View Poll Results: Release classic servers?

Voters
1829. This poll is closed
  • Yes

916 50.08%
  • No!

913 49.92%
Page 1 of 48
... LastLast
    Deleted

Should Blizzard release Vanilla servers?

You Were Meant for this World

You were meant for more. You were meant for epic adventure. Maybe even greatness. To charge your enemies without fear. To live boldly and run with comrades you never knew you had. To experience the impossible. Descend into World of Warcraft and join millions of mighty heroes in an online world of myth, magic and limitless adventure. An infinity of experiences await. Join us.

^ this was taken from the official page of world of Warcraft, how different a game does that sound to the one we have now?

Epic adventure?, what, sitting in dungeon ques for a day or so until max level, then sit in a garrison every day while waiting afk for your welfare epics?

Great adventure that sounds like.

You pay the sub for wow, you can play on both live and classic servers in the same monthly sub fee

That is the question, I really think that now is the time to give us vanilla servers, I really do, what has blizzard got to lose apart from accepting the fact that a 10 year old game is far superior to the one that is currently available to us

There is a reason thousands of us wanted to go back in time to when the game was simply an mmo, it was a world of Warcraft, and not a world of sitting in a garrison 24/7

It was a time when everything you done had significance, you did not need achievement points to show everyone what you did in the game, you simply knew what you had done and what you had gone though to achieve it

It was a time when everything was not handed to you on a plate and you had to work for everything you wanted to achieve, it was a world of Warcraft, it was wow

Everything is negligible and pointless now, things that used to mean so much, things like gear quality, gear In general was much more valuable, Gold was very important, potions were very important, professions where important, social interaction was important, just about everything in the game is pointless now except hitting max level in a few hours then seeing all the content.

Wow today is a soulless copy of what it once was, somewhere along the line blizzard lost what it took to make a great game, and made it a casual disgrace, and look where blizzard is now, they are struggling with sub numbers, players are leaving left right and centre.

and the 12 month content droughts do not help this situation in any way

What I say to blizzard is, admit that the game you made 10 years ago is far superior the wow that we all know, give us that game, and restore your pride as a company, and bring back the long lost playerbase this magnificent this once was game once had. Vets will return to this game like no other, I can guarantee it, there is a place in many old veterans hearts for wow, and once they see that classic servers are released they would return to this game in insane numbers.

They would return to play the superior version of wow, not some casual imposter, do it blizzard

Do it!
    Last edited by mmoca138a41cd8; 2016-08-02 at 05:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should they? I don't personally care. Will they? No. It's too expensive for the dozens of reasons already covered in dozens of threads dozens of times. No matter how many times you post how soulless you think the game is, how awful you think the game is, and how much better you think classic was, doesn't change the immense cost and time investment that Blizzard simply isn't interested in.

Sorry.

I honestly don't care one way or another but I think if they did come out with them...it would only take a few months before people started to figure out it wasnt like they remembered it to be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Should they? I don't personally care. Will they? No. It's too expensive for the dozens of reasons already covered in dozens of threads dozens of times. No matter how many times you post how soulless you think the game is, how awful you think the game is, and how much better you think classic was, doesn't change the immense cost and time investment that Blizzard simply isn't interested in.

Sorry.
    it will happen darsithis , you just watch, and no matter how much you disagree with me in the end when blizzard finally do release classic servers, and you invest the time into it, you will see what I Mean and you will wish you had listened to me all along.

10+ Year Old Account
    If wow never progressed you would have never been able to look back. Back then I would have never thought the game would be as polished as it is now. Its much better as a fond memory for me than going back and reliving the tedium it truly was. Blizzard is fine just moving forward with the game.

I like to play games I've played before, and since Vanilla is a completely different game in almost every way to retail, yes, I think they should. I would play it actively for at least a year. After that, I would be back and forth like I am with retail WoW. I can say with certainty I would play it at least as much as retail, at least after I got max level and reached a daily routine.

Why do you people keep starting new threads hoping for a different result...insanity much? No matter how you parse it or how many times you post it, it's a minority opinion. You do not speak for the majority of players and you certainly do not understand how Blizzard or any other business operates.

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    it will happen darsithis , you just watch, and no matter how much you disagree with me in the end when blizzard finally do release classic servers, and you invest the time into it, you will see what I Mean and you will wish you had listened to me all along.
    And yeah, that's some top level creepy going on there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. I played on Nostalruis. I liked it. I didn't play in classic, but I did play in the old world and it was nice to re-experience it temporarily. Still, I was also reminded of how much better a large portion of the game is today.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    Why do you people keep starting new threads hoping for a different result...insanity much? No matter how you parse it or how many times you post it, it's a minority opinion. You do not speak for the majority of players and you certainly do not understand how Blizzard or any other business operates.

