Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mokapse View Post
    That's subjective to you. I thought like that too until I tried it and it was a true adventure to me. Just like back then. Of course there were also those who didn't like it as much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drpizka View Post
    Now it is you who homogenize us all. Everquest 1 and Lineage 2 were my first MMOs, but I liked vanilla wow more than them
    Well yes, I was talking about myself and I know there are a lot of others who might feel differently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    You make a lot unsubstantiated affirmations, even when facts fly in the face of them.
    (most obvious example : the very fact that plenty of people liked to play on Vanilla realms prove that they still had fun with the adventure ; amusingly, it also includes a not-inconsequential number of people who started later in WoW and had fun discovering Vanilla)
    You use the word fact a lot. Fact is most of the players on Nost didn't even get to level 30. So while some (in the ten thousands) surely enjoyed it, that is simply not a big enough number to justify an official Vanilla experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdrone View Post
    I miss giant server communities! Not crap like this: http://i.imgur.com/vF3NE0m.jpg
    So now populated servers ARE the problem? /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Oddly enough, the "official" blue posts this morning are almost closed threads about private servers and how players want vanilla servers.

Honestly, I understand why some people are not interested in them, but considering Blizzard is releasing patches for their old games, I find it utterly stupid to say there's no public. There IS a public for Vanilla Wow, there IS a public for TBC Wow, because they were completely different games. You might not be interested by this. But stop trying to shut down people who actually do want them. Nostalrius accomplished something both Blizzard and players claimed for a long time: That it was impossible to have a professional, low-maintenance server. Well, now we have proof that it's not true at all and it's possible to have one.

So yes, I DO expect Blizzard to rethink their stance on this. Contrarily to Flying/No-Flying, this will have no impact whatsoever on live servers.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

7+ Year Old Account
    funny pserwers defenders.
    Plz stop trying to say wod/legion<all old exps

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HordeFanboy View Post
    funny pserwers defenders.
    Plz stop trying to say wod/legion<all old exps
    What I said is not even close to this. What I did say is that Vanilla/TBC are a completely different game from Cataclysm+.
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    I think, the best way to test this would be a Kickstarter project where people would have to spend cash to get such an official legacy server.

But then: Would we also get one in German/French/Spanish/Russian/Portuguese/... languages as well? Or would it only be one server because the player base for the other languages would not be enough? While my English is OK, it's not my native tongue, so for RP-purposes, I would surely prefer my language.

You know, people can promise everything, as long as they are not accountable. I would not start creating a legacy server without some monetary dedication. Yes, you can probable get enough people to play such a legacy server that it would be able to pay its rent. But would this be profitable? And would it pay out in terms of customer relations, or would the people who finally get a legacy server, start to bitch about some things half a year afterwards?
    One realm per continent to start off with. Like back in the day. Realms are dying because there's too many and the a/h ratio is unbalanced because of CRZ which was just a band aid. If Blizzard decided to open up the gates, it would most likely be 1 per continent. Hopefully this storm is just the beginning and they'll see the errors of their ways.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    You know what is great about having convenience: You don't have to use it. You may possess a car, but this does not imply that you have to use it all the time.
    It doesn't really usually work that way though. Especially in a video game people will pick the easiest or most efficient way to achieve something, quick almost always wins over fun. IRL there are other factors you have to take into account such as the added benefit of exercise when picking your bike over your car for instance. In a video game but even IRL for some people it's about getting from point A to point B as fast and as easy as possible, it might not be what's best for them since you may miss out on a lot of stuff on the way but regardless that is what they will choose.

This is a fault in human nature. Giving us an option where one is the lazy route and the end result is the same is really not a choice at all as most people don't even consider the experience itself when making such a choice.

Heh, Francis has decided to weigh in.

Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-04-11 at 01:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    It doesn't really usually work that way though. Especially in a video game people will pick the easiest or most efficient way to achieve something, quick almost always wins over fun. IRL there are other factors you have to take into account such as the added benefit of exercise when picking your bike over your car for instance.
    But you just said there are other factors in a video game as well. Like the added fun of the long way to get there. And the people who want Vanilla are saying they are missing the fun adventure part of the game. It is still there, they are just not using it.

This is exactly why i never bothered to play to lvl 60 on a private server, because i knew that all that time would be for nothing because it would eventually be shut down, or a rogue GM would delete all your shit. Sometimes i log onto my lvl 60 warlock that is still decked out in tier 2.5/ tier 3 and think fondly of old memories for 5 minutes or so, then log off, that was good enough for me.

