Quote Originally Posted by Lorianus View Post
    Why is no one quoting what Allen Brack said after that sentence ?
    Probably becuase it's edited out of the clips going around. What does he say after that sentence? "Lok jokes, only kidding I'm sure you guys know what you want!"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorianus View Post
    Why is no one quoting what Allen Brack said after that sentence ?
    Because it doesn't fit their narrative

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I already pointed out the ridiculousness of treating an inconsequential IP violation as if it was a major crime, especially considering it didn't bring any amount of gain to the guy who commited it. That's just clownish.
    Jail time and fines is pretty serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    I'm saying quality assurance would not cost as much as some people think it would. Sure it will have some cost, but enough to make the project not worth undertaking? I very seriously doubt that.
    Oh okay, yeah I agree with that then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    It does? I'll check.
    I suppose there was a difference between the Timelocked and the EQ1999 server? But I haven't checked up on the new server, always assumed the old transferred into the new. I'm not even sure now, because the last time I checked timelocked was the legacy for EQ.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    So you guys want vanilla servers... I'm hoping these guys just go and create a better mmo... nothing says "FUCK YOU!" better than competition.
    hu? these guys want vanilla not some other mmo, of which exists plenty....

It does? I'll check.
    Yeah the time locked EQ server is part of the All Acsess Daybreak thing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    To be fair I've seen growing sentiment to treat Pserver progress like a Diablo3 season. Everyone starts off with a 0 progress toon and you have "arbitrary duration" to see how progressed you can get Certainly an interesting take on the situation.
    haha that is a pretty creative look on it, I'll give them that. I do like me some D3 seasonal play.

Actually, I'm not 'underestimating' anything. I fully conceded that creating a 'start button' functionality is complex, but you're just overestimating it as it is not that complicated. The Start button is practically nothing but a small window of shortcuts to other programs. It doesn't have any particular functionality of its own. It's not that complicated.

Re-working a decade-old software to work it with current-date Battle.net infrastructure, as well as current-date server hardware and current-date operating systems, on the other hand, is complicated, because you'll basically be changing the software's 'core', so to speak, to make it compatible with the newer hardware and OS.
    It took MS a lot of time and a whole different OS to bring it back fully, and they have a whole order of magnitude more resources than Blizzard.
    Blizzard could integrate old games which have been outdated for years into Battle.net, despite them not having been big hits for a very long time and don't even bring in subcription money.
    From this, I'm pretty sure I can guesstimate it's actually not that hard to rework decade-old software to work it with current-date B.net infrastructure.
    No, it means you lack reading comprehension, because I fully addressed your point in my post, pointing out that Blizzard does go back on their decisions thanks to player feedback, citing the 'flight in WoD' thing. Of course, you seem to either lack the reading comprehension to understand it, or, in your own words, 'purposely avoided the answer'.
    My point was to disprove the claim that "Blizzard knows better if it's profitable to make legacy servers". You're then telling me that I lack reading comprehension and argue about "Blizzard follows feedback". Either I've mixed my line of argument with another discussion (in which case I apologize), or you're the one who should take your own advice (and in which case you should tone the contempt down).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanBread View Post
    werent the guys who made WoW Everquest players and wanted to make the MMO they wanted I remember that from a retrospective of Game trailers so yea they should make their own MMO but yea work is hard and we have Wildstar to see how well a "hardcore" mmo does in todays market.
    Nom they liked EQ yes but they wanted something more easy accessible to the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    I suppose there was a difference between the Timelocked and the EQ1999 server? But I haven't checked up on the new server, always assumed the old transferred into the new. I'm not even sure now, because the last time I checked timelocked was the legacy for EQ.
    Timelocked is a progression server that started at Base game and then was voted on when the next expansion would come out. I think it will progress quite a ways. The p1999 servers is only the base game and first 2 expansions I believe with no plans to go further that I knew of.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    And call my a cynic but no, I don't think the "ethics" of the situation is what has people so riled up, simply because they wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning is such breaches of ethics upset them so much
    Exactly. Hence why I call BS on the "honesty crusade" about all these "thieves" (notwithstanding that IP violation is not theft, as the concepts are different and even the laws about them are different, but this one always fall in deaf ears).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    So yet again, moot point. There's no point in debating it because all we have is their word for it.
    Its not a moot point though. Because you are justifying the morality of the entire issue based on a supposed statement that they actually lost money by running Nostalrius.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    They have an odd way of stealing, if they lose money from the process.

Not debating the legality of it, but they weren't making money from this. So yeah, I see no reason to believe they're liars if they invested their own money into this out of love for the game.
    I don't think someone would try to get Legacy servers going by investing their own money into making a private server for people to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkLazorz View Post
    Because it doesn't fit their narrative
    Actually, yeah it does.

https://youtu.be/r0dvwGcZlnI?t=29m59s

Here it is.

EDIT: I typed out J Allen Brack's response for those who don't wish to watch the video. Punctuation is to emphasize speech.

Q: "Uh, have you ever thought about adding servers for previous expansion as they were then?"

A: "No. And, and by the way, you don't want to that, to do that, either. You think you, do but you don't. Remember, when you had to like, spam cities and say 'need a tank - need a tank - need a tank' during the burning crusade days? You dont remember that, because now you just push a button that says go to the dungeon. You don't want to do that... Remember that one bug that really pissed you off that we fixed like two years ago? Still there in the past."
    Last edited by Goondicker; 2016-04-11 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    haha that is a pretty creative look on it, I'll give them that. I do like me some D3 seasonal play.
    Have you or any of your friends ever uttered the sentiment regarding WoW:

"It's not the destination, it's the journey that matters"

Well, these classic servers provide a game in which the journey matters, rather than rushing you to the destination. As a result, having to reroll isn't the worst thing to happen, I mean I'd be very surprised if the majority of these players haven't rerolled a Warcraft character twenty times or more
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    I would be surprised if they can shut down the ones in Russia. Wherever the safe haven is; that is where they will all go. Blizzard is powerful, but they have limits.
    Not really. There is no mythical country that's a copyright infringing haven, at least no developed countries that can provide the kind of hosting that would be required. Me, personally, I don't want to know what the ping from NA to russia would be, lol.

The only countries that don't belong to the WIPO are small countries in Africa, run by warlords, or North Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    Here it is.
    He really picked a terrible example as an immediate follow up The comment regarding bugs wasn't unfair though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    hu? these guys want vanilla not some other mmo, of which exists plenty....
    Well small minds...

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadeMiner View Post
    Another gem on the Nostalrius forums
    Funny because 'make the game easier' was reached mainly by listening to players' feedback...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shifuren View Post
    Don't know about him, but i did. They wont gonna pay.
    case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Its not a moot point though. Because you are justifying the morality of the entire issue based on a supposed statement that they actually lost money by running Nostalrius.
    No, I'm not. Nowhere did I say they DID lose money, yet again, I said IF.

Big difference. And it's still a moot point, because you have your belief that they're guilty already, and I believe they're innocent until proven guilty of actually making a profit off of it. So with that, I'm dropping that debate, because it's really just going in a pointless circle.