Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy Help me to calm down, help me to see the good, and cope with the bad.

Alright folks, this one probably won't be for everyone. Enough background to get you to know what I'm dealing with, I have an untreated/unmedicated anxiety disorder. I don't fall into panic/anxiety attacks, but rather, I get exceedingly uncomfortable, I worry, I (literally) shit my pants if I hear something that creeps me out), and I want to cope better. Not necessarily through medicine, however. And yes, I have a history with serious depression.

With everything going on in the world, my Christian upbringing (and belief still in it) unnerve me. This is not meant to be a conspiracy-theory thread, rather, one to get me to see the good, to see around the conspiracies, to deal with them better if they hit a nerve (see above), and overall promote good health. I've been trying to immediately search "debunked" type stuff whenever I hear about some new theory, sometimes I get something, sometimes I don't, Agenda 2030, stuff about the Pope, the Bulgarian lady who predicted a bunch of stuff, but what really chills me to the core is how much so many of these things are either talked about/certain aspects are happening, all in the same time-frame. What doesn't help is the stress the world is going through, what with the Muslim hate and the Muslim refugees, and so many countries going through their own issues. I'm very empathetic and hate to see others in pain, I'm scared it's only going to get worse. I hate seeing my family in pain, I hate seeing strangers in pain. It hurts me. If I see you cry? I'll probably cry.

I guess a big thing that probably got a lot of this started that I've not been able to shake ever since, is in 2007 I was dating this girl who said she believed we'd all be dead in 10 years. She didn't specify how, why, etc, she just said she had this gut feeling. As the 10 years, probably through bias but also some of the drama that's been allowed to grow during these years, my gut has just been getting sick as these 10 years have crept by. A lot of people talk about 2016 like it's a huge year and I am trying to find ways to argue against it. What I have noticed is how most of these people are often folks in my generation (20s, maybe 30s, and younger) the baby boomers like my parents aren't quite as bothered. Is it because they've lived through and seen plenty to know this is just how life works? Or is because maybe they aren't as tuned in? The internet is a wonderful and a terrible thing: it's allowing me to reach out to countless people who may be able to help, but then again, there's also all the people on the internet who used to look weird with their "THE END IS NIGH" signs at the market now able to more easily say "THIS THIS AND THAT" and here's some foreboding music and imagery, and thus, instead of only reaching a few people at the market, through the internet, they reach unprecedented numbers.

I guess what I'm asking is: how to deal with this when I hear it? How to brush it off? Obviously some stuff is real, people are dying, there is drama in the world, people are angry, people are poor, people are hungry, but how do I focus on the good, also? I know one guy who I work with who literally reads conspiracies for fun sometimes, he finds them interesting. They don't bother him at all. Even the bad ones. Hell, he doesn't seem bothered by much at all. How does one do this? I don't necessarily not want to care, but rather, I just want to stop letting every little thing that happens affect me. I want to be able to go for 3 days straight without worrying, you know?

Sorry for the wall of text/horrible wording, this is just something I've been bottling up and I just hope someone can read through it all and understand what I'm going through. I realize I more than likely should see a psychologist/therapist, but I'm not in the best situation for that, at the moment.

Thanks a lot, to any and all who reply with anything remotely helpful.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

You need to see a psychiatrist.

IBTL

Yeah, see a doctor.... we can't guarantee it will help but its the best option when asking a gaming forum.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Yeah, see a doctor.... we can't guarantee it will help but its the best option when asking a gaming forum.
    Guess I just like seeing what others do to cope with stress/anxiety, especially if they can't see a doctor.
    "A flower.

See a therapist for cognitive behavioral therapy.
    Cut out all stimulants (caffeine, nicotine, recreational drugs).
    Take vitamin supplements that decrease anxiety (C, B vitamins, Magnesium). Other supplements that may be of marginal benefit include melatonin, 5-HTP, GABA (not recommended if you are on a tight budget).
    Exercise in particular is wonderful for anxiety, several studies have shown that it is as or more effective as psychotherapy and nearly as effective as anxiety medication.

You can look this stuff up, check out Google Scholar for "nutrition + anxiety" and "exercise + anxiety" or utilize an academic search engine.
    CBT will be helpful for you, seriously look into finding a therapist.

Meditation (or prayer, if you consider yourself spiritual) is also helpful. Good luck.

Edit: More specific to your post...people have been claiming that the world is going to end for literally thousands of years now. It's probably not going to happen anytime soon, don't worry about it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Someone's title is totally fitting!

I've always found embracing nihilism and not worrying about it to work ok for me.

Basically this without the heroine:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    See a therapist for cognitive behavioral therapy.
    Cut out all stimulants (caffeine, nicotine, recreational drugs).
    Take vitamin supplements that decrease anxiety (C, B vitamins, Magnesium). Other supplements that may be of marginal benefit include melatonin, 5-HTP, GABA (not recommended if you are on a tight budget).
    Exercise in particular is wonderful for anxiety, several studies have shown that it is as or more effective as psychotherapy and nearly as effective as anxiety medication.

You can look this stuff up, check out Google Scholar for "nutrition + anxiety" and "exercise + anxiety" or utilize an academic search engine.
    CBT will be helpful for you, seriously look into finding a therapist.