Either way it doesn't matter, Blizzard will definitely release a vanilla server before the company shuts down, whether it be in 5 years or 10 years. And it wont be for the fans, it will be for the money. I will be patiently waiting until then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    What I said is not even close to this. What I did say is that Vanilla/TBC are a completely different game from Cataclysm+.
    The core game stands separately from any expansion whatsoever. Expansions are exactly that, expansions. The core game was complete. Any expansion just added to the amount of content. Blizzard would, however unlikely but possible, open a realm for the core game ONLY. Asking for a TBC, WoTLK realm is completely ridiculous. Expansions had their run. The content they added is available on the live realms. A legacy realm would have no such content as it would be as the game was when you first purchased it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarEclipse View Post
    The core game stands separately from any expansion whatsoever. Expansions are exactly that, expansions. The core game was complete. Any expansion just added to the amount of content. Blizzard would, however unlikely but possible, open a realm for the core game ONLY. Asking for a TBC, WoTLK realm is completely ridiculous. Expansions had their run. The content they added is available on the live realms. A legacy realm would have no such content as it would be as the game was when you first purchased it.
    I think that to define the only possibilities as "pure vanilla server" is what's so problematic. Even Nostalrius planned to release a TBC server in time - where you could copy your Vanilla character as is and translate it into the new TBC server. It's basically recreating the initial progression of the game without forcing people to move on.
    Google Diversity Memo

Quote Originally Posted by LunarEclipse View Post
    Opening a vanilla realm would set a precedent for people that would want tbc/wotlk and so on....

Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    But you just said there are other factors in a video game as well. Like the added fun of the long way to get there. And the people who want Vanilla are saying they are missing the fun adventure part of the game. It is still there, they are just not using it.
    It really isn't though. Leveling up "the old fashioned way" is nothing like it used to be. Mobs die just by looking at them and you outlevel zones before you've barely set foot in them. You essentially have to tie one hand behind your back doing the iron man challenge in order to experience anything close to what it used to be.

Oddly enough, the "official" blue posts this morning are almost closed threads about private servers and how players want vanilla servers.

Honestly, I understand why some people are not interested in them, but considering Blizzard is releasing patches for their old games, I find it utterly stupid to say there's no public. There IS a public for Vanilla Wow, there IS a public for TBC Wow, because they were completely different games. You might not be interested by this. But stop trying to shut down people who actually do want them. Nostalrius accomplished something both Blizzard and players claimed for a long time: That it was impossible to have a professional, low-maintenance server. Well, now we have proof that it's not true at all and it's possible to have one.

So yes, I DO expect Blizzard to rethink their stance on this. Contrarily to Flying/No-Flying, this will have no impact whatsoever on live servers.
    I don't think anyone with a brain can say there isn't a public for Vanilla WoW.

The problem is that no one but Blizzard knows if the public for Vanilla WoW is big enough to be profitable. Particularly since Vanilla WoW is a very different game from current WoW and so its servers would require new hardware, new code and new staff to run it.

As for why they requested Nost be shut down, they have to defend their IP or they risk losing control over it. Companies are very careful about that kind of stuff, particularly when talking about their flagship IP.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    To be fair, sitting in Ironforge was a lot more exciting than sitting in a Garrison.
    I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that. Your boredom threshold was just lower 10 years ago.

Though I wouldn't really know, since I have never just sat in my garrison this expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yea ofc yes but some people dont understand this

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    It really isn't though. Leveling up "the old fashioned way" is nothing like it used to be. Mobs die just by looking at them and you outlevel zones before you've barely set foot in them. You essentially have to tie one hand behind your back doing the iron man challenge in order to experience anything close to what it used to be.
    And shat's stopping you from doing that? Especially if that would be more fun according to you?

I cannot BELIEVE how many pages this got. Do people really actually care about pirate server shutdowns or is this just the controversy du jour?

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeMiner View Post
    Or make the game objectively compelling, whatever works you know?
    You'll have to explain this idea of objectively compelling to me. Sounds kinda like an oxymoron.

Not off to a good start using being AFK in Ironforge as an example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambs View Post
    Well yes, I was talking about myself and I know there are a lot of others who might feel differently.

- - - Updated - - -

You use the word fact a lot. Fact is most of the players on Nost didn't even get to level 30. So while some (in the ten thousands) surely enjoyed it, that is simply not a big enough number to justify an official Vanilla experience.

- - - Updated - - -

So now populated servers ARE the problem? /s
    The server had only existed for a year. Let me ask you, did you play pre-TBC? It took me months to get from 1-30, then 30-50 and 50-60. By the time I had been 60 for a few months, TBC was out. Leveling takes ages and people do plenty of other things while they level which makes it take even longer. Thus, your argument is rendered completely invalid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    I don't think anyone with a brain can say there isn't a public for Vanilla WoW.

The problem is that no one but Blizzard knows if the public for Vanilla WoW is big enough to be profitable. Particularly since Vanilla WoW is a very different game from current WoW and so its servers would require new hardware, new code and new staff to run it.

As for why they requested Nost be shut down, they have to defend their IP or they risk losing control over it. Companies are very careful about that kind of stuff, particularly when talking about their flagship IP.
    Actually, Blizzard can't possibly know that because they have no way to internally test it. I think that WoD was the perfect example that their creative team aren't really in touch with the public - so to see the game drown the way it does right now is a bit concerning. To be honest, I tend to think that the reason they don't release Vanilla servers right now is because they're afraid of the potential impact it could have on their reputation - roughly translating as "our game sucks right now, so we decided to put back the original game because we can't do better".

As for the IP, sure, I understand that. What I don't understand is that they attacked the single server that had the game as is, whereas hundreds of monetized private servers exists on the side. They have to start somewhere, but I believe that going for the innocent kitten is utterly stupid and doesn't help your IP and public perception in the slightest.
    Google Diversity Memo