Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    Only reason why Blizz doesnt want legacy server is becouse having 10y old game what have potecial to be more popular then current retail would show how devs are out of touch with their games and players. It would show flaws in current desing and how all those years Blizard went in wrong direction.
    "potential to be more popular" Really? You REALLY think that? Yeah just watch how fast content would be consumed, people would be REALLY pissed off at how fucking TERRIBLE class balance is in Vanilla, how so many features they REALLY use are gone and so on. You are living in a fantasy land if you think Vanilla content would keep people busy outside of levelling up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Theres barely any story at level 100.
    I'm glad you are reasonable and not blinded by your own bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    No, you cant. You have to BUY retail first!
    99.99% of everyone who is even interested in playing WoW, in any form, has already done that. And if not, that is a small investment. Nobody plays Vanilla just so that they don't have to buy the base game. These are veteran WoW players you are dealing with.

THEY PLAY VANILLA CAUSE THEY LOVE VANILLA.

GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULLS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    "potential to be more popular" Really? You REALLY think that? Yeah just watch how fast content would be consumed, people would be REALLY pissed off at how fucking TERRIBLE class balance is in Vanilla, how so many features they REALLY use are gone and so on. You are living in a fantasy land if you think Vanilla content would keep people busy outside of levelling up.
    Not many people experienced vanilla. A large portion didnt even do any of the raids. Only about 3% did.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

bs - the lore is more then fine , lvling experience in wod was one of best in last few expansions - the only hting that sucked in wod was cut out 3rd tier and lack of mid expansion dungeons / world dailies.

Deleted
    The irony. Yes I can but someone else is paying for it. The sub fee doesn't drop from the sky.
    You are still playing for free.

HOW OFTEN UNTIL YOU FINALLY GET IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmongoldy View Post
    Nobody plays Vanilla just so that they don't have to buy the base game.
    Nice sources you presented there. Did you ask them all personally?

The point missed your head by a mile it seems.

Not to mention you have to BUY the game, regardless of sub fees.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2016-04-10 at 06:24 PM.

You don't. You don't have to invest a lot of time into getting gold. With garrisons it's easier than ever before. You have to invest more time into getting to level 60 on a Vanilla server than you have to into getting a year's worth of WoW tokens through gold. Let alone farming gold on a Vanilla server. You know not of what you speak.
    Yeahhhh considering I knew how to make gold in Vanilla and was one of the richest on my server I kind of know what I'm talking about.(and don't even get me started on TBC where I swam in gold for fun.) The thing is the methods of farming gold in Vanilla are WELL KNOWN now and so doing them AGAIN might not work as well. Back when the content was current that was a far far different story and people could make a lot of gold if they figured out what to do.

It isn't the same when you go back on a replay and do the stuff over, it isn't fresh and new and damn near every method on making gold, earning exp, what specs do the most dps, etc is all known in advance.

Blizzard doesn't lose revenue here because there is a consumer purchasing additional product BECAUSE HE IS PLAYING.

Guess where this concept does not exist. A private server.
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

99.99% of everyone who is even interested in playing WoW, in any form, has already done that. And if not, that is a small investment. Nobody plays Vanilla just so that they don't have to buy the base game. These are veteran WoW players you are dealing with.

THEY PLAY VANILLA CAUSE THEY LOVE VANILLA.

GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULLS.
    or because it is free and they don't want to pay to play the game anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    bs - the lore is more then fine , lvling experience in wod was one of best in last few expansions - the only hting that sucked in wod was cut out 3rd tier and lack of mid expansion dungeons / world dailies.
    Are you kidding? The lore was crap imo. The Iron Horde wasn't even a threat, even before they attacked Azeroth. We had cool ass characters getting killed for no absolute reason and letting the crap characters live and thrive!
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxDkDkxxx View Post
    Bullshit. It's because they can't reverse the new netcode/server architecture.
    If they could, there would be WoD pservers as well. And MoP. Especially MoP.

But nope, they're all shit. Vanilla is not the be all end all nirvana. It's because it's the only free goodiebag available.
    How does any of what you are saying contradict what I said? Back then, there were private servers that actually had current content. Vanilla. TBC.

Now there aren't. Those private servers today are all for old versions of the game THAT ARE NOT ACCESSIBLE ANYMORE THROUGH ANY OTHER MEANS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teralus View Post
    Lol, this is gona go on forever.

