Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Well he's agressive and bitter because something he didn't like existed, so I guess this answer the rhetorical question...
    Just please, continue to prove my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Propainn View Post
    And a well thought out and insightful response at that, ty!!
    It was a bit longer than just "I disagree" but that was the general jist of it. Does everything need to be spelled out for you?

What I find ironic is that if Blizzard decided on legacy servers based on popularity, we'd get a Wrath server not vanilla since that's when WoW was the most popular

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Are you inventing time travel then to get that back?
    It was there on Nost more than any mmo I've played since LK. I can only tell you what I experienced. It could be that it attracted people from that era that had certain social expectations, but I think how the game was designed is important as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Include clause for older versions of online games for archival and preservation.
    which shouldnt be used for mmos as these change over time.....its like saying as a 3 year old my kid was so much nicer now as a teen hes terrible and i want the 3 year old back....

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    It was a bit longer than just "I disagree" but that was the general jist of it. Does everything need to be spelled out for you?
    Huh, you were a lot more trollish earlier. Now your tone is just outright defensive and angry.

...I wonder why that could possibly be?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Jealousy is an ugly thing.
    Please, continue to prove my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    which shouldnt be used for mmos as these change over time
    Try telling that to them. Come back to tell me how's the brickwall and how's your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    The logical disconnect here is where you understand that Blizzard has every right and should protect their IP in this way, but you're upset that they did so. If you really understood Blizzard's position, you wouldn't consider playing on a private server in the first place. You would either a) be content with retail or b) not play wow at all. You wouldn't make the illogical choice of putting Blizzard into an impossible position and then blame them for doing something they have to do.

It doesn't matter what a private server does better or what a live server does worse. It's all a matter of opinion and the size/scope of Blizzard's multi continent gaming platform is why it would be so difficult to add a functional legacy server. You're basically asking them to rewrite the game (for free) so that it works in 2016 with their current system and expecting it to be the same as it was back then minus all the problems. You want them take on a massive project for something that probably won't yield much return (if any at all), and likely won't result in the experience you want anyway. And then you're asking everyone to ignore the giant elephant in the room - PRIVATE SERVERS STILL EXIST EVEN IF BLIZZARD MAKES A LEGACY SERVER. Private servers are still a problem even in your fantasy scenario, they don't just go away because Blizzard caves and hosts a legacy server. So the end result is we have Blizzard investing all this capital (with very little return) into making legacy servers a thing, meanwhile private servers are still up and running their own versions of the game for whatever specific experience they claim to want.

No, the current situation is the only ideal one, unfortunately. You have to play Blizzard's version of the game or accept the consequences when a pirated version gets taken away. You don't get to cry foul or fault anyone other than yourselves. Like I said, what's better/worse about Nostalrius is a matter of opinion. A small team running one server hosting a much simpler version of the game, managing only a few thousand players at any moment, probably has a much easier time dealing with in-game issues with fewer delays for obvious reasons. It's not like Blizzard employees can just stare at live servers like the it's the Matrix code and see cheaters and just say 'fuck it, too busy counting money' instead. Blizzard relies heavily on player reporting to catch people who cheat. It's not like Warden is a end-all tool for stopping cheating. It's just one tool, that sometimes weeds out lazy cheaters. Everything else requires a report and an investigation. You can't just ban a paying customer when someone hits the 'submit report' button, you have to do your due diligence because that's just good (legal) business practice.

Like I said, the logical disconnects are obvious. Everything Blizzard has done in this situation makes sense to me because I understand the business/logistics side of game development. If you have someone wanting to buy an item from a cash shop, that's good enough reason to have one. If you don't want to buy things from a cash shop, then don't. What others do with their resources is none of your concern. Same thing goes for in-game features like group finder or flying mounts. Don't use them if you want an experience sans those things. You can still walk to any dungeon/raid and so can your entire guild if that's what you're little hearts desire. Hell, you could RP walk the whole way and act out the entire journey over a weekend of D&D in Ventrilo if you want.

I've sat here and played this game for over 10 years. I've seen players manufacture their own niche play methods and build a community of like-minded players willing to put the group first. This includes things like doing old vanilla raids at or below level with limitations to make it challenging and fun (like the old days!) for everyone involved. Hell, I've been a part of several different twink communities over the years and I've seen first hand what the will of the player base can do in the face of poor game design, so I'm not excusing Blizzard for dropping any balls or making poor choices with their game. But I'm also not excusing private servers, because I've watched all these things happen on live servers.

While the nostalgia and small scope of Nostalrius might have attracted a tight woven community, you have to understand that Wow's live server community is spread out across a hundred servers on half a dozen data centers across multiple continents. You have servers spanning different time zones, language barriers, and guilds branching out with leadership tightly woven through the game. This game is too big, too complicated, and far too popular for your version of the game to ever be a reality again on live servers. Those are just plain facts. Rather than fight against change, rather than trying to appease an extremely small group of very particular people, they have embraced the reality they find themselves in - Wow is more than just Vanilla. It's about forward momentum, progressing the game, and developing new tools/features that players can take advantage of to leverage the most fun out of their play time, while simultaneously doing what's feasible (very important word, considering size/scope of Wow) to fix the problems as they arise. It's not Blizzard fault a bunch of grumpy old men are too stuck in 2004 to get off the front porch and experience what the game has to offer.

