the development of what I like in any way, I am PASSIONATELY against it.
    I'd prefer the Nostalrius model of following the original path anyway, no additional developing. Shouting raid leaders are still here, at least my guild in MoP had one, and I got shouted at hard one day but it was my fault anyway. I think you just found a guild more suited to what you wanted. Even LFR has people insulting you for bad dps and whatever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    No, but yaknow what? They have other stuff going on right now that they aren't giving away for free that still makes them top dollar I could be wrong they could be losing sleep over this "lost income". I just find it would jarr with everything I've witnessed about those two particular individuals thats all
    yeah, I borrow your car tomorrow for free and you get it back in 3 days. thats okay, cause thats what you are sayin....must be cool to hate laws....

Quote Originally Posted by pmizz View Post
    This is a civil rights issue.

Ha.

10charmanders

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Actually the law and society agree. Copyright violation and theft are very different under the law. Educate yourself.
    Turns out, both are still punishable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Yes, but I thought one of the backbones of the "no point in making legacy servers" argument is that there isn't enough financial interest from players. So even if they were getting sub money from every one of the 15k people it's still "drop in the ocean" stuff, right? Thats what people have been pointing out, or I got the wrong end of the stick.
    yes the money from the 15k players, no matter how fucking disrespectfull vocal they are, is still not worse the work any money you would have put into it.

This exactly. WoD is bad, but it's way better than anything Classic/TBC had to offer.
    Yeah, well that's just like your opinion man.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    If you steal your neighbours PS4, he no longer has his PS4. He can't use it, or sell it. Its value has been removed from his possession into yours.

If you go and copy your neighbours poetry book, he still has his poetry book. He can read it, he can sell it, he can burn it. You also have a copy of it, but your copy does not affect his copy (except that you and only you are no longer likely to buy it and can theoretically make more copies and sell those).

Stealing and copying are entirely different processes with entirely different outcomes. You can be as empassioned as you like, it doesn't matter. Without the displacement of the original product, it isn't theft.

I didn't say it was legal, moral, or any other thing. I just said that it isn't theft.
    Quoted for truth (and bolded the most relevant part).
    It won't ever pierce the thick skulls of the bots who just repeat the same mantra in loop and are too dumb to understand the notion of "concepts", but it's still true nonetheless.
    Last edited by Akka; 2016-04-09 at 05:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's sad people continue to discuss validity of two things:

1) realistic chance of legacy servers with a sub being financially viable
    2) the quality of Vanilla itself as a stand alone game.

These are irrelevant. This is a civil rights issue, and the game from 2004 I paid for should be available to me and my friends who desire to pay for it.
    Women getting the right to vote -- that's a civil rights issue. What you are stating here is not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Whos alt are you?
    I have not played WoW since 2007 and never been on MMOChampion.

I have asked for legacy servers since TBC launch on their own forums until they disabled posting from inactive accounts, and 10 years later the conversation is finally allowed to occur on somewhere like MMOChampion so here I am.

I respect your game, but Vanilla offers a guild experience a lot of people underestimate the joys it brings. Vanilla was a pioneer and it's greatness needs to be accessible and enjoyed by the population.

I 100% believe people have the right to play a video game like 1.12 if Blizzard doesn't offer it officially. You cannot convince me of a just and lawful world in which a company can refuse access to a game like this. If it isn't financially viable then let private servers happen. There isn't a conclusion where vanilla wow ins't accessible that strikes me as a fundamental violation of human rights.

I know the PC world we live in will spout "That's the law" The law changes folks. Give me my damn guild back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockzalot View Post
    Yeah, well that's just like your opinion man.
    But the opinion of vanilla fans is somehow more valid to the point of blizzard creating servers just for them, and not tbc fans, and not wotlk fans.

Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    Women getting the right to vote -- that's a civil rights issue. What you are stating here is not even close.
    Yes it is.

If the government randomly made CoD illegal it would be a 10 billion dollar civil rights issue.

I disagree. The easiness with which you can make an account means that a lot of accounts "don't count".
    Ah, yes. the 'no true Scotsman' fallacy.

The fact it's a private server with bugs
    So was the official vanilla server back in the day.

and which was vastly overcrowded
    Funny. I see a lot of people around here using its 'overcrowdedness' as a positive point.

also lower considerably the retention that an official, Blizzard-supported server would have.
    You say 'lower retention' because you're comparing Dobermans to Chihuahuas. They're both dogs, but they're not equitably comparable to each other. Your argument there would hold weight when you compare Nostalrius to Vanilla WoW's retention rate, or current WoW to a WoD private server.

