Quote Originally Posted by njeebje View Post
    arguing with people on a forum because they don't share the same opinion as you for 12 hours a day is silly too.
    Cool, shut down the forum. I'll find something else to do while I try and get elastic beanstalk to accept my goddamn node.js changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by njeebje View Post
    arguing with people on a forum because they don't share the same opinion as you for 12 hours a day is silly too.
    It's a mass outcry agreeing with them, it's totally not just 5-6 people spamming it.

I can definitely understand how they have thousands of posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Propainn View Post
    It's a mass outcry agreeing with them, it's totally not just 5-6 people spamming it.

I can definitely understand how they have thousands of posts.
    To be fair I was at 1200 before this thread. Shit has been fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    So why does this make private servers legal.
    They are not, nor did I imply that. Nostalrius should've been absorbed under Blizzard's umbrella and made completely legitimate as it was very much different from all other private servers. Reasonable and professional staff. Non-profit. There was no mal intent.

I remember an identical case with Lineage 2. NCSoft is no apartment company either. A private server sprang up in my hometown many years ago. They were so good at what they were doing and so professional that they were eventually licensed by NCSoft and offered support.

Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    So why do you get to claim the moral high ground?
    Oh boy. That's the whole point. We are on equal footing. I'm not claiming we are morally superior.
    Last edited by Legion; 2016-04-10 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Well that's not true. Let's be realistic if Nost had been hosting 100 servers with 10 000 people on them illegally Blizzard would listen more than they are
    Actually there are more Private Server that are doing more DMG than Nostalrius, but Blizzard got mad because of the infamous "you want it but really you dont want it hurr durr....oh we were wrong."

To be fair I was at 1200 before this thread. Shit has been fire.
    Amen to that haha.

I don't post too often here, but I think I've probably nearly doubled my count in the last 48 hrs myself. I've said my peace, I personally feel this will happen down the road at some point, but I understand the concerns of those against it.

Reading this thread, I am genuinely interested:

Where are Blizzard fanboys getting the idea from that everyone who plays on a private server only does so because it is free? Everyone I ever met playing on Nostalrius or on the Arena-Tournament realm played live WoW for years. I myself had a subscription for 8 years. I didn't stop playing live WoW because it cost me too much money, I stopped playing it because it was no longer the game I loved. I would pay more than a normal subscription to play a Blizzard hosted Vanilla or Wotlk server because those two periods where the best in the game.

Think about it, if it was only about playing for free, why are all the popular private servers past iterations of the game? Why aren't there popular WoD private servers? Or even MoP servers? But no, nearly all servers are Vanilla, TBC or Wotlk. You have to be really delusional to believe people play on private servers because they are free.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    They are not, nor did I imply that. Nostalrius should've been absorbed under Blizzard's umbrella.
    This is where you lose me. Its just nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Naraga View Post

Where are Blizzard fanboys getting the idea from that everyone who plays on a private server only does so because it is free? Everyone I ever met playing on Nostalrius or on the Arena-Tournament realm played live WoW for years. I myself had a subscription for 8 years. I didn't stop playing live WoW because it cost me too much money, I stopped playing it because it was no longer the game I loved. I would pay more than a normal subscription to play a Blizzard hosted Vanilla or Wotlk server because those two periods where the best in the game.

Think about it, if it was only about playing for free, why are all the popular private servers past iterations of the game? Why aren't there popular WoD private servers? Or even MoP servers? But no, nearly all servers are Vanilla, TBC or Wotlk. You have to be really delusional to believe people play on private servers because they are free.
    When you can point me to the part where all of us said all people play on them because they are free I'll give you your credit.

Some people like free shit. Some people liked vanilla too! Perfect, both together!

Also keep throwing shit like fanboy. I'm not the one claiming the Majesty or magic of vanilla wow.

Explain why. I don't get why this seems far-fetched.

It's kind of what EQ did with Project 1999.

P1999 was a fan-run private server essentially, and a partnership was made between EQ and themselves, marking the first "official" private legacy server.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzza View Post
    http://motherboard.vice.com/read/world-of-warcraft-legacy-server-shut-down
    ALone the headline shows its a piece of crap
    "Blizzard Erases Gaming History By Axing a Fan-Made 'World of Warcraft' Server"
    #1 blizzard is crashing someone abusing their ip
    #2 the server was NOT fan made as it used blizzards software
    #3 Blizzard didnt axed the server but the pussy leadership decided to close it down.

Quote Originally Posted by some shit website
    - Blizzard's decision effectively amounts to bulldozing a living history museum.
    - Nostalrius' admins were trying to make WoW's storied legacy live on in something
    #1 proves that every idiot can write an article and publish it on the internet
    #2 nice how the nost teamnow acts like they are the VICTIMS while they did the CRIME

"We believe that [World of Warcraft] was played completely different back then," Nostalrius' lead designer "Daemon" told me by email
    Okay thats it, from today on I tell everyone I have email correspondence with that I built spaceships
    lead designer in his dreams maybe - he didnt design anything.....