While it does have its problems, most players on live are quite happy with their play experience (which is why they continue to play the game) and I'm even willing to bet that a lot of players don't even consider the idea that private servers exist. I know that I only ever tried one out of curiosity and immediately remembered why I like Blizzard as a company and stuck to playing Live servers. While you do get a tight nit group who does a great job of execution on the things they want, your little group of volunteers will never be able to produce the game experience we currently have on live (you know, the things players actually like about the game).

No, you're stuck in 2004 on that one, and that's shitty. I don't care about being level 100. But I sure as shit enjoy playing my panda monk with her high rez model and updated class design. If I took that much issue with retail Wow, I would just quit. I'd never play a private server instead (especially instead).
    It appears you don't understand the difference between legality and morality, morality is where blizz has flubbed here. Legally it's well within their right however. As for choosing between no WoW, or playing WoD.... obviously when there's better options, people are going to take them. It's ok to be angry at someone that went a legal route though.

And nobody has asked blizz to make vanilla servers for free, a lot of people would gladly pay. That being said, yes private servers will still exist but if you want to compare the popularity between classic versions of the game and WoD.... ask yourself, how come there are no WoD private servers? lol. How about MoP? Cata? That's because the interest in the game is considerably lower than vanilla/BC/ or even wotlk.

As for blizzard's lack of response for hackers and cheaters, warden is very weak, but beyond that, the GM team does nothing about hackers when reporting them in game. Alone that's not a huge deal, but there's been a massive dip in quality in just about all aspects. And it is not very difficult to tell if someone is cheating or botting, it shouldn't take years to ban someone doing this. No excuses here.

As for cash shops and such, you can't remove those options from the game, so why not play on a server that is void of them to begin with? Blizzard is only encouraging people to leave the game when offering advantages that you have to pay for with real life money.

As for 60 guilds and vanilla content - you can't do it for a few reasons, one raids like Naxx and ZG are no longer in the game. Two, abilities and classes have changed massively. Three, the game still won't have any of the interesting elements that made vanilla great lol. So you can't really bring back any of the interesting stuff (like the awesome community) unless you actually give players the classic servers. Turning off your xp isn't a real option here.

As for fighting change... blizzard's "change" has cost them more subs then it has gained. So any idea of the negative changes being brought to the game because they are "change" is beyond silly lol. Where do you get terms like forward momentum? Things like not punishing cheaters, bots, LFR, LFD, eliminating the social aspects of the game, all just some examples (yet not the only) where the game has regressed.

Have you considered most players on live are masochists? Ok ok, I know some people really do enjoy pet battles or hanging out in the garrison and doing nothing. That being said for a lot of people the game is extremely boring now. As for the private server teams.... they do a much better job then blizzard, you put in a ticket and they'll answer you and do things that WoW's GM's can't do, like banning cheaters.

As for being stuck in 2004... how do you figure? I love 2016, but I prefer awesome games over crap. Even you yourself admit being level 100 sucks lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    Or in this case, they make their case rationally.
    You mean like on Blizzards fb page right now?

Deleted
    Eye of the best and weapon skills! Blizzard would be foolish not so this! But honestly try and answer the question here.
    Why would anyone bother? As evident from this thread alone you're completely incapable of honest discussion.

I do like golf, so I try to watch and play it as much as I can.

As to your post, we get that you like vanilla better, that is not the question I asked though. Tell me what content vanilla has that WoD does not?

Is this some kind of zen koan? What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Do you know the difference between how that content plays? If all raid mobs were reduced to 1 health would it still be the same content as live? And difficulty is only the surface of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Have you considered most players on live are masochists?
    I i... don't. khdslkjashdlkjsahsalkjhsadkljhlkjasha
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

It's no surprise that people on here don't get why some people would play on a server like this, always bringing up stuff like endgame content and how the old raids/instances are still in the game when that has nothing to do with it at all.

It's not about whether Vanilla was a better game than modern WoW or not, it's the fact that it's an entirely different experience than any other game in the world and it's one that we're not allowed to play. Vanilla WoW and modern WoW might aswell be two seperate games from two different genres, they're that different. Blizzard are legally allowed to take it down of course, no arguing with that, but it's heartbreaking that the enormous community that played Nostalrius can't enjoy the game they love so much. Retail WoW is not that alternative because it has absolutely nothing to do with Vanilla WoW, and anyone who played Vanilla WoW will know that the differences are too many to list.

RIP Nostalrius.

Deleted
    Enjoyed my time on Nost, it really was wonderful, thankfully only played 14 hours, my mate had ten days, which again is tiny compared to some. there is a demand and once Blizz figure out how to milk it, they'll do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Tad ironic dont you think?
    I give what I get, but I still love how the Nosdrones are doing nothing but proving my point.

It (and their tears) are glorious.

I'm done with this thread. Sick of going back and forth with the same people. Not really going anywhere.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

I don't really have a horse in this race but I'm a tad curious on the whole non profit argument. As long as the server host is actively charging for the service of well, hosting the servers, isn't there going to be SOMEONE inevitably benefitting and making money off of private wow servers?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    Blizzard are legally allowed to take it down of course, no arguing with that, but it's heartbreaking that the enormous community that played Nostalrius can't enjoy the game they love so much. Retail WoW is not that alternative because it has absolutely nothing to do with Vanilla WoW, and anyone who played Vanilla WoW will know that the differences are too many to list.
    you mean the community that shits all over blizzard right now?

#FuckNostalriusAndMayItBeForgottenFastUntilTheNextKillAndWeGetAnotherLongThread

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    I'm done with this thread. Sick of going back and forth with the same people. Not really going anywhere.
    Post counts man.

This thread is the Servant of Razelikh of farming post count atm.