Quote Originally Posted by orderschvank View Post
    of course i didnt talk to 150k people. but all the people i did talk to said they would pay for it. which would suggest that a majority of the 150k would pay for it as well.. you know that is how studies work..

if a study interviewed 6000 people and found that 98% of people interviewed preferred shaking hands to grabbing each others genitals as a formal greeting. would you disagree with the study?

and of course there are people who wouldnt pay for vanilla, but they are most likely not apart of the nost community. i am speaking for the nost community not everyone
    Then why did you say "everyone" when you actually only meant a handful of people?

People can say one thing and do another. I don't believe people, who have the option of playing for free, will suddenly pay for it when they had no inclination of paying before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Deleted
    of course i didnt talk to 150k people. but all the people i did talk to said they would pay for it. which would suggest that a majority of the 150k would pay for it as well.. you know that is how studies work..

if a study interviewed 6000 people and found that 98% of people interviewed preferred shaking hands to grabbing each others genitals as a formal greeting. would you disagree with the study?

and of course there are people who wouldnt pay for vanilla, but they are most likely not apart of the nost community. i am speaking for the nost community not everyone
    How many are all the people you talked to.. We are still missing that number to make a decision. If you talked to 50 people. I would not, by any means agree with that study,

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    Given the amount of players currently on live retail, I'm sure they can spare a few dozen server blades :')

The cost comes in the form of them having to re-engineer their serverside code, not simply hosting the server. And the former is only an issue because they purportedly refused to back up their code in the first place.
    It was discussed to death in this thread, where does it stop, a pve realm ? a pvp one ? what about RP and what about all the regions, Australians wouldnt want to pay 15/month so they can play with 500ms.

So its not 1-2 servers than but a couple of dozen, can NA alone fill a legacy server so that its profitable ?, can the EU ?, what about russia ?.

And that in my opinion is the reason that thats not going to happen as long as WoW in its current form is profitable to blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    Yeah, I agree with this.

At this point I'm just waiting for Blizzard to say something about the move.
    Nostralius was using Blizz IP without Blizz having no control of their way of using it. This is (imo) why they hunt private servers. They might keep it untouched, but they could do anything that you could think of.

Example:
    Nostralius GM's decide for April Fools joke to switch all weaponmodels ingame into sex toys (I think we all know what swords would be). Blizz wouldn't be able to stop this in any way. Every gaming website would report on how 'WoW private server is filled with dicks'. But people who dont know about private servers and such would only read 'Blizzard game is filled with dicks'. And this kind of publicity would destroy Blizz. "Im not gonna buy anything from dildozzard." etc.

I know this is highly unlikely situation, but its possible. Or any other situation of this kind. Why in their right minds would Blizz risk their biggest source of income when they can just prevent anything like that in the first place.

Deleted
    You don't know shit about the cost to running a game, yet you feel like you have the authority to say they can do it? GTFO!
    Given Nostalrius could host 150k active; if Blizzard can't afford to run a similar thing; it's because of one reason; there are far, far more people that are interested in classic servers, than those which simply played on Nost.

And given the amount of $ Nostalrius took to run those servers, in line with their numbers, yeh. I have a slight, slight impulse to say that the company that grossed over $20 billion from WoW alone, can afford to host a few legacy servers.

..And given Jagex already did it years ago with 2007scape, because THEY BACKED UP THEIR CODE; I'd be disappointed if Blizzard continue with the shitty ROI mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeline10 View Post
    This may be the silliest argument I've ever heard. I don't even know how to respond. So because Mythic, which requires coordination and 20 people.. I.. just don't even know how to respond since this is so illogical. What exactly is your point? How does removing Mythic have anything to do at all with a few thousand people (bloated 150k... laughable and a lie) playing on a private server. I just can't.. what is your point? There is zero correlation between Mythic raiding and a private server. Why did you even post this lol.
    Doesn't matter what it is - the player participation for a mode, across all realms - is similar to the population of a realm. If your argument for not introducing these type of servers was merely on the amount of players these would attract, why are you okay with a mode that, factually, is catered to hell and back with unique rewards and perks, that holds the same amount of people?

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    We can point to private servers for proof there's people interested in a free game, anything outside that is pure guesswork from either side.
    It's pure guesswork to say that it was just because it was free, since they had no option to pay either.

It's not like there was a choice to pay to play, or play for free, and the majority was playing for free. It was free regardless, you don't know how many people were willing to pay for it. It's pure guesswork to say that they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Quote from Mike Morhaime:

"Especially after a game gets released. I feel like it’s no longer just Blizzard’s game. We become a sort of curator for this experience that has millions of stakeholders"

Wonder if he still feels this way.
    Oh god ahah this is just so fitting ^^

JonTron weighs in;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzT8...&nohtml5=False

About sums it up. Go fuck yourself Blizzard. Retail does indeed fucking suck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyuna View Post
    JonTron weighs in;

So that makes stealing okay?

That is seriously messed up.

Yes but a 'study' becomes more accurate the larger the sample size. Sampling let's say 75 people out of 150k isn't going to give you a super accurate reading :P And I'm sorry most of us won't buy the 98% of them would pay line. You'd maybe make some believers if it was around 50%...

10+ Year Old Account
    This sucks. But I think we should also be angry about intellectual property because fuck that shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wanna993 View Post
    Obviously this is a fact as the game has never been better. /s
    It's not like some QoL changes were bad or anything...
    Millions > thousands

Its not like everyone that quit WoW immediately went looking for a vanilla experience.

If that was the case your argument might hold water... buts its not, so it doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post

That's what you got out of it?
    Now that's messed up, as that wasn't the message at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    For how long? I've seen a lot of "They had 150k active players" but they had 800k accounts made in a year. Just a year, on a free server. This doesn't strike me as staying power.
    And that is if we accept the numbers put out by Nost as truth. I have my doubts about 150k active players or the 800k number.

Deleted
    Crossing my fingers, hoping Blizzard will do the right thing here.

*Hint* Legacy Server(s) *Hint*

Quote Originally Posted by Reyuna View Post
    JonTron weighs in;

This was linked last night too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post

If you watched the video, that's not at all what JonTron actually says.
    He specifically mentions over and over again that Blizzard is well within their right. He more of says that they're within their right, but if they're not gonna meet the demand, why not let others who genuinely care about the game do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zolascius View Post
    Given Nostalrius could host 150k active; if Blizzard can't afford to run a similar thing; it's because of one reason; there are far, far more people that are interested in classic servers, than those which simply played on Nost.

And given the amount of $ Nostalrius took to run those servers, in line with their numbers, yeh. I have a slight, slight impulse to say that the company that grossed over $20 billion from WoW alone, can afford to host a few legacy servers.

..And given Jagex already did it years ago with 2007scape, because THEY BACKED UP THEIR CODE; I'd be disappointed if Blizzard continue with the shitty ROI mantra.
    Again, you don't know shit about the cost. Do you think Blizzards servers are free or even on the same level as the shit that nost had? Do you think Blizzard has people trained with the tech from the past? Do you think they have all the assets? Do you think Blizzard has people that will work for free like nost did? Do you think Blizzards investors will allow this with little to no gain for them? There are soooooooooo many additional costs that you just don't know anything about. That's also assuming 150k people playing on a FREE server will pay Blizzard. They won't and you know it(or you're just as delusional as every other nost kid).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Symmone View Post
    This sucks. But I think we should also be angry about intellectual property because fuck that shit.
    Yeah. in fact, lets abolish all laws! Anarchy! Hurray!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom2040 View Post
    I'm sure I have nothing to contribute that hasn't already been said in a thread that's this long, but I'm going throw in my $0.02 anyway.

First of all, I think it's impossible to not see where Blizzard is coming from; it's their stuff, they own the IP, it's within their prerogative to request that somebody not leverage that IP for their own thing. I would probably take the same approach if I were them.

But that said, I really hope they're taking the right lesson out of this. People are *really* frustrated with the direction they've taken WoW. They're annoyed and bored and just not engaged, to the point where they're willing to suffer through the legitimately crappy game mechanics of Vanilla just to try to experience that sort of game again.

Not that anything else needs to be said about garrisons, but they're terrible and have a really cynical Facebook-gamey kind of odor, which permeated every profession as well as the entire max-level questing structure for 6.0-6.1 (with Tanaan feeling like too little too late). But I think the more looming problem is just how *flimsy* everything feels in the outdoor world. The game doesn't have to be a chore, but there's no danger in a game where everything dies in three seconds and can't kill you.

Blizzard needs to think hard about world-building. The entire outdoor experience feels like a really long, really boring theme park. Not to say that some of the quests aren't entertaining, because a few of them really are, but by and large it just feels utterly shallow compared to the quests in Vanilla/BC that took you all over the world and into dungeons and everything.

I guess in the back of my mind, it just screams of game designers no longer making games that they would want to play, but rather sitting around a conference table brainstorming ways to suck in non-gamers and in the process transforming the game into something that gamers don't give a shit about.
    Very well put!