Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    A white knight. We all know the real reason why Blizzard took action, the server was getting too popular.
    Blizzard does plenty wrong, I'm utterly disgusted with Blizzard for several things, so sorry a white knight I'm not. I just loathe liars and thieves more than I dislike Blizzard.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    A white knight. We all know the real reason why Blizzard took action, the server was getting too popular.
    This is one of the reasons I don't like the Nost crowd. Small minded haters who just can't see that people like different things. The server was illegal, got shut down as so many have done before and now you're here insulting everyone else.

Great community indeed.

Deleted
    Because the two groups have always hated each other?

People who play vanilla enjoy a challenge and community people on live slowly chiseled away at till world of warcraft became world of quecraft.

People on vanilla and TBC servers are there because they enjoy that style of game. Imagine if you put a group of checker players together with a group of chess players and forced them to share. Then slowly you start to take away chess boards...

The two hate each other because they each represent a extreme of a play style.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    This is one of the reasons I don't like the Nost crowd. Small minded haters who just can't see that people like different things. The server was illegal, got shut down as so many have done before and now you're here insulting everyone else.

Great community indeed.
    A white knight is a white knight, everyone isn't a white knight just because they are riding with Blizzard. Ironic how you say I "just can't see that people like different things"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post

People who play vanilla enjoy a challenge and community people on live slowly chiseled away at till world of warcraft became world of quecraft.

People on vanilla and TBC servers are there because they enjoy that style of game. Imagine if you put a group of checker players together with a group of chess players and forced them to share. Then slowly you start to take away chess boards...

Again with binary logic I see. So all modern players merely que and none of them do Mythic is what you're saying. Whereas each and every vanilla lover does it for the challenge and there isn't a single one who likes to play Warcraft for free. Said challenge, of course, includes raiding Naxxramas (was it even open there?) as a peak of vanilla difficulty and one of few places which could be compared to modern mythic bosses.

Probably cloning Onyxia/Hakkar heads, as well as Grave Moss and Black Lotus, so more than couple guilds could actually do those bosses and not run out of consumables.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Why do the people who play on private servers hate people who don't? For instance, in the thread on our forum about Nost being shut down, multiple people were banned for telling retail players that they should kill themselves.

The answer is that people, online, lose any social inhibitions.
    Kindda insane to think of that, really. Why would people actually care? Except for the fact that private servers aren't permitted, else, the rest is none of anyone's business.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Redroniksre View Post
    as a lot of the times the Nost players would constantly spout off about Nost on forums like MMO-C, using it as "evidence" in support of legacy servers regardless of Blizzards response, which inevitably led to Nost being shut down.
    I got tired of the thinly veiled Nost advertising threads.

It doesn't matter to me one way or another, really, but I think private servers are just noise, and they're not legal, so whatever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Again with binary logic I see. So all modern players merely que and none of them do Mythic is what you're saying. Whereas each and every vanilla lover does it for the challenge and there isn't a single one who likes to play Warcraft for free. Said challenge, of course, includes raiding Naxxramas (was it even open there?) as a peak of vanilla difficulty and one of few places which could be compared to modern mythic bosses.

Probably cloning Onyxia/Hakkar heads, as well as Grave Moss and Black Lotus, so more than couple guilds could actually do those bosses and not run out of consumables.
    The very top end of wow's playerbase are really all there is left that reflects the way it used to be. The game has changed drastically. Tell me honestly, How do you think the current player base would handle not being able to pull more then two maybe three mobs while farming? How would they handle talent trees? Do you think they would make their own groups and go to dungeons.

