Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Wattmate View Post
    Glad it's been shut down, shame it didn't happen sooner before it got so many players. Hopefully a few of its users will start playing the real game and paying towards it.
    Is there an option to play Vanilla on retail? No? Then I don't need your shitty game. I wanna play vanilla wow, not this disgusting behemoth that's not even an mmorpg anymore.

Deleted
    The so called intellectual property of Blizzard is a joke. They're copying their stuff out of other games and peoples ideas and you attribut it to them? The current changes in Legion reveal this again.
    I don't give a damn about their copyrigh because of that.

"Everything is a copy is a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy..."

Wake Up. We can do whatever we want. Nost continues. This one fact already proves me right.

We want to play vanilla and we do it on our own cost. Mind YOUR business.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    It really isn't just a matter of "c'mon, Blizz! Just hire Nost's programmers and they'll fix everything for you!". Code will have to be written from scratch to be compliant both with the new hardware and integration with Battle.net (both security and communication systems) in mind. You don't get to do that with a handful of unpaid programmers, and you don't get to do it without a lot of time, bug-fixing and play-testing.
    Another poster here suggested that the community could fund the development costs somehow. It would take some extremely principled people to oversee that, but it would advance the discussion it seems.

We've made a strong case for why vanilla WoW legacy servers are viable in terms of numbers. I hope legacy servers become a reality because there was something that was lost that some people hope to find again by any means.

What anyone who wishes to contribute to this discussion needs to do is see past all the nonconstructive criticism and all the insults and character assassination, and focus on the evidence.

Now personally, I miss vanilla WoW, but I also miss Live (I'm glad I was there to experience the magic of the early days even though I was terrible at the time). I really hope the goal here isn't to make WoW so unbearable that most of us want to escape into the past. Because we will, whether it's in the form of games, or real life.

Any attempts I have made to be civil have been met with extreme hostility. How are we supposed to respond to that?

If anyone wishes to contribute any further insights to this discussion now's the time.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    I don't see legacy realms happening until WoW's development comes to a halt and new expansions are no longer being made. At that point, they can just focus on maintaining older expansion patches.
    A free to play model wouldn't be viable for vanilla WoW. The game would at least need to promote new Blizzard products internally somehow, and vanilla wasn't very good at that, not to mention it's immersion breaking.

Even with only 1 million subs, WoW can always be updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandoman View Post
    The so called intellectual property of Blizzard is a joke. They're copying their stuff out of other games and peoples ideas and you attribut it to them?
    They can copy stuff that is not protected. Copyright covers the expression of an idea, not the idea itself.

What protected IP did Blizzard copy?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

It's fun reading all the justifications of why Blizz "deserves" to have their product stolen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    I wouldn't spend my time advocating this if I wasn't serious about it. How do you think Blizzard would react if their pre-purchase orders were not sufficient enough to cover the cost of development?
    Oh silly, Pre-Purchases have NOTHING to do with developement costs....

They've been saying for years that private servers are frowned upon and would be shut down. Why is this such a big surprise? There's no justification needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Standsinfire View Post
    Me: whyumad* fixed. Seriously though, it's only because they rapin' eveerbody in here and I don't want you to be snatched out yo' windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by noepeen View Post
    If that were my dog, I'd Hulk Smash the fuck out of that raccoon.
    Or I'd shit my pants.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    I think the bigger picture is how a free server with dated content managed to launch a server that has a far better community and more playability than the current version of wow in MY oppinion.
    fixed your mistake there....
    (PS: I dont like communities where those people wish other people would go kill themselfs...)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    They can copy stuff that is not protected. Copyright covers the expression of an idea, not the idea itself.

What protected IP did Blizzard copy?
    Don't try to logic them. It's not very effective

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    It's fun reading all the justifications of why Blizz "deserves" to have their product stolen.
    Stealing is different from allowing unsupported versions of their product to still be used. It's copyright infringement at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by xxxDkDkxxx View Post
    People have been playing on pservers since Vanilla. They played there even when the game was good. There are probably as many reasons as there are players, but for me personally it's mostly just due to the "ease of access".
    Don't have to sign up for anything. Don't have to pay. Don't have to put in your payment options. Don't have to feel like you must grind gold every month.

It's the sort of free lunch that some people enjoy.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh please. Can we stop being so fucking dramatic. It's a videogame. You were playing on a illegal server. They get shut down. It's happened many times before. It will continue happening.

Jesus fuck man.
    We need a dramatic fainting next.

Quote Originally Posted by Burekdober View Post
    Talking about intellectual property, we (most of us at least) bought the game and probably still have original CDs, so you have a right to the content on that

...and basically all u were paying monthly was just the servers

So I dont really see a problem, since they reverse coded - they should get a proper lawyer and it shouldn't be a problem as long as they own the original vanilla CDs
    Actually, all you ever bought when you bought the CD was a license to use said CD, which can be revoked at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I've cancelled my Legion and Overwatch plans as a result of this. If I have, so have others. I'll be taking my business to other companies from now on.
    Because they shut down an illegal server? Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    Another poster here suggested that the community could fund the development costs somehow. It would take some extremely principled people to oversee that, but it would advance the discussion it seems.

We've made a strong case for why vanilla WoW legacy servers are viable in terms of numbers. I hope legacy servers become a reality because there was something that was lost that some people hope to find again by any means.
    While I understand where they're coming from, I don't think Blizzard would let the community fund anything they themselves aren't willing to fund in the first place. That is simply not how they work as a game developer. On the bright side, if Blizzard one day does decide to implement Vanilla realms, you can be sure the development costs will be shouldered by them.

As for how viable Vanilla WoW servers are, numbers-wise... I've made a long post a bunch of pages back that explored that point. The problem is, only Blizzard knows their costs. I'm 100% sure I lowballed the costs significantly in my estimation, and I probably overestimated the conversion rates between free-to-play private server users and subscribers to possible official Vanilla WoW servers. Sure, 30% of people who play World of Tanks have spent any money on it at any time, but the statistics for F2P games point to nearly half of their earnings coming from only 2% to 3% of the users. That's not encouraging data for Blizzard.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    Once you create something that is enjoyed by so many people, it is no longer yours as an entity. It belongs to everybody. On one hand.
    On the other you have a version of the game that is nothing like the current one. The game you're currently playing is not even an mmorpg anymore. It's an arcade with a lobby. Not even an rpg anymore. There is no world. There is nothing about this wow that made it wow. Everything that has been added over the past 7-8 years is synthetic, for the lack of a better word. It's flashy and meant to steer you away from what the game has become. It's a zombie. Stitched up and pumped with various substances to keep it alive and have it feed the ignorant with the sole purpose of efficiency. Efficiency translated into lengthening its life for the sole purpose of money. Sole purpose.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sqviddy View Post
    Luckily for everyone, mmo-champion posts are pretty much non indicative of either community.
    Lol, but the post on Redit, facebook, the official wow blizzard forums paint a clear picture of how BAD the nost community is contrary to your claims.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKain View Post
    I already have my legion ce on preorder, but you just convinced me to preorder overwatch.

Thanks Embriel!
    *high five* I think I might buy something from the Blizz Store! GG

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Because they shut down an illegal server? Bye.
    Probably because they destroyed a community they claim doesn't exist(EDIT: or rather, they're not interested in). There's very few, if any, people that'll claim the server shouldn't have been shut down because it was perfectly legal. It wasn't, we know. A large part of the backlash comes from the people that want to play different iterations of WoW, but have no legal way of doing so.
    Last edited by Pieterman; 2016-04-10 at 02:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    Don't try to logic them. It's not very effective
    I don't even know what IP is since im not that familiar with english. All I know is that the whole money based copyright stuff isn't the right way to go here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterman View Post
    Probably because they destroyed a community they claim doesn't exist. There's very few, if any, people that'll claim the server shouldn't have been shut down because it was perfectly legal.
    Are you sure that's what they claim? I don't remember Blizzard ever saying there is no one asking for Vanilla WoW servers, only that they're not interested in and have no plans to open those.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.