But MMORPGs are different. To get the full effect of what made World of Warcraft so magical 11 years ago, you need not only load up the original version of the game, but you also need to populate its server with thousands of people. To preserve it, it effectively needs to be reborn. You need to recreate its economies, right down to people hawking goods in trade chat and listing supplies on the auction house. You need to recreate guilds spending days running the same dungeons and quests over and over for faction reputation, and you need to recreate the frantic races to be the first to tag a world boss. Any less, and it's not really WoW for me!
    fixed that paragraph.
    Everyone else except that live is evolving and so are MMOs....

"We believe that we had five or six times more online players than a single official realm back then."
    ofc Blizzard did the smart thing and split the population by region - something nost didnt do and players compalined on the forum about.

Many of these new players stayed, finding a sense of camaraderie that no longer comes as easily in Blizzard's current incarnation of the game
    made up....

If Daemon ever gets to chat with Morhaime and co., he'd be wise to point out that there's a precedent. When a nonprofit, fan-made legacy server called Project 1999 sought to recreate the original experience of the MMORPG EverQuest, Daybreak Game Company gave them their blessing.
    At which point Morhaime will just laugh at him and point out that EQ is FREE to play.

Gaming as a whole is worse off with its loss in my oppinion.
    Overall a biased piece of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    ALone the headline shows its a piece of crap
    "Blizzard Erases Gaming History By Axing a Fan-Made 'World of Warcraft' Server"
    #1 blizzard is crashing someone abusing their ip
    #2 the server was NOT fan made as it used blizzards software
    #3 Blizzard didnt axed the server but the pussy leadership decided to close it down.

#1 proves that every idiot can write an article and publish it on the internet
    #2 nice how the nost teamnow acts like they are the VICTIMS while they did the CRIME

Okay thats it, from today on I tell everyone I have email correspondence with that I built spaceships
    lead designer in his dreams maybe - he didnt design anything.....

fixed that paragraph.
    Everyone else except that live is evolving and so are MMOs....

ofc Blizzard did the smart thing and split the population by region - something nost didnt do and players compalined on the forum about.

made up....

At which point Morhaime will just laugh at him and point out that EQ is FREE to play.

Overall a biased piece of crap.
    Yet I had more fun on this shit website than I've ever had while playing wow on retail. It was the best game I've ever played. EVER. And I think that's killing you. You just don't understand how a game so old can be still popular when compared to your arcade game.

Quote Originally Posted by Naraga View Post

1+

/10char

Deleted
    One reason why people prefered Nost over retail

<snipped>

Infracted: Spam [MoanaLisa]
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-04-10 at 07:51 PM.

I played soccer the other day. Shit was wild but didn't have boars. 8/10

- - - Updated - - -

grumble grumble jealous.
    Yeah, I don't want to do too many spoilers, but the lore behind the acquisition of the resto druid artifact was pretty awesome. (I'm a sucker for druid lore.)

- - - Updated - - -

When you can point me to the part where all of us said all people play on them because they are free I'll give you your credit.

Some people like free shit. Some people liked vanilla too! Perfect, both together!

Also keep throwing shit like fanboy. I'm not the one claiming the Majesty or magic of vanilla wow.
    Is this some sort of new trick? "I didn't say it so no one else did"?

Almost every page of this "discussion" has someone literally posting a variation of that very argument.

[QUOTE=Fummockelchen;39740882]<snip>[QUOTE]

It is fanmade software, you can't simply steal server software...
    If they could steal this, then there would be perfect WoD Servers running... instead they are all bugged af

Quote Originally Posted by Propainn View Post
    It's kind of what EQ did with Project 1999.

P1999 was a fan-run private server essentially, and a partnership was made between EQ and themselves, marking the first "official" private legacy server.
    You're comparing what a "dead" game did out of desperation to the still market leader (despite its recent shortcomings)?

Call me when WoW is down to couple of hundred thousand subs, then we can have this conversation again.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Explain why. I don't get why this seems far-fetched.
    The conditions are wildly different. Everquest fizzled in playerbase years ago. Like I said to someone earlier, sure when wow isn't about to release an expansion its been working years on, and when the demand for vanilla>retail players they MIGHT do something like this.

Everquest had incentive. Blizzard, instead of offering a job, offered a cease and desist letter.

Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post

It is fanmade software, you can't simply steal server software...
    If they could steal this, then there would be perfect WoD Servers running... instead they are all bugged af
    But they did steal all Blizzards assets for the game. You know, the stuff in the client.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche