Affliction trying to start Destr.

So I always use affliction, and it's done quite well so far. 13/13 heroic solid. Now, I'm trying to edge into mythic (4/13 from a nice group on Monday) and I did well enough as aff, but I was certainly less than ideal on assault. That made me worry for future fights where affliction isn't ideal and the RL wants me to go destr, where I just won't be up to par.

So I'm learning. But all my gear is enchanted/gemmed for haste. Would it be wise to change haste for mastery? Or would that hurt affliction too much?

Also any other general tips would be great, or just telling me "Affliction is totally fine on all fights, maybe not assault but that's easy peasy anyway so don't worry about touching destr..."

That would be nice.

Thanks for w/e though.
    Last edited by HTJokester; 2016-04-07 at 12:22 AM.

Haste and mastery are barely different, just go mastery.

When to play destruction is entirely up to your raid, generally speaking affliction doesn't do much "useful" dmg, or in other words you aren't going to be able to carry any mechanics as aff. Most of the shit that'll wipe your raid are things that destruction is better at handling, so I'd definitely lean more towards that spec if you care more about killing the boss than numbers.

I'd only recommend aff on zakuun, tyrant, council, and reaver during progress unless your raid for some reason just doesn't need the kind of dmg destro does on every other fight which I highly doubt.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    ...generally speaking affliction doesn't do much "useful" dmg, or in other words you aren't going to be able to carry any mechanics as aff. Most of the shit that'll wipe your raid are things that destruction is better at handling, so I'd definitely lean more towards that spec if you care more about killing the boss than numbers.
    Which is a shame, but Affliction feels more like a support spec than a pure dps one. Affliction should be wracking enemies with crippling pain and debilitating terror, not annoying them with little DoTs to just help the main dps roles out.

I'm really new to playing a Warlock, but I've been watching my wife play her Affliction Warlock since Wrath, with all the ups and downs, enjoyable moments and frustrations, and it strikes me that the nature of the spec has never been fully realised by the devs.

So yesterday I specced my dual into Destruction (from Demonology) and am trying to get the hang of it. Havoc is throwing me for a loop, I'm not sure how to best use that, likewise Fire and Brimstone.

Because there's so much target switching in HFC, Destruction seems to make sense as it allegedly allows for strong immediate damage on new targets but I'm not entirely clear on how to do that, as the rotation feels very build-up oriented (Immolate, Conflagrate, Incinerate til 3.5 Embers then Chaos Bolt) and can take a while to "power up".

I guess it's about learning Ember management, ultimately. So like the OP, I'm interested on tips and advice to apply to playing both specs well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

There's guides stickied at the top of the forum for each spec, nothing has changed since they were made and there's tons of discussion in each.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Affliction excels at single target and prolonged multidoting (think Council), but Destruction is better to deal with mechanics, since it harbors A LOT of switching and burst AoE potential. That is, if you are still progressing. Bosses put on fast farm kills are better supported by Affliction's ST power, but it seems you're still kinda far from that.

Mastery Affliction is a little weaker than Haste Affliction single-target wise, but stronger in multidotting, and mastery is a go-to stat for Destruction, so it's totally fine to run mastery, if you cannot afford another set of weapons, cloak and jewelry.

As for the tips, there are 2 cornerstones for Destruction: Shadowburn and Havoc. Sniping embers with the former and spreading damage with later, either via double Chaos Bolts or a bunch of Shadowburns (old trick - Shadowburns will copy to the Havoc'ed target no matter what %HP it has). And, you should really learn the fight and do a lil planning on Havoc to get the most of it or to know when to start building high amount of embers for a burst AoE (think imps on Mannoroth, DBM helps).
    It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic... No, what the heck, I'll laugh anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Judex View Post
    Affliction excels at single target and prolonged multidoting (think Council), but Destruction is better to deal with mechanics, since it harbors A LOT of switching and burst AoE potential. That is, if you are still progressing. Bosses put on fast farm kills are better supported by Affliction's ST power, but it seems you're still kinda far from that.

Mastery Affliction is a little weaker than Haste Affliction single-target wise, but stronger in multidotting, and mastery is a go-to stat for Destruction, so it's totally fine to run mastery, if you cannot afford another set of weapons, cloak and jewelry.

As for the tips, there are 2 cornerstones for Destruction: Shadowburn and Havoc. Sniping embers with the former and spreading damage with later, either via double Chaos Bolts or a bunch of Shadowburns (old trick - Shadowburns will copy to the Havoc'ed target no matter what %HP it has). And, you should really learn the fight and do a lil planning on Havoc to get the most of it or to know when to start building high amount of embers for a burst AoE (think imps on Mannoroth, DBM helps).
    Also with destruction you got the problem of mobility. I tell you hwat try playing warlock while being a mage main. Ya know, cast on the move and double blink. With warlock you absolutely must plan movement ahead of time. Not just because you use a teleport instead of blink, but because you have literally no mobility. Healers aren't going to be the happiest if you are using burning rush in an encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Healers aren't going to be the happiest if you are using burning rush in an encounter.
    Unless they're REALLY into padding... :P
    It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic... No, what the heck, I'll laugh anyway.

Speaking as a healer main, Burning Rush doesn't really have an impact on the healing burden unless the Warlock player fails to turn Rush off for an extended period of time. For the most part the damage done by Rush is healed up via indirect, passive, or smart heals and isn't a cause for concern.

Speaking as a Warlock alt, it annoys the hell out of me that the only speed boost I have causes me to take damage.
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Okey dokey!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    Speaking as a healer main, Burning Rush doesn't really have an impact on the healing burden unless the Warlock player fails to turn Rush off for an extended period of time. For the most part the damage done by Rush is healed up via indirect, passive, or smart heals and isn't a cause for concern.

Speaking as a Warlock alt, it annoys the hell out of me that the only speed boost I have causes me to take damage.
    You could always mitigate it with sac pact

It's the principle of the thing more than being a gameplay hindrance

"Okey dokey!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Also with destruction you got the problem of mobility. I tell you hwat try playing warlock while being a mage main. Ya know, cast on the move and double blink. With warlock you absolutely must plan movement ahead of time. Not just because you use a teleport instead of blink, but because you have literally no mobility. Healers aren't going to be the happiest if you are using burning rush in an encounter.
    You'll get used to it. It has never really bothered me. Just plan your shit and eventually it will be like riding a bicycle.
    Former highend raider. Now highend moron

I always select burning rush and use it on every boss to move when needed. Get somewhere faster = more uptime on damage.

The damage you take isn't that significant that healers cant heal you or HP spikes from it unless you always keep it on at all times then it could become an issue. Normally its a slow burn that your soul link leech could even keep you healed up.