Deleted

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Anza View Post

Decided to throw my opinion into a video as well.
    Nice video, good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Mate, I could be an arsehole and post like I have zero concept of bias, but im not going to, its no secret I support PServers but im also not going to say everything was 100% perfect, because nothing is.

So dont dive on me and misrepresent the words Im writing to fuel an agenda of hatred, its ridiculous.

I didnt mathematically map all my quests and determine a 90% probability of success, I used a ball park figure to give you an idea that sometimes a quest would be shitty, sometimes there were abilities that didnt work as intended. That doesnt imply they stayed that way, nor does it imply the game was unplayable.

If anything this was at least a successful venture into whether or not you actually take this conversation seriously.
    What I am saying in a 'non mean' way is that the PS had a lot more bugs than would be acceptable by Blizz. This is after a year of that server being up too. If there was that many issues running around no way in hell Blizz would have those people working on it if for some reason they 'hired' the Nost people to work for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    Which begs the question why don't Blizzard make their own legacy servers? I know it will fracture the community even further but there clearly is a demand for something like this. Heck, I'd give my left nut for a TBC server and I know my buddies would as well.
    They've changed quite a lot, not only WoW-related stuff, there's battle.net now, better and/or more optimal DB and Server set-ups and so on. Even if they had original code, they'd have perform a massive downgrade to make it run, downgrade is NEVER a good option, it may and often does lead to worse overall stability, so they'd have to rewrite major part of original code to make it work in today's environment. That's really expensive and long process.
    Last edited by ls-; 2016-04-11 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I don't know, but neither does anyone else know how many won't pay. But 150k isn't the only amount of players interested in this, it's not as if this is the only private server to exist ever, and that doesn't even include the people like me who would be interested, but don't want to play on a private server.
    Exactly, and I am a person who isn't willing to play on private servers for free, because of latency, usually a lot of the mechanics are off (apparently Nostalrius did a pretty good job), and of course the possibility of losing everything if they choose to shut down or are forced to. I can't be the only person like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    It wouldn't stand up to huge amounts of players / uses code that belongs to someone else, so is *very* limited.
    That's odd, because I saw a screenshot from Nostalrius that showed over 12,000 people logged on.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    This has been discussed before but here we go again. You want a TBC server, others want Wrath, some vanilla. Does each region get one? PVP or PVE? Both? What about RP's? What version of the expansion?
    Or how about having the servers ladder style, running concurrently? Patches would roll out in a period of 6 months and the whole thing would be for people to just get their nostalgia fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    That's not what I said at all. What I'm saying is if blizzard decided to work with a PS to make a vanilla server, similar to how Everquest did, then competition between the different teams putting it together with the chance of one or two being picked to move forward wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Except Blizzard isn't SOE or Daybreak or whomever controls EQ1 now. All that would do is have a rush of people making illegal servers to try and get Blizzard to hire them. I think Blizz does not want MORE private servers happening. WoW is a pay to play game, Everquest hasn't been for many years. So it wouldn't make sense to try and have competing free servers going up against a paid game. When it was Free-EQ vs fan-server free EQ it was a lot easier to just go to the one catering to 1999 play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    Exactly, and I am a person who isn't willing to play on private servers for free, because of latency, usually a lot of the mechanics are off (apparently Nostalrius did a pretty good job), and of course the possibility of losing everything if they choose to shut down or are forced to. I can't be the only person like that.
    You certainly are not. I stay away from Private Servers for those exact reasons.
    And sure, I'd love to mess around on Vanilla and even TBC, but I am not too keen on doing it on Illegal Private Servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Triks View Post
    Or how about having the servers ladder style, running concurrently? Patches would roll out in a period of 6 months and the whole thing would be for people to just get their nostalgia fix.
    Considering the current development cycles for Retail, what would happen if the Legacy servers caught up to Retail? Just roll back and start over like a Season system?
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    That's odd, because I saw a screenshot from Nostalrius that showed over 12,000 people logged on.
    in the scheme of wow players, that's really not a lot for a server. it's a decent number, but blizz servers tend to hold more than that.

Blizzard would care, do you honestly think they are going to half ass this?
    No, I think they're not gonna do it at all, but I'm not sure how having a working server is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    You're assuming that Blizzard hasn't done the math to find out if it's profitable or not. They've been asked thousands of times and keeps saying no. Why is that?
    How are they suppose to do the math to figure out how many people are interested in paying to play vanilla again without actually polling anyone?

They have absolutely no way of knowing. The only math they can do is figure out what they need to be profitable.

And forgive me if I find Blizzard's math a bit...well, bad. But remember the WoD launch fiasco. They couldn't even prepare the servers for the correct amount of players.

I'm not quite sure how that changes that it's still running and working. It would be like calling Nintendo out for having GBA games on the 3DS run through an emulator.
    Because why would Blizzard try and sell a commercial product running on a poorly coded emulator? Once you put a price tag on it, it's an entirely different matter. The illegal server won't run on Blizzard's hardware, and it's not a full implementation of a Blizzard blade cluster, anyway.

Things like this don't scale - emulating a single board hand held game is not the same thing as emulating a incredibly complex network (which is what a WoW server is) on a single blade.

The illegal server had the luxury of not having to do the pesky expensive things Blizzard would have to do:

Rewrite 10 year old server code for custom hardware.
    Provide ample bandwidth for stable pings for customers. Even Blizzard has struggled with this, and have done a pretty good job. One common complaint about the illegal server was the lag.
    Have tie-ins to customer support
    Have tie-ins to billing
    Have tie-ins to Battle.net
    Offer 24/7 uptime with character restoration when customers from exotic lands steal your account
    Provide security via the Authenticator
    Have every aspect of the game working, all realms, instances, continents, chat channels, etc.

This keeps popping up, and it's not going to change, no matter how many times it's challenged. What the illegal server did is several magnitudes easier than what Blizzard does, because they were faking it with open source databases and stolen alpha server code, and didn't have the responsibilities Blizzard has selling a legal product on the open market.

Considering the complaining and tantrums that happen when maintenance goes over schedule, you don't want vanilla servers that go offline constantly, crash, characters are lost or stolen and can't be recovered, and loot is lost when the server crashes and a small rollback is done. All of which Blizzard has to support - illegal servers don't.

Quote Originally Posted by wanna993 View Post
    You obviously didn't read his inital comment did you?

He implies the game improved, aka got better, which is not a fact. It's an opinion.
    So it makes me look like I can read and makes you look like an ___. Fill in the blank.

Because you don't compare classic to classic. You compare Blizzard classic to private server classic. A distinction, you seem to not understand or simply dismiss entirely. And nowhere did I state that a vanilla server released in 2016 would reach the numbers from 2006. Again, you're really amazing at "this" aren't you?
    HEY EVERYONE LOOK! THIS GUY DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WORDS!

Improved doesn't mean "best game". Are you saying nothing improved from game to game? An improved game doesn't mean the game is good. Again, stop assuming shit.

Apparently the Nost people say they were near identical. So, I can compare all I fucking want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

To everyone saying you don't like pservers because of the chance of losing your character: I have no regrets. The time I spent on Nostalrius is easily worth 5x the same time spent on any other game I've played in the past few years. Incredible community and supportive staff. Tons of content and even guilds competing with each other for speedruns.

Let me hit you with some straight up Vanilla knowledge, b

"It is better to quest and die, than never to have quested at all."

(I think they had to remove this loading screen tip because it's impossible to die while questing now).

Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    I actually posted 5-6 times on this thread. You have posted around 200 (???).

My last post wasnt attacking anyone but was just a tribute vid from nost which you can choose not to watch and move along. Instead you chose to attack me as well as countless other posters that defended Nost.

So if an active retail player that's having fun ingame is wasting enough time to read comments and post 200 times on a thread about a private server going down guess retail isn't going to well after all is it?

Keep afking in Garrison.And not a single proper raiding guild raids Mondays if content is on farm.

Also MMO champion chose to let this discussion open because its interesting so we post some links and staff from Nost mostly for people to see what was happening there and why it was fun. You will not be the one telling us what we can or cant post. If you dont like them move along and stop attacking people.
    You do know that some farm guilds raid one night a week right. What if that night picked was Monday. Blow your mind? See I can have fun in game and read things on a second monitor and enjoy the thread. I can post very quickly so my post count will of course go up. For your information I'm not 'afking' in garrison I am doing pet battles because I enjoy it and like having one of the best pet collections in the world.

I never said you can or can't post in these threads so I don't know where you got that idea. And if the mods feel I am 'attacking' people then it will be dealt with. If you feel that is the case then report me. Otherwise give it a rest with being the victim here. You are the one that lost your PS and raising a stink about it, not me.

And forgive me if I find Blizzard's math a bit...well, bad. But remember the WoD launch fiasco. They couldn't even prepare the servers for the correct amount of players.
    To be fair no one expected that many players, even the players themselves. I don't think any company would be ready for that explosive amount of users. I think it was 4 millions increase on release, maybe 3? That's insanely high, if you ask me. Although a lot of the problems on release were more than just handling players as a total, a lot of quests were breaking the servers.

Are you honestly suggesting suggesting blizzard has not looked into this?

I think this has been mentioned multiple times now (And by me), they have had no reason to. Even if they did the only time they even revealed that they considered this openly was back in 2008. To my knowledge there has been no public polls about this, nor did they even admit to looking for legacy servers through any public path. So it would've been kept secret, controlled tests -- all of which are worthless by now.
    Last edited by PenguinChan; 2016-04-11 at 06:21 PM.

Are you honestly suggesting suggesting blizzard has not looked into this?
    If that's really what you got out of it, then sure.

But what I said is what I said. They couldn't even properly prepare for the launch of WoD. They've never actually polled anyone to figure out how many people would be willing to pay.

All they know is what they need to make a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Disregarding the fact that adding one button back into the program, while quite complex on its own, is nowhere near close to re-implementing software that is over ten years old, which was designed to work with hardware rendered obsolete many years ago, Blizzard has shown that they listen to player feedback. We were not supposed to have flying at all in Warlords of Draenor, and the fact that the game world's skies were not designed to support flying, so much so they had to re-design the skies to remove invisible walls, but Blizzard listened and put flying back in, going through the trouble of removing all invisible barriers in the skies and removing flight bugs as well.

To say that Blizzard doesn't listen to player feedback is, at best, dishonest.
    You completely miss the point, on top of being completely wrong about the technical aspect...

No, I think they're not gonna do it at all, but I'm not sure how having a working server is a bad thing.

How are they suppose to do the math to figure out how many people are interested in paying to play vanilla again without actually polling anyone?

They have absolutely no way of knowing. The only math they can do is figure out what they need to be profitable.

They have all the data they need over 95 million accounts have closed. Even if .1%(POINT ONE PERCENT) of those people who closed their accounts said they wanted classic server, it's all the data they'll ever need to create one. They've also talked with thousands of players and they can see the success of private servers. 150k being the biggest doesn't bode well for convincing anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Yeah but thats basically a conspiracy theory, and considering they were very heavy handed when it came to gold selling I'd say its not a well thought out theory.

Im agreeing with you that its legally wrong but you need to meet me halfway and understand the purpose behind their actions.
    Heavy handed to perhaps remove competition and sell gold themselves. I mean gold selling still happened there just like it does in normal WoW however we can be pretty sure that Blizz isn't the one spam botting us to buy gold.

Yeah it is a conspiracy theory but I am pointing out that is very hard to take what Nost's "dev team" is saying and just believe it. Look, I get WHY they did it and it is a passion project and they love it and blah blah blah. But it does not mean everything they have said is truthful either. I need to be skeptical of things they say because they are trying to prove Vanilla would be viable and all I have to go on is the numbers they claim.

What if it came out later that it really WASN'T 800k people and was more like 400k and only 75k were logging in each 10 days. It wouldn't look a lot worse trying to say Vanilla could be viable. So what if they just doubled the numbers to make it look better. Who knows. We don't.

This has been discussed before but here we go again. You want a TBC server, others want Wrath, some vanilla. Does each region get one? PVP or PVE? Both? What about RP's? What version of the expansion?
    Man, those are some tough questions. Surely Blizzard would crumble under the weight of them.