Stop living in the past and move forward, good lord, i loved the old wow but the fanboys make it look like everyone who played it a dribbling moron.
    Chillax. In WoD I leveled up my drood to 100 and just stopped playing. I didn't really know the exact reason for it, it just didn't attract me anymore.

A few months later I discovered Nostalrius and since I haven't been able to explore Azeroth in the official vanilla times, cause I twinked a lot, I could make a part of it up now.

Let me. I enjoy it.

The game isn't as fluent as retail, it has many points where i think retail has got its advantages and they made me think about returning, but then, and I can't explain it, overall it just feels more, like the World of Warcraft should be.

It is my opinion it would be a better value to pay nostalius 14.99 a month than blizzard.

At least the people that hosted nostalius were working towards a better gamer experience than the folks at wow.

Developing a patch and then going dark for a year or two just does not cut it in today's gaming world.

Not many people experienced vanilla. A large portion didnt even do any of the raids. Only about 3% did.
    Right but imagine new players going into Vanilla after playing the last couple expansions, they'd expect to bring whatever class they'd want and be able to down content, that wouldn't happen. Raging would ensue. They'd bitch about levelling taking too long, and how the pvp system worked for people getting ranks for basically just playing all day every day and never losing the top rank. That is just the tip of the iceberg.

And play the same thing over again and over again, the same thing we already played over and over again?

Holy shit that sounds unfun.
    Remind me what grinding raids on retail is again?

I'd have thought the whole "repetition is bad" thing would be pretty irrelevant here, we're talking about gamers who don't get as burned out by that, right? I mean e're not quite ARPG style grinders but still...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17610923829

NOTICE:i am not the person who wrote this and originally thread can be found here:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17610923829

"Oh boy, not another thread about bringing vanilla back" you might think this is about. This is however just a personal reflection of the recent event (and you know what I mean by "recent event"). This is more a summary of different topics on this forum, you might say.

First off, let me explain where I stand on Blizzard as a company. I love the company and their games. I played Warcraft III: RoC and TFT, Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm. I think all of those games are great. And then there is World of Warcraft - the game that is probably more famous than the company who made it. I played in Vanilla, TBC, WotLK, Cataclysm and MoP. And it's the game I have played the most - by far!

Disclaimer: I do not own a copy of WoD, but I have seen the game live a lot because my friends play the game, and I often visit them. I have also listened to different youtubers and their take on the current game.

And, sadly, the current game does not interest me. The current game is so far from the version of the game WoW used to be in it's early days. However, this thread is not a discussion about "this version of WoW vs that version of WoW." I just explain that I used to be a subscriber because the game was worth my money, and now it's not.

Soooo, here I go. I played on the private server that is about to be closed because of a Blizzard lawsuit. And I don't regret it because I had so many positive experiences with the server community. The positive feelings I had for this 10 year old game came back! I could relive my cherished memories. It felt great!

And here I see people on the forums that don't understand the appeal of the private server. I, for one, did not play on the private server because it was free. I played because it was a service that Blizzard doesn't provide anymore. The classic version of the game is gone. There are no official legacy servers. If Blizzard offered the same version released 10 years ago, I would resubscribe immediately. And I got to know a lot of other players who agrees with me on this, so these opinions are not mine alone.

I, as a (hypothetical) customer, went to the market and couldn't see a product that suited my needs. Soooo, I went to the black market. There are so many here on this forum that believe that the only reason why we play private servers, is that they are free to play. Nonsense! Sure, I'm not saying there aren't people who can't afford a subscription, and that they get their WoW-fix on private servers for free. But the private servers are the only ones that offer the classic version of the game. Blizzard doesn't want to.

And the server was shut down. World of Warcraft in any shape or form is Blizzard's intellectual property, and it is their right to protect their property. I don't see anyone disagree with this. And I accept this 100%. However, I question their wisdom. And please, I don't say they are stupid for doing this. I am just saying that this might cause reactions that are not in Blizzard's best interests.

Does shutting down a private server with over 150k active players make their profits go up? Does this stop the subscription bleeding? I honestly don't know. However, I do know that I will not subscribe to WoW after the private server is gone for good, unless Blizzard gives me a very good reason.

