Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Big Crate of Salvage

On my Mage i have been saving these crates until Legion arrives to fill my transmog wardrobe as they stack in 20s.

Do you think these will be left as is or do you think they will get nerfed and have gear removed from them?

I suspect they would be nerfed, but I have no proof, or precedence from the past.

believe they said any piece you have ever received will go into the wardrobe. so you would be saving those boxes for nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    believe they said any piece you have ever received will go into the wardrobe. so you would be saving those boxes for nothing.
    That was from completed quests

from my understanding on the database was a simple flag for every piece of loot. trying to find the interview/blue post that talked about it but not much luck.

10+ Year Old Account

From last Blizzcon

i was referencing an actual blue response on a forum post that they had on the front page one day. trying to find it is an absolute pain in the ass.

As far as I know that is just completed quests. Potentially bop items could be included since looking at the armory will say if youve looted something but I doubt it. The salvage crates have mostly boe pieces and there is no way blizzard has been tracking a boe I picked up 10 years ago and vendored.

A lot of other people are stockpiling these (including myself) if they do plan to nerf them I expect they would announce it.

ok looks like i was wrong on that one. i think i misread another post but here is one confirming that you need to hold onto your gear:
    Transmogrification
    Is it safe to sell/delete some of the transmog items? Are they already stored on account or have to wait for launch ?
    Outside of quest reward items, you'll want to wait until the transmog system is available in-game before you delete any gear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Narbootz View Post
    As far as I know that is just completed quests. Potentially bop items could be included since looking at the armory will say if youve looted something but I doubt it. The salvage crates have mostly boe pieces and there is no way blizzard has been tracking a boe I picked up 10 years ago and vendored.

A lot of other people are stockpiling these (including myself) if they do plan to nerf them I expect they would announce it.
    i think the post i was referring to was was asking directly about treasures (which are flagged) from a few weeks ago.

of course it makes sense, why would they remove an avenue of activity from the game

Not every item, they cant track that, but every quest reward you have ever gotten as well as the ones you have not chosen to pick. (Meaning that a quest has 4 rewards where you can only pick one all 4 will be unlocked still.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dezminion View Post
    Not every item, they cant track that, but every quest reward you have ever gotten as well as the ones you have not chosen to pick. (Meaning that a quest has 4 rewards where you can only pick one all 4 will be unlocked still.)
    But what about a quest that for example rewards 4 chest pieces (one for each armor type)? Would that only unlock the version that's wearable by the character that completed the quest? Say I did that quest on my warrior, would my mage have access to the cloth version?

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    i was referencing an actual blue response on a forum post that they had on the front page one day. trying to find it is an absolute pain in the ass.
    Wrong. You imagine them holding data for 10+ mill accounts for every item ever obtained? Don`t project your wishful thinking as fact.

Smart idea! gonna do that as well now.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    ok looks like i was wrong on that one. i think i misread another post but here is one confirming that you need to hold onto your gear:
    Transmogrification
    Is it safe to sell/delete some of the transmog items? Are they already stored on account or have to wait for launch ?
    Outside of quest reward items, you'll want to wait until the transmog system is available in-game before you delete any gear.

- - - Updated - - -

i think the post i was referring to was was asking directly about treasures (which are flagged) from a few weeks ago.

of course it makes sense, why would they remove an avenue of activity from the game
    Of course you were wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    But what about a quest that for example rewards 4 chest pieces (one for each armor type)? Would that only unlock the version that's wearable by the character that completed the quest? Say I did that quest on my warrior, would my mage have access to the cloth version?
    I would remember them saying, that you can only unlock the armor type, that is your primary.
    Wlock & mage for cloth, shamans & hunter for mail etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Wrong. You imagine them holding data for 10+ mill accounts for every item ever obtained? Don`t project your wishful thinking as fact.
    ~12kB for 10,000,000 accounts? (Let's say there are 100,000 items. That's a roughly 12kB bit string.)

You don't think Blizzard has 120GB of storage somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    for some reason you have a hard on for me. trying to remember something i read weeks ago and i did not remember correctly. oh my how horrible. maybe go back to my first post where i said i BELIEVE. as in i THINK. not sure how that stating something as fact further more went back page by page and found the blue post that i was thinking about and pasting to show that i was wrong in my thinking and remembering.

now on to your ridiculous statement. imagine them holding data for 10+mil accounts...yet somehow this is exactly what they are going to be doing with the new xmog system? once you obtain it, it is in you wardrobe forever without having to hold onto the physical item?

now on to your ridiculous statement. imagine them holding data for 10+mil accounts...yet somehow this is exactly what they are going to be doing with the new xmog system? once you obtain it, it is in you wardrobe forever without having to hold onto the physical item?
    They keep track of quest completions for each individual character. It's basically exactly the same problem and requires the same algorithms and same order of magnitude of storage.

There are, let's say, 20,000 quests in WoW. The game knows for every character whether that character has completed any of those quests. There is more data involved for repeatable quests, but for one-time quests you need 1 bit of storage: yes, or no.

8 bits per byte. 20,000/8 = 2500 bytes = 2.5kB for each character. Times 10,000,000 characters (or whatever) = 25 GB of storage total for EVERY SINGLE QUEST FOR EVERY CHARACTER IN WOW.

Back of the envelope numbers, but as you can see this is the kind of thing you can do on your home computer (or smartphone) and which storage-wise is not even of consequence to Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Foj View Post
    They keep track of quest completions for each individual character. It's basically exactly the same problem and requires the same algorithms and same order of magnitude of storage.

There are, let's say, 20,000 quests in WoW. The game knows for every character whether that character has completed any of those quests. There is more data involved for repeatable quests, but for one-time quests you need 1 bit of storage: yes, or no.

8 bits per byte. 20,000/8 = 2500 bytes = 2.5kB for each character. Times 10,000,000 characters (or whatever) = 25 GB of storage total for EVERY SINGLE QUEST FOR EVERY CHARACTER IN WOW.

Back of the envelope numbers, but as you can see this is the kind of thing you can do on your home computer (or smartphone) and which storage-wise is not even of consequence to Blizzard.
    yes i am well aware of this lol. i used to work as a DB admin and have/had my SQL certs so i know a thing or two about databases. i was just trying to sarcastically point out that he was saying it was impossible to do something that they are going to be doing lol. it would be the same type of flag as your talking about in your example. item #xxxx, yes or no.

Deleted
    I think theres no point in saving these boxes