We're having solid discussions in here. Calm down mini-mods.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    All these videos are just promoting illegal activities.

Maybe you would pay, however there are many others that only played because it was free.
    And many that would only play if they were "legal." Stop making stupid one sided points, they help no one.

Deleted
    600 pages of replys

nobody wants to play on a vanilla server.

You think you do, but you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamza View Post
    606 pages. Come on mods nothing new or constructive can be said in this one now.
    I don't see flaming. It's a discussion. Again, don't like it? Just don't click it.

Deleted
    Previous post got locked, so here another Legacy Realm concept:

Wall of text inc.

Dear Blizzard, dear WoW Community.

I am a long time WoW player, and I feel the pull to nostalgia. I have always played on the official Servers because I value Blizzards Server stability,
    maintenance and customer support highly and Blizzard has always done a great job in running their Servers, "The Blizzard Security" as I like to call it.
    This is one of the reasons why i never joined a third party Server.
    And I don't want to join a "private" server any time soon because of these reasons, but since Cataclysm i really feel the pull to the old game.
    The game i first started in 2004, the burning crusade afterwards, and then the wrath of our beloved lich king.
    I feel the urge to play the old versions and to be clear, I am willing to pay to be able to play them. Of course on Blizzards part,
    there is some work to be done, in fact a lot of work to be done. But it's worth it, not all players playing on live will ditch live because of Legacy, they will play both, as new content is always a reason to come back, it's something Legacy can NOT provide.
    As we have seen in the recent days, it looks like a lot of other WoW veterans or newcomers want to experience the same as I stated above
    and if we could have that WITH "The Blizzard Security" man that'd be as great as can be.

So I present to Blizzard a -Legacy- Server concept.

This concept tries to provide a "Blizzard Security" experience for players over a long period of time, all while paying for itself. Yay.

Let's get to the core values:

1. 3 Different Realms, Classic, The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King
    2. All realms on the latest patch for their "expansion".
    3. You can start a new character on any Realm.
    4. You need at least a battle chest to play Legacy.
    5. Subscription fees are the same as live.
    6. If you have a running subscription you don't need another one.
    7. For the beginning get rid of all "new" out of the game features, like mount shop, game time tokens, etc.. (This could maybe be brought in at a later stage, if the community wants it
    this is a point where Blizzard should do what it did best in the early years: Listen to the community, just like Mr. Kaplan and his team does with Overwatch all the time.)

So with this out of the way, let's go deeper.

First of all, just a few days ago we saw the confirmation that a vanilla Server on its own, with a running subscription would be able to maintain itself,
    regarding running costs and maintenance fees, I think this is pretty clear to all of us.

So what makes -Legacy- special?

-Legacy- evolves. How? Every 6 Months, players get the chance to advance to the next expansion. Every 6 Months if you login with a character on your realm, you get to
    choose, with each character if you want to advance to the next expansion. This option is available for ALL characters on a realm at the same time, every 6 Months, to secure
    a seamless experience with other players in the starting zones.

Yes, you can start a fresh level 1 on each respective expansion realm to experience your favorite game, but advancing like this gives the special feeling of going further
    with YOUR character. Feel like you've accomplished everything in Vanilla? Go further with YOUR character. You've defeated Kil'Jaeden multiple times and the Burning Crusade is over? You can go on!
    You value YOUR character higher, you more or less bond with it, creating a sense of story progression, character progression, etc. We all love new expansions launches of course
    for the new content, but I believe also for advancing further, to get to the next chapter.
    And that's what it is about in an RPG right? Feeling and identifying yourself with your characters.

So advancing is of course possible from Classic to TBC and from TBC to WotLK, you can not go back, advancing is a final decision.

Every expansion after Legion adds another expansion to Legacy. So with the expansion after Legion, Cataclysm will be added and so on.

I think that basically sums it up pretty much, I have some more ideas floating in my head, but the baseline is written down and it'S already a wall of text
    What do you guys think? Any improvements? More ideas?

On a final note:

We don't want to harm you Blizzard, we want to experience something we loved so many years ago legally with your advantages and most important of all: with your support.
    Not against each other, but with each other.

TL;DR: Add an Advancement system to progress through expansions with your character. Read core values. We love you Blizzard, WoW dev Team, listen to your community again please.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Because the mods are infallible right?

Show me a post where the mods said it was "fine to keep open" and I'll let it go.

If the mods aren't going to squash this garbage someone else needs to.
    Mods are the only ones that can squash it.

Also, the first page has a global mod. The other mods are somewhere within the 600 pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    You can't just keep screaming ENTITLED and expect me to give up the opinion that I want a product that happened to exist 12 years ago, but doesn't today because of a callous developer.
    Well some people grow up and learn that they CANT have everything they want while others continue to live in a my pony world

Quote Originally Posted by vaenror View Post
    Previous post got locked, so here another Legacy Realm concept:

(Snip)
    One of the main arguments against vanilla servers is the cost and complexity of recreating the experience for a reasonable cost.

This is infinitely more complex.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosdrone View Post
    We're having solid discussions in here. Calm down mini-mods.
    Haha I like your name. How did you know Nos will release in 2011? A conspiracy I say!

I would like for Blizzard to take what Jagex did. They had a public poll that anyone with an account could vote on. 50k meant it'll launch and more had stretch goals for smaller member pay, more support etc. It ended with 450k votes and now they have at least 100k members in it with a new team developing it. Maybe require WoW license to vote or something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Altear View Post
    I wonder what all these guys so anti vanilla will say/do once Blizz inevitably release classic servers. Going to be funny af
    I wonder what all these guys so pro vanilla will say/do once Blizz inevitably does not release a classic servers ever. Going to be funny af.
    Oh wait it allready is

Deleted
    Regardless of what version of WOW you prefere, they stole Blizzards property and they have every reason to shut them down. Should Blizzard make their own vanilla servers? Possibly yes. But it's their property, they can do what they like with it. I agree the current live game is pretty shit. But I do like that each expansion brings in new changes essentially wiping the slate, I would like to play vanilla again for the memories but It's been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamza View Post
    606 pages. Come on mods nothing new or constructive can be said in this one now.
    It's still probably better to leave a mega-thread open to contain it all until people run out of steam. Otherwise it'll be the same things said here, but constantly popping up in fresh threads until the forums reach critical mass and explode from the drama.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Mods are the only ones that can squash it.

Also, the first page has a global mod. The other mods are somewhere within the 600 pages.
    And as I mentioned I have PMed mods regarding its closure.

Keeping the thread alive for hits... is shameful.

Ignoring the forum rules for the sake of "discussion" will only lead to worse infractions.

All these other threads being created right now... that are getting closed. Are because people feel like they aren't being heard 600 pages into THIS thread. So they start a new thread, little do they know their point isn't new or provocative, its been said many times even BEFORE this thread. By not closing this thread which is quite obviously against forum rules, the mods are creating more work for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    I believe he is saying that a lot of people want the game to be less difficult in the end game and that the 1% who play mythic can get over it.
    While the ppl wanting Vanilla servers are the same amount of people who want mythic and does mythic....idk just a guess.
    This is no insult to you, but I still don't understand what his point was nor do I follow what it is you're saying. I appreciate you trying to interpret what he was saying / what exactly his point was, but I'm not sure the nail has been hit on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Uhm if we go by sub count, Wrath was when it skyrocketed to 12 mil but ok.
    wrath was great. vanilla was not. tbc raiding also great, again vanilla was not l.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    And as I mentioned I have PMed mods regarding its closure.

Keeping the thread alive for hits... is shameful.

Ignoring the forum rules for the sake of "discussion" will only lead to worse infractions.

All these other threads being created right now... that are getting closed. Are because people feel like they aren't being heard 600 pages into THIS thread. So they start a new thread, little do they know there point isn't new or provocative, its been said many times even BEFORE this thread. By not closing this thread which is quite obviously against forum rules, the mods are creating more work for themselves.
    Lecturing the mods is a bit pedantic.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

ridiculous action by blizzard, to shut nostalrius down. this server was a great project for people who do not want to play retail because of all the changes it has gone through. the active playerbase of nostalrius shows clearly that theres a lot of people who are interested in a server like this, and no, its not just nostalgia. and even if it is, these people played on this server because they loved it, because it was fun for them and because that was the type of server that they wanted to play on. nobody forced them to. and no, they are surely not going to subscribe to retail because their server has been shut down.

way to go, blizzard, way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
    ridiculous action by blizzard, to shut nostalrius down. this server was a great project for people who do not want to play retail because of all the changes it has gone through. the active playerbase of nostalrius shows clearly that theres a lot of people who are interested in a server like this, and no, its not just nostalgia. and even if it is, these people played on this server because they loved it, because it was fun for them and because that was the type of server that they wanted to play on. nobody forced them to. and no, they are surely not going to subscribe to retail because their server has been shut down.

way to go, blizzard, way to go.
    Again, nothing of value was lost. A few 1000 kids were playing a free version of stolen intellectual property of the absolute shittiest version of a game which has been worked on for 12 years. Whether people think WoW is better now or then is completely and entirely irrelevant. Kids are playing the game for FREE which, as we know, is against the law. That's all that matters here, folks. Blizzard didn't shut it down in hopes of getting 2,000 more subscribers lol. How can people not understand things which are so basic and simple.

Blizzard should have added Legacy servers to April 1st list, then shut down Nost, so at least they thought there would have been truth to it, and this wouldn't have blown up.. Just gone away like it should have for the last 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Blizzard has made a detailed statement about it in the past. There's no need for them to rehash the subject every time they take down a private server. If they leave one thread open they aren't censoring anything. They are directing the idiots who want to make new threads to post in the consolidated one. That makes it easier for Blizzard to pass on the feedback you're trying to communicate to them.
    Only current subs can post in there though so those wanting to come back if legacy servers were to be implemented are being silenced, told to pay if they want an opinion on the matter.