Why? Am I being a sore loser? Am I asking for a Blizzard boycott? Of course not! It's just the fact that in my situation (and opinion), that retail WoW and vanilla WoW are so different, they are not even competitors. As an example to demonstrate what I mean: I love fruit. I go to the market to buy some fruit. For some, vanilla WoW is an apple and retail WoW is an orange. To me, vanilla wow is an apple, and retail WoW is a sofa. Banning apples doesn't push me into the urge of buying a sofa... This should be an easy concept to grasp.

The fact is that Blizzard, by shutting down the server, alienates a lot of players like me. We love the company and we are fans of the game. We are just sad because we disagree with the path retail WoW has gone, and that we can't play the old version of the game. And behold, there are people who have cancelled their subscription to retail WoW and cancelled their pre-purchase of Legion over this matter. And I don't make this up to validate my points. I have been reading this forum every day now since Thursday. Subscriptions are dropping, and it's not a good thing for the game.

And then there is the discussion if Blizzard were to make these legacy servers... Would all of the 150k players subscribe to WoW if Blizzard gave us the option to play previous expansions? Of course not. I know the server had a lot of gold sellers and surely there would be people who can't afford a subscription. But that means that less than 150k are interested in legacy servers? I am 99,9% sure that's wrong as well.

See, not everyone are here on the forums and shouting their opinions. Of (I don't know the exact number) about 5 million subscribers, there might be 10% who would play old versions of the game. Not to forget that WoW has bled since WotLK. A lot of those players would resubscribe for legacy servers because they disagreed with the course WoW was sailing, and they abandoned ship. My guess (because guessing is all I can do), is that WoW would have at least half a million active players playing on legacy servers, and a rise in subscriptions of at least 30-50% of that number. And maintaining those servers and a very small staff (remember, the versions are already developed) would definitely be worth the cost. They would probably hire the required staff so the legacy servers wouldn't affect the development of the current version of the game.

And please, don't give me the "if legacy servers were profitable, then Blizzard would already be on this" fallacy. Seriously? Do you think that every single company in the world has a 100% clue of what is profitable or not? All Blizzard can do is estimate and do some serious guesses based on their estimates. If Blizzard was so omnipotent as many on this forum suggest, then why was MoP such a disaster subscription-wise? Why the sudden plunge a couple of months after WoD release? They thought they had a good release. Guess what? They were wrong! It is not my intention to gloat (because I sympathize with Blizzard). My intention is to make it clear for everyone the possibility that Blizzard underestimate the importance of legacy servers.

A last point I want to make. Someone here on the forum stated that my voice and the voice of others who play private servers shouldn't matter (as much), as the voice of those who has subscribed to the game since the break of dawn. To that I say, NO. Your logic is the one that is dubious at best.

Why? Because Blizzard is a company. Companies exist almost exclusively for bringing in the dough. Since human beings are so different from one another, every change to the game will be both praised and hated. The reality is that if we want Blizzard's attention, the only thing we can do is to voice with our wallets. Because ranting on forums doesn't speak as loud as money does. When you are loyal and keep your subscription, you effectively tell Blizzard you like the game as it is. When players unsubscribe, it is their way to say "Hey, Blizzard! You better shape up, or you lose me as a paying customer for good".

In economics, loyalty to a company is the death of creativity, new thinking and competition. A lot of people from my country (Norway) are very loyal to their banks. What do banks have to do in order to keep us as customers? Nothing. Even though other banks give better offers or services, a lot of us wont change banks. How absurd it may sound, me being a "disloyal" customer, actually does Blizzard a favor.

If you want a naughty child to behave better, what would be more effective: Telling the child there wont be any dinner if he/she doesn't stop being a brat, or just stop feeding the child until he/she behaves. My bet is on the second option, though I might get a visit from the child protection agency for saying this, haha.

Sorry for this rant, but I just had to get this off my chest. I cross my fingers that this wall of text may give readers a bit to reflect upon. I hope you will forgive me for any misspelling and typos. Thanks!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    bs - the lore is more then fine
    the lore was the worst of the worst.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Remind me what grinding raids on retail is again?
    There's still something new on the horizon after the grind.

I would care more if they had a PvE server instead of PvP one.

But they didn't.

So let them crash and burn, and if they are sued out of their underpants, the better.