I am not sure how I can even express how much the game has changed... It took me about 6 hours and a few deaths to get to level 11 on a vanilla server leveling on a mage. On the live one it took me 25mins and I was chain pulling mobs constantly. You can't compare the two anymore. They each appeal to massively different crowds who do not in any way shape or form like each other and arguably the live server crowd killed off the private server crown in terms of the way the game is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Blizzard does plenty wrong, I'm utterly disgusted with Blizzard for several things, so sorry a white knight I'm not. I just loathe liars and thieves more than I dislike Blizzard.
    Many people would gladly pay if Blizzard made the servers and charged a fee. However the only option is the "illegal" route. Over the years playing on private servers many people were active subs on retail as well. And what are we private server players lying about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many people would gladly pay if Blizzard made the servers and charged a fee. However the only option is the "illegal" route. Over the years playing on private servers many people were active subs on retail as well. And what are we private server players lying about?
    There is another option... Crowdfund enough money... wave it at Blizzard and say, 'Will you do it now?'

Money talks, vanilla tears walks...

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Foj View Post
    I got tired of the thinly veiled Nost advertising threads.

It doesn't matter to me one way or another, really, but I think private servers are just noise, and they're not legal, so whatever.
    Just ppl are bored from WoD and have enough time to post in forums. Once when legion start, this threads will be forgoten.

Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post

Yep. That was more or less my point, the amount of venom can only be explained if there is actually something which impact directly the retail players, and the whole posturing as anti-illegality is only a cover to drape into - and honestly, it kind of fail as that, as making a crusade of something as inconsequential just make one look like an unbalanced zealot with weird moral priorities.

Deleted
    A white knight is a white knight, everyone isn't a white knight just because they are riding with Blizzard. Ironic how you say I "just can't see that people like different things"...
    It's a derogatory term. You can formulate your differences without resorting to name calling.
    Just like I wrote "small minded haters" - that was derogatory term as well - that probably triggered your answer.

That's a really bad way to debate. So let's stop that, ok?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Truculentt View Post
    just... why.
    Gamers have an unusual habit of strongly identifying with the corporation that develops and publishes their game of choice. They've even adopted the corporation's jargon and speak constantly of 'intellectual property', 'franchise', 'monetization options', the works. Some people go so far as to imagine themselves being on the corporation's 'team', and worry about its shareholders, subscribers, staff hiring policies, etc. They see the corporation's concerns as their concerns. It's tempting to say these people have too much time and are too emotionally invested in a corporation that doesn't know who they are, but I'm sure there are those who do so as a result of a genuine passion for the games and fictional worlds.

I also wouldn't be surprised if you're seeing a division between groups and kinds of players that's always been there to some extent. The people who enjoy the gameplay Classic and TBC offered are different in some ways from those who get excited about the gameplay in Warlords. There are countless people who enjoy both, but they are - as so often - the silent group in the middle. It's like the 'casual v. hardcore' debate of old has transformed into a 'private realm v. official realm' shouting match.

There are undoubtedly also a number of people who belong to the rather immature 'if I'm not having fun you can't either' group of people. As well as a general level of unpleasantness, rudeness, and lack of civility that thrives online. It's the nature of the medium that everyone gets to have his or her say - both for good and ill.
    Last edited by mmocc94fac7b8d; 2016-04-11 at 07:41 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StAlia View Post
    Gamers have an unusual habit of strongly identifying with the corporation that develops and publishes their game of choice. They've even adopted the corporation's jargon and speak constantly of 'intellectual property', 'franchise', 'monetization options', the works. Some people go so far as to imagine themselves being on the corporation's 'team', and worry about its shareholders, subscribers, staff hiring policies, etc. They see the corporation's concerns as their concerns. It's tempting to say these people have too much time and are too emotionally invested in a corporation that doesn't know who they are, but I'm sure there are those who do so as a result of a genuine passion for the games and fictional worlds.

I also wouldn't be surprised if you're seeing a division between groups and kinds of players that's always been there to some extent. The people who enjoy the gameplay Classic and TBC offered are different in some ways from those who get excited about the gameplay in Warlords. There are countless people who enjoy both, but they are - as so often - the silent group in the middle. It's like the 'casual v. hardcore' debate of old has transformed into a 'private realm v. official realm' shouting match.