And yeah, that's some top level creepy going on there.
    How is it creepy, lol, its simply stating the fact, that world of warcraft, 10 years ago, was 1000x thye game wow is today. Accept it and move on.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is it creepy, lol, its simply stating the fact, that world of warcraft, 10 years ago, was 1000x thye game wow is today. Accept it and move on.
    It's not a fact. It's your opinion. It's my opinion that classic isn't that great. Again, that's not fact, either, it's just opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Short answer? No.

Somewhat Bigger Answer:

One of the biggest issues people have with the end of the expacs, as far back as Cataclysm, was the content drought.

Is it reasonable to believe, given the massive amounts of complaints, that Blizzard would release a Legacy server, that is 100% 'Content Drought'?

No, not really.

Try as they might, you can break down roughly 90% of the Nos fan-base as follows:

'I miss the Community.' -- Honestly, if you look, there's community now. Is it the same? No, but everything changes and evolves with time and the things that don't, end up getting left behind.

'It's Free.' -- They're not going to pay for a WoW legacy subscription regardless.

'I never got a chance to do the content when it was relevant.' -- Here's the kicker -- you'll do the content and then you'll hit a wall. You'll end up waiting until Blizzard releases the next 'expansion', in this case, Burning Crusade, before you can do that too. But wait, Blizzard will follow suit with the same 'path' they took and you'll reach, perhaps many, many years longer than the initial expansion releases, the point where you started playing WoW.

As someone who played since Vanilla, yes, there were many good memories I had when my guild, when we raided Molten Core, getting server firsts and all that. Having 40 people in a raid, most of which were in a ventrillo server... but unfortunately, you'll hit the same walls we did.

If they did release a Legacy server, it would likely die within six years, three years after Burning Crusade was released. It'd make the entire project a waste of time, effort and resources that would be better put in supporting WoW, Hearthstone, Diablo, Overwatch, and Starcraft. As well as any other projects they might be working on.

Something to remember: Corporate interests are not the same as human interests. Emotion plays absolutely no part when money is involved, regardless of the business.

Someone should post "the great wall of no" again...

Deleted
    Yeah. I played on Nostalruis. I liked it. I didn't play in classic, but I did play in the old world and it was nice to re-experience it temporarily. Still, I was also reminded of how much better a large portion of the game is today.
    did you enjoy the experience though? The wow of the golden days is totally different game to what it is like today, I still wear my scarlet crusade tabard with pride and most of the playerbase just do not understand what it means to see how much this game has changed over the years, they take it for what it is in the current age.but fail to realise just how good this game used to be. That is what is so annoying about it, blizzard have allowed companies like activision to take over and tell blizzard to make the game as casual as possible, and look at the state of the game now, it is dying and there is no one that will deny that fact

10+ Year Old Account
    did you enjoy the experience though?
    It was interesting. I can't say I enjoyed it that much, I lost interest around level 15 once I'd re-experienced some of my favorite zones and had grown annoyed at how clunky the classes were compared to what they are today.

The wow of the golden days is totally different game to what it is like today, I still wear my scarlet crusade tabard with pride and most of the playerbase just do not understand what it means to see how much this game has changed over the years, they take it for what it is in the current age.but fail to realise just how good this game used to be.
    Good to you. That doesn't mean everyone likes it like you do

That is what is so annoying about it, blizzard have allowed companies like activision to take over and tell blizzard to make the game as casual as possible, and look at the state of the game now, it is dying and there is no one that will deny that fact
    *sigh* this tired old crap? Activision has no say in how Blizzard tweaks or what content Blizzard makes for WoW. Also, I suggest you head away from "WoW is dying" posts. We don't allow that kind of discussion here.

did you enjoy the experience though? The wow of the golden days is totally different game to what it is like today, I still wear my scarlet crusade tabard with pride and most of the playerbase just do not understand what it means to see how much this game has changed over the years, they take it for what it is in the current age.but fail to realise just how good this game used to be. That is what is so annoying about it, blizzard have allowed companies like activision to take over and tell blizzard to make the game as casual as possible, and look at the state of the game now, it is dying and there is no one that will deny that fact
    Well, that's what made it so popular, cuz WoW wasn't as time consuming, hardcore and punishing as its competitors. Back in the day, you were pretty much filthy casual peasant if you played WoW, because true hardcore people played EQ, UO, etc. Thing is, by today's standards 2004 casuals are semi-hardcore players, so nowadays many tend to think that WoW 2004 was really hardcore MMO in general, no, it's a bit more hardcore and tedious version of WoW 2016, but as an MMORPG WoW always was casual.

