Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    There was another thread to donate for the servers. Not the ultra secret hidden one.
    That was a direct link to the providers website. There was 0 way for Nost to get any of that money.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    I agree that CMs job is bad, having to deal with a lot of angry people from both side isn't easy. Don't get me wrong on that. But if I made a poll about "your best non-flying memories?" One week after Blizzard announced they were getting rid of flying, I'm pretty sure it would pour oil on the fire.
    The problem is that with emotions as raw as they are right now, anything they posted would be considered a slap in the face by the people upset by the Nostalrius controversy, precisely because it wasn't about Nostalrius. A poll about your favorite weapons? People get annoyed because it reminds them of the Vanilla weapons. A poll about how much you play? People get upset because they spent so much time on Nostalrius and it was all for naught. A poll about your favorite transmog set? Here comes the griping about how gear looked awesome in Vanilla. It goes on and on.

They can't win, so they just have to keep on working.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Quote Originally Posted by mokapse View Post
    We have reports of a hidden donation link that had a limit of 300euros a month when the servers cost 500e+.
    No, we have proof of a donation link and a owner of the sites word on a limit. Which I won't believe there's a limit until they show us proof. There's actually a good chance they're lying about it and making a profit. Considering they were cool with pirating shit that didn't belong to them in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Don't see how the fact that WoW isn't a book change anything about the stupidity of claiming "if it's new, it's better" and arguing that people have a moral imperative to like newer things over older. You have no case here.

I find it deliciously ironic you point at how an existing law was obviously immoral in a thread where 90 % of the arguments loop around "it's illegal so it's immoral"
    Noone said that b/c it's new it's better (hint, vanilla was garbage mechanically, people just love the memories), I said adapt or quit.

I could care less about other people's arguments. My argument is simple. The game evolved. Evolve or quit playing. If you don't want to play WoD, that's fine, but classic wow's era has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    It doesn't matter where the money went, they took donations for the service they were providing. Even if they were only attempting to break even they were taking in income for someone else's work.
    Actually they didn't took donation themselves, they just directed to the host.
    I'm also sure that renting for 300€ a month is the new definition of "profiteering" and should deserve at least a 10-years sentence. If the jury feels inclined to mercy. People who dare to give something that is no more on sales are the scum of the Earth and AT least as bad as murderers. Renting a server for an abandonware game should be elevated to Crimes Against Humanity and rated only slightly lower than genocide in International Courts of Justice. Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Syrith View Post
    You're wrong. People didn't play there because it was free, people played there because it was vanilla. The same people will continue to play on a classic realm should it ever happen even with a sub. Also you're just digging your own grave at this point.
    People play on private servers because it's free AND it's what they want to play, base line. Would this mean people would pay for (on average) a subpar experience on private servers? Never, not at all. Nost is an exception and it certainly raised the bar on quality (apparently) when compared to everyone else, for its popularity. Regardless though, people don't just play because of the content -- but because it's free. This is a huge factor as to why private servers are even able to garner a population worth noting.

I could be 100% wrong and there would be similar individuals playing on this server if it required you to pay for the private server, but no one really knows as of yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    I agree that CMs job is bad, having to deal with a lot of angry people from both side isn't easy. Don't get me wrong on that. But if I made a poll about "your best non-flying memories?" One week after Blizzard announced they were getting rid of flying, I'm pretty sure it would pour oil on the fire.
    Have you ever thought about the upcoming Cata Timewalk and that they only want to promote this?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Yeah all this censorship and refusal to even make an official statement about the situation doesn't look good.
    Preventing people from speaking their mind on a topic they feel very strongly about have never turned out well. It's 1984 at its core.
    Blizzard has made a detailed statement about it in the past. There's no need for them to rehash the subject every time they take down a private server. If they leave one thread open they aren't censoring anything. They are directing the idiots who want to make new threads to post in the consolidated one. That makes it easier for Blizzard to pass on the feedback you're trying to communicate to them.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

11,5 to 12 actually. Despite the claims that WotLK was the peak "because it reached the most subs", it can be alternatively seen as WotLK being the moment WoW nearly stopped growing.

Uncoincidentally, it's also the moment the design changed completely and Kaplan left with his design to let the new team start shitting with its new design.
    I've been saying for years that Wrath was the downfall of WoW. Made it way to casual and completely destroyed the social aspect of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    he has a valid point, how much content is there to do in vanilla? now how much of that content people have played through already? vanilla realm simply doesnt look like it could prosper long-term, considering there would be zero patces ever, most people interested in vanilla would finish the content in a couple of months and considering vanilla had very little replayability, those people would just... leave. it simply wouldnt be worth it for blizzard.
    They could just input the original bugs, for flavour.
    Unkillable C'thun? Sure.

Deleted
    Actually they didn't took donation themselves, they just directed to the host.
    I'm also sure that renting for 300€ a month is the new definition of "profiteering" and should deserve at least a 10-years sentence. If the jury feels inclined to mercy. People who dare to give something that is no more on sales are the scum of the Earth and AT least as bad as murderers. Renting a server for an abandonware game should be elevated to Crimes Against Humanity and rated only slightly lower than genocide in International Courts of Justice. Amen.
    WoW is not abandonware. There are plenty of official servers running.

Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    Noone said that b/c it's new it's better (hint, vanilla was garbage mechanically, people just love the memories), I said adapt or quit.
    Saying "adapt or quit" is the very definition as having an imperative to like newer stuff over older. Because ? Well, because ! That's such a convincing argument.

Also, saying "you don't like the game, you just like the memories" to people who're playing the game right, many of them for the first time, is comically clownish.
    I could care less about other people's arguments. My argument is simple. The game evolved. Evolve or quit playing. If you don't want to play WoD, that's fine, but classic wow's era has passed.
    Your argument is simple, but completely stupid. It basically says "newer is better, just because I said so". That's a baseless affirmation, not an actual argument in fact.
    Last edited by Akka; 2016-04-11 at 03:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    "Blizzard should just make legacy realms, how hard can it be?"

This topic shows exactly how naive people can be.

Should they also have GM support? Bug fixing? New content? Balance-changes?

Or maybe people should realize that once these legacy realms has an official Blizzard stamp on it, everyone would expect it to be treated professionally. And that is a shit ton more expensive than what "a team of volunteers could achieve". How will they turn back all the behind-the-scenes changes, such as how combat used to be (400ms updates whaddup)? How would they price it?

This discussion is so disgustingly reliant on emotions.
    It's easy to speak in hypotheticals, when there are no official legacy realms. But the shit storm that'd arise if there were would be a spectacular view.

Someone needs to open a ticket, "sorry, we don't support legacy realms."?
    Overpowered classes? "No can do, we don't do balance changes on legacy."?
    No new content coming, ever? "Well it's what you wanted, legacy content?"
    No bug fixes?? "Glory days, eh."

Because no, they aren't going to quadruple their staff just so you can sit in Ironforge and yell how much better it is than Live.
    But apparently one has to be a developer to understand what a metric shit ton of logistics and amount of work it'd be to "just boot up a few old expansion realms" when it's now a proper triple-A project, and not a bunch of enthusiasts doing it for free on the side.

Official legacy realms would be NOTHING like you'd expect it to be.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2016-04-11 at 03:34 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    he has a valid point, how much content is there to do in vanilla? now how much of that content people have played through already? vanilla realm simply doesnt look like it could prosper long-term, considering there would be zero patces ever, most people interested in vanilla would finish the content in a couple of months and considering vanilla had very little replayability, those people would just... leave. it simply wouldnt be worth it for blizzard.
    Sorry, I refuse to pay for the current and what I'm seeing future version of WoW. It stopped being a RPG in Cata and stopped being a MMO in Warlords.

I play on PSs, purely because the version of the game I want to play isn't available to me otherwise.

I would gladly pay a reservation fee and 15 a month for Classic, BC, or Wrath. Seriously Blizzard, shut up and take my money. I want to give it to you, I've been begging to give it to you since the end of Cata.

There are tens of thousands of us out there, we will pay for the game. PSs being free has nothing to do with it for a lot of us. We want to give you money, you just keep refusing to take it.
    Once we gathered friends together, drank a ton of Mountain Dew and beer, and role played with paper, pencils, and books.
    Now I log onto MMOs with the same people and we only talk about how hard we PWNed that: Noob, boss, etc.
    I hate modern gaming....

15+ Year Old Account
    We have reports of a hidden donation link that had a limit of 300euros a month when the servers cost 500e+.
    There's a clear post on the forums that they removed the hidden donation link. If their forums are still up which they were on Friday.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    WoW is not abandonware. There are plenty of official servers running.
    WoW WoD is not. WoW Vanilla is. You can play dumb and pretend they are the same, but not even Blizzard dare to be as intellectually dishonest.

I think Blizzard should give us Vanilla servers, however it should be locked down to people who has an old enough account to have actually played and experienced that content when it was current. Rather then allow random people who have no reason of wanting it to be able to play.

That was a direct link to the providers website. There was 0 way for Nost to get any of that money.
    Yet that was a way for nos to use funds to power up the servers from the providers.

It sounds like getting paid and having it auto directed to you biller.........

I get why people are raged about losing their characters but just let the dust settle and move on to the next one that emerges. Thinking this server going down is going to kill the wow vanilla scene is on par with thinking napster going down killed mp3 distribution, lol

Personally i'm not interested in vanilla wow but if you are, you'll be back in business in a few weeks im sure.

15+ Year Old Account
    11,5 to 12 actually. Despite the claims that WotLK was the peak "because it reached the most subs", it can be alternatively seen as WotLK being the moment WoW nearly stopped growing.

Uncoincidentally, it's also the moment the design changed completely and Kaplan left with his design to let the new team start shitting with its new design.
    It actually stopped growing mid LK. The only reason we saw the record number was because LK was finally approved for release in China that Sept/October. This balanced out the sub churn that happens during the year lull between expansions. So LK hits China, Cata is then released in both in December. We hit the new record and then the entire world gets bored of Cata and we lose millions at once. Staggered releases actually helped sub numbers even if it wasn't on purpose.