There are undoubtedly also a number of people who belong to the rather immature 'if I'm not having fun you can't either' group of people. As well as a general level of unpleasantness, rudeness, and lack of civility that thrives online. It's the nature of the medium that everyone gets to have his or her say - both for good and ill.
    In fact, it's not about gamers, its about strong brands. In games, you probably just have one of the strongest personal involvement factors, especialy in an MMO-RPG where you create your own characters and let them grow, develop, gain strenght and experience stories on your own and together with other players. Personal memories are the most persistent ones and thus, games are predestinated to create a strong personal involvement.

I am indifferent in regard of the existance or closure of private servers. I do hold a grudge agains people who use these without paying a sub for the retail version, though. It would be a great thing having private servers when WoW gets shut down by Blizzard and would not exist anymore in the official way. But there is an official WoW, and people should either acknowledge this or stop playing at all. Yes, I have had a pirated copy of Matrix from a friend who downloaded it (which is kinda funny because the movie is about hackers and cheating the system). Since then, I have bought both soundtracks of that movie, a DVD copy and later a BluRay copy. I liked this movie so much, that I cared about paying all the people involved.

Who knows how WoW would have developed, if all these butthurt vanilla fans would not have left, but instead have stayed in the official game, and would have instead campaigned to bring back some features from Classic which got lost on the way. I liked Classic area design, for example. WoD feels claustrophobic in comparison to that. I have voiced my concerns more than once. I have a habit to send notes of which things can be improved. I don't know if Blizzard analysed these messages - but in case that they do, like checking for special keywords, I know that I have spoken out. People who just leave the game but then playing a pirated version, contribute in my view directly to the decline of WoW.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2016-04-11 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Who knows how WoW would have developed, if all these butthurt vanilla fans would not have left, but instead have stayed in the official game, and would have instead campaigned to bring back some features from Classic which got lost on the way.
    Wait wait wait, are you actually blaming the pro-Vanilla people for the changes of design made by Blizzard that drove them away ? 0_o

This problem and shitload of other problems would be solved if blizz release vanilla servers,you dont like it dont play it,its all on blizz,they can solve the problem but question is if they want too.And dont give me that "its expesnive,its too much work,its gonna divide community,files are lost..." crap.Its a fucking multi billion dollar company they can fuckin buy a state if they want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeMiner View Post
    *snip*
    This kind of behavior is EXACTLY why people on the official forums have so much hate toward the private server crowd.
    It's also a brilliant example of why folks that were neutral toward the situation are also siding against the private server crowd.

Wait wait wait, are you actually blaming the pro-Vanilla people for the changes of design made by Blizzard that drove them away ? 0_o
    Yes it is!

No, seriously. There is no point of keep paying for something you don't enjoy. Blizzard has too much of an ego to realize sometimes that things worked better before in some aspects. They refuse to acknowledge and keep using the same statement "We want to push our game forward, looking into future" crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    This kind of behavior is EXACTLY why people on the official forums have so much hate toward the private server crowd.
    It's also a brilliant example of why folks that were neutral toward the situation are also siding against the private server crowd.
    It looks like glorious fun being in a deathmatch in a crater, but ... for most people, not really. And for everyone else, not for very long.

We had Southshore vs Tarren Mill ... it was dull. I did it once or twice. People only remember the good bits of large WPvP battles. Their brains erase the other 95%.

Quote Originally Posted by Restors View Post
    Blizzard has too much of an ego to realize sometimes that things worked better before in some aspects. They refuse to acknowledge and keep using the same statement "We want to push our game forward, looking into future" crap.
    Blizzard has reverted numerous changes to the game over the years.

And I certainly hope they keep pushing the game forward. Otherwise why even keep the servers running? The fact that a small fraction of the would-be subscriber population is having fun playing a nonexistent version of the game for free won't impress anyone with a rational perspective.