Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drpizka View Post
    both of you, read all my post. Vanilla is more than welcome, but its the actual experience and difficulty that is desired
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    It's a general mindset. If people want classic legacy servers, it's most likely true that the same people would enjoy a conceptually accurate, but modern iteration. It's not like we're hipsters that desire to experience the same shitty server lag, or want the graphics to get worse.
    Personally I've found that to be a fear that people have. That Blizzard would fuck it up by making a modern remake.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    Nost's sub numbers are evidence enough for me
    Do you have anything to compare it to? I posted numbers from few popular Steam f2p games and Nost does way better. The Superdataresearch also implies that Nost does better than most f2p mmos.

Deleted
    You say that, but I saw a lot of posts that wan't exactly that. Worse graphics, Class imbalance, hunter weapons. All the fun of the past decade.

- - - Updated - - -

I really have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

7+ Year Old Account
    You say that, but I saw a lot of posts that wan't exactly that. Worse graphics, Class imbalance, hunter weapons. All the fun of the past decade.

- - - Updated - - -

wow, and nowadays that ALL classes are the same it's super cool huh?

Or maybe, a game is judged by its graphics,right? OK, whatever. I got it perfectly why the game is so crap and super easy now

Quote Originally Posted by Drpizka View Post
    wow, and nowadays that ALL classes are the same it's super cool huh?
    Looks like you're in for a treat in legion.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Looks like you're in for a treat in legion.
    obviously , DH > all classes.

I am saying about the current state of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    It's such a hot topic even the original pro flying thread gained pages faster than this.
    Which proves absolutely nothing and is unrelated to this issue and discussion. That was a thread of a relatively popular feature which was potentially not going to be available in the current expansion and possibly other expansions. Legacy servers are something that have never been offered and private servers have never been sanctioned.

Until this server got so much hype and its shutdown was further publicized, many players had no idea what a private server was, and many still don't because they don't read forums. People who were aware of private servers but had no idea how they worked probably thought it was some scary deep web hacker stuff needed to play on them, and stayed away as a result. Seeing prominent streamers youtubers or even their friends play on Nostalrius made a lot of people realize playing on private servers is not difficult, and I'm sure that's what blizzard wants to avoid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mokapse View Post
    Do you have anything to compare it to? I posted numbers from few popular Steam f2p games and Nost does way better. The Superdataresearch also implies that Nost does better than most f2p mmos.
    Sure because it's WoW. But make it official, give it a subscription and suddenly it's a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by mokapse View Post
    150k of 800k is a lot to me. 150k active players too. Path of Exile has similar numbers, except 200k of 3mil. At the moment it's 6th most popular f2p game on Steam. Cookie Clicker with 300k of 2,7mil. Yeah it's not Blizzard popular, but a very real profiting business is there. For interest Smite is 5th wih 360k of 2mil.
    http://steamspy.com/app/238960 for PoE's numbers.

PoE is 6th and Cookie 7th right now because today PoE has had more players, I think. The 'retention rate' is also around double of these really popular f2p games.
    Here we come with some real numbers, finally!
    1st point is: Classic servers are more popular and in demand than ENTIRE games which are very-very popular also, and profitable. Blizz don't even need to develop anything really new to get these subscribers. Most of you are blind by high numbers that WoW always had, but forgot that many, many games around there have a lot less, but still have their niche.

2nd point is: current WoW sub numbers do not represent active players (strange but true). WoW-census, many years being a trustful site to measure population is showing some real numbers here:
    789k active players in last 30 days on NA servers total according to http://warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php
    500k active players in last 30 days on EU servers (excluding Russia, but there is not so much here) total according to http://warcraftrealms.com/eu_realmstats.php
    So, in total we do have around 1,3 mil active players in past month,even if you double them (counting Russia and China), 150k players on one single Nost is pretty big chunk of it, let alone others less known.

3rd point is well known Everquest and Runescape classic servers which came to reality after almost same accident that we have now with Nost.
    Last edited by shifuren; 2016-04-11 at 12:26 PM.

Deleted
    Sure because it's WoW. But make it official, give it a subscription and suddenly it's a lot less.
    Maybe, maybe not. Oldschool Runescape is one that had a major success, gaining similar amount or even more than the modern version. There are others that failed too I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by americandavey View Post
    BS. There is over 500 pages with former Nost members wanting an official Legacy server with 1.12.1.
    As I see it there's about a snowball's chance in hell of Blizzard actually going back to a Vanilla style design philosophy for live and a much better chance of them actually releasing a legacy server. I'd love linear progression in single difficulty raids with fixed size instances that are designed specifically for that group size, ie. BC style 10 and 25 mans etc. I'd love to see LFD removed and LFR staying a tier behind the latest raid. But I think I have a better chance of hitting the lottery without buying a ticket than actually seeing any of this happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vichan View Post
    this. it would have to be up to blizzard's level of quality. they would also have to deal with all the people that rolled an unplayable spec wanting them fixed. And you know people would start wanting more raids/dungeons and blizzard doesn't want to have to take time working on current/future expacs to work on stuff for vanilla.
    On top of that, a lot of people are saying they would pay for it, but let's face it, at least half of them wouldn't play it unless it were for free
    You also have to consider this: what if Blizzard did make it and it completely bombed, millions of dollars and thousands of hours that could have been put to working on legion or any of their other games. It's also not like they could take them down if they did bomb after they introduced them, the butthurt from the people that bitched and moaned for them(that probably wouldn't even play them) would never end
    I don't know if I would play Vanilla, even if it was for free for regular subbed players. I would constantly feel that there is something missing, I would know that my characters would never be able to get further. I could imagine an insane grind over a year or something to get the black AQ mount, for example, or to get the ZG mounts, but besides these mounts, there is nothing in Vanilla to catch me. I have been playing Classic for about a year, and I have some fond memories about this period in the game (but also some bad memories as well). I would not want to replay Classic, because I do not have this "virgin state of mind" from years ago.

I would rather want Blizzard to improve current WoW, to restore some of the good aspects of the game without removing some other features that they have created and which I enjoy. This is highly subjective, of course. I would dearly miss flying, I would even miss pet battles, a feature which I first hated when it was introduced, but now get some enjoyment out of it. But I am an open-minded person, and I reserve my final justice for the time when I have experienced something, not before the experience. And I don't want to be caught in a time-bubble like some Groundhog day. I also don't mind content draughts - when their length is reasonable. 6 months are ok, because many people progress not that fast, or have multiple characters to progress. One year is bearable, if you have other things to do besides progress - collecting things, roleplay and social events. More than a year is too much. Now if I think that my characters on the Vanilla server would be stuck in one time-frame forever... no, thanks.

I don't what I find more hilarious the fact that the discussion have trainwrecked much further without being killed off than I think anyone expected or the amount of melodramatic people in this thread who acts like blizzard just butchered their entire family.. Jeez louise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shifuren View Post
    Here we come with some real numbers, finally!
    1st point is: Classic servers are more popular and in demand than ENTIRE games which are very-very popular also, and profitable. Blizz don't even need to develop anything really new to get these subscribers. Most of you are blind by high numbers that WoW always had, but forgot that many, many games around there have a lot less, but still have their niche.

2nd point is: current WoW sub numbers do not represent active players (strange but true). WoW-census, many years being a trustful site to measure population is showing some real numbers here:
    789k active players in last 30 days on NA servers total according to http://warcraftrealms.com/realmstats.php
    500k active players in last 30 days on EU servers (excluding Russia, but there is not so much here) total according to http://warcraftrealms.com/eu_realmstats.php
    So, in total we do have around 1,3 mil active players in past month,even if you double them (counting Russia and China), 150k players on one single Nost is pretty big chunk of it, let alone others less known.

3rd point is well known Everquest and Runescape classic servers which came to reality after almost same accident that we have now with Nost.
    Now, how many of these players would pay a sub for a Vanilla server? How many would play if a Vanilla server would be included in their standard sub? How many would play if Vanilla would be F2P with a cash shop?

Finally, you should compare a MMO-RPG to other, similar games in the market, not to some casual games. Vanilla was more casual than other veteran MMO-RPGs out there, but compared to today's games, it was grindy and tedious. I don't think that you would attract new people there if it would not be F2P and not recommended by a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Tart View Post
    Blizzard have got themselves in way to deep to make those changes now. Could you imagine the uproar of the modern warcraft player if they actually had to search for other players again. The only solution is a trial vanilla server to put this to bed once and for all.
    The real problem is that putting all the social tools back in the game doesn't really improve the developers' CV. If they build a new system, like garrisons and shipyard, they can slap that into their CV when its time to find another job. But if the core of your success is that you have global chat, that doesn't take much effort to code. So Blizzard developers are motivated to NOT believe the secret of their success is social play because that just hurts their CV.

Anything that doesn't really help their CV is a low priority / too much work / too difficult to code / unpopular.

The developers are motivated to believe that subs are down because they haven't discovered the Next Great Game Mechanic because the answer is for them to get creative, find it, and build it into the game. THAT pads their CV. So they will continue to ignore just making it social again and keep building new mechanics. So you wind up with Legion where they haven't fixed the social tools at ALL but have built 3-4 entirely new systems like Legendary weapons, PvP ranks, and guild halls.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    As I see it there's about a snowball's chance in hell of Blizzard actually going back to a Vanilla style design philosophy for live and a much better chance of them actually releasing a legacy server. I'd love linear progression in single difficulty raids with fixed size instances that are designed specifically for that group size, ie. BC style 10 and 25 mans etc. I'd love to see LFD removed and LFR staying a tier behind the latest raid. But I think I have a better chance of hitting the lottery without buying a ticket than actually seeing any of this happen.
    I would keep LFR, it has its purpose, but increase the difficulty a bit (and require some PG achievement or something similar to enter). Besides that, there surely are too many raid difficulties.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The developers are motivated to believe that subs are down because they haven't discovered the Next Great Game Mechanic because the answer is for them to get creative, find it, and build it into the game.
    And isn't that true? Most of the playerbase want new things. Not the same 10 year old version of their game.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    I would keep LFR, it has its purpose, but increase the difficulty a bit (and require some PG achievement or something similar to enter). Besides that, there surely are too many raid difficulties.
    I'd keep LFR too. I definitely don't think it should be showing all the available content within (what is it a month? I never paid attention to LFR release schedules) of it being released. That just leads to people burning through it and unsubscribing. But Sunwell for example, kept my guild raiding 20 hours a week from the week it was released until the Wrath prepatch compared to T7 where we raided ~3 hours a week for 5 months and most of the guild quit out of boredom.
    Last edited by Shoopuf; 2016-04-11 at 12:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    I'd keep LFR too. I definitely don't think it should be showing all the available content within (what is it a month? I never paid attention to LFR release schedules) of it being released. That just leads to people burning through it and unsubscribing.
    But those people never would have subsrcibed at all anyway. Or do you think a Heroic or Mythic guild unsubs when it kills the end boss for the first time as well?

Deleted
    All the people that bought gold and gold sellers that prob had loads got rekt. rip

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Embodier View Post
    Well, either as a society we accept these laws and copyrights and TOS or we dont.
    Laws vary from country to country.
    Copyrights is something overblown in US, parts of it are ignored in other countries.
    ToS are not binding in most countries, US is exception. Even then ToS doesn't override laws.

Its not as black and white as you think it is.