Meditation (or prayer, if you consider yourself spiritual) is also helpful. Good luck.
    Thank you for this. I likely take a bit more caffeine than I should, however it's become tough to do anything without my morning Joe. =/

I have been walking more, I just wish its effects lasted longer than mostly just while walking, you know? Can't just go for walks all the time. :P

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Someone's title is totally fitting!
    Would it surprise you it was the title I was most proud of in WoW? :P
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Thank you for this. I likely take a bit more caffeine than I should, however it's become tough to do anything without my morning Joe. =/

I have been walking more, I just wish its effects lasted longer than mostly just while walking, you know? Can't just go for walks all the time. :P

Would it surprise you it was the title I was most proud of in WoW? :P
    Celista is real life MMO-C therapist.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    I've always found embracing nihilism and not worrying about it to work ok for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naf_WiEb9Qs
    I'll put it simply: I simply am not capable of that. Thank you, though.
    "A flower.

You're welcome. I had to write a paper on anxiety disorders and treatment methods for a graduate course. The effects of exercise do last longer than the duration of the activity but you don't necessarily feel it. Gentle exercise like yoga/walking is enough to show a benefit, 3-5 days a week is best.

"Mindfulness" is another practice that some people are really into in regards to alternative treatment approaches to depression/anxiety but I'm not terribly impressed with the research (edit: outside of its utilization in CBT approaches, at least. It works pretty well in conjunction with methods that help to stop negative thought patterns).

Btw the worst time to take caffeine is in the AM, because your cortisol levels are highest then. Try to hold off until mid-afternoon, when you typically get a slump after lunch. It will help keep your cortisol in check.

Vitamin C and B vitamins are especially good because they support your adrenal glands and C has a mitigating effect on cortisol somewhat.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll put it simply: I simply am not capable of that. Thank you, though.
    Bullshit. Stop doubting yourself. You will not be able to get over anxiety without first believing you are stronger than it.

" I have an untreated/unmedicated anxiety disorder."

So get it treated. What do you think we're going to psychically heal you over the internet? You know the problem. You can fix it or you can keep being miserable. Its really up to you though.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Bullshit. Stop doubting yourself. You will not be able to get over anxiety without first believing you are stronger than it.
    I mean nihilism.

- - - Updated - - -

You're welcome. I had to write a paper on anxiety disorders and treatment methods for a graduate course. The effects of exercise do last longer than the duration of the activity but you don't necessarily feel it. Gentle exercise like yoga/walking is enough to show a benefit, 3-5 days a week is best.

"Mindfulness" is another practice that some people are really into in regards to alternative treatment approaches to depression/anxiety but I'm not terribly impressed with the research.

Btw the worst time to take caffeine is in the AM, because your cortisol levels are highest then. Try to hold off until mid-afternoon, when you typically get a slump after lunch. It will help keep your cortisol in check.

Vitamin C and B vitamins are especially good because they support your adrenal glands and C has a mitigating effect on cortisol somewhat.
    It's such a shame, because for instance, my parents aren't nearly as anxious/worried as I am, but both of them drink coffee in the AM. Although I know they don't drink as much as I do...
    "A flower.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean nihilism.
    Oh. I do apologize then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post

isn't nihilism that phase teenagers/stoners go through?
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2016-04-12 at 04:39 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think an important thing (That largely helps me when it comes to stress/anxiety in general) is basically to not fret over things you can't change.

Keep in mind a few things.

Yes, there is shitty stuff going on in the world right now. But there has always been shitty stuff going on, and worse so. Things are just more sensationalized now, with communication methods and instant responses. People get spun up into a tizzy over ultimately stupid shit, or largely inconsequential things. Even the big events we seem to think are a big deal right now are largely going to be footnotes a decade from now, and we'll have some other thing to deal with.

If you can't easily change something, don't stress over it. That doesn't mean it's not important, or you shouldn't care... But it's not worth stressing over. Especially if it doesn't have any effect on you in a practical manner. If you want to be 'useful' to society, you need to be useful to yourself, first.

If there ARE things you can change in your life without having to make bad choices to do it, then do it. It will give you better perspective, and also the act of completion and accomplishment is known to help with anxiety control.

Look into goal setting. I've often heard that conspiracy stuff thrives on 'idle hands'. If it actually bothers you and causes problems, keep busy. Set schedules and routines.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Oh. I do apologize then.
    No need to apologize, you contributed with your own theory. It just isn't the theory for me. Sometimes I wish I could be like that, but I just can't, for whatever reason.
    "A flower.

"Mindfulness" is another practice that some people are really into in regards to alternative treatment approaches to depression/anxiety but I'm not terribly impressed with the research.

This is exactly why I try to get my anxious/depressed friend to go for walks, but its rough his depression makes him stay in bed all day sometimes.

The important thing is to push yourself to do things sometimes even when you don't feel like it when you know they are good for you.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2016-04-12 at 04:44 AM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I think an important thing (That largely helps me when it comes to stress/anxiety in general) is basically to not fret over things you can't change.

Keep in mind a few things.

Yes, there is shitty stuff going on in the world right now. But there has always been shitty stuff going on, and worse so. Things are just more sensationalized now, with communication methods and instant responses. People get spun up into a tizzy over ultimately stupid shit, or largely inconsequential things. Even the big events we seem to think are a big deal right now are largely going to be footnotes a decade from now, and we'll have some other thing to deal with.

If you can't easily change something, don't stress over it. That doesn't mean it's not important, or you shouldn't care... But it's not worth stressing over. Especially if it doesn't have any effect on you in a practical manner. If you want to be 'useful' to society, you need to be useful to yourself, first.

If there ARE things you can change in your life without having to make bad choices to do it, then do it. It will give you better perspective, and also the act of completion and accomplishment is known to help with anxiety control.

Look into goal setting. I've often heard that conspiracy stuff thrives on 'idle hands'. If it actually bothers you and causes problems, keep busy. Set schedules and routines.
    Thanks chazus!

The thing is I've heard about not worrying about things out of my control, but I hate that they are. I try not to but it still drives me up the wall...
    "A flower.