Deleted
    It was interesting. I can't say I enjoyed it that much, I lost interest around level 15 once I'd re-experienced some of my favorite zones and had grown annoyed at how clunky the classes were compared to what they are today.

Good to you. That doesn't mean everyone likes it like you do

*sigh* this tired old crap? Activision has no say in how Blizzard tweaks or what content Blizzard makes for WoW. Also, I suggest you head away from "WoW is dying" posts. We don't allow that kind of discussion here.
    but in those 15 levels, I bet you had more social contact than you have had in the last 5 years of world of warcraft, and that is what is so engaging about it. It forced you to talk, it forced you to interact, it forced you to be part of the world to achieve the things you wanted to do, it was never handed to you on a plate and it made the game so much more rewarding. you can be anonymous to max level and talk as much shit as you want these days no one cares because you know there is a very low chance you will ever see that person again, that is something that is badly missing and I don't ever see it returning unless they release classic servers.

the game has gone past the point of no return, they have laid there bed, and now they will lie in it.
    Last edited by mmoca138a41cd8; 2016-04-10 at 04:57 AM.

Why do people who make this argument continually believe they are the only ones who played in Vanilla? A lot of current players also played in Vanilla. I'm pretty sure a full half my current guild players back in Vanilla, some of them even played together in the exact same guild.

Sorry to tell you, but just because you live in the glory days and look back with reverence and pride at what you did back then doesn't mean that nobody else played back then.

- - - Updated - - -

but in those 15 levels, I bet you had more social contact than you have had in the last 5 years of world of warcraft, and that is what is so engaging about it. It forced you to talk, it forced you to interact, it forced you to be part of the world to achieve the things you wanted to do, it was never handed to you on a plate and it made the game so much more rewarding.
    Bullshit. I played back in original Vanilla and didn't even join a guild or talk to anyone until level 26. That's when I ran my first dungeon, too (Deadmines...notice how I significantly outleveled it because nobody told me I could run it earlier?) There is nothing inherently social about the first few levels in Vanilla.
    Ixila of Forgotten Aspects - US Hyjal 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel
    My YouTube kill vids!
    Ixila - Holy Paladin - Armory | Ixtide - Resto Shaman - Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    but in those 15 levels, I bet you had more social contact than you have had in the last 5 years of world of warcraft, and that is what is so engaging about it. It forced you to talk, it forced you to interact, it forced you to be part of the world to achieve the things you wanted to do, it was never handed to you on a plate and it made the game so much more rewarding.
    No, not really.

I've made more friends in retail than I ever made on Nost. One reason why is that I can add them as Battle.net friends, so I can talk to them from any server on both factions. Two, I'm a usually nice guy who is willing to help out players who don't know what they're doing, so I've made friends from LFR or dungeons. To be honest, most of the people on Nost seemed to find it funny to make penis jokes in general chat as often as possible. I ended up leaving General chat to avoid it.

Okay, there are at least 7 separate threads on this subject just on the main General page. Do we really need this many threads to cover the same topic?

15+ Year Old Account
    but in those 15 levels, I bet you had more social contact than you have had in the last 5 years of world of warcraft, and that is what is so engaging about it. It forced you to talk, it forced you to interact, it forced you to be part of the world to achieve the things you wanted to do, it was never handed to you on a plate and it made the game so much more rewarding. you can be anonymous to max level and talk as much shit as you want these days no one cares because you know there is a very low chance you will ever see that person again, that is something that is badly missing and I don't ever see it returning unless they release classic servers.

the game has gone past the point of no return, they have laid there bed, and now they will lie in it.
    You're grasping at straws.

I didn't interact or be social outside of my two room mates for the first 40 levels, when we were invited into the first guild we'd ever been in. Different people have different experiences and they're, unfortunately for you, different than what you dealt with. There were very few 'nice' people, 'social' people or otherwise unless you were either part of a hardcore guild or a hardcore PvPer. Or Both.

You keep trying to superimpose some horrible truth on Blizzard's downfall that -just- -isn't- -happening-. And the sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll be able to properly contribute an opinion that actually has validity and weight to it.