False. Something not free requires a much bigger investment to begin with.
    Which is exactly why its retention would be lower. 'Having to make a bigger investment' can stop some people from fully committing to it and would stop playing. Not to mention that on free servers, there is not this weight of 'having to make a bigger investment, so I can play any time I want, as much as I want, without worrying about the money I'm investing.

And again, I'll repeat: to top it all off, the private servers' low retention rate goes directly against the vanilla supporters' argument that 'classic servers are something in 'high demand' and 'really enjoyable'.

Quoted for truth (and bolded the most relevant part).
    It won't ever pierce the thick skulls of the bot who just repeat the same mantra in loop and are too dumb to understand the notion of "concepts", but it's still true nonetheless.
    By the same token that things that are illegal aren't immoral, things that aren't theft aren't automatically moral.
    Last edited by Pwellzor; 2016-04-09 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Turns out, both are still punishable.
    Murder and jaywalking are also both punishable and also both rather different. Your point being ?

Yes it is.

If the government randomly made CoD illegal it would be a 10 billion dollar civil rights issue.
    But the government didn't make vanilla illegal, blizzard just had someone freeride off their product.

Your false equivalencies are interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Murder and jaywalking are also both punishable and also both rather different. Your point being ?
    See the post above yours.

- - - Updated - - -

I have not played WoW since 2007 and never been on MMOChampion.

I have asked for legacy servers since TBC launch on their own forums until they disabled posting from inactive accounts, and 10 years later the conversation is finally allowed to occur on somewhere like MMOChampion so here I am.

I respect your game, but Vanilla offers a guild experience a lot of people underestimate the joys it brings. Vanilla was a pioneer and it's greatness needs to be accessible and enjoyed by the population.

I 100% believe people have the right to play a video game like 1.12 if Blizzard doesn't offer it officially. You cannot convince me of a just and lawful world in which a company can refuse access to a game like this. If it isn't financially viable then let private servers happen. There isn't a conclusion where vanilla wow ins't accessible that strikes me as a fundamental violation of human rights.

I know the PC world we live in will spout "That's the law" The law changes folks. Give me my damn guild back.
    It is their shit. Make your own vanilla. Oh wait, that takes years and millions of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by mokapse View Post
    I always enjoyed the levelling part most, which has become a drag in current WoW. I hate doing the new Azeroth. I hate one-shotting every mob and just running through everything. I don't want to gimp myself either.

I never got much into max-level stuff, except doing the heroic raids in Pandaria. It feels more action packed and just executing than playing with a good feeling and going forward to me. I never got much sense of achievement from heroic raids, since it never really changed. My thought process never changed. Throne of Thunder I did enjoy, since there were so many gimmicks. SoO just felt more of usual raiding/dungeons so I burned out fast.
    Vanilla does have simpler bosses and mechanics, but I don't find the retail ones hard at all either, just different amount of buttons to rotate.

Community I can't really say, but I liked the old WoW. There were more stories happening. MoP it was basically our guild and 1-2 other people. There was nothing else memorable.
    So basically, "there's no challenge but the less challenging stuff is better"...? Or are you a better player than the people in a top raiding guild which wiped 900 times in HFC Mythic which could explain why you don't find bosses (assuming you speak of the highest difficulty here) hard.

And you don't "want to gimp yourself"? You could do an iron man challenge (not with a pet class obviously) but then you say you "gimp" yourself...seasoned veterans fail at this (optional) undertaking mind you. If you do the IM challenge, you're not gimping yourself (who are you competing with?) in any shape or form...

Could current leveling have more focus on grouping and making it beneficial somehow to have others? Yes absolutely, the reason for this is because Blizzard have been aiming world bosses (world elites) and objectives benefitting from grouped play at max level. Tanaan is a place where, as a fresh 100, you feel good if other players turn up to help you and this could easily be applied to aspects of the leveling experience.

And it could be done with proper tuning and maybe therefore also adding actual complexity to the AI of certain quest mobs and not just make it a matter of "I pulled too much holy shit!!"...

There isn't a conclusion where vanilla wow ins't accessible that strikes me as a fundamental violation of human rights.
    That's a bit detached from reality, isn't it?
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche