View Poll Results: Release classic servers?

Voters
1829. This poll is closed
  • Yes

916 50.08%
  • No!

913 49.92%
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    not for a very long time. but yes, all the things the players beg for always come. legendary xmogs, vanilla servers, account wide everythings, flying everywhere, 10-15 man mythic, these are all the types of things blizzard don't want to do but at the same time, have a plan to implement when things are looking otherwise grim.

Quote Originally Posted by Plaguestorm View Post
    more choice is not allways better

you go to a buffet they have put out every single meal in the world, good or bad, there is some meals like burgers that are super popular, but then there is also meals like raw spiders, a few people will enjoy it, but is it worth spending the same amount of money to make space for the spiders that mabye 2 people will eat? or get rid of that tray of spiders and put a tray of cheese burgers that millions will enjoy?

(as you can tell im kinda hungry but it makes my point)
    - - - Updated - - -

When I say more choice is always better, I mean it's better in consumers' standpoint.. as long as it doesn't split the community too much that is.
    But it's another story from blizzard's point of view. That's why I said "... they should(because we consumers want it!). But they would not(because they got a business to run)."
    Last edited by AS1776; 2016-04-10 at 03:34 PM.

Blizzard should not release Vanilla servers because they shouldn't waste development/GM/other time and resources on it that could be otherwise dedicated to the live game.

However, they should recognize that there is somewhat of a demand for this. As a result, they should find a "licensee" and delegate running it to them, so there would be an actual official-type Vanilla server. They can charge $10 a month, with a percentage of it going to Blizzard and the rest going to the licensee. Then they can use their legal muscles to shut down every other Vanilla server, and drive all of the people who actually want Vanilla to this one licensee.

Deleted
    I think so. As for those thinking it would take away from current development, just look how little you're getting even with supposedly 'the largest team that WoW ever had'.

Deleted
    The pool results are closer than they have ever been usually on this forum it would be a wall of no but its clear to see players are starting to shift towards agreeing that vanilla servers would be a good thing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    The pool results are closer than they have ever been usually on this forum it would be a wall of no but its clear to see players are starting to shift towards agreeing that vanilla servers would be a good thing

Unfortunately, you didn't ask for players only to answer... nor do you have a way to qualify that statement... what you are measuring is how people that see the poll feel. At least try to be truthful. If its a binary choice of yes or no... I'll vote No... however, if you say that you and the other vanilla crusaders will crowdfund it, I'll vote sure. But, here's the stick... even if you have 100% support here, it means nothing because until you can show Blizzard that its profitable they aren't gonna do it.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Nope. Waste of time and developer resources.

The past is in the past...

Let it go... Let it go...

Yes, there's clearly a demand to warrant aleast 1 vanilla server. There's no reason to be against it, as it doesn't affect you and you can just stick with retail. WoW is just to much of a different game by now, to me retail just isn't fun to play while I still get a blast playing vanilla. Its not even nostalgia or anything (such a poor excuse...), but I like the whole feel of being in an open world doing whatever you like, and meet great people on your journey. WoD just feels to much like some action co-op game, I never met anyone during questing and when I group up for apexis dailies we never even really talk.

Deleted
    If they do the are telling every real customer "here you have our effort from 10 years ago, we can't do anything better". They will openly admit their lack of faith in their own current development and product! So if they release vanilla servers they will certainly lose me as a customer. Why would I pay for product that lacks support and faith from their devs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    If they do the are telling every real customer "here you have our effort from 10 years ago, we can't do anything better". They will openly admit their lack of faith in their own current development and product! So if they release vanilla servers they will certainly lose me as a customer. Why would I pay for product that lacks support and faith from their devs?
    Thats why those that want it should crowdfund it, then Blizzard can chose to either do or do not.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    it will happen darsithis , you just watch, and no matter how much you disagree with me in the end when blizzard finally do release classic servers, and you invest the time into it, you will see what I Mean and you will wish you had listened to me all along.
    Maybe in a few years when they no longer put money or effort into making new content.
    It's not going to happen anytime soon though.

Just not worth it.

7+ Year Old Account
    You should be scared when they do it because it would mean that WoW has been abandoned as a project in the near future. They will milk the content they already have with legacy servers until they pull the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Or you know they release vanilla servers, because people want them? I find it very hard to believe you would quit, over something that has zero effect on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Nope.

That 150K wasn't a lot in the grand scheme of things....and I'm almost positive a majority were only there cause it was free.

Vanilla is gone....time to move on people!

Quote Originally Posted by LordKain View Post
    ...and I'm almost positive a majority were only there cause it was free.
    Why weren't they on one of the WoD illegal servers instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    Why weren't they on one of the WoD illegal servers instead?
    You can't possibly be this thick can you?
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

No offense intended, but I thought WildStar (?) was supposed to be the sort of game that Vanilla players wanted?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I think Blizzard should open up Vanilla servers.

Not sure why people think that there will be a lot of resources spent on creating something that has already been made. Activision/Blizzard is a multi-billion dollar company. A PRIVATE SERVER with a SMALL group of people had a MILLION registered accounts - we're talking 1/4 or 1/5 of what WoW IS NOW. That's insane in itself.

On just one server, there were ~13000 people online at one time - no server in WoW has those numbers right now. Blizzard could easily retire the many completely dead servers and offer transfers to fill up other servers so we can actually see people out in the world. With the money they'd save by taking down dead retail servers, they could easily put up ~5 Vanilla servers.

Again, we're talking about a PRIVATE SERVER that had thousands of players...if Blizzard had hosted it's own Vanilla servers, there's no doubt in my mind that it would generate profit.

Some people keep saying "That server only had so many players because it's free." No one plays shit because it's free, they play it because it's fun. $15 a month is literally nothing, and would not stop the majority of those vanilla players to pay for it in the end.

I love WoW, I think it's "okay" in it's current state, but to say that it wasn't better in the past is delusional. WoW as a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER ONLINE game was FAR better than what it is currently. If you were able to log on Nos while it was up, you saw people everywhere questing, working together, finding groups for dungeons/raids etc. Now everything is automated for the player and there's NO REASON to go out into the world. Dungeon finder is better than questing, you queue for everything else, and the best way to make gold is to AFK in garrison.

WoW as an MMO is a complete joke compared to Vanilla/TBC/Wotlk.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    The problem is that WildStar failed to live up to what it marketed. Having 40 man raids and difficult 5 man instances was their way to capture the "essence" of classic WoW. Classic WoW was loved for far more reasons than difficult raid/dungeon content (which, let's face it, they really weren't that difficult).
    No game can capture that "essence" anymore and neither can private servers. The only way to do that would require the power to turn back time and the power to "unlearn" everything you know about WoW so you can start over as a starry-eyed noob playing it for the first time in 2004.

Even playing a private server as a veteran, you already know all the quests, the layout, and the endgame. You know exactly what things to farm, what mobs to avoid, and what things are most efficient. That element of freshness and surprise isn't there anymore. Most people will at most experience : "oh hey I used to do this, cool"
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals