Sigh. I wish that stupid "you think you do but you don't" meme would just die already.

It's not Blizzard's official policy. It was one guy who works for Blizzard speaking off-the-cuff on a panel. Don't take his word as freaking gospel. Lore has said he'd love to try out Classic realms if he could, but that doesn't mean Blizzard is implementing those either. Learn to differentiate between the actions of the individual from the group's stance on a subject.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    Whoever quoted the above thread title; no, MMORPG players generally aren't divided on what an MMORPG should be. WoW players are divided on what WoW should be; there's a difference. WoW incorporates many other demographics that inherently would not like, or don't even know what an MMORPG, in reality, looks like.

The above title is also bullshit; re: Commander of the faction in WoD; Every ret paladin is the Ashbringer in Legion; Everybody is a Hero; also re: class homogenization.

Terrible argument.

Blizzard looked at the metrics and said, hey, it's cheaper for us to sue Nostalrius, than to continue to let them do their thing out of their own free time, with no profit involved on their part.

Nostalrius stole nothing significant Blizzard. Blizzard stole their passion, their time and effort.
    It's almost like you don't understand what an IP is

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    2 weeks ago if you mentioned this server by name your thread would have been closed, and/or received an infraction. Now we are allowing a thread dedicated to it go 600 pages? On top of that we are allowing the advertising of a third party petition?

What is going on?
    The mods are afraid of what'd happen if they silenced a 10k+ discussion. Turns out, legacy servers should be discussed, beyond the regular dinguses pointing to that fucking pretentious 'wall of no'.

It's almost like you don't understand what an IP is
    KEYWORD: SIGNIFICANT

Blizzard did not lose money over Nostalrius.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl the Cuck View Post
    I'm the worlds biggest Nos fan but there is a problem with this video:

Blizzard Entertainment didn't say "You think you do, but you don't"... J. Allen Brack did.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    This is kind of brilliant if its true, I am genuinly now really curious as to what Blizzards move will be, they cant just ignore it, but they probably dont want to encourage it either.

Just report him and move on, hes willing to risk an infraction just to derail, get the thread closed and have his way.
    What's brilliant about it? All they do is just further mess with legitimate customers having legitimate issues.

These people have no shame.

Deleted
    Blizzard Entertainment didn't say "You think you do, but you don't"... J. Allen Brack did.
    Brack is speaking on behalf of Blizzard, at BlizzCon of all places. Did the company retract that statement? Hell no.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Just food for thought... the last time a team invested a good deal of time, energy, and resources and blizzard took legal action. We ended up with Riot which produced League of Legends which has an active player count well above anything Blizzard has going.

So you guys want vanilla servers... I'm hoping these guys just go and create a better mmo... nothing says "FUCK YOU!" better than competition.
    werent the guys who made WoW Everquest players and wanted to make the MMO they wanted I remember that from a retrospective of Game trailers so yea they should make their own MMO but yea work is hard and we have Wildstar to see how well a "hardcore" mmo does in todays market.

10+ Year Old Account
    The mods are afraid of what'd happen if they silenced a 10k+ discussion. Turns out, legacy servers should be discussed, beyond the regular dinguses pointing to that fucking pretentious 'wall of no'.

KEYWORD: SIGNIFICANT

Blizzard did not lose money over Nostalrius.
    Yeah, I agree with this.

At this point I'm just waiting for Blizzard to say something about the move.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    How about you search the 40 times people have asked verbatim that question and then were answered as to why it would be questionable to absorb those that are running a game that is against your eula.

Also way to sound objective while throwing a backhanded slight at retail. That will get you far.
    So you are effectively smoke screening good questions with a EULA because you have the moral high ground. When in reality it does nothing for the state of the game ot ignore the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You're now trying to argue that fingers are people. And you expect me to take your argument seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I did walk up to a truck once and whispered, "I know your secret... Optimus Prime..

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    If people were expecting this spec to work it was not even a true Vanilla server?

Druid-Pally tanks were never viable in Vanilla WoW until very late in the patch cycle, and even then you had to have very specific gear.

Sure there were some high end guilds that used them for certain encounters, however they had gear funneled to them.
    That isn't what I'm talking about. I'm asking what things didn't function properly at all on that PS.

Brack is speaking on behalf of Blizzard, at BlizzCon of all places. Did the company retract that statement? Hell no.
    I don't care about the semantics of all that.

Would prefer if the video called out J. Allen Brack directly on his BS.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Jencsik View Post
    - Why not just absorb the creators of nostralius into blizzard & make it apart of the official servers? I mean then people would have less to complain about when it comes to content. After i finish my main raiding and all of the 5 minutes live has to offer with content, i can head over to a vanilla server and spend time trying to do old content.
    No, absorbing them means you are essentially slapping the Blizzard logo on it, and once it becomes a Blizzard service all kinds of demands will arise. Don't kid yourself.

I mean, did your opinion on Blizzard change when individuals like Ghostcrawler left or Ion Hazzikostas and the other hardcore raiders and theorycrafters started working for Blizzard? No, it's all the same company to you.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Well you've already lost the bet considering Nost was up for roughly 6, and if we have to sub it would be part of our current sub so sure I'd play both, but your statement is kind of meaningless without anything to back it up other than personal dislike for the idea.

I too hope we get them, but I would have been just as happy if Blizzard left Nost alone, or worked with them to secure their brand. The solution is never brute force.
    Lol the solution is never brute force when you have private groups of people producing free versions of a game entirely based off of a product of your invention? Sorry, but those maintaing Nost deserved no right to be worked with. Blizzard has the full right to decide what to do with their product & if that means preventing others from trying to reproduce it unofficial then the banhammer comes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    Blizzard didnt have to redevelop a game for those low pop realms. Good comparison.
    And Blizzard should offer "AS IS" with a sub fee, they want it so bad, give it to them, charge them money for old broken shit, if they cry take it away.

Requirements: The game, with all current expansions, and sub. Legacy offered as a cherry on top.

I'd love to watch this legacy boat sink.

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Blizzard: "Great idea! Let's maintain 3 or 4 different versions of WoW running simultaneously while we can barely keep up with retail. What could possibly go wrong?"
    What a stupid statement. Blizzard subs are way down. There are servers with no playerbase. People have been up in arms since Cataclysm about the direction this game is going, but the problem is Blizzard won't listen to their customers.

It has nothing to do with their ability to run servers.

Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post
    everyone who played on nost would pay to have it back... we didnt play because it was free we played because we wanted the world of warcraft we used to know back.. the game that inspired community not destroyed it.
    Everyone? You sure about that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    What's brilliant about it? All they do is just further mess with legitimate customers having legitimate issues.

These people have no shame.
    It isn't part of Activision's business model at all...

I am not saying it is all Activision they are one company after all. But they make games for MILLIONS of people not THOUSANDS.

So you are effectively smoke screening good questions with a EULA because you have the moral high ground. When in reality it does nothing for the state of the game ot ignore the community.
    You got that out of what I said. Your question has been asked 100 times. Blizzard is not everquest. WoW is still doing well, not as well as it has in the past but it is still the highest subscriber mmo out there. Blizzard does not have to rely on people who made an illegal version of their product to sustain their current one, especially with an expansion soon to surface.

I'm not smokescreening, you just refuse to read or even search.

The next question you ponder will also have been asked a thousand times. So search that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

Well you've already lost the bet considering Nost was up for roughly 6, and if we have to sub it would be part of our current sub so sure I'd play both, but your statement is kind of meaningless without anything to back it up other than personal dislike for the idea.

I too hope we get them, but I would have been just as happy if Blizzard left Nost alone, or worked with them to secure their brand. The solution is never brute force.
    It was up for free, ffs..

I have a Couple* questions:

- Why not just absorb the creators of nostralius into blizzard & make it apart of the official servers? I mean then people would have less to complain about when it comes to content. After i finish my main raiding and all of the 5 minutes live has to offer with content, i can head over to a vanilla server and spend time trying to do old content.
    Because the creators of Nostalrius didn't work with a Blizzard product. They worked with an unofficial emulator based on source code that was leaked/stolen from Blizzard way back (in 2004, I think?). Bringing Nostalrius' creators into the fold would require training them to work with the official tools and adjusting them to the development culture inside Blizzard, which would add a lot of time and money to the development costs. Plus, we don't even know if the folks who ran Nostalrius would even pass a proper job interview at Blizzard, or whether they'd be willing to move away from Europe and over to the US (where Blizzard's development studio is).

A less direct reason is that walking up to the guys who were running your game illegally and offering them a job is terrible precedent. It validates the efforts of people setting up private servers, because "hey, if Nostalrius did it, why shouldn't I try it myself?!". Private servers stop being seen as illegal enterprises and start getting the image of being pools of possible talent to be hired by Blizzard, which I'm 100% is the last thing Blizzard wants them to be.

- Obviously, Blizzard has been lacking content and charging as more for it. Why is it such a bad thing that these servers exist? Subscription numbers have been bleeding for the last 3 expansions. As a company wouldn't it be best to recognize the drop in player activity & actively do something about it? I mean look at the state of the game right now. We will be sitting in HFC until September...You mean to tell me instead of offering more content it's better to do nothing and watch sub numbers deplete? At least in this case people when they are bored can head over to legacy servers instead of being upset with the lack of content.
    No idea. I'm not against Classic/Vanilla/Retro servers. I just don't think it's going to happen, for purely monetary reasons. Classic servers would be the equivalent of creating a brand new MMO. The only thing they'd be able to reuse are the art assets, and even some of those have changed/become very dated over the years. That involves some seriously big development costs, plus the maintenance costs. Because any official server, Classic or not, would absolutely require a support infrastructure behind it with GMs, customer support, programmers and all that jazz.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.